FIFA 10

So what serious bugs are left in MM now? I take it we can still be sacked for winning the league?

Is it worth starting a MM?
I think it's worth starting a Manager Mode game now. There's still a lot of stupid issues - the list I put together got up to 73 things I think, so if they've fixed 6 then obviously there's still 67 things left that range from buggy to frustrating.

But for me, the main issues are fixed (excluding a few rare game-crashers that thankfully, I haven't experienced yet). The 2 biggest remaining issues for me are 1) the games still being played at night in the rain 95 times out of 100, and 2) the tactics issue where all teams below the Premier League have all-70s set for their tactics. That is, IMO, the most serious thing they have yet to fix (but I've been told they will fix this, it's just a question of when, so perhaps you should wait for that).

I've fixed it myself for now, which I really didn't want to do out of principle (everything's fine in the database, it's the export process that has wiped the data for certain clubs). But following the tactics thread I've made up 20 sets of tactics and assigned them to teams based on their formations and star ratings. I can enjoy Manager Mode now because I'm not being pressed to death every game. I'm really enjoying it now.

(Incidentally, from having a quick glance, the all-70s tactics teams/leagues seem to be; English Premier League [the promoted 3, Birmingham, Burnley and Wolves], English Championship, English League 1, English League 2, Australian league, Brazilian league, Republic of Ireland league, Rest of World league, Scottish league.)

---

I've been playing PES 2010 and even though - I have to admit - I think it's enjoyable, in-fact I'd go as far as to say it's the best PES game I've played in a long time, there's still far too many situations in the gameplay I CANNOT STAND. Examples; where the player will hit an absolutely shit shot (a "piddler" or a "put it into orbit") just because someone is e.g. running up BEHIND you; where you're shoulder-to-shoulder with the attacking player and yet your button presses are just completely ignored so that he can get a shot off; where you're by the sideline and press the opposite direction - literally for two seconds or more sometimes - and the player will just run off the pitch with it.

Plus I feel like with the new reaction times, even though they're improved from the demo, dribbling is just horrible. I loved the dribbling in PES 2009, in-fact I think it was my favourite thing about the game, but now I feel like you just run into a crowd of defenders and hope that the stats let you come out the other side. The game relies on stats far too much for my liking but then that's exactly what others love about the game so much, so... Each to his own.

It AMAZES me, it really does, how the games have - IMO - COMPLETELY swapped roles 100%. FIFA, with all the gameplay advances they've made (despite things like player switching being iffy), is a great game on the pitch, but with at best a shoddy Manager Mode, at worst a broken one. Modes like Be A Pro are pretty sterile as well, you can't get substituted or win awards like in PES.

PES with its Champions League and Europa League integration, plus all the teams I've never heard of who are involved (Unirea comes to mind), plus the training options in the Master League, is just brilliant off the pitch, something I prayed for forever. In-fact the only things missing are manager movement and real lower-league teams. But on the pitch I just can't enjoy it when it still has all the things I hate about it.

I love FIFA 10, in the Manager Mode, with Legendary AI and custom tactics set for all the ballsed-up teams. I think it's a great game. It's just a kick in the teeth (especially after all the promises) that there's so many MM issues and shortcomings.

Last edited:
I've just started a Manager Mode again with Spurs. Really pleased the form bug seems to have been rectified, as that was one issue that really narked me originally.

Won my first game 1-0. Obviously gameplay doesn't appear to have been touched - as stated - but I wasn't overly concerned with that anyway.

It's good to be back in the saddle, so to speak. For now, at least :))

Chris, this is a big ask but any chance of typing up the tactics you created and the teams you gave them to? I don't fancy playing a MM and playing the same tactics 42 times all season.

From what I have read the problem with this game franchise is that the customer is always the beta tester for next years game, if that makes sense. They work on a game until they run out of time, the customer critiques it and they use that info to improve it and that is the game you play next year, as such you are never getting a fully finished game.

I did not play more than a couple of hours of FIFA 09(demo) but apart from the 360 movement does this years game feel more like a patched 09 than a new game?

I feel that in this day of downloadable content & fan sites there is no need(except the obvious finacial one) to keep giving us a new game every year, especially if its going to be half assed. Just give us squad & kit updates(for free seeing you are helping with their development process) and keep taking feedback and produce a game that is bug free, really polished & really what the customer wants in 2 year gaps. One year is just clearly not enough time.

