FIFA 10

I don't disagree with you Wildster don't get me wrong, I genuinely agree with everything you say about it. I just knew it was coming so if they keep it to having as little of an effect as they're talking about then I can let them off with that (until next year when it's a bigger increase, because let's be honest, I would bet money on it).

As Jamezinho has just said, it's not the guys who MAKE the game, it's the guys who SELL the game who have insisted upon this. I imagine some of the people working on the game are actually really disappointed that it's in and they're thinking "great, all the hard work we've put into it and we have to allow for stat boosting - everybody hates us now".

If Mike Takla has argued with them to get them down to a +10 boost only, then fair play to him. I don't blame him for this, I don't blame anyone who's created the game we played and loved at the Emirates. EA are a company and the guys at the top want a few more mansions before they retire.

NEW PODCAST UP HERE IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED!
(40 mins of me and Tim discussing the news and our time with the game)

so why couldnt they just sell boots/kit/hairstyles etc and leave the stats alone. They would probably make just as much money. I hear what your saying Chris but if you give them an inch this year they will push for a mile next....its how real world football has ended up...its all about money and i hate it....and its the real fans that get screwed.

Just downloaded the podcast and its on the moby ready for bedtime, cheers.

so why couldnt they just sell boots/kit/hairstyles etc and leave the stats alone.
Because let's be honest, they wouldn't sell as well would they...

Some would buy that stuff, yes, but put that next to a stat boost and all the 12-year-old's mouths will begin to water.

It's shit though.

In COD for example, you start with crap weapons and the only way to get better weapons and perks and attachments etc is to kill people using the shit weapons using pure skill. The more you do it the better stuff you get that's how FIFA should be.

Listening to the podcast now.
I like how you guys keep focusing on how the gameplay videos do not reveal everything.People are crippling the game hahahaha
My entire hope for this game is based on you Chris, I hope you won't pull an Adam on us (kidding)

It's shit though.

In COD for example, you start with crap weapons and the only way to get better weapons and perks and attachments etc is to kill people using the shit weapons using pure skill. The more you do it the better stuff you get that's how FIFA should be.
That's the aim of the game though, take that away and you've got nothing but running around and shooting people. No ranks, no weapons, what's left? It'd be like endless unranked games in FIFA. (And besides, how many pre-order offers have you seen where you get an early weapon unlock in COD, or Battlefield, or Killzone, or whatever? That's their particular way of making money from you.)

I really do sound like I'm condoning it now don't I... I'm not, it's terrible. But they're never going to take it out of the game, it makes money, so I know there's no point in fighting about it. At least, not until it gets to the point where you can max out the stats entirely.

Listening to the podcast now.
I like how you guys keep focusing on how the gameplay videos do not reveal everything.People are crippling the game hahahaha
My entire hope for this game is based on you Chris, I hope you won't pull an Adam on us (kidding)
To be honest that is really worrying me, every year I get accused of being over-enthusiastic... But the best thing about this year is that so many people played it at the Emirates, and everybody who played the game has the same things to say. We were all hugely impressed with nothing but good things to say about the game.

Christ, it does still worry me though. If they do something to the gameplay code pre-release and wreck it, we'll look like we all took bungs...

Last edited:
Boosts are not aimed at casual players, that's absolute bullshit... Casual players just play the game when they have a bit of free time and wouldn't care enough about the game to pay real money to score a few more goals...
He says it's just paying for 5-10 points temporarily that you can get by playing anyway, it ADDS TO your attributes, so good players will have the 30-40 extra points, PLUS the 10 boost points.

:RANT:

Just read a french review of the game (on www.jeuxvideo.com) and overall they are opmistic about the VP mode (which in essence is a very good idea).Overall for them it's better shooting,dribbling,better advantage rule and a ball physics completely separated from the player's.
I really trust that site as overall they've been delivering some good and accurate reviews of games

He says it's just paying for 5-10 points temporarily that you can get by playing anyway, it ADDS TO your attributes, so good players will have the 30-40 extra points, PLUS the 10 boost points.

:RANT:
This is my understanding of it, I've been studying it for days so hopefully I'm getting this right...

The attributes are from 0-100. Say after a few games I've got 65 everything (which wouldn't happen, you'd have good speed and poor strength or vice versa with the physical system they're implementing plus you'd have good shooting and poor tackling from concentrating on your position if you were a striker for example, but I digress).

I pay for a 10+ boost for all "boostable" categories (the technical stats) for three games. So my shooting etc. goes up to 75.

