FIFA 10

it is hard finding games on semi-assist. I try and create games also on slow and normal settings and nobody joins.

Also I was in HMV yesterday playing FIFA 10 against a random person and he had no idea you could change the control settings. I change mine to semi/manual and he was asking what i was doing. Said he had FIFA 08 and 09 and he has never changed the controls.

I tried explaining the differences and he said he would rather keep it on Assisted controls. When we were playing he did comment how my passes and were going wayward etc and I said to him that is good as asisst is too easy.

Do you think there is players like him that dont even know you can take it off assisted controls etc??

I have always know this to be the case, I know lots of people online and offline, who had no idea what semi/manual were before I told them.

The worrying part is that some of them consider themselves to be "hardcore" fifa players.

Well this is what i posted over at EA

First off i just want to say a thanks for the effort of making the game. I know fans moan and whinge, but its not an easy job and at times it can be pretty thankless, so thanks to all involved.

First of all this feedback is to do for us that play offline, and enjoy it for the personal benefits rather than multiplayer.

A.I

Ok firstly - i have already posted about the A.I and more importantly the attacking A.I. I've found that, in most cases the A.I does not like to shoot. And i have been finding the gameplay going stale as a result. So i have spent the last several exhaustive hours playing around with custom tactics on a variety of teams, from lower teams like Brighton, Hull, Everton and Arsenal.

Firstly a big problem as i see it is for some reason lots of teams including Arsenal have very low shooting stats in the chance creation section. Thats a major fault and one reason why the computer tends to pass around the box rather than go for a shot. It is like the cpu is awaiting the absolute PERFECT opportunity to score every time. I have yet to see the computer just have a crack or be greedy, they did this in both 08 and 09, but for some reason is does not happen here. And the main point is with the tackling being quite easy compared to 09 they wont get the perfect opportunity.

So i boosted a few teams stats up to 100 for shooting, lowered the pass rate, lowered the cross rate too and it does play a little better. unfortunately i cant do this for every team, it would be impossible so its something that needs fixing in a patch.

I also found that boosting the shooting stats made the shots wilder. Arsenal blazed over several times and a guy like Arshavin who has such a wonderful shot either just passed it or blazed it over. In Fifa 08 in my opinion the shooting seemed just right. The cpu would indeed have a go at times and wsnt scared to have a pop if the opportunity presented itself.

If teh EA mods could forward this on i'd be greatful because i feel i wont get my years worth at this rate.

Speed

Ok moving on from A.I is another problem, the speed. Now when you play a lower team vs a higher team the speed feels fine. However play a prem match and it becomes a mad ping pong fest of stealing and uber fast passing. I undertand that in the Prem some games are like this, but not all games are like this. Theres definetly no settled pace to the game from the A.I. I can slow the game down, but the A.I cannot. If they arnt over passing, they are being far too direct with passing, there seems to be no middle ground and i can only attribute that to the speed. In 08 and 09 this was not an issue and seemed to be spot on for the most part.

Shooting.

I like the ball physics and the new jostling system but the shots are too rocket like now. the best example of shooting was in 08 where there was a balance of hard strikes, curlers, floaters etc. Every shot is like a rocket, its like the game is speeded up all of a sudden. As ive already pointed out this isnt so much of a problem playing with lower league teams and wasnt a problem so much in the demo which i feel is a far superior version of Fifa that needed little more than an A.I tweak and a speed tweak.

Crossing

Some of the crossing is wild to say the least. Some of the crossing is fizzed in at an unbelievable rate and thats just what it is, unbelievable. Its too fast and too curly. Ive also witnessed a ball curve twice. Again this eases up on lower league teams where the crossing is a lot more realistic as the pace is slowed.

Theres also a serious issue with chesting the ball instead of heading it both in attack and defence which i thought the new patch was to eliminate?

In fact im just wondering what the latest patch fixed? Was it just this finesse shot bug? Also just thought id ask, there sems to be stadiums and balls missing, i take it these will be downloads?

Well thats it for now, i need to look at it more but needless to say im not enjoying the game as much as teh previous incarnations and if a [atch isnt forthcoming i may have to trade up and go back to the previous versions even though this version has a lot of superior features, like the physical side of the game and the animation variety.

Thanks for reading.