The customer loyalty & satisfaction they would build if you felt like you were actually contributing to a game and the said game was something of real quality instead of something that is a sometimes an unplayable frustrating mess, would be amazing.

Or alternatively they could actually test their game properly before releasing it.

From what I have read the problem with this game franchise is that the customer is always the beta tester for next years game, if that makes sense. They work on a game until they run out of time, the customer critiques it and they use that info to improve it and that is the game you play next year, as such you are never getting a fully finished game.

I did not play more than a couple of hours of FIFA 09(demo) but apart from the 360 movement does this years game feel more like a patched 09 than a new game?

I feel that in this day of downloadable content & fan sites there is no need(except the obvious finacial one) to keep giving us a new game every year, especially if its going to be half assed. Just give us squad & kit updates(for free seeing you are helping with their development process) and keep taking feedback and produce a game that is bug free, really polished & really what the customer wants in 2 year gaps. One year is just clearly not enough time.

The customer loyalty & satisfaction they would build if you felt like you were actually contributing to a game and the said game was something of real quality instead of something that is a sometimes an unplayable frustrating mess, would be amazing.

Or alternatively they could actually test their game properly before releasing it.

I would agree but it isnt going to happen. These games are money spinners and there is no way they could justify 2 year releases to there shareholders. It seem's EA's NHL game has got the same problem. 09 blew people away while 10 built on this without really bringing much new stuff to the table.

I think with EA having an MMA and boxing game with bi-annual releases for both is great but it will never be the case with the big money titles like Madden, NBA, Fifa etc

Chris, this is a big ask but any chance of typing up the tactics you created and the teams you gave them to? I don't fancy playing a MM and playing the same tactics 42 times all season.
All I did was make up Neo's tactics for the big four (plus Stoke and Wigan I think he did as well). Then I made up my own for the three promoted sides (slightly long-ball but not completely, differing in as much as Birmingham are a bit more patient, Burnley a bit more direct and Wolves a bit of a mixture), and one for Man City to make it ten.

From there I put in the high tempo, counter attack, possession, organised, direct and long-ball tactics Neo created, plus a generic Championship, League 1 and League 2 tactic (not to be used for every team but for a few), and finally Tranmere's horribly patient tactics but with some specific updates in certain areas.

There's no point in me typing them all out as I'm not going hugely in-depth with them, I'm not an expert and I've just put them together to try and see some more variation in my game. I don't *actually* know the difference between Barnsley and Brentford, but I can't find a list of team styles or manager styles anywhere, so... I've just looked at the formations and how compact/stretched the lines are, and made an educated guess. So basically, I've just gone around randomly assigning them.

You also need to fix the opponent's team for every match (if you care about their crappy AI selection).
I will be doing that as well, especially when the CPU decides to play the CBs as wing-backs and the wing-backs as CBs...

EDIT: Oh and I meant to mention, lots of complaints about the stadium names being reset with this latest patch but I haven't suffered from that (thank God when I've renamed literally every single one). I wonder why?

Last edited:
the tactics issue where all teams below the Premier League have all-70s set for their tactics. That is, IMO, the most serious thing they have yet to fix (but I've been told they will fix this, it's just a question of when, so perhaps you should wait for that).

Chris, where do you see this?

I am playing MM with leads but how do you see the stats for teams? just before the kit selection I see the 3 bars flash up, but I can tell they are not all 70.

Are you talking about somewhere else?

Shooto, not stats, tactics.

Go into Team Management from the main menu, select any League One team. Charlton, Leeds, Yeovil... Go to "Custom Tactics" and observe. All of the tactics are set to 70.

This means every team below the Premier League is set to play exactly the same way - including pressing the buggering Jesus out of you.

ah I see.

I am about 20 games in with Leeds. I havnt really noticed it being the same, but I havnt played those games consecutively.

You say on FSB that a quick fix may be coming?

I guess they will just randomize them and assigning to each team, though it would be nicer if the tactics were based on the types of players they have.

A fix is coming, maybe not a quick one because it could be weeks away. ;)

All the teams have their own tactics in the database at EA HQ, but for some reason they haven't been exported properly for certain teams (see my post above for the list). So all they've got to do is export them correctly and distribute a fix. Apparently it's not that easy though...