The next game I play, I score a goal, it goes up to 85. (At the same time my defensive stats will drop if I haven't tackled well or often.)

The next game I play I don't score, it goes down to 75.

The next game I play I don't score, it goes down to 65.

There goes the boost I paid for PLUS when it wears off it'll go down to 55. Whereas if I'd put in the effort, apparently you can get stat increases of 30 if you do amazingly well, and (if I understand it correctly) you wouldn't lose as much as the boost you'll lose by putting in a good shift. So, if that's how it is, there's not much point in them.

Now personally I have no problem with the above situation - I'd rather it didn't happen at all but if it's going to be in the game that's fine with me. However, I admit that we need to see the numbers from EA to know if it's going to be as simple as that, but Mike has said he will come back with them at some point. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
So if my shooting is 80, I can get it to 90 for a few matches?

That's a significant improvement and it's a game changing improvement

NEW PODCAST UP HERE IF ANYONE'S INTERESTED!
(40 mins of me and Tim discussing the news and our time with the game)

Awesome. Thanks man. (as you can tell, i'm glued to these sites for any fifa info all day via phone and pc :( fifa has me by the nuts this year)

Just read a french review of the game (on www.jeuxvideo.com) and overall they are opmistic about the VP mode (which in essence is a very good idea).Overall for them it's better shooting,dribbling,better advantage rule and a ball physics completely separated from the player's.
I really trust that site as overall they've been delivering some good and accurate reviews of games

jeuxvideo is very reputable. Glad the had nice things to say. Eurogamer's review is another i'll look out for.

Last edited:
This is my understanding of it, I've been studying it for days so hopefully I'm getting this right...

The attributes are from 0-100. Say after a few games I've got 65 everything (which wouldn't happen, you'd have good speed and poor strength or vice versa with the physical system they're implementing plus you'd have good shooting and poor tackling from concentrating on your position if you were a striker for example, but I digress).

I pay for a 10+ boost for all "boostable" categories (the technical stats) for three games. So my shooting etc. goes up to 75.

The next game I play, I score a goal, it goes up to 85. (At the same time my defensive stats will drop if I haven't tackled well or often.)

The next game I play I don't score, it goes down to 75.

The next game I play I don't score, it goes down to 65.

There goes the boost I paid for PLUS when it wears off it'll go down to 55. Whereas if I'd put in the effort, apparently you can get stat increases of 30 if you do amazingly well, and (if I understand it correctly) you wouldn't lose as much as the boost you'll lose by putting in a good shift. So, if that's how it is, there's not much point in them.

Now personally I have no problem with the above situation - I'd rather it didn't happen at all but if it's going to be in the game that's fine with me. However, I admit that we need to see the numbers from EA to know if it's going to be as simple as that, but Mike has said he will come back with them at some point. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Not really to impressed with that :(( I thought it was a case of everyone starting with "Generic" stats for their position but with a rating of 60 (Random low number) overall with the attacking players having higher attacking stats rather than the Defensive players having higher defensive stats from the off. If the stats are going to rapidly change from 90 - 60 then It seems a bit silly, I rsther they let the stats grow slowly such as 5-10 points added after performing well consistently in that area (every 10 good games well)

Think about how much worse it could be. I'm not happy, but.. if I compare what it ACTUALLY is to what, knowing EA, it would probably be, I'm overjoyed.

An actual new vid! You won't deny me now Placebo! Huahuahuahua. :)

YouTube - Fifa 10 Gameplay Good Quality Gamescom 2009

Apart from the drunk camera man and the dodgy players, i really like this vid. The cross @ about 1.00minute has some nice whip to it. And the Physics on deflections and overall infact, is sick.

The one-on-one in the endhas a new save animation from the keeper and new physics on the ball. Shooting really has improved!

Last edited:
Floaty? The ball's moving very realistically actually. It even has zip off of deflections. Any faster and we start entering arcade territory.

Found some impressions from Gamescon:

http://play.tm/preview/26301/fifa-10/

witness the free-form feel of the play, the random nature of passing moves and interceptions and consider that while Konami's opus has in some respects become more controlled, a la the FIFA experiences of yesteryear, EA's creation has gone all out to become the title of choice for the purists.

FIFA 10 really is looking very slick indeed, the on-pitch action feeling every bit as inspired and unpredictable as the sport it attempts to recreate.

The full 360 degree dribbling is part of the improvement here, alongside the flexible nature of dribbling, while AI advancements, better positioning, a new-look passing mechanic not mention greater positional sense all come to bare upon the already much-improved FIFA 09 package.

