FIFA 10

Arrgh, why can't pre-ordering this damn game be simple for me?!

Can't order from Shopto, because my home address on my bank account isn't my address anymore (Went into the bank to change it this week, but clearly it hasn't gone through yet). Tried to order with Gameplay, but I can't use my Solo card (Maestro) to pre-order...

:CRY:

You could transfer someone the money via paypal and have them order it for you?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fifa-team-eyes-playable-tv-replays

EA has outlined its "dream" for FIFA - synching up with a live game to offer playable replays of the action fans have just witnessed. And EA Sports' marketing boss reckons the huge technical challenges involved will be overcome "very soon".

"The dream will be that you can watch that Sky Sports replay, you're watching it through your Xbox 360 and at half time or during the game you press the controller, dive straight into the game and actually then play out what you've just seen," FIFA marketing boss Matt Bilby told Eurogamer TV.

EA already has a deal with ESPN in the US, with the broadcaster using Madden to recreate game highlights. But Bilby explained the relative complexity of football makes it a much tougher nut to crack.

"[There's] 22 players, 22 AI running around on the pitch at the same time," he said. "Madden benefited from the fact that it's very stop-start and the players line up in a formation that you can create straight away and there's only a certain amount of things that could happen.

"With football there's randomness with 22 players, and if you don't replicate every player in the right position at the right time, facing the right way with the right movement of legs it just looks inauthentic. That's the biggest challenge - actually being able to recreate it in a way you as a football fan would believe it, and it is a real analysis tool rather than just something that looks nice."

With FIFA 10 out next week, Bilby revealed that EA is having serious discussions about the long-term direction of the franchise, not just next year's version.

"We have outstanding meetings now where we're not talking about FIFA 12 or FIFA 13, we're talking further out and we're being very thoughtful about what we need to do now so that we continue leading and creating the games we want to play, you want to play," he said.

"There's 300 million people in the world that paid to interact with a football game last year. We don't sell 300 million copies of FIFA, so until we're at that level we haven't got to the biggest potential of this franchise."

You can watch our full feature on the making of FIFA over on Eurogamer TV now. FIFA 10 is out on all major formats on 2nd October.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/the-egtv-show-the-making-of-fifa-10

Last edited:
Eurogamer review

There's more for EA Canada to do, in other words. There can always be a greater variety of outcomes to any given situation, control can always be tighter and more agile, with greater degrees of flexibility, and the holy grail of a believable football season using real clubs and players, with just the right level of unpredictability, is still a ways off. But, having convincingly overtaken its main rival last year, FIFA 10 nevertheless consolidates its lead with great authority. Last year, I said FIFA feels like football, rewards football, and punishes football for football reasons. The difference between FIFA 09 and FIFA 10 is that the latter knows exactly where the former fell short of that, and makes up the distance in almost every case.

On a personal note,

As it stands, the likenesses are generally strong for anybody in the prestige leagues - Spanish, Italian and English - with Rooney particularly convincing, and weaker the further afield you go, albeit with some impressive howlers in the icing (Luka Modric, for example, looks like a Scream mask).

:((

Might as well keep the pre-order and if it doesn't turn up by Friday, then send it back when it does arrive.

Can't see it being more than £39.99 in the high street shops.

Eurogamer review

On a personal note,

:((

On the second point, I'll be happy if they just get the skin colour right this year. Last year there were a couple of howlers for Forest, including Wes Morgan, who was white with blonde hair. I mean, bloody hell, they could have at least got the hair colour right :TTTH:.

Here's a pic of Wes btw
0,,10308~3847054,00.jpg

"With football there's randomness with 22 players, and if you don't replicate every player in the right position at the right time, facing the right way with the right movement of legs it just looks inauthentic. That's the biggest challenge - actually being able to recreate it in a way you as a football fan would believe it, and it is a real analysis tool rather than just something that looks nice."

Shouldn't Fifa already be able to do all of that?

He means taking that data from the real matches and importing it into the game, taking the exact same positioning and moving in the exact same directions. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Wouldn't be interested in the mode they're talking about to be honest, playing the game I've just seen at half time? I can do that now albeit without them moving around in the exact same pattern but why does that matter? I'd rather they worked on the AI frankly...

