FIFA 10

FIFA 10 is the UK's second fastest selling game ever behind Grand Theft Auto IV, smashing FIFA 09's opening weekend by a fearsome 48 per cent.

Xbox 360 and PS3 sales of the football game are nearly neck-and-neck, at 48 per cent and 46 per cent respectively.

Poor old PES.

yesterday when my friend was playing at my house was in exhibition mode vs the CPU with Liverpool against LA Galaxy he had so much space and looked pretty good going forward. He doesn't even play footy games but was able to create chances and Livepool looked miles better like they would do in the real world.

Is this the same in MM when playing 2 star or lower teams or do they become super human.

Bizarrely, I'm yet to play against a mate. All I've been doing thus far is taking on the AI. That'll change later, as one of my friends is popping round for a blast before we go to indoor football.

Should be great, as the things that narked us about Fifa 09 have been sorted this year - the advantage rule for a start.

A few questions...

Whats the store for? i take it they are going to sell content like stadiums, boots and balls because there isnt even a hi vis nike ball in there.

It's clear to me that the most important thing EA can do for next year's installment is to not add any new gameplay modes or unnecessary features. PES's rate of improvement slowed after it went multiplatform, and the game imploded when it got to the point where they then had to develop for the next gen as well. Right now EA are looking like they're spreading themselves far too thinly. Where they would usually be looking to dedicate a small resource to patching while the rest look to the future; now, because their QA testers at clearly not football fanatics and clearly don't know their MM from their M&Ms, that time is being eaten away by stupid little mistakes.

I'm sure EA are pissed off at how much the community are listing and ranting about in various forum threads, and I imagine a fair few holidays have been forcefully cancelled to get these things patched ASAP. It just seems a shame that, for all the obvious gameplay improvements, some appalling QA (and perhaps too much marketing by Rutter who would have spent his time better just playing the game rather than demoing it) has led to a level of bugginess usually reserved for open world games.

It's clear to me that the most important thing EA can do for next year's installment is to not add any new gameplay modes or unnecessary features. PES's rate of improvement slowed after it went multiplatform, and the game imploded when it got to the point where they then had to develop for the next gen as well. Right now EA are looking like they're spreading themselves far too thinly. Where they would usually be looking to dedicate a small resource to patching while the rest look to the future; now, because their QA testers at clearly not football fanatics and clearly don't know their MM from their M&Ms, that time is being eaten away by stupid little mistakes.

I'm sure EA are pissed off at how much the community are listing and ranting about in various forum threads, and I imagine a fair few holidays have been forcefully cancelled to get these things patched ASAP. It just seems a shame that, for all the obvious gameplay improvements, some appalling QA (and perhaps too much marketing by Rutter who would have spent his time better just playing the game rather than demoing it) has led to a level of bugginess usually reserved for open world games.

Will Rutter do the World cup game?

You'd like to think so but the fact EA are staying quiet does not bode well... :CONFUSE:

Manager Mode is really starting to irritate me. All of my bids are being rejected with absolutely no indication as to why. Normally it'll have a little 'Shalke find your offer laughable' or 'he's not guaranteed a starting place', or even 'he wants a more experienced manager', but there's nothing. I've tried offering more money, no dice, increased fee, shorter contracts, longer contracts, and nothing works. It's not even the rejection, I just want an explanation so I'm not left completely in the dark.

Look at it the other way - Rutter's job is to get copies of FIFA off shelves and he has succeeded like never before. It'll be one of the best selling games of the year, and easily outpace FIFA09. Bottom line is only the hardcore players feel slighted, and they're 1% of the income.

Manager Mode is really starting to irritate me. All of my bids are being rejected with absolutely no indication as to why. Normally it'll have a little 'Shalke find your offer laughable' or 'he's not guaranteed a starting place', or even 'he wants a more experienced manager', but there's nothing. I've tried offering more money, no dice, increased fee, shorter contracts, longer contracts, and nothing works. It's not even the rejection, I just want an explanation so I'm not left completely in the dark.

It's cause they're signing for City.

Legendary seems more difficult this year than last. I'm about half a season in to my first MM and struggling more than I did in 09. It's not uncommon to see the CPU teams rack up (e.g.) 92% pass accuracy, which makes them difficult to stop.

Generally I'm loving the gameplay on the pitch, a step up from last year imo.

Off the pitch I'm disappointed by bugs and sloppy standards. The MM weather being a case in point. It's nice that we finally get varied weather but they've approached it in such an embarrassingly half-assed way; literally all they've done is slapped in a randomising algorithm and gone 'job done'.

