FIFA 10

I'm playing La Liga and haven't made more than 2 substitutions in 5 games yet all my players are 100% fit. Is this going to change anytime soon?

La LIga is just the league tournament mode, it's not Manager Mode. You won't have to worry about fitness.

If you do want to worry about fitness (and a whole lot more besides), Manager Mode is the mode for you. And then you won't have to be subtle when critiquing the various idiocies of its setup, because everybody else is there ahead of you!

I hesitate to mention the P-word, so I won't, but I'm waiting for three weeks hence with a new interest now. So shocked about Manager Mode. Gutted, in fact.

I doubt it

I don't know about making the keeper stand big, but double tapping the yellow works for me.

Amount of people moaning on here would certainly suggest there could be a decision to make.

Like I said, I love FIFA10 (didnt really care for 09) and I would like all the bugs fixed - but I'm older and wiser and dont really care THAT much. The on the pitch game is very good even with a few flaws.

Amount of people moaning on here would certainly suggest there could be a decision to make.

Like I said, I love FIFA10 (didnt really care for 09) and I would like all the bugs fixed - but I'm older and wiser and dont really care THAT much. The on the pitch game is very good even with a few flaws.

You have a point but the 'moaning' only seems to be net based, the people I know who have the game don't seem to notice any thing at all, its more likely people will divert when the next round of PES/Fifa come out.

Personal opinions I spose. I play on Pro and find it about an enjoyable game of football I've played. No football game is perfect, there are just too many variables - millions. Its impossible for them to cover everything.

I'm saying there are more pressing problems now than on the pitch issues for me.

With all due respect mate, what can be more pressing than the actual gameplay? That is why we buy the game after all. The AI then has to be a close second, followed by the actual content including the modes.

I guess anyone playing on the hardest difficulty will find room to complain, but it must be exceptionally hard to grade difficulty in football games and its always going to appear 'cheaty' at the highest level to give you a challenge.

I'm playing on professional too, as I couldn't handle the constant pressing on World Class with manual controls (or with any controls for that matter). I know what you're saying, of course we should expect it to be difficult on the hardest difficulties but when slide tackles are coming from all directions knocking me over without winning the ball, it's a foul. Similarly, when 3 players sandwich me in a corner nowhere near challenging for the ball, it's a foul. These are blatant cheats. This happens more than once a match and generally when on the break or in front of goal. Even though the AI are less aggressive on lower difficulties I still get the same issues as World Class/Legendary. They need to take it back to drawing board and come up with a more realistic way of defending against you.

If they scrap this engine and start again as you suggest, they may never get here again (which is why I say that fundamentally, PES will never change, Gran Turismo will never change etc - its the games DNA).

I'm not saying scrap the engine, just take the AI part of the game back to the drawing board (in particular the CPU AI), giving you more of a challenge by being more aware of what is going on on the pitch and being more advanced and skilful in the way it defends against your attacks, rather than resorting to cheating more the higher the difficulty level, and having superhuman GKs that save almost every chance you create. Thankfully they've sorted the mentality of your players at the back (which was a huge issue in 09) and at least they are somewhat aware of the danger of the CPU opposition, but there are other aspects that still need reworking such as off the ball runs. These are better than 09 but I've often held the LB button to signal a player to make a run and I've just been stuck there and eventually crowded off the ball as there was no pass available. The gameplay engine is nearly there, but it's let down by the AI on the pitch and the poor defence side to the game.

Tweak it sure, but how much more tweaking can this engine take? The big problem with FIFA is that as a 'whole' its flawed. The front-end engine is creaking. Its hard to navigate, cannot edit much and anything you do edit either gets corrupted or overwritten. Its just not user intuitive any more.

I feel a re-write is needed so that they don't fall back into the mentality of tweaking it slightly and hoping that will be enough to satisfy us. It needs to be done properly, once and for all so they can concentrate on refining other areas.

If THAT was improved, then maybe we could get proper sliders and make the game how WE want. Perhaps share the sliders - i.e. if we played each other, then average out our joint sliders so its a fair game.

Now this would be great, but again the AI would need to be rewritten to take account of this.

I dunno... still... 2 weeks till PES :) Despite the rush of sales of FIFA10, if any of this bug stuff gets wide spread (and it SHOULD), then PES could be nicely placed to pick up some sales from trade-ins.

