FIFA 10

They were better definitely but I still didnt like them. I thought that the ball physics on the crosses was brilliant but I couldnt say the same about hte shooting. Maybe it has to do with the animation dont know. Plus in all the videos released there is not one goal scored from outside of the box.

They were better definitely but I still didnt like them. I thought that the ball physics on the crosses was brilliant but I couldnt say the same about hte shooting.
That is really weird because my first complaint was that the crosses were still too floaty (and Wildster said this as well)!

That said, I did see a driven one at some point, so I'm thinking that maybe there's a button combination I wasn't aware of.

Maybe it has to do with the animation dont know. Plus in all the videos released there is not one goal scored from outside of the box.
That's true about the videos but I've always said that that's down to people:

A) playing it like FIFA 09, too scared to shoot from outside the box (because in 09 there is no point), and

B) games journalists who only ever play games like Call of Duty and Halo having to play it to get footage for their website

Throughout the day there were four long-range goals scored within our party that I remember clearly, goals that really stuck out as goals you couldn't score in FIFA 09. There was a Lampard free-kick along the ground from 35 yards out (although that won't count because it's a free-kick), the dipping shot that we all thought was going over until it dipped just under the crossbar from about 35 yards out, a long-range low effort from a Spanish second division player about 30 yards out, and Tim scored an absolute stunner at the end with Robben from miles out (went like an arrow into the top corner).

Last edited:
We scored plenty at the Emirates.

If he'd said "goalkeepers make much more realistic saves" I would have agreed but to say every shot is saved is wrong in my experience - and I say this having gone into the playtest hating FIFA's superhuman goalkeepers. (You only have to look at the Gamescom videos to see goals going in!)

And yes, he's extremely positive to the point of sounding strange, but I don't disagree or see fault in anything that he's saying. So it seems genuine to me.

Lots of people are ignorant enough to spell someone's name wrong and not be arsed to correct it...

thats good to hear m8... ill trust your judgment ;)

thats good to hear m8... ill trust your judgment ;)
The four goals I've just described above should help. ;)

Unfortunately I only scored one of them (the Spanish second division one), the rest were Tim's, Wildster's and mjsmith2k's...

Oh crossing was really nice. I remember one guy I played against asked me how to pull off these driven crosses. I just pushed the crossing bitton plus up on the left stick. But they were great.

And thats true people played it like 09 but also due to the fact that it was possible and succesful to play that way (ping pong into the box - shoot - goal).

Im really curios to play the demo for myself at home against the CPu because after my time at gamescom I wasnt really impresed tbh.

Oh crossing was really nice. I remember one guy I played against asked me how to pull off these driven crosses. I just pushed the crossing bitton plus up on the left stick. But they were great.
I tried a few on semi and manual, just couldn't get a driven cross in there. But I did see one or two through the day, I just couldn't manage it myself.

And thats true people played it like 09 but also due to the fact that it was possible and succesful to play that way (ping pong into the box - shoot - goal).
We watched the fully-assisted guys play it in a tournament at the end and even though, yes, ping-pong play is still there (which I've said myself), I found defenders usually step in the way and intercept the ball a lot of the time. It's harder than it was before but yes the ability to do it is still there.

Im really curios to play the demo for myself at home against the CPu because after my time at gamescom I wasnt really impresed tbh.
Out of 50 people at the Emirates and 100s who've played the game at Gamescom, you're the first person I've heard of so far who hasn't been impressed by it! :CONFUSE:

I've been waiting for someone not to like it actually because it seemed really weird that everyone's been loving it. Fair play to you for giving your opinion.

Just out of interest, do you play FIFA 09 or PES 2009? Or neither?

EDIT: I've just read in your post history that you prefer PES 2009 to FIFA 09. I think that explains it - no offence intended by that but if you prefer the PES style of play then you were never going to prefer FIFA over it! Saying that I know of someone who prefers PES and absolutely loved FIFA at Gamescom, so I don't know. Tricky one.

Last edited:
Driven crosses are a double tap of the cross button on 09, did you try that? They are really good on manual :).

Driven crosses are a double tap of the cross button on 09, did you try that? They are really good on manual :).
It's the same as PES isn't it, triple-tap does a ground cross as well? I did try two-tapping and three-tapping but couldn't find a proper "driven" cross like I would have liked to have seen. But like I say I did see people manage it on the day occasionally so perhaps I wasn't aiming it right.

Just out of interest, do you play FIFA 09 or PES 2009? Or neither?

I actually switched to Fifa @ Fifa 08. But I still play PES 2009 and the old ones now and then.

