FIFA 10

Why cant EA release a video with 2 Fifa staff playing the game?

Would make sense...then again Tim has a really good HD camera that he could have took to the Emirates Demo and the footage of them playing would've been even better but oh no...Lets ban Tim from taking his cam to the Emirates where the game would be shown in a good light, and instead let loads of morons play it at gamescom to leak out to the web.

Does anyone even play with International teams in FIFA?

I played one the other day for the first time since last October - it never crosses my mind that it's even an option.

But perhaps that simply reflects my overall thirst for Premiership football over International games.

only online and when the other player picks a national side.

@ Gab,

I think you can set that up in "the lounge".

I play World Class and Professional and have had many AI opponents sent off, I'm getting really good at dinking the ball away just as they're about to slide me and they never learn so keep getting two yellows

Yeah I sometimes actually look for the yellow carded player to just get him sent off. A quick change of direction and a tap of sprint works great. Same technique to dribble past players.

Gamescom mpressions from Keio @ GAF:

Had the priviledge to play three matches in the review version of FIFA 10; Barcelona-Real, Newcastle-ManC and Turkey-Spain against a human opponent.

First reaction: this. is. incredible. It felt like PES5, with slightly more dynamic passing (offset by the fact defenders react very well to the ball, cutting through passes very efficiently).

10-man Barcelona beat Real through an Iniesta goal (scored from an angled low drive, about midway inside the penalty area - Iker got a hand to it but couldn't prevent it from going in); Marquez got the red when a Real player (I think it was Ronaldo) was about to go clean through (no hockey-style breakaways here, it was just down to him having more momentum than Marquez who I was foolishly calling to help the player in my control with X).

Even with 10 men Barca was able to hold the ball well, pass it around in a triangle and Valdez made a couple of crucial saves on long-range shots.

Corners definitely felt less random than before, especially in the next match where I was playing as Newcastle (still 3,5 stars). I got scored on with two headers, both times where I mistimed the jump with my defender (S. Taylor!) and Adebayor rose above with a free header.

I managed to pull back to 1-2, but was punished for pushing up too much by a City counterattack. That goal was great, where a strong shot just squeezed under diving Harper and into the net - really showed off the new ball physics.

The Turkey-Spain was ugly stuff. I played with attacking propensity set at 2/5 ("defensive") and turtled, hitting my opponent with fast counters in a 4-3-3 formation. Ended up winning 3-1 - I was especially proud of the second goal where I hit a hard cross along the ground (triple-B) and Hakan Balta (on the wing) sliding it in at the far post.

I was able to use the long, lofted pass to widen play at critical times, catching the Spanish defense out of position. Another new thing that really impressed me.

I have to admit I was lucky at times - although the emphasis is not anymore on individual 1-on-1 challenges, Iniesta did give Gökhan Zan the runaround a couple of times. Impressive dribbling animation, luckily though those came to nothing with the Turkish defense blocking shots and making life very difficult in general for the Spanish forwards by parking the bus.

I really am looking forward to the demo now.

Biggest changes that I noticed:

1) The pacing is wonderful due to passing being swift, whereas individual dribbling counts much less.
2) The players look for empty space a lot more than in older FIFA iterations, especially it seems those with high ratings. Barca players really made good moves f. ex.
3) 360 control is a subtle change, but for me I really felt it when playing on the wings, close to the sidelines - you have a lot more control than just charging in a straight line or risking losing the ball to a throw-in if you look to play even wider.

Control-wise the long, high passes felt great and the through pass seemed less of a "win" button this year. Aerial play was improved and seemed a lot more timing dependent. All important changes, I'd say.

After hundreds of games of FIFA 09 it will take time to get to grips with all the intricacies of FIFA 10, but my friend who's played it more said feints etc. were easier to execute with more skillful players, giving them some individuality that I think has been lacking in FIFA vs. PES of the old days. Luckily the falsely attempted "speeding bullets" individuality has been toned down a lot in FIFA 10, making online seem like a tempting prospect again.

Early days (like Tottenham's Premiership run) but I'm cautiously optimistic (with both FIFA 10 and Spurs).

edit: whoah, this turned out quite long :) Bolded the "three biggest changes" for the impatient people :)

Can't wait to play this for myself. Even the demo won't be enough.