At the moment the issues I'm having are really effecting my enjoyment of the game and I am seriously considering trading this in for either Operation Flashpoint 2 or Uncharted 2. The majority of my gaming is done offline, and FIFA offline at the moment feels broken and unfinished. I can't see many changes being done to those aspects I've highlighted above mainly because EA are completely unaware that there is an issue there, or it requires more effort than a quick patch. Take for example the player switching issue, Rutter's inadequate reply was to use the RAS aswell to select the correct player. The RAS is supposed to complement the L1 switching (which when defending is the ONLY thing L1 does), but you simply do not have the time to be faffing around with L1 and the RAS just to switch to a player that it SHOULD HAVE SWITCHED TO IN THE FIRST PLACE. L1 player switching is fine on old-gen FIFA, why not next-gen?

All that leaves me with is a laggy online 1v1 experience which consists largely of assisted players, Online Leagues and FIFA Clubs. £35 just for these modes is not what I expected from a game that's had a years work, not to mention the fact that I keep disconnecting from the majority of online sessions I try to create.

Last edited:
At the moment the issues I'm having are really effecting my enjoyment of the game and I am seriously considering trading this in for either Operation Flashpoint 2 or Uncharted 2. The majority of my gaming is done offline, and FIFA offline at the moment feels broken and unfinished. I can't see many changes being done to those aspects I've highlighted above mainly because EA are completely unaware that there is an issue there, or it requires more effort than a quick patch. Take for example the player switching issue, Rutter's inadequate reply was to use the RAS aswell to select the correct player. The RAS is supposed to complement the L1 switching (which when defending is the ONLY thing L1 does), but you simply do not have the time to be faffing around with L1 and the RAS just to switch to a player that it SHOULD HAVE SWITCHED TO IN THE FIRST PLACE. L1 player switching is fine on old-gen FIFA, why not next-gen?

All that leaves me with is a laggy online 1v1 experience which consists largely of assisted players, Online Leagues and FIFA Clubs. £35 just for these modes is not what I expected from a game that's had a years work, not to mention the fact that I keep disconnecting from the majority of online sessions I try to create.

I'm actually enjoying it but it seems FIFA has once again sucked everyone in and then a fair few see the same old flaws and sell it on.

It's pretty awful the number of bugs in this and its reflective of an unfinished game. I'm sure EA are using us as some sort of beta test so they can release a patch or not even bother and call it "an improvement" for FIFA 11.

they do not vigorously test it.......they get us to:CONFUSE:

Fair points one and all - and i pretty much agree. For a full priced (RRP of £50) product, it is disgraceful really and as my original post, harkens back to the real dark days of EA.

With Rutter coming out and shouting his mouth off, it gets everybody hopeful. Honestly, half these bugs are so small, that its got to 'nit-picking' now, BUT the big ones are show stoppers and I can totally agree that it puts you off the game somewhat.

I play 99.9% offline too (though I do want to get back to online!) and yea, I feel very detatched from the experience. Only on the pitch do I feel happy and involved.

I've not really had the things you pointed out though. For me the RB run (changed my controls) works well. It does say in the tutorial that it affects the player you are facing - not sure if that is ONLY or makes the most difference to that player, but as I say, it works for me most of the time.

Never had my keeper rush out unless I instructed him to. I dont get pressed THAT much - once you get used to the skill dribble and little skill moves, you can buy a fair amount of time.

Not noticed the keepers being particularly super-human either, but then my manual shooting isnt great yet, so they dont dive for my corner flag efforts.

Can see how these things piss people off though and they definitely do need addressing.

Going back to PES, the front end may be ugly, but the whole experience makes you feel involved. Players are different, you can scout for a certain type (i.e I can search for a 6ft+ striker with a good touch if I feel my squad needs it - with FIFA its a lot of fucking around).

The league (though not 'real') feels more realistic in a way as its consistent. With FIFA, in MM i rarely check the league table as its either wrong or just not something that grabs me. In the ML, I am always checking before games ("If I win this, I can get up into 7th" etc) - dont get that feeling in MM.

Really, EA need to sit down, play PES and take the best bits of ML, combine it with the licenses they have and fucking play test to death. I'd pay £50 for it.

