FIFA 10

Ok, it's been over an hour since Chris' last update so here's everything again so far (as I haven't done this for about 2 hours) - all in reverse order (i.e newest posts are at the top).

==========================================================================
Goalkeepers are improved in the newer build, less stupid mistakes - cross-field balls still floaty but still time for that to be fixed

Through-balls are nowhere near as effective as before, requires an actual opportunity rather than just hammering it and getting a chance

Button-mashing doesn't yield the same results. Tackling isn't a case of holding down the pressure button, it requires much more timing.

Tried fully assisted, seems harder. Only scored one goal - the game can be played slowly and it's a LOT more tactical.

CRACKER! MJSmith skins a defender, fake-shots and SLAMS it in. This is what FIFA has been missing. Stunner

Had a few issues where the player runs up to the ball and starts tiptoeing, ala FIFA 09, but I'm assured that will be looked at

Playing the later build now, seeing all kinds of shots; the ball physics are just spot on. Such a refined game. Less cut-scenes is great too

Overall CPU AI is a lot better, more challenging without so much of the 'cheating'. This day is going to end way too soon

WHAT A GOAL! Tim7 takes the free-kick ON THE FLOOR at pace, FLIES into the corner! 4 grown men shout and make a fool of themselves. Worth it

Goal cam has raindrops on! AI CPU on Pro has ran into the keeper when they should have scored a few times, hopefully that will improve.

So many more OH! moments which is something FIFA 09 was missing with the floaty shots etc... The more you play it the more you appreciate it

Rain goes on and off throughout the game. Brilliant, but in this build the rain looks a bit 'javelinny' if you know what I mean

Snow match going on next to us, just conceded because of its awesomeness. Absolutely brill weather effects. Trying a rainy night game next

Just testing the AI... So much better, when a player muscles the ball off you you can 'believe' it. It's not like it's 'cheating'.

In this build they make some really realistic-looking errors, and some shocking ones too - Cech has just palmed the ball into his own net

Goalkeepers have had so much work, they can really stretch to fingertip the ball away - without being superhuman. But...

New scoreboard features the colour of the team behind their section of the score, another little thing but really nice touch

New line-up screen features the kits of the team - sounds like a little thing but it makes the game look so much more like a real match

Cross-field balls still a bit floaty in this build but hopefully that'll be worked on because you can actually hit driven crosses by the box

75 minutes in and in the game opposite me, Dani Alves of Barca is knackered from being sprinted all game. Stamina is much more realistic

New commentary is great, seems to be more specific lines now. Messi's face is also spot on, as are others, faces are better all-round

Response times when you sprint in this build are a bit iffy, ran the ball out of play three times in three games so far, but should be fixed

Can't describe the feeling of beating a man and scoring a hard, dipping into the back of a rippling net. Much more refined game.

Old build has 360 slow dribbling but not 360 degree sprinting which is disappointing but I'm told this will probably change

So much more responsive, and even more so when you use the slow dribbling - which is great.

Okay, first game over. Burnley v Man City. I can beat a man, and I can WHACK a shot. Very happy. More after the next game!
===========================================================================

this is all fantastic news
and it true if chris find a negative he should definatley tell them (EA)...which i am sure he is doing
beacuse if the know about it..there is a bigger chance they can change or implement things or even tell chris that the know about it and are going to put it in or take it out
FIFA 10 is shaping up to be a brilliant game...it also alright to see that PES is making some changes too...some people will be be glad that there will be two footy games coming out that they can enjoy...
me personally, i think FIFA is going to be the winner this year agian....
well done EA
does anyone know when the event at the emirates ends?...and when chris is goin to post the poscast on FSB?...like would it be later today or tommorow?

:... Sounds brilliant. I hope their is 360 movement when sprinting, less floaty long passes but other than that sounds great.

@ FootballFan - I posted this earlier this morning on the same subject:

I just saw that Rutter posted 17 hours ago that they just reached zero bugs on the build so looks like they're getting close. I wonder if it'll be that version the guys get to play today?

Based on what we've heard from Chris since that CANNOT be the same version (or their play testers aren't as good as Chris!)

Sounds FIFA is no longer the ugly girlfriend, this may be the beginning of a fruitful relationship.

Final Update from Chris:

Looks like our time with the game is over. That's all the updates I'll be sorting today, stay tuned for a podcast over the weekend!

Through-balls are nowhere near as effective as before, requires an actual opportunity rather than just hammering it and getting a chance

===========================================================================

That's exactly how it should be, really glad that has been addressed. Well played EA. :APPLAUD:

@ FootballFan - I posted this earlier this morning on the same subject:

I just saw that Rutter posted 17 hours ago that they just reached zero bugs on the build so looks like they're getting close. I wonder if it'll be that version the guys get to play today?

Based on what we've heard from Chris since that CANNOT be the same version (or their play testers aren't as good as Chris!)

It is not possible to reach zero bugs ever!

But at least it means they have fixed the bugs they know about :)

So far it's looking good.

