FIFA 10

How hard is it to make a radar with transparent backgrounds and kept the dot Red and Blue for all matches. jeez EA

You need to aim them aswell, if you don't they do go too close to the goalie. I was thinking about the crossing for manual players, have you guys tried using shoot instead? I use that for freekicks as they have more pace.

The thing is, if I'm totally honest, I don't know how to aim them. I'm using manual, but if I aim at 90º to the way I'm running, they go 90º to the way I'm running, i.e. into the midfield before the 18 yard box. If I aim towards the box, they go to the keeper.

he means he don't need a radar to find his player.. as in real football, there's no radar. but still, i need them on my dynamic camera. the player looks better in that camera, and the broadcast feeling is there. like it much.

Wow, unless i missed it posted, here are the PLAY magazine scans from their PES10/Fifa2010 article:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5144/scan0002oqf.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5967/scan0003ckq.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6996/scan0001uzr.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/158/scan0004twl.jpg

I say "wow" because they are full of praise for Fifa10 and not so much for the other title (in fact they were rather damning)... Considering their history of reviews they seem pretty fair.

It's looking fantastic for fifa10 this year though.

(thanks to mr_man from the PES2010 thread on EVO-WEB)

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with radar. It's there to give you the perception of players around you (inc. those off camera), while still letting you use a TV-esque camera angle. It may not be real, but then, one mind controlling ten players isn't realistic either.

Those Play scans are awesome. It sums up a lot of the flaws of PES against FIFA and covers aspects of where PES is going wrong. I'm tempted to agree that EA's budget combined with their current team seems to leave them well placed to increase the gap rather than lose their current footing over the next few years.

Just like i fucking said,wtf do you think i'm talking about?Do you ever see a damn radar when you watch football?
Without a radar you would have no idea where any players out of view were... How would you play a long ball up the pitch to anyone? How would you position your player in Be a Pro? etc...

In real life when you play football you can just look around and see where people are anywhere on the pitch and when you are watching a game on TV you don't really need to know where any players are that out of view because only watching the game...

The radar is a very important part of a football video game, and it's shite in FIFA 09.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a radar you would have no idea where any players out of view were... How would you play a long ball up the pitch to anyone? How would you position your player in Be a Pro? etc...

In real life when you play football you can just look around and see where people are anywhere on the pitch and when you are watching a game on TV you don't really need to know where any players are that out of view because only watching the game...

The radar is a very important part of a football video game, and it's shite in FIFA 09.
I don't need it to play,so that's my opinion.You like it good for you.Everyone plays it different.

+1

100% agreed. I can't to play without the radar. I am playing on zoom , the closest of camera and rada it's a most important thing during game.:SHOCK:

Dynamic Camera 1 (full zoom nothing of height) RULEZ!

Wow, unless i missed it posted, here are the PLAY magazine scans from their PES10/Fifa2010 article:

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/5144/scan0002oqf.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5967/scan0003ckq.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6996/scan0001uzr.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/158/scan0004twl.jpg

I say "wow" because they are full of praise for Fifa10 and not so much for the other title (in fact they were rather damning)... Considering their history of reviews they seem pretty fair.

It's looking fantastic for fifa10 this year though.

(thanks to mr_man from the PES2010 thread on EVO-WEB)

Seen as everyone is being rude... Thanks for the links :-)

I recently zoomed the tele cam in and adjusted the height. After watching the 10 video's the cam felt so distanced from the action that I edited it. Ive managed a decent medium between seeing the players close enough for dribling and still retaining enough view over the pitch.

I don't need it to play,so that's my opinion.You like it good for you.Everyone plays it different.

I used to play PES6 on PC and everything was off apart from the time and score. I just felt it was better to see most of the pitch.

In FIFA 09 however I do play with the radar on, but tbh Im not sure if I actually use it that much, probably cause I played clubs for 80% of the year.

Riot has made his views known on 'NeoGaf':

I've played this for a while now and I know at least three PES fan journos who think FIFA 10 is pretty much worth 9-10 in terms of score and pretty much every person I've talked who has played the game think it's awesome.

It's got a bit too heavy emphasis on online game modes, and the manager/league modes are quite basic at the end of the day. Considering how popular Master League is in PES, the single player offline "campaign" is important. Consider that about 40% of european PS3 owners are not online.

I'm a longtime PES-fan (i'm on the Winning Eleven Blog's podcast, check it out), and have been pretty disillusioned by PES for a while now.

As good as FIFA 08 and 09 were, they didnt contain that "bit of magic" for lack of a better term. 09 in terms of features and tech had everything, but for me it always felt too difficult to get past players and hold on the ball. The controls weren't as responsive as I wanted, which was more a design decision from the designers than anything else.

This has been noticeably tightened up and with the improved shooting mechanics (ball feels heavier, trajectories more realistic), the gameplay just feels fucking great the moment you start a match. I cannot wait to play this game online.

Another really, really nice thing is that there's a video tutorial for almost everything. So once I had watched the basic dribbling video and learned how to use the L/R triggers for closer ball control, I had no problems.

Another notable thing is the way EA just makes sure we know everything there is to know of the game. The review and preview codes come with a lot of documentation stating every new feature and what parts of the gameplay are not yet final. Konami never ships anything with their codes, so you are left in the dark looking for whats changed and new. Basic PR stuff, but should be done right.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17381317&postcount=705

I can't say I use the radar much tbh. You tend to know where the players are going to be most of the time anyway. I would prefer my screen to be pretty clean apart from the score. I switch off the name plate straight away. I wish there was a way to turn off the names above heads aswell.

The only time I find the radar really useful is when playing Clubs mode.
I can't play with the camera just on my player as I prefer seeing where the ball is and using the radar to position my player.

riot said:
the gameplay just feels fucking great the moment you start a match.
That's all I need to hear at this point, really because with each video I see I keep asking myself shit, it looks so goddamn fluid it feels like it would control really well. Demo cant come soon enough!

I loved playing people in PES that didn't use the radar, instant win. If you don't use the radar you can never time a through ball up the field to someone that takes a run off screen. This is fine if you just play short passing all the time, but like in real life, it is better to mix up with long ball from time to time. Or else it is too easy to defend against you.

Great news that Riot got a good first impression of the game, he seems pretty genuine.

Exactly what I was going to say. It's a computer game at the end of the day, it doesn't have to be 100% reality. Unless you play BAP cam there is no way of seeing players high up the pitch. The radar is very important to how I play.

Maybe its me but Ive found the radar isn't precise enough. The amount of times Ive seen a striker "onside" on the radar only to be offside when passed to is ridiculous. And it's not my timing or anything as Ive always done it with pes and it was fine. The radar seems to be too "fluffy" with the positioning to be able to tell.

Great comment from Riot, have agreed with him for years about PES and FIFA to an extent, so that he thinks PES' magic is in FIFA (although still lacking individuality) is great news.

2 problems I have with FIFA 09 radar.

1. When play is on the bottom of the screen, the radar fades out making it hard to see players to pass to or oncoming defenders.

2. Radar does not accurately depict the distance between the player you are in control with and the oncoming defender. In most cases when you check the radar it would seem as if there's a big enough distance on the pitch to knock a ball on and sprint, but as you push the right analog stick, the defender appears and takes possession of the ball before you can get to it.

2 problems I have with FIFA 09 radar.

1. When play is on the bottom of the screen, the radar fades out making it hard to see players to pass to or oncoming defenders.

2. Radar does not accurately depict the distance between the player you are in control with and the oncoming defender. In most cases when you check the radar it would seem as if there's a big enough distance on the pitch to knock a ball on and sprint, but as you push the right analog stick, the defender appears and takes possession of the ball before you can get to it.

#1's behavior in FIFA makes almost no sense to me at all. Shouldn't the exact opposite happen in this case? In fact, having the radar "light up" when players are making nearby runs should seem like an excellent visual cue for someone to glance down and then make a quick pass.

PES style all the way.

Wow, Riot's comments are very positive. It lends credence to the PLAY magazine comparison. (although i found the write-up very fanboyish for a printed article).

I'm glad EA went for gameplay rather than cosmetic changes this year.

On the radar issue, EA should just highlight player runs and movement. The current system doesn't work.

Placebo: i've not saved the scans unfortunately :(

Wow, Riot's comments are very positive. It lends credence to the PLAY magazine comparison. (although i found the write-up very fanboyish for a printed article).

I'm glad EA went for gameplay rather than cosmetic changes this year.

On the radar issue, EA should just highlight player runs and movement. The current system doesn't work.

Placebo: i've not saved the scans unfortunately :(

il post up scans again when i get home from work:))

Back
Top Bottom