You can extrapolate that to many other larger and smaller issues. I get that 12 months is not a long time in game dev and I know that the gameplay on the pitch is the priority, but... take some pride in your work.

I'm finding too many goals on professional in mm and too few on any other difficulty above it. I'm getting 4-4, 4-3,5-3 etc all the time. I also hate how some goals are like grouped together ie, 0-0 for 40 minutes and it ends up 2-2 at half time.

Some hugely unrealsitic stuff still in the coding........poor

Have you gone to the (I think it's called) Negotiation History screen? There's a screen where I was told 'XXX doesn't see himself signing for that length of contract' and another said 'you and your negotiator could not convince XXX to come to the club'.

I've not been able to sign anyone yet either, though I am a half-star manager of a 1-star club.

Legendary seems more difficult this year than last. I'm about half a season in to my first MM and struggling more than I did in 09. It's not uncommon to see the CPU teams rack up (e.g.) 92% pass accuracy, which makes them difficult to stop.

Generally I'm loving the gameplay on the pitch, a step up from last year imo.

Off the pitch I'm disappointed by bugs and sloppy standards. The MM weather being a case in point. It's nice that we finally get varied weather but they've approached it in such an embarrassingly half-assed way; literally all they've done is slapped in a randomising algorithm and gone 'job done'.

You can extrapolate that to many other larger and smaller issues. I get that 12 months is not a long time in game dev and I know that the gameplay on the pitch is the priority, but... take some pride in your work.
My entire feeling about the game in one post.

I'm not enjoying MM at all at the minute and I was looking forward to it so much. As Placebo has said on the EA forums, there's 20-30 bugs/glitches in there that just ruin your enjoyment step by step.

I can see them patching some of it - hopefully they have to patch all the teams below the Premier League having all 70s set as their tactics, pretty disgraceful bug - but 20-30 things? No way, no way in hell.

It may be an online-only job for me, which will be the first time I've done that with a football game for Christ knows how long. I hate playing games online.

BTW for those of us unable to get players to extend their contracts, apparently it's still in Fifa10 that when the season ends they auto-accept an offer and you just need to tick a box to say yes you want to re-sign this player (not confirmed myself as I keep having to restart MM but it was like this in Fifa09).

What's the betting that the week before the season ends you offer someone a 5 year contract at 100k a week, they say no and then the next week auto-sign on 12k a week!

Look at it the other way - Rutter's job is to get copies of FIFA off shelves and he has succeeded like never before. It'll be one of the best selling games of the year, and easily outpace FIFA09. Bottom line is only the hardcore players feel slighted, and they're 1% of the income.

Good point. I knew Fifa 10 would be popular but man I didnt think it would outsell on the first weekend by so much. Looks like Fifa 10 will get that 90 rating that Peter Moore's wanted as well. The hope is that they really are taking what the community are saying on board. There is no way Fifa 11 will be released with so many bugs but 1 year is a long time to wait and something has to be done.

i have been playing the game pretty much non stop since Thursday and the gameplay is very good. it is so organic and joyful that it iron the bugs and the other problem.

For the time ever today i stopped playing half way through the match, i was playing in manager mode as Manchester United and i was playing against Stockend a one star team in the league Cup. they were playing like a premier league, passing the ball accurately, dribbling around like Ronaldo and defending like the best defenders in the world. i dont mind the bugs and other niggles but that a big problem that the lower league are playing better the premier league teams

Am i the only one who think that stadium texture and crowd could use a lot of work??? They are kinda crappy.

On the pitch action is really good, i am playing on legendary and i get beaten a lot by bigger teams (well my padova managed to lose 5-0 to inter...). Still think that the action leading to some goals is wonderful, the goal themselves for some reason don't have the same excitement i find in pes.

Ah spanish commentary is very bad, i'll give the italian one a try tonight.

Is it just me or does the CPU get away with a lot more hard tackles than I do? It even managed to take out Henry and Iniesta with one hectic slide tackle. Yet when I run alongside the player and take the ball off I concede a fk. I dont even try to slide as I time it far too late.

You'd like to think so but the fact EA are staying quiet does not bode well... :CONFUSE:

I disagree with that. Updating Twitter feeds or posting online doesn't fix games. It has only been a few days since the last patch and they've instantly been hit with several more bugs across dozens of features/ aspects ofthe game. Right now they'll have a massive spreadsheet of bugs and issues all coloured in according to importance/effort to fix, and they'll be working out which patch to include a fix for each one in (if at all). If EA say they'll fix this one, and this one, and that one, etc etc, as they are reported in the forums, then within a couple of hours they will have committed to fixing hundreds of things with a handful of people, and within a month. Remember they said it takes two weeks to get past Sony/MS, so they need to decide what should be fixed immediately and what could wait to go in with a list of other small fixes.