A

It's from, er, those glory glory days of Winning Eleven 8.

I was Barca, chested down a long ball in the centre circle, only to see it spin off and go straight to an opposition player. Paused and looked at the replay, to find that he'd managed to push his head through my body and out the other side, in order to steal it off my chest. Good old last-gen collision detection / cheating AI. Those were the days.

They still have that :D

As for your questions;

Haven't noticed any frustrating bugs in MM, but I would expect the main issue to be with transfers and Im not that far yet.

AI is up and down tbh, they are clever enough to punish you for leaving gaps in your defense and things like that but team AI needs to be improved. Admittedly I used different tactics today but the Manu, Chelsea matches were pretty comfortable with me winning 1-0 and 0-3 (leaguecup) with Liverpool. Yet Ive had two frustrating draws (both 2-2) against Sunderland and Stoke which felt a lot harder. I think your mentality has a big effect, bigger then you would expect. If I leave it at balanced they can open me up too easily and counter (which is how I conceded 3 of the goals). If I set it to defensive it's pretty good, defense keeps deep enough to not get caught out easily. It's generally what I play with ultra defensive when winning. However Ive set 3 different formations and that has a bigger effect. Normal Liverpool one, a very defensive one and a very attacking one. Has had a lot of effect so I will be balancing between changing mentality from defensive to ultra and/or swithing formations. This helps "improve" the AI as you determine how they play to an extent by setting yourself up.

So to sum up; AI for individual players and attack/defensive movement is good, however the AI is lacking to create clear styles for teams. So to combat that you can edit your formation to "force" them to play how they should. Otherwise it can get bland. Hope you get what I mean.

Seeing as your oldskool the choice for d-pad control might be important, although you do lose quite a bit of the game going d-pad. I accept it as my / players reaction is far greater with d-pad imo (just can't get used to the analog). Also you have to pay for online with the 360. I personally feel that the 360 version is a bit sterile compared to the ps3, it might be that the graphics are cleaner or something (on the 360), but for me the ps3 version just feels that bit more alive. But it's totally subjective so I wouldn't place much value on that (could also be that the demo's stadiums differ). But with the control issue for me the ps3 is ahead. However 360 menu's are bound to be faster. The menu's on ps3 feel sluggish. Generally though, as mentioned, the games a pretty identical so it's more the exclusives and blu-ray.

You need to save the squad update.. I'm not sure what happens if you have no autosave :/ It should CHECK every-time, but not download.

You may have to put autosave on, I'm not sure. Anyone else not use autosave who's solved this?

I put autosave on, and it no longer downloads the squad update. :)

yesterday playing FIFA 10 against a random person and he had no idea you could change the control settings. I change mine to semi/manual and he was asking what i was doing. Said he had FIFA 08 and 09 and he has never changed the controls.

That is the norm I'm afraid. The figures are something like <1% of players switch their control settings and keep them switched. The % of players who are aware the settings even exist and can be changed can't be that much more.

Playing some more at the moment. As I'm shite, I play on Semi-Pro to get anything like an enjoyable and non-frustrating game - BUT, the AI NEVER shoots. Its terrible.

They have got through on a few 1-on-1s and they just run into the keeper.

I may have to go up to Pro to try, but I find those become a midfield scrap for me...

GameFace seems to be down, or rather the "GF Prerequisites.exe" cannot be found on the EA servers, link is dead.

Anyone happen to have a local copy saved so I can actually use the feature? :)

Cheers Rodelero. That pretty much covers it.

Now it's just a question of how bad the MM bugs are, and if/when EA are going to patch them. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

pere used to edit stadiums for the ps2 version of pes/we.....welcome back mate!

Nobody else noticed this massive bug?

Go and have a look at the tactics for every single Championship/League 1/League 2 team... All of them have all 70s as their tactics despite being set to what they SHOULD be set to in the database. So Tranmere are set to play it around like they're on speed when they play the slowest most methodical most horrible football in the league.

The odd team e.g. Barnsley have speed (or something else) set to 32 but then everything else is set to 70. All teams are set to play exactly the same game, outside of the Premier League (which seems to be fine).

The question is, is it being displayed wrong or is it ACTUALLY wrong? I've noticed a difference between playing e.g. Yeovil (who I mauled) and Millwall (who mauled me, who says this game isn't realistic). But it seems like a really odd bug.