In-game load times are seemingly better than ever, EA Sports having obviously lavished a lot of tender loving care on their match engine, insuring that no pesky judders interrupt the sense of total immersion in the beautiful game.

During one tense moment in my Stuttgart versus Juventus match (ably set-up by my EA guide), I became embroiled in a frantic penalty area scramble, complete with flailing goal keeper and insane ricochets, defenders desperately trying to clear while attackers attempted to craft a clear shot. This instance stuck in my mind because it not only looked like the kind of occurence you might see in any big game in the real world, but also because this was the kind of situation that was hard to achieve in previous FIFA outings

Player likenesses also seem to have been tweaked, with more detail added, while the animation seems much more liquid; limbs moving like limbs rather than the robotic, pre-programmed frame-sets of older football games.

FIFA 10 feels just a tad harder in general, although this could be tweaked prior to release, the passing system requiring far more dexterity than in the past - opposition players finding interceptions less futile than in the past.

Sorry if old.

Last edited:
Beautiful compilation of comments, this game is shaping up to be the successor to PES5 (from the FIFA camp???), dare I say?

Could this game have the same quality to stand the test of time? Every youtube video of gameplay footage I see just confirms this game's brilliance with every touch on the ball.

Last edited:
It's shit though.

There've been a ton of posts about this but I figured I'd quote one of the more recent just to let people know what I was talking about.

I'm sure it was mentioned in some of the last few pages, but if this had been done with an offline mode, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

In NCAA 10 for instance, you have about 4 "Dynasty Accelerators" that you can use to get recruits faster, max out the time that you can make your pitches, develop pipeline states instantly, and a one other one. Now, if you're actually playing the Dynasty as you should, you wouldn't need this, but I guess if EA says to you "if you pay us a little money, we'll effectively allow you to waste some of the $60 that you paid for the game in the first place by shortening your game experience," and you're dumb enough to pay for it, then go right ahead.

They could do that with MM somehow (although I doubt it would work with all the bugs and omissions that MM has had thus far) or even the offline Be A Pro mode as it's not effecting anyone and if you wanna ruin your experience, again, go right ahead.

But there's no excuse for actually allowing people to pay to get a leg up on other human players when online. All of these "accelerators" are paid cheat codes, but the ones that only work offline are whatever.

I don't buy this bullshit about only "casual" gamers being the ones that will use it either. To be honest, "casual" gamers will probably be playing ranked matches or Online Team Play and not something as seemingly involved as uploading your picture, playing in tourneys, making teams, actually working as a team while playing a specific position, etc.

We all know who's gonna use it. But as soon as I saw it in NCAA and Madden, I knew it was going to make it's way here. Just didn't know it was going to give you an advantage over people online. Fucking silly...

So if my shooting is 80, I can get it to 90 for a few matches?

That's a significant improvement and it's a game changing improvement

And to quickly answer the next post - the top clubs won't be buying boosts, as there players will be better than the boosts can make them.
This is something that is very important. Lets face it, we won't be able to get it out of the game, and I think it's implemented in a way that might work (decent enough).

My biggest worry is that people will be able to train up (not boost) their players so that they have over 90 in almost everything, which would ruin all realism. I'd love to see the 85 overall from FIFA 09 Clubs (or even lower, like 80 so that the few stats over really stands out) in the sense that you can't have more than a few stats over 80/85, or each point up over 88 (for example) results in another stat having to be decreased by 5, to balance it up. Of course that is only a rough idea but I think it could work in a similar manner.

I really hope that it'll be very few stats over 90 for even the best players.

Borrowed my own post from the EA forums.

i think allot of you are blowing this up, more than it is (this is the only mode i play and i played probably over 1500 club games on fifa 09)although i can understand your concerns

he has said you can't use boosts to get better than someone who puts time in and who is actually good at the game (plus if you play it allot, you should still beat the people who want to get to the top quicker by buying boosts rather than putting the time in)

it encourages more people to play the game, the casual gamers who don't have allot of time, can compete at the same level (although i still think the people who put the time in will have the advantage , playing wise and this has been confirmed that you cannot get more stats than you can playing the game)

once you reach a certain level you cannot stat boost higher than that value, so that has been confirmed (i think what we should be worried about, is to what value you can get to regardless of the boosts)

The boosts are capped at a certain value. If you've already reached this value (because you have been playing the game) you wouldn't buy it, as you're already better. They aren't something you can keep buying to get better & better & better, they'll just help when you get started.