The fun is definitly there when playing it no doubt about that. I really wanted to play "just one more game" at GC (not the case with PES 2010 btw). But my biggest problems with Fifa 09 was the shooting and the goalkeepers and I didnt see a MAJOR diefference in that build which was disappointing for me. Goalkeepers were better but I dont think that the animations ressemble what you see in real life.

If you played Fifa 09 on PC: Its not a great game but the shooting, deflections and goalkeeper animations on that game are fasntastic. Thats still something Im missing about the Next Gen Fifa.

The four goals I've just described above should help. ;)

Unfortunately I only scored one of them (the Spanish second division one), the rest were Tim's, Wildster's and mjsmith2k's...

Yeah it was me who scored that dipping screamer :SMUG:. I hit it from about 30 yards out and it just flew in dipping at the last moment. I remember getting told off for touching the screen as I tried to point out the dip on the replay. I have tried to replicate this on 09 but it always flies over the bar and has nowhere near the power of that in 10.

I honestly don't know how Dawolf didn't notice the improved shooting. Even simple shots we all scored on the day seemed more powerful.

Weak foot rating does exist, you can improve it in manager mode with XP......

doesnt mean a thing though... doesnt change what happens in a game, was playing fifa 09 2 v 2 last night, im starting to hate fifa 09. If you dont have a the right team mate, or patience, the game on manual is a nightmare hodge podge of shitty running into each other constantly, sprinting, and completley unsmooth gameplay... i was dying to try pes 2009, but no one wanted too(just to see if it gave us more fun, I think it would have), in 4 straight games one team scored ZERO goals.. very frustrating fifa is. I after many months of playing the various fifa modes, I have to say the game is not that great, it's just better then the alternative(for 2 vs 2 Im thinking PES 2009 Patched is actually better). I hope fifa 10 runs alot smoother and has less collisions

Last edited:
It's the same as PES isn't it, triple-tap does a ground cross as well? I did try two-tapping and three-tapping but couldn't find a proper "driven" cross like I would have liked to have seen. But like I say I did see people manage it on the day occasionally so perhaps I wasn't aiming it right.
Yeah that's the one, same as PES.

I can't really think what else would give you a driven cross, i'd love to see crosses that are blasted between the keeper and a crowd of players, with the chance of deflections going goalwards. I've not seen any of those on any PES or FIFA, you see them quite often in real life.

Do you guys do the early crosses? LB/L1? I have found those to have a bit more speed, still too floaty in 09 but using that early means strikers have to run and jump to attack the ball, wereas only using O means that most of the time they are waiting.

Had an idea today, seeing as the demo is about to be released and the game is a month away do you guys fancy recording a whole match and uploading it to youtube? Just checked out the 09 videos thread but the last two pages were short 10sec clips. Think it would be interesting to see how everyone plays across a whole match and its a nice "end" to FIFA09.

Might record one later actually to start it off.

Do you guys do the early crosses? LB/L1? I have found those to have a bit more speed, still too floaty in 09 but using that early means strikers have to run and jump to attack the ball, wereas only using O means that most of the time they are waiting.
Weird you should say that because I've just started doing this and I'm having a lot more success. I didn't try this in FIFA 10 though. :(

Had an idea today, seeing as the demo is about to be released and the game is a month away do you guys fancy recording a whole match and uploading it to youtube? Just checked out the 09 videos thread but the last two pages were short 10sec clips. Think it would be interesting to see how everyone plays across a whole match and its a nice "end" to FIFA09.

Might record one later actually to start it off.
Even weirder - I was thinking the exact same thing earlier on when I was posting videos in the FIFA 09 video thread.

It would be a pain in the arse to set a camera up in here though, I wish they would allow you to upload the full match - or at least a highlights package rather than one highlight at a time... I hear that PES 2010 will allow you to save the match highlights, I hope FIFA follows suit next year...

Great minds eh?! :D

Have no problem here, just place the camera on teh coffeetable (with maybe a book or two for height) and hit record. I've got a semifinal in the ECC against Inter (Im Milan) coming up so I'll record that.

Well guess we know not to use blip.tv.......Will sort the video out later.

Anyone know a decent site that isn't Youtube and does't have a 10min. limit?

Last edited:

When I do these, they go straight to the goalie, 100% of the time.

So when you switch player do they still take a step forward?

All do manual players get an incentive to play that way online?

@ Stuart,

Video is 13min long. Youtube only do 10min, as I found out after uploading the bloody thing and getting an error message. Will use a different site later.

When I do these, they go straight to the goalie, 100% of the time.

You need to aim them aswell, if you don't they do go too close to the goalie. I was thinking about the crossing for manual players, have you guys tried using shoot instead? I use that for freekicks as they have more pace.

You need to aim them aswell, if you don't they do go too close to the goalie. I was thinking about the crossing for manual players, have you guys tried using shoot instead? I use that for freekicks as they have more pace.