He means taking that data from the real matches and importing it into the game, taking the exact same positioning and moving in the exact same directions. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Wouldn't be interested in the mode they're talking about to be honest, playing the game I've just seen at half time? I can do that now albeit without them moving around in the exact same pattern but why does that matter? I'd rather they worked on the AI frankly...

But they should be able to do all of that if their game is as good as they claim. I mean if they take real world data and put it into their game and find that it doesn't match up at all then why the hell have they made a game that doesn't and can't replicate real football?

No I think he's talking about the technology that can take the positioning and running directions of 22 players and import it into the game, not the actual game of FIFA itself. Obviously you can do all that in FIFA or otherwise the players would all stand still. ;)

In American football they have constant breaks so it's easier to import it into the game, as he explains in the article. To get all of the on-the-ball movement and off-the-ball movement etc. from a football game and import it would be a technical nightmare. It's the importing process he's talking about, not FIFA making them move.

On the second point, I'll be happy if they just get the skin colour right this year. Last year there were a couple of howlers for Forest, including Wes Morgan, who was white with blonde hair. I mean, bloody hell, they could have at least got the hair colour right :TTTH:.

Here's a pic of Wes btw
0,,10308~3847054,00.jpg

Just checked him, he looks so spot on you'd swear he's a "star head", whoever did him did a right good job :)

The third pillar of FIFA, if you like, behind Exhibition and online ranked matches, is Manager Mode, and FIFA 10 had promised to finally show it some love, although EA's ambition to achieve a base level of authenticity will have to wait at least another year. With my first 2009/10 season as Liverpool barely six games old, Manchester United were rooted to the bottom of the Premiership and I'd re-signed Xabi Alonso from Real Madrid in the same window Rafa Benitez sold him (I was perfectly happy with both scenarios, naturally, but it's not very realistic). Exotic, completely ridiculous signings (Fabregas to Fulham!) are less prevalent, and there's better menuing, but there's still a long road ahead for EA's designers.

I thought they said MM was going to be more life like and realistic.. Man u sitting at the bottom of the table? Now come on!! :TTTH:

wtf? i've been begging for a good luka modric face all year. fuckin EA. wtf? best croatian player. :( this sucks. when he scores it'll be like some stranger scoring.

To be honest, United have been low down over the first 5 games in the last few seasons. Not defending it that much - but it's not THAT ridiculous.

I find the 9 from Eurogamer absolutely gobsmacking. Currently this game is the second best rated game of the year on the PS3/360!

It won't last. I'm sure it won't... but still. Huge. This would put it top 10 games of this generation on the 360/PS3! Absolutely crazzzy. Peter Moore's 90 metacritic is looking actually possible :D

So what changes have they actually made to manager mode then? Just that AI team get fatigued and injured and will use squad rotation?

So what changes have they actually made to manager mode then? Just that AI team get fatigued and injured and will use squad rotation?

Yeah there wasn't any mention of any serious changes but fixes in terms of making the mode more realistic so they fixed the weather bug and no superstars joining small teams and other nuances, which is a good thing as it kills the realism.

Yeah there wasn't any mention of any serious changes but fixes in terms of making the mode more realistic so they fixed the weather bug and no superstars joining small teams and other nuances, which is a good thing as it kills the realism.

I don't recall ever seeing any huge names join small teams in my manager mode games in 08. I hardly touched 09's MM as it was identical to 08 so I don't know about that one By the sound of things, this years MM, despite EA's claims is going to be identical yet again.

I'm hoping that it's just that Eurogamer aren't big MM fans and so they spent most of their time in exhibition so they've not seen the new MM things. Otherwise this years MM will be another gigantic let down for me.

It's odd that IGN had that league table after Marcel (EA) said they did loads of testing to make sure the league tables were realistic.

Reading the Eurogamer review it seems they hardly play managermode anyway, although it is worrying that one of the big "fixes" isn't present in a review. @ Rodelero, they scored 09 with a 9/10 aswell. PES was 7/10 and will probably be a 8/10 this year.

Back
Top Bottom