FIFA 10

To není realistické...!

I want a football Sim on and off, so why have scouts who can see into the future? All you needed was a little report from the guy on the player as you would get in real life...

To change the topic a bit, we all know they've improved the goalkeeper behaviors and such. But am I the only person that really hopes that they've done something about the FIFA09 goalkeepers and their constant ability to save balls that are 30-40 cm from their hands?

I'd noticed this in the past but it had never bothered me as it always seemed to go in my favour, a shot going wide that got a magical glove to give me a corner, yesterday it went against me for the first time and I was not happy!

Playing against Nottingham Forest in the cup, they have a breakaway and one of their players shoots from the right hand corner of the box diagonally to the far post, the shot is clearly going about 2 foot wide, keeper dives, the ball's an easy 6 inches from his hand but it magically saves it, pushes it right in front of their forward who tapped it in to equalise (and of course they then went on to get the winner).

To není realistické...!

I want a football Sim on and off, so why have scouts who can see into the future? All you needed was a little report from the guy on the player as you would get in real life...

Well we realism freaks could just keep the scout at a very low level and then he can't predict very accurately? Or we can just pretend we fired him and not go ask him ;)

The Q&A sounds pretty good, very glad they removed manual XP assignments, no more making Steve Watson faster than Cronaldo but I can live with that ;)

Just a shame the transfer system update gives nothing about loans, they're an absolutely crucial part of modern squad/budget management these days. Loans out to free up some wages, loans in to get some extra talent you couldn't otherwise afford due to no money for transfer fees.

I agree. But it seems like, from what I've read and heard from the developers in regards to what they're working on in the next iteration of the game, and it sounds like they're actually PLEASED with alot of FIFA 09's arcadey play.

Meanwhile they're, once again, throwing out the buzzwords like 360 degree dribbling and now practice mode, and the practice mode isn't even fully featured. Not to mention this new amazing "online mode" that they're working on that they can't talk about yet.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see gameplay footage but from everything that I've heard from the developers themselves they REALLY think they're headed in the right direction with 09. When, in my opinion, 08 was far more tactical.

Where have you read about the new online mode? That is new to me if it's true.

Sounds weird because in a video the guy says that he has been working on the new mode and a sentence later he says FIFA 09 had enough online modes so that they didn't feel they needed to add another one. So the only new big mode I was expecting is this offline mode, which to me is awesome because I don't really like to play online. And a big offline mode has to do with BAP because there is already MM for people who wants to control every player... :PRAY:

Well we realism freaks could just keep the scout at a very low level and then he can't predict very accurately? Or we can just pretend we fired him and not go ask him ;)

Just a shame the transfer system update gives nothing about loans, they're an absolutely crucial part of modern squad/budget management these days. Loans out to free up some wages, loans in to get some extra talent you couldn't otherwise afford due to no money for transfer fees.

I guess it will be another "don't touch the stats" year for us 2010... :D

I'm honestly concerned that the MM is not going to impress me too much this season... :BLINK:

I'm honestly concerned that the MM is not going to impress me too much this season... :BLINK:

Ditto. As I said to Chris yesterday, as soon as I read their "it's the first year of a 3 year plan" I knew we wouldn't get anywhere near the amount of improvements/fixes for Fifa10's MM that we deserve.

Loans need to have been improved, period. Some of my loaned never even come back to the club, much less improve! What's it for, then?

Oh dear, that has not given me any hope what so ever for MM, what we have heard is what we will get... And if that's the case all I can say is WTF have they been doing then...
Nick I don't understand your negativity, I was delighted with the financial questions etc... I think you're expecting too much, admittedly I was disappointed with the loans/scouting being the same at the minute but A) he did say he'll have a look at the loans and B) I'm not too upset about international management and half-time scores being missing (the former would get boring when you're only playing one game a month or whatever, and the latter is just a bit of fluff that would have added to final-day tension).

The fundamentals (such as the financial system) have had a total overhaul, buying players etc. will be much more of a rarity now in the lower leagues and so it'll be much more of a challenge. I'm really looking forward to it! Even Placebo said he was pleased with Wepeeler's Q&A and us two are the hardest people in the world to please, outside of Ahmajenidad and Kim Jong-Il...