People become good at Clubs because they play the game & your player will become better as you play the game. Assuming the top Clubs players will play the game, because that's the only way to be a top Club, they won't buy something that doesn't improve their already better players.

if it all works out as they have planned, i.e there are no cheats or glitches then there should be no disadvantage to the gamers who put the time in

Last edited:
i think allot of you are blowing this up, more than it is (this is the only mode i play and i played probably over 1500 club games on fifa 09)although i can understand your concerns

he has said you can't use boosts to get better than someone who puts time in and who is actually good at the game (plus if you play it allot, you should still beat the people who want to get to the top quicker by buying boosts rather than putting the time in)

it encourages more people to play the game, the casual gamers who don't have allot of time, can compete at the same level (although i still think the people who put the time in will have the advantage , playing wise and this has been confirmed that you cannot get more stats than you can playing the game)

once you reach a certain level you cannot stat boost higher than that value, so that has been confirmed (i think what we should be worried about, is to what value you can get to regardless of the boosts)

if it all works out as they have planned, i.e there are no cheats or glitches then there should be no disadvantage to the gamers who put the time in

These are probably the same considerations the dev team went through when they decided to add the boost option, and in the end it seems to benefit everyone in theory. Didn't anybody here play Legends mode on PES 09 (Guess not, it's a FIFA forum)? I thought it made complete sense that the players who put the most time into BaL had better stats, and shouldn't the online aspect work like a miniature MMORPG for footy? I'm having a hard time understanding peoples' concerns; the stat boosts only affect finishing and shooting stats and keepers are already godlike in this game. Surely most people can defend in and around the box much better with the revised defensive AI that's been shown.

rebuttal?

PS who doesn't like the occasional screamer, didn't we all watch the community shield match a few weeks ago and that blistering shot by Assou-Ekotto against Liverpool this week?

The question I ask is, why have the boost?

Seems like a pointless thing to have the more EA talk about.

I think you missed one thing though. All of what he said was assuming that the only people who will boost is the 'casual' gamer. There will definitely be hardcore gamers better than me and you using these boosts (until they maxxed out their player)

If me and you were at the same level (i know your better Phil :-)) i can buy a boost before our next match and beat you.

There is no need for it at all. No positives have come from this... Just people with different levels of negative... Who actually has asked for this to be put in ???? Who if asked would vote YES for this to be in the game ????

The ONLY things i want out of a game online are no lag and an even playing field. They are the two main things for online to work... They just decided to make money and take one of those away.

Because let's be honest, they wouldn't sell as well would they...

Some would buy that stuff, yes, but put that next to a stat boost and all the 12-year-old's mouths will begin to water.

What I want to know is where are all these rich 12 year olds with expendable income for stat boosts. The way I see it is that the 12 year olds are the ones that will earn their stats as they dont have to go to work :)

Seriously though, I trust that EA will not ruin the game with this. They made the mistake with UT and I just dont see them making the same mistake with the main game.

The EA guy that replied tried to put our minds at ease by saying your player will be better if you dont boost. Lets just see what happens, then if it does ruin it, queue all the online petitions etc.

There are always the other modes to play if it pisses you off that much.

Q. Does anyone know if the Virtual Pro required for Clubs? Or can you still play clubs using proper teams? If you can revert to proper clubs then thats great *if* Virtual Pro is mince.

@ Chris,

How did you get to that calculation? From that I understand it to be more like Live Season as its far more like form then basic stats. Stats are far more definite and don't change per game yet the way you explained it it seems to be far more like form.

From a gaming perspective I think thats really good, would work the same way as Mariokarts points system which to me makes it very addictive. Although it would piss me off having to race people who get their "skill" from paying for it....Yeah its a shite system but with 11 players the impact can be less.

In a word, no . You can't have rainy day matches at Anfield for example.

Eh, Im sure Ive read someone from EA confirming this, after all how the f#$k can they not do it when Marcus has gone on about getting the scheduling and atmosphere correct in MM. Im pretty sure that they have day and night for all the stadiums.......not sure about weather effect but to me thats secondary.

There is no need for it at all. No positives have come from this... Just people with different levels of negative... Who actually has asked for this to be put in ???? Who if asked would vote YES for this to be in the game ????

Unfortunately, the people on this forum are not a true indicator of the people you tend to meet in the game online. Based on my Fifa 09 experience of cheaters and unsporting players, I'd say this will be a very popular option with probably the majority of fuckwits that play the game.

The ONLY things i want out of a game online are no lag and an even playing field. They are the two main things for online to work... They just decided to make money and take one of those away.

I agree 100%.

Back
Top Bottom