What a joke EA are!

We've waited years for a decent Manager Mode - they talked it up like it was some revelation, and now they've cocked it right up.

I don't play online because it's full of cheating pricks, so now what the hell am I going to do? play friendly's all the time?

I bloody hope they release a patch soon to sort out these bugs.

Are we just BETA testers for FIFA 11? Then when that comes out we're BETA testers for FIFA 12?

With everything they've got wrong, that's how it seems. I'm bored of doing exhibition matches now. :(

EA FUCKING SPORTS WORLD!! thats what it should be called!

They make you download your goals to them and they can't even make it reliable. Usually as slow as hell for me and 50% of the time It just won't load up any of my videos. This happens on numerous computers!

Really if they make you put your replays on their website, they should really give you a better service!

Are we just BETA testers for FIFA 11? Then when that comes out we're BETA testers for FIFA 12?

With everything they've got wrong, that's how it seems. I'm bored of doing exhibition matches now. :(

Same here really. While the gameplay itself is great, I want to start my MM career off but I'm holding out in the hope that they patch the game up somehow and fix the horrible mess that MM has become.

I am waiting for the MM to sort itself to.

But now you can find lots of people online that play manual, I know I can play Fifa for a long long time and enjoy it.

I am also having great fun just using all the different teams in exhibition mode.

I might jsut start a normal league with Arsenal aswell (Not MM) and play through that to keep me occupied.

Pro difficuly would be great if the CPU shot on goal more. It the one thing letting pro difficulty down.

I only played 4 games and Ben Arfa was only half fit when it comes to stamina.

This may be a pain mate but setting up sets of custom tactics and adjusting the shooting slider up and passing down and it starts to play like you suspect. Lot of work though :)

* Ability to edit kit numbers
Which is needed because every new signing gets the 2 shirt no matter if it's already assigned.

* New board difficulty level setting
So you now get fired when in 3rd place and told that you definitely should have won that cup match away to ManUtd despite the fact you're Scunthorpe.

* New level of authenticity and realism with regard to signing players
Now nobody will sign for you, it's like Chelsea after the embargo.

* The Assistant Manager will also assess the importance of upcoming matches and rotate your line-up for you. This is especially visible in early cup games, where you can see that your star players often get a rest in these games. He can also be turned off so you can take care of all the team management without him interfering.
Yes he'll now place your slow CB's at LB, your forwards at CM and your goalkeeper up front. And he'll not stop tinkering despite being turned off.

* Ability to renogotiate with players immediately and not through negotiation history
So you can keep bidding for players you can never sign and are never told why they won't sign......

* CPU squad rotation
Giggs at LB, Vidic/Ferdinand at fullback and Brown/Evra at CB

* Fix to the long-term injury bug i.e. there will be long term injuries
Now there are no injuries, or if you're very, very lucky you might see 3 one week injuries in a season.

* Manager mode will not end if you get sacked, your reputation will take a hit and you will get offers from other clubs.
Now you get sacked even if 3rd in the league and still in both cups.....

* Able to assign generic stadiums to clubs and rename them, and set weather conditions for that stadium.
Now you get to play in night matches and rain 12 months of the year, or if you're really lucky play on a white pitch with a white ball.

* Ability to view opponents starting 11 pre-match
So you can see how the form system has removed the legs of a number of players and how out of position everyone is being played.

* Ability to shortlist up to 20 players
Actually it seems to be a max of 9 for me?

* Additional in-game commentary inc "Transfer speech, Player Form Speech, Board Confidence comments and much more to come"
Now you get to hear about losing 1-0 when it's actually 1-1 and how your striker is on a terrible run despite scoring in the first half.....

* English play-off finals will be played at Wembley
And at night probably, like the FA Cup final......

* New stats screen which tracks goal assists
So you can see that your goalkeeper has been given all the assists.......

* No limit on how much you can offer for a player, if you have the funds you can make the offer
But then the transfer will fail and you won't be told why, no matter how much you bid......

* Player form, based on the last 5 matches [especially the last 2-3], will affect a players attributes and market value
Score 10 goals in a match and see his form DROP.
Fixed for you ;)

:WORSHIP:

This may be a pain mate but setting up sets of custom tactics and adjusting the shooting slider up and passing down and it starts to play like you suspect. Lot of work though :)

think I will do it mate just to see how it works out.

