FIFA 10

The faces don't stand up to PES and the player models are a bit off as well, but that doesn't bother me too much. I thought the rain effects were quite good.

If they neglect the gameplay and concentrate on the graphics next year I'll be the first to moan.

Galerie_FIFA_10_Galeria_5_21856_1009_14092009.jpg

Galerie_FIFA_10_Galeria_5_21857_1009_14092009.jpg

Galerie_FIFA_10_Galeria_5_21858_1009_14092009.jpg

Galerie_FIFA_10_Galeria_5_21859_1010_14092009.jpg

They look good i think.... the wet kit is a nice touch... only thing that bugs me is i think they have gone too far with the depth of field blur... It'd be fine if subtle...

VERY nice animations video, Polakis!...been wanting to make something like that, it really does showoff all the nuances in FIFA10's animation engine...

Speaking of which, I'm not sure if this has already been brought up but I love how they've given us full analog controls with regards to speed now since they've added a nice walking animation if u just tilt the stick ever so slightly.

Last edited:
Yeh man i've used the walk animation and then tilted it forward even more and it actually worked to beat a man! I nearly wept with joy.

Ok, I've worked out how to take the different types of corner. Some of you may have known this all along but I've certainly been asking this on various forums for years with no joy, only other people also asking how it's done. I don't know if these controls would have worked on FIFA 09 or 08, in fact.

Basically the instructions are missing an extra press of the lob pass button (I'll say O instead of the lob pass button since I use PES controls on PS3). All of the multi-taps have to be pretty quick as well; luckily they don't have any impact on the final gauge so you can machinegun away without fear of ballsing it up.

To take a driven corner, double tap O and then press and hold O to charge up the gauge. That's three button presses in total.

To take a corner along the ground, triple tap O and then press and hold O to charge up the gauge. That's 4 button presses in total.

Having just switched the PS3 off I've remembered what I was supposed to do - save videos of these corner types! :D Anyway, the driven corner is very low and hard indeed. It never gets above crossbar height. I almost scored when I accidentally discovered it, as the ball flashed across the corridor of uncertainty and Ibra toe-poke volleyed it wide when he should have scored. Having tried it a couple more times, you can get some swerve on these, but obviously not nearly as much as on high corners. I've not had enough goes with it to experiment with holding up or down to change the trajectory as with normal corners.

The one along the ground is, obviously, along the ground. I've had people run in at the near post and try to turn it in but in two attempts I haven't been able to beat the man on the near post or the keeper. I've not really experimented with aiming for other parts of the area yet but it seems perfect for the Sheringham corner. Once we have custom set pieces to play with these should all become quite useful.

I've tried the low ball from a free kick with no luck. It might not be possible, in which case we'd have to just be very clever with the driven shot.

someone needs to sticky this. it's a disgrace that EA don't have a tutorial anywhere telling you all this.

someone needs to sticky this. it's a disgrace that EA don't have a tutorial anywhere telling you all this.

It's in the controls actually :P

Though not in the way he describes (nor in the way I've just done it). It explains it similarly to the normal crossing.

They're so lazy with the font for the names... It's probably because they'd have to make each letter seperately with the outline, with numbers it's simple enough because there's only 9, but people who aren't paid to make textures for games who used to patch PES in the past made all the fonts for every team/league with kitserver, so why can't the professionals at EA do it?... Same goes for the amount of stadiums, balls, 3rd kits etc...

The kits look rubbish from the back with that shitty font.

I agree with that in fairness. What shocked me the most is that the main screen that you see every time you turn the game on, every single time, is the back of Rooney's kit! Complete with the lettering with no outline!

It's like they're saying "look at this, it's perfect"!

I agree with that in fairness. What shocked me the most is that the main screen that you see every time you turn the game on, every single time, is the back of Rooney's kit! Complete with the lettering with no outline!

It's like they're saying "look at this, it's perfect"!

But how ironic is it that PES is the game without the licenses and it's the PES editing community that does better work than the graphic artists at EA?

Totally backwards, you'd think they learned after they completely botched the blue in Inter's kit.

It's probably because people who make patches do it because they want their game to look as real as possible in every possible aspect, whereas EA know names on kits isn't a deal breaker for anyone so pay it no attention as it won't get them any more customers... I doubt they will even fix it for next year.

It's annoying though and really it's not that difficult to sort out. I mean what the fuck did the guy who got the job have on his CV? Or maybe there's one guy overloaded with various graphics stuff and he just doesn't have time to sort little things like this out?

I'm sure there are thousands of people capable of doing things like this to give the game that finished look and who'd do it for EA for free. It's the little things that really can make a difference and this is one of them. I know you can't see it from a distance but you see it on the goal celebrations and when the players are coming out onto the pitch and if EA have forked out for the licenses then they might as well use them to make the game really look great.

Konami have got the offical fonts for all the leagues in FIFA so there's no excuse for EA.

It's like the lack of keeper kits last year, just really poor considering the size of the company and the licenses etc.

I bloody hate that stadium pan scene. atleast make it interesting. Why not show the subs on the bench with the players you chose warming up?

From what i've seen presentation has been sloppy this year. very. I'm sue once i enter the arena and set up a practice match i'll be happy, but for now i'm surprised at how little they've touched of the cut-scenes.

Remember they said they were focussed on getting rid of exploits online this year - keepers always getting beaten by finesse shots would definitely be an exploit so i'm confident they'll sort it out :).

I've just accepted it as a fact now that football games offline against the CPU will probably always be rubbish.

It's probably impossible (at least for now on the current consoles) to program AI which makes realistic human decisions at the right times...
Humans take into account so many factors at a time, some subconciously, as well as working to a gameplan and sometimes being (over)ambitious and making mistakes.
So many different variables would need to affect how the AI acts, and different teams and players would need to react differently to the same circumstances.
All that while it has to react to the inputs of the user and make suitable tactical changes and substitutes.

The only way to make it challenging is to make it cheat and use cheap tactics, and that's not enjoyable, and if they don't cheat and use cheap tactics, it's too easy, and that's also not enjoyable. It's a lose-lose situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
why do they have to load in the first place is the question. pes allways managed without. i could happily live with a little note telling me who got subbed like pes did it all the time. except for when they had cutscenes to show you the actual substitution. :)

Back
Top Bottom