But for now I've got around this by creating a bunch of generic ones and randomly assigning them, meaning I'm now seeing some much more realistic games and lots less constant pressing from the CPU. Far more enjoyable IMO and you see teams just whacking the ball up-front in hope of getting something, as well as teams who pass it around waiting for the perfect chance. On Legendary I'm seeing things now that make me realise the AI is actually quite decent, when the tactics are right...

Chris, just for the record, the brazilian tatics are not all 70s... our problem is taht somehow they have the same tatics as in FIFA09?!?!?!

I triple checked every team in the WWEditor and i can assure that theyre all updated and correct, but ingame theyre the same as last year, wich brings me to the conclusion that our tatics did not get exported over their old(used in 09) squad file.

I guess I've found the way to get around rainy night matches and that is just to edit ever stadium you think you would play in.

This is probably known to most here, but just edit night setting stadiums to dusk or day only and you will get a good variety. However, I've had one night game and 2 overcast dry games so far in my MM.

I am very glad about the patch, and very pleased to hear a squad update to fix the team tactis is up to come (in a few weeks :YAWN: ), but this makes me very angry:

Originally posted by PWride

8. Thanks for addressing these issues EA. Should make MM a lot more playable. Just to confirm though, the patch will not be fixing the bizarre weather conditions and time of day in MM matches?

DR - No it will not. We’re limited on the size of the update – so focuses specifically on areas that effected playability, rather than authenticity.

I have played some MM matches, and it still rains all the time. Not only in England, but effects obviously also Austria ;)
This remains the most annoying bug for me at the moment, because it destroys the atmosphere every game.
Seems like I need to try the workaround and in worst case do it before every match :FAIL:

I've just started a Manager Mode again with Spurs. Really pleased the form bug seems to have been rectified, as that was one issue that really narked me originally.

Won my first game 1-0. Obviously gameplay doesn't appear to have been touched - as stated - but I wasn't overly concerned with that anyway.

It's good to be back in the saddle, so to speak. For now, at least :))

So apart from form not affecting physical attributes it is now applied correctly as well?

Well i can definately confirm that my stadiums have been put back to their default status. Maybe its just PS3 that this has affected. Great!

I was just thinking of finally starting a MM campaign but whats the point if there is going to be a squad update in the near future thats going to wipe out all my stadiums (again) and change all the squad tactics. Why EA? Why do you manage to mess everything up even when your fixing things. Im no programmer but surely you can update the squads without messing with the stadiums. It takes bloody ages doing them.

And when are we going to actually get an explanation for all of these cock ups? Not one word of why all of these bugs were missed. I want to know what happened.....and NOW

The way EA programs their games is horrible. How is a patch that that does not affect the database screw up your stadiums and transfers? Another is the menus!!! Why is it that whenever EA redoes the design of their menus they always remove things from the previous year. Why not make the menus so that when you want to change the look of them you just make it so they can be changed by way of skins like you see with FIREFOX!!! It's a lot easier!!! This year once again they added things and they have removed things. Why the hell when you click a player bio you cannot see their current overall and their actual overall? Why in online leagues can I not use unique rosters anymore? Pisses me off to no end.

Last edited:
I am very glad about the patch, and very pleased to hear a squad update to fix the team tactis is up to come (in a few weeks :YAWN: ), but this makes me very angry:

I have played some MM matches, and it still rains all the time. Not only in England, but effects obviously also Austria ;)
This remains the most annoying bug for me at the moment, because it destroys the atmosphere every game.
Seems like I need to try the workaround and in worst case do it before every match :FAIL:

Well maybe if they are limited on the size of the patch due to Sony and Microsoft they maybe fixed more but just couldn't include it.

Lets face it they will be starting Fifa 11 and they know these bugs must be fixed for then as it's only really code tweaking that will happen, so they must be sorting those issues now before the real work happens.

I think we will see more from them when the new roster update lands as if anything this has hurt their reputation and ego's and i'm sure they want to address it.

Is there a list of things that the patch has changed? I don't seem to find any, sorry if I've missed it blatantly, I'm in a big work overload and need to read the forums now and then to have a break.

Well maybe if they are limited on the size of the patch due to Sony and Microsoft they maybe fixed more but just couldn't include it.