Anyone know why they removed the "custom tactics" screen from online games?!??

yeah I noticed that straight away. Very strange that EA removed this.

i dont know why but i just dont feel like im enjoying this as much as i should be/expected...it just feels like being a pinball ball trying to bustle through the defence trying to get to the goal, opposition dont shoot enough, even on world class, and the only goals i (or me plus one) score is break away through the middle and finesse shot into the corner or go down one wing and pull back. cant score on crosses on this one and dont seem to create space for interesting shots.. would put it down to pro but dont want the boredom of not facing any shots all game.

i want to love it but im struggling, im not finding it satisfying and cant entirely put my finger on it :'( !

I think I read you can still put custom tactics on the quick tactics online. Don't know anything about it though, never play online.

I'm getting a bit fed up with games played at 90MPH even though the speed setting is on slow, and even on Pro level it feels like playing in high-school where you can't have a second to lift your head before two players are hounding you for the ball.

It's starting to feel more arcadey each game I play now, as if EA wanted as many turnovers (for want of a better word) as possible to make it exciting when really I (and tons more I imagine) would like to play a slow game and have some realistic time on the ball.

Also there needs to be more gaps in the middle of the field, every team is setup to play narrow so working a goal through the middle requires ping-ponging it around in the middle as you can't hold the ball for one second before a tackle comes in, or passing it out wide (which is 90% sure of working as the full backs never seem to mark the wingers properly and you nearly always get a cross in).

Not too much to ask, and EA seem to acknowledge the pressure needs tweaking so until then I might hold out playing as it's a bit frustrating having to play kick-and-run all the time :(

Play as someone like Hull, against Stoke. I found that was an extremely slow game, cos of the quality of both sides. Whereas if you're using top sides, they ping the passes around quicker, and close down quicker and for longer.

My last match was a 2 star Spanish team versus another 2 star team, maybe German. Definately not top teams affecting my judgement as I prefer to play with lower teams.

Is it right for me to be bored of a game I've been waiting months for? MM is a buggy mess and BAP hasn't been touched. Quality gameplay can only take you so far...

I posted this over at FSB so thought id put it here. Just my 2 cents worth on Fifa10.

Nice podcast Chris. Pretty much share you conclusions on the game. Im not sure whats going on with me at present regarding fifa10. All week ive been like a little kid on christmas eve and when i finally got time to have a good session i really enjoyed it. But day 2 i found myself getting a little, cant believe im about to say this, bored with it. Now ive only played 1 player matches Vs the cpu but very quickly ive lost that excitement. Now compare this to when Fifa09 was released last year i couldnt wait to get time on the ps3 and pretty much hammered it for weeks. Now of course im not saying its a worse game than 09 because that would be really stupid as its by far the best footie game i have ever played. But there is something that i cant quite put my finger on that is stopping me have that, just one more game, feeling. Last night for example i had the tv to myself, day off work today so a right good time to have a long session but instead i watched MOTD2 and went to bed. And today ive not touched it either. Mayve i need to get a few mates round and stop playing the AI because i do find it very frustrating at times and not too much of an improvement over 09 in my opinion. Almost always score from crosses, too much cheating on the harder difficulties and wont shoot on the easier ones. Teams like Man Utd and Chelsea easier to beat than Hull etc. The way that the AI decides they cant be tackled no matter what. When 09 came out with these faults it wasnt to bad but playing a second year with the same faults is very poor. It has improved in general from 09 but not enough in my opinion.
As for the gameface feature, i think its superb but i did lose a hell of a lot of detail in my gameface. It took several attempts to even download it. I kept getting a message saying that it did not exist but im guessing this was down to the bad servers. And yes i have been given Asian eyes too. Whats that all about. But overall im happy with how my pro looks in game. And i have enjoyed trying to grow his attributes and already he has improved a lot. And im never gonna use the stat boost as im really against that and wished they never included it.
Manager Mode ive not even touched it as of yet as all the negativity i have already read just puts me off. I know this is a 3 year project but really some of bugs that have been reported are a disgrace. The weather being mostly rainy in England and at night is really a joke. They know how important the weather is to us all in this mode and how much in 09 it was broken and yet they release it like this. I will definately wait for a patch before touching this mode. And i feel sorry for you guys that have edited all the stadia because you will almost certainly lose it. That will be the EA way.
Now my biggest complaint is the fact that they have ruined the shooting with the patch. Yes the finesse shots were broken and it was a tad too easy to score from range but all they have done is make the keepers super human 09 style. I have not scored one long range shot now whereas in the demo i scored a few beaut's. I think it needs re patching in my opinion.. These are mainly negativespoints and i want to state that i really do love this game. The subtile improvements they have made all adds upto a wonderful smooth footie game. The ball physics are immense. I love the commentary. The new crowd is a big improvement. Itts a very very very good game. Its just that EA always seem to take 3 steps forward and then 2 steps back. So many bugs every year. It all leads me to think that they really should think about letting us ordinary folk from respected site, like FSB to give it a good bashing before release. If this was a school report my final comment would be,
Mr Rutter has shown real improvement over the last 12 months and is performing well. I have every confidence in his abilitys and feel that if he carries on in the same manner he will do very well. But at times takes his eye off the ball. Good work but could do better.
Oh and i nearly forgot.....the kits are really terrible. Worse than last year. And still Arsenal have the wrong case lettering on their backs. Whoever is in charge of that side of development needs a kick up the arse.

