FIFA 10

hmm plz EA dont make the AI cheats in this game like what konami did in PES so the game become sh%ty for me what i mean if your player try to cut the ball from any CPU player you will try for ages and when the CPU only touch your player he will get it even from behaind :) so plz stop that

Anyone heard something about the CPU being able to do tricks this time around? Doesn't it bother you MM players that the CPU can't even do step overs or try to get by you with a trick like in real life? Even lower league teams always have at least some players doing it. There is no level of surprise in the attack of the CPU because of this.

I know one of the guys that played FIFA 10 said he never noticed it but I'm not sure he even played against the CPU. Maybe Chris could ask Suff about it if Suff played against the CPU. If this still not is in it's going to be more disappointing than not being able to save replays, because this is a huge part of realistic gameplay that is missing.

Anyone heard something about the CPU being able to do tricks this time around? Doesn't it bother you MM players that the CPU can't even do step overs or try to get by you with a trick like in real life? Even lower league teams always have at least some players doing it. There is no level of surprise in the attack of the CPU because of this.

I know one of the guys that played FIFA 10 said he never noticed it but I'm not sure he even played against the CPU. Maybe Chris could ask Suff about it if Suff played against the CPU. If this still not is in it's going to be more disappointing than not being able to save replays, because this is a huge part of realistic gameplay that is missing.

But they can do instant turns, read your strikers mind, hack without penalisation, catch your fastest striker with the slowest defender with zero energy from a standing start as well as win a header with the smallest player against three six foot plus defenders who suddenly are playing in the gravity of Jupiter...

But yes I would still like to see the odd trick when Ronaldo and the like are on the attack... :D

All the CPU teams in Fifa09 play exactly the same way. They attack the same, defend the same, and do all of the things nick_cave mentioned above, regardless of team rating. And the lack of CPU tricks just adds to the monotony of the game, for me. Seriously, I think the CPU experience in Fifa09 is more scripted than it ever was in PES, to the point where I've nearly given up on the game.

Doesn't it bother you MM players that the CPU can't even do step overs or try to get by you with a trick like in real life? Even lower league teams always have at least some players doing it. There is no level of surprise in the attack of the CPU because of this.

Yes! It's also annoying that no defender is ever fooled by one of your stepovers, you can do a couple of one way steps and then take the ball the other way, and they still stick to you, never even hesitate.

*Third thing that the PC version has over the new-gen versions -- CPU tricks*

I'm still buying an Xbox nonetheless.

Ive got this months EDGE Magazine, Gary Paterson talks about the Engine in Fifa 10.

"The way we work it is, there's an AI level, an action level and an animation level."

"The CPU AI plays with a virtual joypad. We wanted to make it so the CPU couldn't cheat at all - it could only do what the human could do, press the buttons on the pad. There's logic to determine what buttons the CPU presses - that's one level - and it feeds into the next level [the action level] the same way that a human controlling a pad would feed in".

"The AI system sends this information down to [the action level], and this level tries to make that happen. So, for example if I wanted to shoot the ball i'd have to run to a certain point and play a certain animation to make contact with the ball, so the action level tries to figure all of that out. Then it sends information to play this certain animation to kick the ball."

"The way the ball kick works for us, there's a section of the code that determines the trajectory of the ball based on the animation and the situation around it. It's quite complicated. What we're trying to do is look at all the context that affects kicking the ball."

"If the ball's moving towards me, when I kick it it's going to be moving faster, but it's also more likely to go up in the air. If i'm kicking through 90 degrees, I could maybe hit the far side of the ball and put topspin on it. If the ball's coming up, it's very easy to hit it over the crossbar. With the lateral velocity of the ball, if it's coming across me maybe i shank it. If i'm kicking with the inside of my foot or laces of my foot...
The idea is we're trying to look at the situation we're kicking the ball in and understand how you would then kick the ball in real life."

"We use all these contect factors to decide how you're going to hit the ball - physically how you would hit it - and the affect that would have on the ball trajectory."

Ive got this months EDGE Magazine, Gary Paterson talks about the Engine in Fifa 10.

"The way we work it is, there's an AI level, an action level and an animation level."

"The CPU AI plays with a virtual joypad. We wanted to make it so the CPU couldn't cheat at all - it could only do what the human could do, press the buttons on the pad. There's logic to determine what buttons the CPU presses - that's one level - and it feeds into the next level [the action level] the same way that a human controlling a pad would feed in".

"The AI system sends this information down to [the action level], and this level tries to make that happen. So, for example if I wanted to shoot the ball i'd have to run to a certain point and play a certain animation to make contact with the ball, so the action level tries to figure all of that out. Then it sends information to play this certain animation to kick the ball."

"The way the ball kick works for us, there's a section of the code that determines the trajectory of the ball based on the animation and the situation around it. It's quite complicated. What we're trying to do is look at all the context that affects kicking the ball."

"If the ball's moving towards me, when I kick it it's going to be moving faster, but it's also more likely to go up in the air. If i'm kicking through 90 degrees, I could maybe hit the far side of the ball and put topspin on it. If the ball's coming up, it's very easy to hit it over the crossbar. With the lateral velocity of the ball, if it's coming across me maybe i shank it. If i'm kicking with the inside of my foot or laces of my foot...
The idea is we're trying to look at the situation we're kicking the ball in and understand how you would then kick the ball in real life."

"We use all these contect factors to decide how you're going to hit the ball - physically how you would hit it - and the affect that would have on the ball trajectory."