Nice idea, but to the other players really lock on to the ball as if it is a cross if you do that? I think you could get some pretty nice hard crosses if you hit a hard finesse shot so you get the curl too.

I love early crossings and crossing in general. If only they were a little faster or you had different buttons for different kinds of crosses... Early crossing you must aim VERY precisely and put the EXACT POWER, or else it will go to the keeper or out. But that's the thing in reality too, I HATE automated things, so the best thing is to practice a lot and of course, don't expect to put perfect crosses everytime, only a small percentage ends up in a chance, but that's great if you ask me.

The other game makes it ridiculously stupid, you never know what to expect and the cpu decides if it puts the ball in the head of the striker or in a complete direction, what a waste of time for me... Just as it is Fifa in auto mode. I hate it, I can't possibly understand how someone who loves football and loves videogames would want to play a button smasher (press circle and it's a clear chance even if your striker is Saviola).

We scored plenty at the Emirates.

If he'd said "goalkeepers make much more realistic saves" I would have agreed but to say every shot is saved is wrong in my experience - and I say this having gone into the playtest hating FIFA's superhuman goalkeepers. (You only have to look at the Gamescom videos to see goals going in!)

this sounds TERRIBLE to me:
"Goalkeeping
This is simply brilliant! Nearly every single one of my shots were saved. The goalkeepers rush is a nice improvement. As it is tougher to chip them now because they have better reaction time and reflexes. There are more save techniques which is also good. The way the keeper was pushing the balls off the line was great. You can also cancel the keeper's charge aswell. I liked that because my keeper didn't let many goals in either."

I hope Chris and Co are right but if it turns out to be the case and we all moan like babies, can this be sorted retrospectively... :CONFUSE:

Last edited:
As for the crossing I'd like to see a different option rather than the double and treble tap system. And I know The Emirate squad said we had harder crosses but I'm still not sure we'll See much difference from 09 on the back of those vid's...

I love early crossings and crossing in general. If only they were a little faster or you had different buttons for different kinds of crosses... Early crossing you must aim VERY precisely and put the EXACT POWER, or else it will go to the keeper or out. But that's the thing in reality too, I HATE automated things, so the best thing is to practice a lot and of course, don't expect to put perfect crosses everytime, only a small percentage ends up in a chance, but that's great if you ask me.

The other game makes it ridiculously stupid, you never know what to expect and the cpu decides if it puts the ball in the head of the striker or in a complete direction, what a waste of time for me... Just as it is Fifa in auto mode. I hate it, I can't possibly understand how someone who loves football and loves videogames would want to play a button smasher (press circle and it's a clear chance even if your striker is Saviola).

Tell me about it. The other day I was playing WE9LE with a friend, and I pulled off a "miraculous" equalizer with a tap on the cross button and Camoranesi pulls off a lobbed cross for del Piero of all people to finish with a looping header, tying the game 1-1.

As for the crossing I'd like to see a different option rather than the double and treble tap system. And I know The Emirate squad said we had harder crosses but I'm still not sure we'll See much difference from 09 on the back of those vid's...

I really like the way FIFA09 does curling crosses; I perform a 90degree "turn" on the analog, and point the stick in the direction of my cross. It gives you some satisfaction if it's done right because you can put some serious curl on those balls.

Personally I'm glad the goalkeepers will be mostly sorted. I'm tired of little kids exploiting the defensive AI and then scoring on me with some cheaply won 1on1 situation.

Last edited:
Personally I'm glad the goalkeepers will be mostly sorted. I'm tired of little kids exploiting the defensive AI and then scoring on me with some cheaply won 1on1 situation.

Precisely. Frankly, if in FIFA 10 I feel that I'm at fault when I let a goal in, I'll be absolutely overjoyed. Majority of the goals scored against me on 09, I have absolutely no way to stop.

Played a quick ranked game today, and both goals he scored were absolutely ridiculous. Headed it into my keeper, keeper saved, went to the ground (unnecessarily), the ball flies into the air (almost straight up), and he goes in for the header.

That was the first goal. The second goal was the same, but, it happened twice. He heads, keeper saves, he heads, keeper saves, goes to ground, he heads, goal. Admittedly, this was a bad game. This of course, in a situation where we've continually seen videos of the keeper now punching the ball, so that fear is allayed a bit.

I'm a lot happier with the way defensive players are moving in FIFA 10. I've been doing a lot of watching the players who aren't in the 5 meters next to teh ball, and they seem to be a lot better. Defenders are now holding onto their man a lot better, and anticipating the TB's a lot better. It will be hard to know whether all this refinement has come together until we play online though, for the first time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom