FIFA 10

Silly collision detection in this clip. It's stuff like this that makes you wonder how scripted everything really is. The keeper gets in the players way and nudge him so he can't get to the ball, but the game had already decided that he was going to head it the way he did.

YouTube - FIFA 10 - Great collision detection

I think you'll find that isn't scripting. I'm not really sure where the concept of scripting started, but it's a ridiculous buzzword. That's a bug, simple.

This game still suffers from the variety of the physics. Players can deal with most encounters but every so often - enough to be a problem - they'll come up with a situation and a ball height or pace or spin et cetera which they don't have the animations to deal with, and it hurts the game severely.

I wish EA would have the balls to get rid of assisted. I really do. It kills this game for so many people and they never even realise it.

I think you'll find that isn't scripting. I'm not really sure where the concept of scripting started, but it's a ridiculous buzzword. That's a bug, simple.

The concept of scripting started as the opposite of "dynamic". Why would you class this as a bug? The problem in this situation is that the moment my player jumps it calculates the outcome, but then the keeper gets in the way but the calculated result still goes. If it wasn't "scripted" and more "dynamic" the game would realize that my player couldn't head the ball anymore.

This game still suffers from the variety of the physics. Players can deal with most encounters but every so often - enough to be a problem - they'll come up with a situation and a ball height or pace or spin et cetera which they don't have the animations to deal with, and it hurts the game severely.

I wish EA would have the balls to get rid of assisted. I really do. It kills this game for so many people and they never even realise it.

Exactly. I think scripting is being used a hell of a lot and rather unfairly. Coding any game, but particularly a sports game, is incredibly fucking hard. It's hardly a case of speaking clearly into a microphone. Obviously a lot of the issues EA have not spotted are absurd quality control issues but things like the odd failure in the physics system are hardly something to get angry at EA about. We're talking about a game where they have tried to eradicate a staple of the football genre - the magic contactless contact with the ball - and have almost done it. Occasionally, it will go wrong. That's unavoidable. It's a bug though, not malicious scripting.

I think you've both taken Gab's post out of context and are twisting what he's said, but congratulations on sounding like a smug condecending twat Rodelero.

The concept of scripting started as the opposite of "dynamic".

Which is ridiculous. All games are 'scripted' by definition. They can only present the illusion of not being scripted. The term scripted has been used for every single thing since the year dot. It's a ridiculous statement which can be fitted to mean almost anything because it DOES mean almost anything.

I could understand the use of it when the ball was still tied to the animations - I can understand the use of it when talking about the AI... but what does 'scripted' actually MEAN in a situation like this?

The game calculates who wins in this situation - is that scripting? No. That's how the game works and how the game has to work. Computer games ARE scripts, you have to remember that. The opposite of scripted is random, not dynamic.

Why would you class this as a bug?

Because the collision physics - especially with the goalkeeper - aren't right. You can tell fairly clearly that this game isn't 'scripted' per se - the things which happen with the ball are far too complicated, and random for that to be the case.

The issue there is that the player's animation isn't what it should be. There is no animation to fit that encounter - and thus what happens with the ball doesn't match what happens with the player.

A player doesn't get stopped by an invisible wall because the game is working correctly.

The problem in this situation is that the moment my player jumps it calculates the outcome, but then the keeper gets in the way but the calculated result still goes. If it wasn't "scripted" and more "dynamic" the game would realize that my player couldn't head the ball anymore.

The game would realise? How scripted would that be? It's a bug. The player's animation shouldn't skip like that. It's just a flaw in the collision physics between the goalkeeper and the player - the animations aren't there to match the situation. That's why it looks like a glitch. The player has hardly been stopped by the goalkeeper - nor have they collided. The player is being stopped by an invisible wall.

If you ask me, it's a dispute between the animations and the physics. It happens every so often. If the game was scripting all of this - it would happen far, far more often. The fact is that this is a rarity in the physics where things don't come together quite right - not scripting.