The work on the financial system and the XP system (which ties in with the Adidas Live Season style form system you have now in Manager Mode) is what has taken up most of the development time, they're not just tweaks - they're overhauled. What is it you're disappointed about specifically (so I can ask about it in the future)?

Last edited:
Oh dear, that has not given me any hope what so ever for MM, what we have heard is what we will get... And if that's the case all I can say is WTF have they been doing then...

Same here, I'm not that impressed with what I've heard so far about MM. It doesn't really sound like they've done much at all. All this 'we didn't get time' I keep hearing; they sound like Konami. I thought this year was about EA focusing on tying-up the loose ends after getting the core game in place for the past couple of years. What have they been doing?:CONFUSE:

Some of the feedback is very good, some not too bad (such as international management being on the agenda at some point), but some stuff like loans is farcical, how can he not know loans is only 2 @12 months?

Overall, yeah, I'm pretty disappointed. The only they changed was realistic results and some tweaks to finance (which I think are for the worse), and I was definitely expecting much more. Oh well. Guess another life playing online matches is coming up.

I don't understand the negativity, I was delighted with the financial questions etc... I think you're expecting too much, admittedly I was disappointed with the loans/scouting being the same at the minute but A) he did say he'll have a look at the loans and B) I'm not too upset about international management and half-time scores being missing (the former would get boring when you're only playing one game a month or whatever, and the latter is just a bit of fluff that would have added to final-day tension).

The fundamentals (such as the financial system) have had a total overhaul, buying players etc. will be much more of a rarity now in the lower leagues and so it'll be much more of a challenge. I'm really looking forward to it!

TBH Chris all they have done is correct what they had, saying "we will look at it", at this stage means it may be in next year.
I was hoping for a move towards an FM experience off field, when all we are getting is a corrected and slightly improved 09 experience...

Concentrating on MM this year my arse...

And now that we know that that "new mode" is only Practice Mode, I'm even more disappointed. Guess I'm going to have to start my own footie game.

And now that we know that that "new mode" is only Practice Mode, I'm even more disappointed. Guess I'm going to have to start my own footie game.
I don't think that's the only announcement they've got up their sleeve MokBull - well it definitely isn't, that was only a little exclusive for their EA SPORTS Football World blog.

I really don't understand the MM disappointment at all, and that's not like me because I'm uber-critical. They've overhauled the financial system (not just applied a fix), same with the XP system (not just applied a fix), it's a lot harder to survive as a lower-league manager, your players have form now... Combine that with a few more injuries and that's a hell of a lot of work they've put in. I don't see what else you want them to do.

(Bar adding press interaction etc. which I'm not bothered about at all, it's a football game so I don't think it needs every single thing you'd get in FIFA Manager - just a lot of them)

Even Placebo said he was pleased with Wepeeler's Q&A and us two are the hardest people in the world to please, outside of Ahmajenidad and Kim Jong-Il...

I said it was "pretty good" ;)

I'm mostly with Nick TBH, it's all well and good saying oh they fixed finances and XP, but the thing you, the "Manager Mode’s #1 fan" (apparently) seem to be ignoring, is that we MM fans have been playing the same MM in Fifa 06 PS2, Fifa07 PS2, Fifa 08 360/PS3, Fifa 09 360/PS3, and now, finally we're promised that we're the main focus of this year's development cycle, and the result is finance and XP improvements.......

Even the current gen versions of Fifa 08/09 had improvements to MM that we on 360/PS3 never saw, such as pre-season friendlies, GK red cards etc. etc.

Also not too impressed that your assistant manager arranges the friendlies, so much for "the true realism of football", "right then Sir Alex I've decided we will play WBA, Grimsby, Real Madrid and Kaiserslautern in our friendlies, want me to tell you who you should pick for the starting 16 as well?", just not realistic and it stops us from using friendlies for the purposes of checking out players we're interested in, keeping up friendships/rivalries (in real life Brian Laws and Steve Bruce are good friends so we usually have a pre-season friendly against his team, Birmingham a couple of seasona ago, Wigan last season), it also gives us the chance to destroy a team we hate (as a Sheffield Wednesday fan I despise Kaiserslautern so like to play a "friendly" against them every year to get revenge).