Oh and the new podcast from Riot and Suff on WENB is pretty good. They go into their feelings on PES but there are a few flirtatious glances towards Fifa10's direction. My-My, guys. My-MY. :)

Last edited:
Anyone else think they should ban videos at every press event like they did with the playtest at the Emirates? Guys at EA must see the shit that gets video'd which does the game next to no justice. If you really do need to play the game to get the idea, then why not let us just play it and not have our enthusiasm dampended by poor videos? I'd be quite happy never to see another camera phoned atrocity by 2 people who have no idea what they're doing.

I can't be bothered looking up to see who said it but the best idea is for EA to release gameplay videos themselves.. videos which they themselves can look at before releasing and decide if it shows off what they want to show off.

I can't be bothered looking up to see who said it but the best idea is for EA to release gameplay videos themselves.. videos which they themselves can look at before releasing and decide if it shows off what they want to show off.
That would be me. :SMUG:

People would start complaining that they're not showing "the real game" etc. but the thing is, these gameplay videos are far worse, because they're showing the game in the hands of people who only normally play Call of Duty and Halo. Any game would look shite if you put it in the hands of someone who really doesn't care about it (or in the hands of someone who only knows how to play one way, constantly looking for the exploit they'll be using over the next 12 months).

There's nothing EA can do though, they've attended Gamescom to get people at the event playing it and raving about it (which they are from what I can see), but the videos they're taking are putting the rest of the world off. You can't ban cameras from Gamescom though, that's the main reason that everyone goes - to get something to put on their website.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

As much as we all look forward to some gameplay videos.. I dunno, I'd just rather see none at all than be subjected to these.

If only we were allowed a camera at the Emirates....sigh. I think we pretty much covered every angle of the gameplay and really got the best out of the shooting/360 dribbling not to mention trying different controller configurations.

Hmmm.. maybe next year eh (providing I can win a place in the competition again).

A couple of days ago I asked Romily Broad this on twitter:

Sc0rp1o said:
@EARom Know what would be good PR?A high quality video of a full match on FIFA10 with you playing against Stevie Morgan.Success garanteed :D
Offcourse with you guys talking through the game and using your humour and wit to win the mind battle... Would love that!

He replied:

EARom said:
@Sc0rp1o not a bad idea :)

So maybe we could see some improved vid in the near future.

At least you get an answer Scorpio, I've messaged the guy a few times now about L1/LB switching and haven't heard a dickie bird.

If only we were allowed a camera at the Emirates....sigh. I think we pretty much covered every angle of the gameplay and really got the best out of the shooting/360 dribbling not to mention trying different controller configurations.

Hmmm.. maybe next year eh (providing I can win a place in the competition again).
Yeah, I think it's down to the vid players as we have some trusted reviews on the game play, especially the FIFA stuff. It's sad that Konami and EA don't see that most of these crap vid's hurt the thing more than help build up anticipation...

At least you get an answer Scorpio, I've messaged the guy a few times now about L1/LB switching and haven't heard a dickie bird.

I think it's an answer the easy ones policy, I don't think they know themselves half the time...

Really cant wait for Fifa 10 now. Real props need to go to Rutter and his team. 3 years ago would any of us of really believed Fifa would be where it is right now?

Certainly not to the extent that FIFA has taken over the simulation and PES is looked at as an arcade style game... :BLINK:

Man some of the old FIFA would make you cry...

Let's hope they deliver and leave us just minor things to bemoan...

Really cant wait for Fifa 10 now. Real props need to go to Rutter and his team. 3 years ago would any of us of really believed Fifa would be where it is right now?

Exactly. I know cause 3/4 years ago there wasn't a Fifa subforum here. It was just in "other games". I joined here as a PES6 player playing one of the best football games ever and recording some great vids for it.

When i heard about the tech going in Fifa07 i got very interested. It was the logical step forward. EA was trying to free-up the pitch, the ball and players and with 360 control they are very very nearly there. I truly believe that Fifa11 will be the equivalent of EA's PES6. They're going to start individualising the players and adding more personality from that point.

If i had told you that PES would be borrowing ideas such as an overall player rating for players and sliders to adjust field tactics a few years back, you'd have banned me from here.

So yeah, I believe the future is bright for Fifa with this engine (especially considering how long this gen is going to be).

With regards to Fifa10, I think people will use the tactical sliders much more now that you can hold the ball better with 360 dribbling and more intelligent movement into space from players. The game has been tweaked to make holding onto the ball until an option is available, a lot better it seems. (Through-Passes going to the side of the player for them to run on to and a revamped trapping system are a few other things that will help).

Anyways, i hope some better vids are released by some decent players. All the decent players were focusing on playing rather than recording the game it seems...

Certainly not to the extent that FIFA has taken over the simulation and PES is looked at as an arcade style game... :BLINK:

Man some of the old FIFA would make you cry...

Let's hope they deliver and leave us just minor things to bemoan...

I had Fifa 2002 on the Gamecube. Man that was horrific.

When i heard about the tech going in Fifa07 i got very interested. It was the logical step forward. EA was trying to free-up the pitch, the ball and players and with 360 control they are very very nearly there. I truly believe that Fifa11 will be the equivalent of EA's PES6. They're going to start individualising the players and adding more personality from that point.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. You simply couldn't deny EA's on the right track when you watched this featurette that they released few years ago:

YouTube - Fifa 07 Next-Gen Features Walkthrough

Last edited:
yeh adelante, that was the vid i saw that made me a believer. Funny to see so many of those people have faded into the background though!

Also just listened to the riot/suff wenb podcast @wenb properly and picked out Riot raving about Fifa's new online stuff and he said he can't talk about it yet but it was "incredible" & "ridiculously advanced stuff". It can't be Virtual Pro cause everyone's talking about it. I'm pretty sure he's talking about Adidas Live 2.0...

Also He seems to love fif10 going as far as to say that dedicated PES fans there were "completely in love" with it. He says that it's lost that "soulless" feeling of 09. Also said he loves that "total control".

PES fans have gotta be pissed at all that Fifa10 love being spread in their podcast. :lol

I'm definitely getting both games this year if PES2010 can up the responsiveness from the Gamescom demo.

here's the link to the podcast: http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/podcast-073-stop-the-riot/

PES fans have gotta be pissed at all that Fifa10 love being spread in their podcast. :lol
WENB are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Podcast raving about PES 2010: "It's all lies, stupid fanboys."

Podcast raving about FIFA 10: "Have they forgotten what football is, twats."

Podcast calling both crap: "They're always so negative, they have no clue, morons."

Looking at that video shows how far the game has come in the last 3 years. Really puts Konami to shame.

@ Scorp,

Hope they do do a gameplay vid. That's the easiest and most obvious way to make sure the game gets shown how its supposed to be. They could even make it a fun feature leading up to release holding a internal tournament and showing the best games from each round. Shouldn't take much effort, just set up a room in the office with capture software and let the lads play the matches during lunch or whatever.

Thw two japanease guys in the FIFA07 video above, do I remeber wrong or did they "steal" them from Konami? (should be 2005-2006, that should be somewhere around the release of PES6).

I know I'm way early with this.. but anyone know how strict Tesco are with breaking a few hours off release?

Just my mates little brother works there now and I went there last year at midnight.. was just wondering if there was a chance of him getting it to us earlier this year with him working there. I really could just ask him but this idea just came to me.:THINK:..

Last edited:
Thw two japanease guys in the FIFA07 video above, do I remeber wrong or did they "steal" them from Konami? (should be 2005-2006, that should be somewhere around the release of PES6).

I stated many times in these forums (though I think no one ever cared) that one of the things that helped make the shift towards Fifa was thaty EA decided to steal the best programmers of PES some years ago. They had the new engine for next-gen in mind and knew they could deliver a fatal blow to pes if they snapped the best programmers.

Those Japanese programmers were the ones in charge of physics and the core engine of PES. Now you understand why Konami totally failed in next-gen (they suddenly were missing some of their key programmers and seabass lost his vision) and why EA succeeded.

EA decided to invest money in the title on a long-term run while Konami was simply milking the game. Results show right now, and will continue to shine on EA until Konami decides to focus the game to the european market, invest a lot more moeny on the game and sign up talent. 200 people doesn't mean a thing if you don't have the talent. EA knew that and acted consequently.

You can even read again some of the posts where I was talking about it, it sound like a premonition and it's quite fun to remember it now!

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1423453&highlight=EA+programmers#post1423453

http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1484408&highlight=EA+programmers#post1484408

quick question about the new arena. I know we can play up to 11v11 but can we alter tactics and formations? Used to spends ages on WE tinkering before i started a master league

Back
Top Bottom