For me, the problem is that the animations are going wrong - not the physics. I don't think that's 'scripted'.. it's just a bug, a flaw, something missing. A rare occurrence leading to a bizarre error.

EA have been adding more and more animations which means that situations like this happen less and less often. Eventually they will be almost totally eradicated.

Last edited:
Which is ridiculous. All games are 'scripted' by definition. They can only present the illusion of not being scripted. The term scripted has been used for every single thing since the year dot. It's a ridiculous statement which can be fitted to mean almost anything because it DOES mean almost anything.

Because the collision physics - especially with the goalkeeper - aren't right. You can tell fairly clearly that this game isn't 'scripted' per se - the things which happen with the ball are far too complicated, and random for that to be the case.

The issue there is that the player's animation isn't what it should be. There is no animation to fit that encounter - and thus what happens with the ball doesn't match what happens with the player.

A player doesn't get stopped by an invisible wall because the game is working correctly.

The game would realise? How scripted would that be? It's a bug. The player's animation shouldn't skip like that. It's just a flaw in the collision physics between the goalkeeper and the player - the animations aren't there to match the situation. That's why it looks like a glitch. The player has hardly been stopped by the goalkeeper - nor have they collided. The player is being stopped by an invisible wall.

If you ask me, it's a dispute between the animations and the physics. It happens every so often. If the game was scripting all of this - it would happen far, far more often. The fact is that this is a rarity in the physics where things don't come together quite right - not scripting.

For me, the problem is that the animations are going wrong - not the physics. I don't think that's 'scripted'.. it's just a bug, a flaw, something missing. A rare occurrence leading to a bizarre error.

You miss the point again about "scripting". It has nothing to do with scripts/code.

FIFA used to be full with this. For example in 09, and earlier versions, the keepers were extremely "scripted" in their saves. As soon as the animation started you would know exactly where the ball would end up, because is was predetermined and it didn't actually check the collision at all (more than when, but not how). This has been changed in FIFA 10 and it is now much more dynamic because it now checks how the ball actually hits the keeper.

I think you've both taken Gab's post out of context and are twisting what he's said, but congratulations on sounding like a smug condecending twat Rodelero.

Don't think he was. He was merely stating that this was indeed another BUG that this game is fast becoming famous for.

Why did i spend my money on this again? I was promised a game that would better 09..........

It's certainly winning hands down on the number of F*** Up's being found to date and the "few" weeks Rutter suggested to release a patch for it is making the game a joke!!

We are this years FIFA10 beta testers. I think the FIFA team have just been sat round playing 2 vs 2 for 3 months and not checking any of the main game modes out and thats why we are finding all these obvious things that have been missed. Maybe they should have delayed it til November

We are certainly the testers. I don't find many bugs myself on the two modes I play (head2head and Clubs), but I still see more than I'd like. The testers should be fired. All of them. They could do a better job with 100 beta testers than no doubt hundreds of paid incompemployees.

Don't think he was. He was merely stating that this was indeed another BUG that this game is fast becoming famous for.

Why did i spend my money on this again? I was promised a game that would better 09..........

It's certainly winning hands down on the number of F*** Up's being found to date and the "few" weeks Rutter suggested to release a patch for it is making the game a joke!!

dude why dont you get three mates, a case of beer, maybe some weed, and play 2 v 2, full manual, till your eyes bleed, and come back and post

is this the same urban who was having a pop at someone who posted negativity in the pes2010 thread

now he's in the fifa10 thread doing exactly the same thing

dear me

is this the same urban who was having a pop at someone who posted negativity in the pes2010 thread

now he's in the fifa10 thread doing exactly the same thing

dear me

Dear me indeed. Imagine spending money on this game and not being able to comment about it, Jesus what a crime. I'm fully intitled to comment on this bobby!

Fact is the "other" game isn't released yet but believe me if it is also flawed, shit laced with bugs i will certainly moan about it as i'm spending my hard earned cash on it.

I'm wondering the same thing as, if I remember correctly, you weren't overly positive about the demo.

It just seems you enjoy seeing every single flaw anyone can bring up about the game so you can bitch about it. You're even more annoying than the people you have a go at for being negative in the PES thread.

Dear me indeed. Imagine spending money on this game and not being able to comment about it, Jesus what a crime. I'm fully intitled to comment on this bobby!

Fact is the "other" game isn't released yet but believe me if it is also flawed, shit laced with bugs i will certainly moan about it as i'm spending my hard earned cash on it.

that's fair enough mate but iv'e played a fair amount of fifa 10 and i haven't really seen any of these bugs that people mention

people are entitled to moan but do it constructively, not just to score points off each other

Last edited:
Here we go......

mate im not having a go at you.. fifa's mm mode sucks, and i have said so for years.. but 2 v 2 it is a great game... pes online sucked, but 2 v 2 was fun as well... I really feel bad for the MM guys because of the following reasons

1) there mode is broken
2) they dont have any mates that can come around(i feel for you guys being married now and all that shit)

so if 2 is not a problem for you, then you should try it, i dont think you will have think you wasted your money

Are accomplishments the only way to increase your virtual pro's stat?
If it is, does anyone know if getting all the accomplishments completely max's out your stats?

I am on PSN. Does anyone else here have disconnections problem. Its a gamebreaker already. I have tried to play 10 matches and i had 10 disconnections. Is it a general problem or mine only?

I finally got my copy this week :) I live in America, but luckily the missus still lives in the UK and bought and shipped it to me, as I definitely didn't have the patience to wait.

I loved the demo and I love the improvements that they made since. I was really surprised how much they slowed 'normal' speed down, I had read on here that they had but I still didn't expect it. Well done to EA on that one, considering the quotes I had read from them about speed before. Seems to me they've also improved the 'I pressed clear but instead the defender took it down and gave up a goal' problem. Mind you I have seen it, but not nearly as often. I was also pleased to see the patch didn't really mess up finesse shots like everyone had been saying.

Shame that I'm seeing all these posts about bugs- luckily I don't play MM but I imagine for those that do it's ruining what is, on the pitch, an amazing game. It was very well said by I think Wildster, it's all the more frustrating because without the bugs there would be almost nothing to complain about. Luckily I live with my bro so I can play multiplayer all day long without venturing to the crazy online world (though of course I will)

My BIGGEST gripe with the game right now is the edit mode. I'm so frustrated because I was looking forward to messing around with the 'Skill Dribbling' stars- there are WAAYYYYY too many 5 star dribblers and I wanted to limit it to the best of the best - Ibra, Ronaldo, Messi etc.... but of course I can't. And along those lines I have to post how INSANE it is that Evra has been given 2 stars for skill dribbling... honestly have they ever watched him play? His skilled dribbling is worse than Lampard's? So it's very upsetting not being able to go in and fix things like this

Are accomplishments the only way to increase your virtual pro's stat?
Yes.

If it is, does anyone know if getting all the accomplishments completely max's out your stats?
I don't thing you can max out stats. I know you can have great stats (90+) but not everywhere because your position and body type generate different type of stats.

If you switch your position from defender to striker you will see your stats change. Even if you have great defense stats as a defender, it will be different as a striker.

So if I was a winger, I can potentially get stats as good as Messi or Ronaldo?
I guess thats good enough.

Playing an exhibition against a friend is good. but the keepers leaving thee line spoils any fun that can be had.

Just finished 4-4 and all 8 goals were lobs.

PES for me this year unless the sort out this broken mess.

You dont have to chip the keeper!? If you're playing with a mate just decide beforehand not to do it unless it would be realistic. There's plenty of other ways to score goals in this game.

You dont have to chip the keeper!? If you're playing with a mate just decide beforehand not to do it unless it would be realistic. There's plenty of other ways to score goals in this game.

I could do that but I could have a better experience on Fifa 09.

Why should we have to agree not to score lob goals. :RANT:

Back
Top Bottom