Scouting and loans has been left almost completely untouched, two massive parts of football management. There's 1000's of real players in this game and I can't scout them, only randomly generated players? Come on, really?

Ahmajenidad, CD? Is he like the long lost cousin of Ahmadinejad?

Loans! C'mon! What's stopping them?

Last edited:
They've overhauled the financial system (not just applied a fix), same with the XP system (not just applied a fix), it's a lot harder to survive as a lower-league manager, your players have form now...

But they are only two aspects of a manager's job, they're behind the scenes, under the table aspects, the nitty gritty are dealing with medium/long term injuries and negotiating in the loan market.

They still haven't confirmed longer and more regular injuries, and even if they do how do we actually manage them? By utilising the 2x 12month loans?

Also not too impressed that your assistant manager arranges the friendlies, so much for "the true realism of football", "right then Sir Alex I've decided we will play WBA, Grimsby, Real Madrid and Kaiserslautern in our friendlies, want me to tell you who you should pick for the starting 16 as well?", just not realistic and it stops us from using friendlies for the purposes of checking out players we're interested in, keeping up friendships/rivalries (in real life Brian Laws and Steve Bruce are good friends so we usually have a pre-season friendly against his team, Birmingham a couple of seasona ago, Wigan last season), it also gives us the chance to destroy a team we hate (as a Sheffield Wednesday fan I despise Kaiserslautern so like to play a "friendly" against them every year to get revenge).
I see your point but at the same time, I'd rather they spent their time on things like revamping the financial system and the XP system than letting you choose who to play in friendlies. :BORED: The other stuff you mention - goalkeeper red cards etc. - are gameplay changes rather than Manager Mode changes, and they're in now anyway.

We always say "they're concentrating on the fluff, they need to concentrate on this part more than anything" etc. - and to me that's what they're doing. Fair enough there's not a lot of brand new never-before-seen features in the MM but I'd rather see them doing what they're doing now (getting the absolutely crucial bits right) and then concentrate on the new stuff later. That's fine by me!

If you guys have anything specific you want to ask then let me know and I'll see if I can get answers for you, I'm lost for words now - my reaction this morning has been the exact opposite to what I'm reading here now...

Scouting and loans has been left almost completely untouched, two massive parts of football management. There's 1000's of real players in this game and I can't scout them, only randomly generated players? Come on, really?
I asked about both of those things so obviously they're important to me, and yeah I'm frustrated with the answers. But I can use the player search system to get players myself so I can live with that, and the loans - well yeah admittedly if they worked properly I would use them, there's no excuse for that I suppose. He did say he'd look at it, which is as good an answer as I could have hoped for seeing as there's still months of development left.

Ahmajenidad, CD? Is he like the long lost cousin of Ahmadinejad?
Yes.

;)

Last edited:
But Chris, how long would it take a programmer to put in the option to manually select a few teams to play friendlies against? It's just an example of how some really basic things are being skimmed over for another year.

Also, I get the impression from that interview that players are still going to be fucked after 3 or 4 games when in real-life many professionals can last a whole season without having to be rested.

I don't know what your problems with the financee system of 09 were at all. I liked it, myself.
Playing as a lower-league team you could afford one new player per week. That's about as far from reality as Tranmere being in the Premier League (ever).

But Chris, how long would it take a programmer to put in the option to manually select a few teams to play friendlies against? It's just an example of how some really basic things are being skimmed over for another year.
I know what you're saying, it's a basic thing fair enough (and I've just remembered that you can actually pick them yourself in the current-gen game so again it's something we can say hasn't been ported over yet) - but it just doesn't bother me too much. If it was something that affected your season I would.

Also, I get the impression from that interview that players are still going to be fucked after 3 or 4 games when in real-life many professionals can last a whole season without having to be rested.
I don't think so, I think he's just worded that slightly poorly. Hopefully they would patch it if that was the case with MM being one of the focuses this year.

(Major post editing going on here, sorry if you've missed any of my replies)

Last edited:
Playing as a lower-league team you could afford one new player per week. That's about as far from reality as Tranmere being in the Premier League (ever).

Oh. I keep forgetting that I used to play on the PC.

Everything was SO different on that outdated platform.

It is the Xbox from now on.

Goodbye, computer :CRY:

Back
Top Bottom