Oh and also, the Emirates pitch still looks like Hackney Marshes. Maybe the next time they hold an event there they should look out the bloody window and look at the turf. Shocking is an under statement.

Is it right for me to be bored of a game I've been waiting months for? MM is a buggy mess and BAP hasn't been touched. Quality gameplay can only take you so far...

The thing is, we have all more or less been playing this game for a year so people will get bored of it. It's not a completely different game all of a sudden and I didn't expect it to be TBH.

For me, it's like this. Great gameplay, not very good AI, tons of bugs in the various game modes.

So at the minute I'm stuck playing tournaments with friends - still having fun but hugely frustrated with Manager Mode (I've got a list here that I've cobbled together of 51 bugs/glitches/issues, which makes me laugh considering that they claimed 50 MM improvements).

I don't like the gameplay of PES 2010, that's my personal opinion, but it looks like I might have to learn to like it if I want to play a manager/career mode against some AI. I can't see them fixing 10 issues, let alone 50 issues. I'd love to see it but they'd have to cancel FIFA 11.

Personal opinions I spose. I play on Pro and find it about an enjoyable game of football I've played. No football game is perfect, there are just too many variables - millions. Its impossible for them to cover everything.

I'm saying there are more pressing problems now than on the pitch issues for me.

I guess anyone playing on the hardest difficulty will find room to complain, but it must be exceptionally hard to grade difficulty in football games and its always going to appear 'cheaty' at the highest level to give you a challenge.

If they scrap this engine and start again as you suggest, they may never get here again (which is why I say that fundamentally, PES will never change, Gran Turismo will never change etc - its the games DNA).

Tweak it sure, but how much more tweaking can this engine take? The big problem with FIFA is that as a 'whole' its flawed. The front-end engine is creaking. Its hard to navigate, cannot edit much and anything you do edit either gets corrupted or overwritten. Its just not user intuitive any more.

If THAT was improved, then maybe we could get proper sliders and make the game how WE want. Perhaps share the sliders - i.e. if we played each other, then average out our joint sliders so its a fair game.

I dunno... still... 2 weeks till PES :) Despite the rush of sales of FIFA10, if any of this bug stuff gets wide spread (and it SHOULD), then PES could be nicely placed to pick up some sales from trade-ins.

Sliders would be great especially if they were like the 2k5 NFL games where you could set the AI to be better or worse in certain situations. I'd love to be able to force the AI to be more deadly up front without having to deal with the cheats that come from the higher difficulty settings.

In my ideal world the game wouldn't need a 'difficulty setting', the difficulty of each game would be determined by the player/team stats.

-

Quick question - Does anyone else find their giving away foul after foul with the pass tackle? In my manager mode games I'll be running jostling with an AI player and as soon as I tackle them 90% of the time the ref will blow for a free kick. This keeps happening over and over and the only time I can really tackle them it by running into them face to face and stabbing at the ball.

Back
Top Bottom