Of course they could just say 'sod it' and not bother, but it has only been a couple of days since release so it seems a bit rash to assume that they aren't bothering with fixes just because they aren't responding to every post they receive.

Am i the only one who think that stadium texture and crowd could use a lot of work??? They are kinda crappy.

On the pitch action is really good, i am playing on legendary and i get beaten a lot by bigger teams (well my padova managed to lose 5-0 to inter...). Still think that the action leading to some goals is wonderful, the goal themselves for some reason don't have the same excitement i find in pes.

Ah spanish commentary is very bad, i'll give the italian one a try tonight.

The crowds are awful. When you compare them to last year they have gone several steps backwards. I don't get the half empty stadiums!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First home game of a new season Liverpool V Arsenal and we have only half the satdium filled to capacity!!!

you can see so much space between each fan and they all look so dull. Seems they have compromised atmosphere for crowd nimation IMO.

I disagree with that. Updating Twitter feeds or posting online doesn't fix games. It has only been a few days since the last patch and they've instantly been hit with several more bugs across dozens of features/ aspects ofthe game. Right now they'll have a massive spreadsheet of bugs and issues all coloured in according to importance/effort to fix, and they'll be working out which patch to include a fix for each one in (if at all). If EA say they'll fix this one, and this one, and that one, etc etc, as they are reported in the forums, then within a couple of hours they will have committed to fixing hundreds of things with a handful of people, and within a month. Remember they said it takes two weeks to get past Sony/MS, so they need to decide what should be fixed immediately and what could wait to go in with a list of other small fixes.

Of course they could just say 'sod it' and not bother, but it has only been a couple of days since release so it seems a bit rash to assume that they aren't bothering with fixes just because they aren't responding to every post they receive.

Good point.

The crowds are awful. When you compare them to last year they have gone several steps backwards. I don't get the half empty stadiums!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First home game of a new season Liverpool V Arsenal and we have only half the satdium filled to capacity!!!

you can see so much space between each fan and they all look so dull. Seems they have compromised atmosphere for crowd nimation IMO.

I have the feeling they had to sacrifice stuff for the sake of the enhanced on the pitch experience. Surely i don't mind that but the in stadium visual atmosphere is not too good.

Yeah what happened to the graphics?

In 08 and 09 you could see the mesh and stitching in the kits on players, now it wont zoom in and lots of stuff is blurred.

I'd be happy with these graphics for 11, as long as the sound was brought up to Industial Light & Magic standards. Crowd noises should be going up as the star player gets the ball on the halfway line with space to run into. You should hear 'shoot!' as you get the ball on the edge of the box with Lampard. Tame shots by the away team should be mocked. 'you're shit - aah' at goal kicks. 'Aaah' not 'Yeeah' for Spanish/Italian games. While the ball flies at goal you should hear the crowd's anticipation if the shot looks good, not just 'aah'' when the keeper saves. It should be dynamic to the on pitch situation, not a dull 'if ... Then ...' setup.

I think sound is really bloody important to the feel of a match, much more so than bleeding edge graphics, thermal underpants, new tricks or billowing nets.

I'm not enjoying MM at all at the minute and I was looking forward to it so much. As Placebo has said on the EA forums, there's 20-30 bugs/glitches in there that just ruin your enjoyment step by step.

I spent the summer wondering when the various previewers were going to get the in-depth hands-on sessions with Manager Mode that EA's touchy-feely PR would seem to be leading to. The sessions never happened, and we now know why. Things are kept off-stage for a reason. There's been an in-depth 2010 Master League preview on PESfan for a month or two now. Developers who have confidence in their work will always show it off.

You've got to insist on seeing MM next summer, Chris. And if EA's response is the same sort of thing - "Oh, it's not ready yet... gameplay is what we're focused on... oooh look over there, a shiny button..." - then we'll know what the crack is.

Just played someone in HMV and he was Chelsea while I was Marseille, got spanked 4-0. He was on assisted and it was crazy. Couldnt get near the ball!! Game ended and afterwards I told him this is BS and lets have a rematch. I physically changed his controls to semi.

Won 3-1 next game. :)

Now the controls on default are on semi in the shop so hopefully it will stay that way..

All we need is a single post stating they are aware, it's beginning to look like the bug's are excessive and EA need to say something...

I'm not asking for a list of what they intend to fix...

Back
Top Bottom