I can take a lot of the errors in the game and a lot of the little bugs, but this takes the biscuit. I've been waiting to start a Manager Mode game for ages, finally we got the squad update and then the patch, and now I have to keep waiting AGAIN in-case it ISN'T just a visual bug and there's yet another squad update to fix this.

Last edited:
it is hard finding games on semi-assist. I try and create games also on slow and normal settings and nobody joins.

Also I was in HMV yesterday playing FIFA 10 against a random person and he had no idea you could change the control settings. I change mine to semi/manual and he was asking what i was doing. Said he had FIFA 08 and 09 and he has never changed the controls.

I tried explaining the differences and he said he would rather keep it on Assisted controls. When we were playing he did comment how my passes and were going wayward etc and I said to him that is good as asisst is too easy.

Do you think there is players like him that dont even know you can take it off assisted controls etc??

I'm certain that at least 97% of all the players buying FIFA has no idea that you can change the control settings, and what it changes. It's too bad, since I'm sure that it could be an even bigger hit if it was promoted as a deeper experience, or as has been suggested before, a level above the assisted. Possibly by having different levels in online gaming (all modes), where it's encouraged to play on harder settings, maybe like: Amateur (Assisted), Pro (Semi) and Experienced (All manual). At least some of the EA guys are saying that they play on manual and liking it a lot now, so lets hope that they'll focus on it even more in the future.

Anyone getting a TELE cam bug in the Estadio Classico(the fiorentina stadium)? When i started the game I noticed the angle wasn't the usual default angle even though I never custom changed it. Went to the options menu - Was still on default but ingame was using a custom angle. Clicked a few times between default and custom to test but once I went back ingame it would push back to a custom angle even when it was on default.

wut.

Nobody else noticed this massive bug?

Go and have a look at the tactics for every single Championship/League 1/League 2 team... All of them have all 70s as their tactics despite being set to what they SHOULD be set to in the database. So Tranmere are set to play it around like they're on speed when they play the slowest most methodical most horrible football in the league.

The odd team e.g. Barnsley have speed (or something else) set to 32 but then everything else is set to 70. All teams are set to play exactly the same game, outside of the Premier League (which seems to be fine).

The question is, is it being displayed wrong or is it ACTUALLY wrong? I've noticed a difference between playing e.g. Yeovil (who I mauled) and Millwall (who mauled me, who says this game isn't realistic). But it seems like a really odd bug.

I can take a lot of the errors in the game and a lot of the little bugs, but this takes the biscuit. I've been waiting to start a Manager Mode game for ages, finally we got the squad update and then the patch, and now I have to keep waiting AGAIN in-case it ISN'T just a visual bug and there's yet another squad update to fix this.

Yup. Theres loads of inconsistencies. Lots of teams have very low shooting stats in their custom tactics and yet have a higher passing and higher buildup/speed play which is probably not helping with them trying to walk the ball in.

I have been quite lucky with my MM with OM. I have played 3 friendlies and 2 league games on World class and the CPU are haven been shooting when the chance has came up. Played Shalke in a friendly and they spanked me 3-0. Could of been more as well.

Man I was so wrong about 09. I thought last year I was playing quite a few random online games against people on semi controls but this couldnt of been the case. In Fifa 10 it is a real struggle finding online games v guys on semi controls. End up waiting around for ages. Sometimes u get a match and then I end up cancelling as they have picked Man Utd, Real Madrid or Barcelona. Havent managed to find any games when I use the filter of 3.5 - 4.0 star teams only.

I have been quite lucky with my MM with OM. I have played 3 friendlies and 2 league games on World class and the CPU are haven been shooting when the chance has came up. Played Shalke in a friendly and they spanked me 3-0. Could of been more as well.

Man I was so wrong about 09. I thought last year I was playing quite a few random online games against people on semi controls but this couldnt of been the case. In Fifa 10 it is a real struggle finding online games v guys on semi controls. End up waiting around for ages. Sometimes u get a match and then I end up cancelling as they have picked Man Utd, Real Madrid or Barcelona. Havent managed to find any games when I use the filter of 3.5 - 4.0 star teams only.