However one main improvement high up on most people's wish lists seems to have been ignored: players feeling and playing differently to other players.

I know there's plenty of development left but if it was intended to be included they'd have made a big thing of it I think?

Anyway, it's all good so far I'm just made up they're putting so much effort into the single player mode.

Hey, football_fan - I just read on the link dags provided that the trapping problem HAS been addressed :-)

hello i was wondering if Bernabeu is in FIFA 10 ....

hello i was wondering if Bernabeu is in FIFA 10 ....

I was just about to reply to your pm - here's what TikTikTikTik posted earlier today when observing the chatbox (Tim7 has been there today too) so it looks like yes is the answer !

====================================

[10:58] Tim7: The bernabeu is in!
[10:55] Tim7: Keepers are shocking
[10:53] Tim7: Shooting from distance is much improved yes
[10:51] Tim7: Manual is better, tap a and it will do a short pass
[10:49] Tim7: Quick free kicks are good
[10:49] Tim7: Nice new ref animations
[10:47] Tim7: Collisions are ok
[10:26] Tim7: When you're not sprinting, response times are AMAZING!!!
[10:24] Tim7: Keepers are questionable
[10:23] Tim7: Shots are awesome
[10:22] Tim7: Pitch isn't noticable bigger
[10:22] Gab_: Also like that tim said it feels "free-er"

I was just about to reply to your pm - here's what TikTikTikTik posted earlier today when observing the chatbox (Tim7 has been there today too) so it looks like yes is the answer !

====================================

[10:58] Tim7: The bernabeu is in!
[10:55] Tim7: Keepers are shocking
[10:53] Tim7: Shooting from distance is much improved yes
[10:51] Tim7: Manual is better, tap a and it will do a short pass
[10:49] Tim7: Quick free kicks are good
[10:49] Tim7: Nice new ref animations
[10:47] Tim7: Collisions are ok
[10:26] Tim7: When you're not sprinting, response times are AMAZING!!!
[10:24] Tim7: Keepers are questionable
[10:23] Tim7: Shots are awesome
[10:22] Tim7: Pitch isn't noticable bigger
[10:22] Gab_: Also like that tim said it feels "free-er"

doesn't konami own bernabeu stadium license.

i wonder what is the name of the stadium in fifa 10...:))

Final Update from Chris:

Looks like our time with the game is over. That's all the updates I'll be sorting today, stay tuned for a podcast over the weekend!

could you tell us if they have new commentaries in english & spanish....:APPLAUD:

could you tell us if they have new commentaries in english & spanish....:APPLAUD:

If you look at post 3184 then you'll see a list of everything that Chris has twittered today.

Amongst that post you will see:

------------------------------------------

New commentary is great, seems to be more specific lines now. Messi's face is also spot on, as are others, faces are better all-round

--------------------------------------------

So that half answers your question - because obviously Chris would only have been referring to English! :-)

Right. I'm back from a superb day with FIFA10! I can take any questions in here for about an hour or so from now if anyone wants to know anything specific? I'll try and answer my best.

Regards the Bernabeu, it is definitely the Bernabeu, but will be under a different name. It is assigned as Real Madrid's stadium by default (it was in this build anyway and I can't see it changing). It looks really good too, even got the blue bit round the outside of the pitch!

Nets are a bit disappointing. They are looser than FIFA09, but nowhere near the football kingdom nets we all dream of. Also, there was only one type of net - the standard square nets, and all stadiums we played in were the same depth and looseness.

Fire away...

Thnx Tim, here the list I made before hand. Some have been anwsered and some haven't:

- Is crossing fast, direct enough - less floaty then 09 yes
- Do shots have dip ala Gerrard
- Can you do low powerful shots
- Are goalie reactions fast enough (running ot for 1-on-1's)
- Have they improved the movement for penaltybox headers? Do players really attack them or are they still too static and waiting for the ball most of the time.
- Crossfield pass? Good speed, power? better then 09, still floaty
- Short passing, crisp?
- Reaction times players? faster
- Fouls? Is the ref better, more balanced for cards?
- Advantage rule?
- Direct freekicks, can you take a decent shot? I find it far too precise, anything over 2 bars and its row Z
- Player individualty?
- 360 movement?

Did you notice if anything annoying from 09 was still in? For example when you hit a cross or normal pass the player usually stands frozen for a while. Or how about the one where you get dragged offside in a freekick (when you played 2 vs cpu), or anything else of those kind of things?

You say shooting is improved, does this mean we get a huge variety of shots - ones which dip, rise, fly really straight, swerve etc.?

Do players in the box really attack the ball?

Is the 1v1 aerial battles system still there, or can any player try to make contact with the ball?

Do the keepers still save everything from long range (25 yards+) I saw that you scored a 20 yard goal earlier, but didn't hear of any real long-long range goals.

Can you round the keeper?

If you double-sprint-pressure, will you get owned?

Do the AI defenders push up too highly and get caught out with the chipped through ball all the time?