Oh dear...

"If the ball's moving towards me, when I kick it it's going to be moving faster, but it's also more likely to go up in the air.
If i'm kicking through 90 degrees, I could maybe hit the far side of the ball and put topspin on it. If the ball's coming up, it's very easy to hit it over the crossbar. With the lateral velocity of the ball, if it's coming across me maybe i shank it. If i'm kicking with the inside of my foot or laces of my foot...

"We use all these contect factors to decide how you're going to hit the ball - physically how you would hit it - and the affect that would have on the ball trajectory."[/B]

Oh dear...

It COULD be awesome... we can only hope. Right?

Honestly, anything different than FIFA 09 and 08 would be nice. Those two games play and feel identical... they might as well have just labelled it a roster update with some new teams and been done with it.

Honestly, anything different than FIFA 09 and 08 would be nice. Those two games play and feel identical... they might as well have just labelled it a roster update with some new teams and been done with it.
nah i think your wrong there, the tackling system in 09 is miles different, there were other fixes too

i completely disagree with this, i couldn't stand fifa 08 and played pes 2008 instead, but fifa 09 has the best gameplay i've played in a footie game to date. fair enough it still does have a few issues, but it's the best so far.

i was playing 2 v 2 with some mates yesterday with everybody on fully manual and it was by far the most realistic football i've seen played on a computer game. the manual controls meant goals were being scored from areas and situations you'd never get playing either assisted fifa or any PES!

The way they say that the CPU is also "playing with a joypad" is quite interesting. Hopefully that will stop the instant reactions and cheating, but I think we won't know that until we have all played a few games against the CPU.

Great! At last! It's ages since I wanted the CPU to play as if it was playing with a joypad in its "hands"! And they say they erased the cheats!

That is one hell of a new thing! It'a great step forward! To me that's the most important thing of the article!

I believe it when I see it, but... they're implementing tha things I want in the game. Incredible. Well done EA, really well done. Another nail in the coffin of pes for me if they don't start to counter all these good news.

they are saying all the right things to keep us happy at the moment, especially the removed AI cheating. but the proof is in the pudding, will the AI still have silly quick reaction times i wonder?

"it could only do what the human can do"......but just with alot quicker responses.......we'll soon see if they have improved it.

Last edited:
Yeah exactly, Andy. It's easy talking it up at this stage. Like I said we won't really know until we've played against the AI ourselves.

I don't mean to piss on anybody's chips but they said that last year didn't they? Perhaps I'm going mental but I'm sure they did because every time the CPU players "read the minds" of my players I remember that statement.

I don't mean to piss on anybody's chips but they said that last year didn't they? Perhaps I'm going mental but I'm sure they did because every time the CPU players "read the minds" of my players I remember that statement.
I don't think they said that the CPU would be also like playing with a joypad?

Well previous to today I always thought to myself when they did something miraculous, "how are you using a gamepad 'just like me' if you can read what my players are going to do before they've turned" etc. - so either it was a FIFA 08/FIFA 09 feature (perhaps a PES feature?) or I can see the future. :BORED:

Last edited:
I remember they said the CPU would be allowed to do the same things as you could, but nothing of the sorts of "playing as if pressing the joypad".

Of course, depending on the difficulty settings, some parameters would "cheat" (reaction times, accuracy, aggresiveness, etc...). We're still a long road away from having real AI.

But, for the moment, that "joypad" simulation is a good step formward in my opinion.

What matters is the code that decides WHEN the CPU should press the pressure button! Will it be just after you click a direction? Or when your player actually acts and moves to a direction?

i completely disagree with this, i couldn't stand fifa 08 and played pes 2008 instead, but fifa 09 has the best gameplay i've played in a footie game to date. fair enough it still does have a few issues, but it's the best so far.

i was playing 2 v 2 with some mates yesterday with everybody on fully manual and it was by far the most realistic football i've seen played on a computer game. the manual controls meant goals were being scored from areas and situations you'd never get playing either assisted fifa or any PES!

With all due respect, thats crap. Fifa 08 and Fifa 09 are VERY similar in most all aspects of gameplay (and the ones that matter definitely). You cant love one and hate the other.

All your post illustrates to me is that - if you found fifa 08 crap and pes 2008 good and fifa 09 good - those two 'good' games must have a hell of a lot in common, which coincidentally they do. Fifa 09 is FAR too fast, FAR too easy and FAR too arcade.

My gut says given the success this formula gave them, fifa 10 will be similiar. Iterations will continue becoming more arcade until it reaches the point that PES6 did - where people realise it (too arcade) and turn to the less accomplished but more realistic competitor. Then the cycle begins again.

Saying that you had your most realistic football experience playing manual in 09 just means it was your most enjoyable football experience - fast, goal fest, and excellent animations. It might have seemed realistic because 09 does have excellent animations all around. Go watch youtube highlights if you want a goalfest.

There is no doubting that 08 is far more realistic (the more informed community agrees on this point), while being built on essentially the same gameplay. The key differences are the speed of the game, the ease of tackling (harder in 08) and the smarter defenders in 08.

The reaction times in 08 were wank. And sometimes they still are in 09. As is shooting and ball control (trapping, chesting, etc.).

I've noticed something new about the official countdown on the FIFA 10 site. There's no more mentioning of the Gamescon event being related to that countdown, is that supposed to mean anything new now? Why did they remove it? It also says "FIFA 10 starts in...." instead of "Get a preview at the Gamescon in Cologne." Fishy!

Back
Top Bottom