Try manual controllers, I always find a opponent.

Last edited:
HA read this lol

Gather little children for I have a story to tell.

I'm 26 which might seem pretty old to you boys out there but you will be old and grey like me before you know it.

I would like to tell you about football games when I was a lad.

You used to control little heads that ran about a top down pitch with the ball stuck to their feet. Goals were guaranteed by shooting from certain positions. You played with your friends around someones little rear projection tv. There was no online play or commentary, there was no crowd, there was no player likeness, the ball would bounce about the pitch until it ended up in the net. You tackled by running into the player with the ball.

But they were happy times. And now we get to play football online in HD on Plasma televisions. The graphics are outstanding, the commentary is lifelike, the physics are true, the stadiums are authentic and the gameplay is phenomenal. We never even dreamed that football computer games could be as good as this.

But would do I hear from some little teenagers?

- This game is crap, Messi wears Nike JT300's boots not JT200's.

- This game is terrible, you can't change player numbers.

- This game is a joke, Swanseas third kit is orange not amber.

Wise up boys this game is fantastic. You might want to play Sensible Soccer on the Amiga for a wee bit to see how lucky you are.

Round of applause for Mr Rutter and the EA team - you've done it again lads.

Also, any of you lot played this?

YouTube - FIFA International Soccer, FIFA 94

what an amazing game

Last edited:
RE BUGS - Chris and anyone else - is anyone seeing the first few rows of the crowd ON THE NEAR SIDE pop into view in Ivy Lane and El Reducto stadia? I'm playing on Tele cam on a PS3 - very annoying it happens as your player is close to the NEAR touchline. Anyone else get this???

I found 2 bugs on MM today:

- Ibrahimovic received a foul and was injured, and went to the sideline to be "treated" by the physios. But I could pick him to shoot the free kick! He shots the free kick and the moment he shoots, he appears again in the sideline. Odd...

- In my MM, it seems all of the goal assists of my team are being assigned to.... Valdés! He has 15 assists, being the best assister in the league...

The game is very very good but a lot of little errors. No gamebreakers at all, but lots and lots of them, as it seems.

About selecting Night Dry and having it raining, I know why it happens. Once you select DRY, press X to "accept" it and leave the screen or it will revert to rain again.

Anyone getting a TELE cam bug in the Estadio Classico(the fiorentina stadium)? When i started the game I noticed the angle wasn't the usual default angle even though I never custom changed it. Went to the options menu - Was still on default but ingame was using a custom angle. Clicked a few times between default and custom to test but once I went back ingame it would push back to a custom angle even when it was on default.

wut.

RE BUGS - Chris and anyone else - is anyone seeing the first few rows of the crowd ON THE NEAR SIDE pop into view in Ivy Lane and El Reducto stadia? I'm playing on Tele cam on a PS3 - very annoying it happens as your player is close to the NEAR touchline. Anyone else get this???

This is because the cameras are situated in a different place, it's supposed to be an added touch of realism.

What exactly happens to through balls on Semi-Assist setting? They are manual yeah?
Crossing, passing & shooting get set to Semi but with the word assist included in semi-assist it makes you think some setting could still be set to assisted.

Sick to death of the keepers being brick walls on World Class and Legendary. Really ruins the game.

Really? In 1v1 situations they always come out to meet me, the only reason I don't score more chips over them is because I haven't mastered it yet. Also, try a dummy (drop shoulder) or a fake before you shoot, that often usually does the trick for me and aim for the corners :)).

I can't say I'm having that many issues with attacking this game, it's sublime. The close control, the ability to use tricks and the freedom of movement really opens up the play and allows you to be very creative. The only niggle is the constant pressure from the CPU and the fact they get away with murder when fouling you or muscling you off the ball. My major gripes are when you're defending (player switching selects the wrong player, GK rush not quick enough). If they fixed those two issues it would be a superb game based on it's gameplay alone.

What exactly happens to through balls on Semi-Assist setting? They are manual yeah?
Crossing, passing & shooting get set to Semi but with the word assist included in semi-assist it makes you think some setting could still be set to assisted.

Sorry for the disconnect and no-show earlier SJP, I was disconnected from PSN and couldn't get back on. Since then I still haven't been able to complete a full match online :(.

Back
Top Bottom