Is assisted still too accurate? Did different players pass differently on assisted/semi (i.e. Beckham > Bramble)?

Thanks in advance :).

Last edited by a moderator:
how was the weather ?
Yeah, real nice and sunny today. A hot one in London :TU:. Oh weather on the game was good too! Played in rain which is quite cool and effects the balls movement on the pitch, i.e. skids off the surface more. And when you slide tackle you can see the water coming off the pitch. At the start of the match it wasn't raining but was a wet pitch, then about 10 minutes in it started raining and you can see it on screen. As CD says it is a bit javelliny, but still looks good imo.

Did you notice if anything annoying from 09 was still in? For example when you hit a cross or normal pass the player usually stands frozen for a while. Or how about the one where you get dragged offside in a freekick (when you played 2 vs cpu), or anything else of those kind of things?
Didn't see any offside dragging but not that many long balls played or free kicks played up to front men. Response times were better in general so when you asked them to do something they did it. Only annoying thing was that when you are sprinting, response times rapidly decrease, so sometimes they run the ball out of play by mistake, or fail to shoot / pass it. However I think this is realistic to a degree...

Thnx Tim, here the list I made before hand. Some have been anwsered and some haven't:

- Is crossing fast, direct enough - less floaty then 09 yes
- Do shots have dip ala Gerrard - yes, MJ scored a cracker
- Can you do low powerful shots - oh yes!
- Are goalie reactions fast enough (running ot for 1-on-1's) - yes they are MUCH more aggressive coming out on their own now.
- Have they improved the movement for penaltybox headers? Do players really attack them or are they still too static and waiting for the ball most of the time. - couldn't really tell to be honest, i didn't see a single header scored all day...
- Crossfield pass? Good speed, power? better then 09, still floaty
- Short passing, crisp? - yeah, nice and crisp same as 09 really.
- Reaction times players? faster
- Fouls? Is the ref better, more balanced for cards? the ref is better, i only saw one red (wasn't me that got it :PP) and it was probably deserved so that's good.
- Advantage rule? advantage has been fixed from what I saw, but i'm sure there are situations where it might not be implemented properly
- Direct freekicks, can you take a decent shot? I find it far too precise, anything over 2 bars and its row Z - only had one FK and I hit it on the ground and it went in!
- Player individualty? - not really, Eto'o is fast, Gerrard is strong etc but that's it.
- 360 movement? yes, when you hold close control button.

Rob:

You say shooting is improved, does this mean we get a huge variety of shots - ones which dip, rise, fly really straight, swerve etc.?

Erm, most of them seemed to be powerful shots if I'm honest. I guess there could be variety though, didn't really use finesse shots at all. And didn't experiment with power bar.

Do players in the box really attack the ball?

No idea, sorry, it was pretty much the same as 09 though from corners etc.

Is the 1v1 aerial battles system still there, or can any player try to make contact with the ball?

1v1 still I'm afraid. Though it's a lot free-er now, you have to be careful not to misjudge the flight and go under the ball.

Do the keepers still save everything from long range (25 yards+) I saw that you scored a 20 yard goal earlier, but didn't hear of any real long-long range goals.

I also scored a 30 yarder with Robben that went like a rocket, so that was good. I don't think they would save everything from long range no. It's well worth taking pot shots as I mentioned because you just don't know what will go in and what won't.

Can you round the keeper?

Still difficult

If you double-sprint-pressure, will you get owned?

Yes, by better players and passers of the ball will own you. Also people who master the dribbling will.

Do the AI defenders push up too highly and get caught out with the chipped through ball all the time?

Didn't play against the AI enough, but I would say no. I didn't get 1 on 1 with the AI at all in the small time I played against them.

Is assisted still too accurate? Did different players pass differently on assisted/semi (i.e. Beckham > Bramble)?

Well, assisted passing is still quite accurate yes, however the defence is more aware and intercept better now so it's not as effective to just ping the ball round now. And there are lots of new animations for defenders stretching to get in the way, or sticking a leg out to block passes. And assisted shooting is not accurate at all from the people playing that we watched! Most of their shots went wide to be fair, and one or two straight at the goalie. I really think people who persevere with manual and semi shooting will be rewarded much more on FIFA 10. Different players don't really pass differently no.

Oke guys all sounds very promising, but make my day now: what about the bloody nets!? :P

Nets are a bit disappointing. They are looser than FIFA09, but nowhere near the football kingdom nets we all dream of. Also, there was only one type of net - the standard square nets, and all stadiums we played in were the same depth and looseness.

Wait a minute, 360 only when using close control, not even on normal jogging? I know chris said it wasn't on sprinting, but normal pace surely must also have it right? Wankers at EA otherwise...

2009-1-10.jpg

2009-3-3.jpg

Cheers Tim! :TU:

Mostly what I wanted to hear, a couple of disappointing things but i'm much more optimistic about FIFA 10 after today :).

Back
Top Bottom