The patch was like 34mb or something? Seems small, sure there's been bigger patches than that before, worst case, have they never heard of free DLC? Some devs actually do that.......

The patch was like 34mb or something? Seems small, sure there's been bigger patches than that before, worst case, have they never heard of free DLC? Some devs actually do that.......

Yeah right. I think they do what was necessary to make this game at least playable. Now they go on with normal business and that means working on FIFA11. Anything else would be surprising to me to be honest.

Last edited:

Two points:

- why hasn't the option to choose the weather in MM been in there in the first place
- you don't really think a working code to randomize the weather on a roughly realistic basis takes too much size in the patch, do you?

Yep, and I'm sure a lot has to do with tweaking it to suit on-line play 1on1, they seem to have neglected off line as well and as a result all teams play the same, DIV2 sides give the same game as Arsenal or Barca... :RANT:

Every team pretty much plays the same online. As Didier Drogba so eloquently put it, "It's a fucking disgrace!":)) But seriously, I used to have fun (relatively speaking) in FIFA 09 playing with a buddy with 2 ANYs. With the pressure now it's impossible. Even on slow settings. We can't play with any teams the way that they normally would. Barça, Milan, United, Arsenal, we just have to pass for our lives and run away from people. Why is it so easy to barge people off of the ball?!

Fifa 10 stays a strictly online experience for me. Real Shame but I cant be bothered to go through the frstrations of MM

Lol, what modes do you play because I seriously can't understand what mode you could play online that would give you any sort of satisfaction. Unless you don't use manual and don't try to play realistically. Not saying that that's what you do but unless you're playing ONLY 1 v 1 matches with buddies, everything is on Normal speed and superfast. I've still not found a manual match in 1 v 1 when searching.

Dunno if it's just me or if EA have done something to the game in the last few days but I've fallen in love with it again tonight. I just played 6 fully manual games in a row online(playing as Arsenal then Chelsea) and everything just seemed to flow so well. The ball went where I pointed, my players did what I wanted them to and the responsiveness was spot on. Thats the best games I've had since the game came out. Managing the find manual games now more often than not.

How's it play now? Are the manual players that you encounter pressure whores? And if so, how are you playing around them without ping-pong passing? Also, does it feel to you that manual might have actually gotten a little bit of an assist implemented in it. I ask because I just finished a 2 v 2 (had to go to a lobby for this) where I set the control to manual and the speed to slow and of course we had no time on the ball, but at one point the ball gets deflected out to Pato (after I was fouled in the box after trying to shoot and my player not responding) and I'm just hammering away at the B button because I'm so pissed and the ball just flies into the top corner on a volley. I didn't direct it, I wasn't even trying to shoot. This of course isn't the only time that I've noticed that some of my shots and passes are a little too perfect sometimes. I'm not THAT good at manual.

Playing this again today after a week.
At 1st I was really getting into it but 4 or so games later I was bored of it.

I'm still gobsmacked at the rave reveiws this game got. There are so many glaring faults that kill the game off completely.
- Individualism
Every player is the same. Messi IRL is characteristic because of his technique and low centre of gravity, which is pretty non existent in Fifa 10.
- Shooting
Is horrendous, kicking a ball in FIFA is as frustrating as trying to kick a balloon 5 m in a gale force wind blowing in the opposite direction.
- AI
N. Korea=Italy=Orlando Pirates=Barcelona
- Scripting
I play on semi passing and can push it around pretty well but for some perculiar reason when I am close to goal the CPU decides where my pass should go i.e. the opposition defender.
Also when I concede a goal it doesn't feel as if I could have avoided it in any way at all.
- Ball physics
There's also the matter of a ball swerving in insane directions particularly when crossing close to the goal line.
When I take a throw in along the touchline I am sure the receiver is also out of play.
- Animations as great as the animations are it's crazy the way Goalkeepers dive at a balloon that they could've walked up to and collected. Also players tend to bounce 3m away when tackled.

I think I have given this a fair go now and would say that this is a 7/10
Well done EA for selling this crap by the bucket loads on hype alone.
CIAO

First played 5 games PES 2010 against a mate and after that switched to FIFA 10... It's just night and day guys. PES 2010 is not as bad I exepted, but the controls are just to heavy. FIFA 10 is just right in terms of movement.

Well done EA (and Konami aswell)

Back
Top Bottom