FIFA 10

same old same old?
I told you your expectations of "getting two great games" this year were only going to lead to big disappointment...

To be honest I always expect FIFA to have floaty shots, shit keepers and sweet spots that you always score from, it's how it's always been, and now after the type of fanbase it got last year (little kids) I expect it to have easy ping-pong passing (which it seems to have from that video, and I don't get how you would need to be good to do it, you aim in the general direction of a player, tap a button, the rest is done for you).

As for PES... You can never really expect much from that, it seems random whether Konami produce a good game or a bad one.

I told you your expectations of "getting two great games" this year were only going to lead to big disappointment...

To be honest I always expect FIFA to have floaty shots, shit keepers and sweet spots that you always score from, it's how it's always been, and now after the type of fanbase it got last year (little kids) I expect it to have easy ping-pong passing (which it seems to have from that video, and I don't get how you would need to be good to do it, you aim in the general direction of a player, tap a button, the rest is done for you).

As for PES... You can never really expect much from that, it seems random whether Konami produce a good game or a bad one.

I know, maybe videos next week might just change my mind

The video is ok, their still seems to be a lack of build up play though. im guessing the speed of it is down to the compression of the video. passing will always be like that on assisted. seems like they've got their hands jammed on the sprint button also. will see what Germany will show.

Even moreso if you have just visited the pes2010 thread going into meltdown. :D

lol yeh. the video looks good for me. i think you guys are hasrh calling it ping-pong passing. it would be WELL FRAUSTRATING if every other pass wa intercepted. maybe they should determine the dificulty by increasing the amount of manual coontrol you need to play with? that would satisfy everyone.

assisted people can just slot it onto easy and manual players can pop it into legendary.

thimples.

Eurogamer think FIFA 10 is the better game out of this and PES 10. I'd post that in the PES thread but I don't think it would go down too well.

From the Twitter account mentioned earlier:

I've played about 30 games of PES and about a dozen of FIFA, so I can't comment with complete authority, but I'd say FIFA [is the better game].

Eurogamer think FIFA 10 is the better game out of this and PES 10. I'd post that in the PES thread but I don't think it would go down too well.

From the Twitter account mentioned earlier:

well there's no way they could make a better game than fifa in one year. i knew that. but it seems they came close enough, which is decent.

Fifa10 has so many tiny details that i notice in the vids to make it a mor realistic experience. (check out the new attacking runs made during the cross. someone is ACTUALLY bakcstick!!).

The video is ok, their still seems to be a lack of build up play though. im guessing the speed of it is down to the compression of the video. passing will always be like that on assisted. seems like they've got their hands jammed on the sprint button also. will see what Germany will show.

No offence to anyone, but who are these people who can't properly convert video? Compression doesn't really have anything to do with it, as it acts on every frame to remove data least needed. But the frame rate itself shouldn't be affected, or atleast they would have a function to for example downsample from 60fps to 30 or 24, while still maintaining the same apparent speed of the material that was filmed?

Seems strange how subtle the 360 degree movement looks, I wonder if it really is 360 or does it just require to be played to be believed?

I'm this close to calling bullshit on that "you have to play it to FEEL the difference" line. Either every game we've been watching is being played on assisted everything between two cheesers (like the kid with Lyon) or the game is exactly the same. Maybe that's why so many videos of Madden 10 came out during the development cycle and we've seen hardly anything of FIFA.

The simple fact that you can even still make pinpoint passes without facing the player or being in a realistic position to pass the ball lets me know that little has changed. That shit shouldn't be able to happen. You should be able to try it, but it shouldn't work.

And fuck is that game fast as all hell...

same old same old?

Yup.

lol yeh. the video looks good for me. i think you guys are hasrh calling it ping-pong passing. it would be WELL FRAUSTRATING if every other pass wa intercepted.

The problem is those passes are hardly EVER intercepted. If the defensive AI really got the tune-up that Rutter claimed, those would, and should get intercepted more often than not. Instead of defenders just ignoring the ball or moving out of the way. The only time the ball is intercepted is when you run into another guy because you're holding turbo and the other guy is holding the 1st and/or 2nd defender pressure button. Players at that level don't lose the ball that often.

I still haven't seen this momentum that they've been talking about. Cross a guy over, wrong-foot him, get him going one way, then go the other and he shouldn't be able to recover.

maybe they should determine the dificulty by increasing the amount of manual coontrol you need to play with? that would satisfy everyone.

They should just do away with assisted altogether.

I know I've been harsh on this game, but FIFA 09 was garbage online and had a shit MM. Looks like the same shit that we had to deal with with the current title online will be back again and they haven't really done a whole lot to improve the MM.

It really sounds like people are hoping for FIFA 10 to be good so much that they keep throwing around this "you don't what build it might be..." or the "I guess you'll have to play it to feel the difference..." logic.

The fact that what we all complained out in FIFA 09 still appears to be possible in the few videos that we've seen says quite a bit.

From FIFA 08 to 09 the early video showed a clear difference in play speed and mechanics (definitely not for the better though). From 09 to 10 it looks precisely the same yet suddenly we're in wait and see mode as if the past three videos were just the result of shitty people playing them.

I HOPE that I'm wrong and that the build at Gamescom is a completely 180 from what we see in that video but c'mon now...the game releases in a little under 2 months.

Last edited:
I have enjoyed FIFA 09 tremendously and have had more than my £45 worth out of it.

I think FIFA 10 will have refined gameplay, some new animations and hopefully new commentary, updates to modes such as MM(which I have never ventured into), and online improvements.

1 year dev time is not a lot of time really to implement vast arrays of features and overhaulling of existing stuff. It was never going to be a completely different game, so Im not surprised it looks similar.

If it is FIFA 09 with tweaks I'll be happy, for this year anyway. Next release I would think they will need to do a bit more.

I guess what Im trying to say is that if you expect too much you will be dissapointed.

The nets look shit from that video. The ball rolls into the bottom of the net and it just stops dead, like it's hit a brick wall or something! :NONO:

What do people really expect it to look like? The graphics ain't going to be different :)

Seriously, how anybody can take anything away from looking at those little snippets I don't know! It makes me laugh. Get a grip FFS.

LOOKING at gameplay videos does fuck all for me! You can only really comment on anything once you play the game for yourself.

I have enjoyed FIFA 09 tremendously and have had more than my £45 worth out of it.

Same, and I expect 10 to be the same by the sounds of the improvements to MM as well as the aesthetic experience of the matches.

What do people really expect it to look like? The graphics ain't going to be different :)

Seriously, how anybody can take anything away from looking at those little snippets I don't know! It makes me laugh. Get a grip FFS.

LOOKING at gameplay videos does fuck all for me! You can only really comment on anything once you play the game for yourself.

Well said.

I'm hoping that with the improved shooting/ball physics we'll see goals like this in Fifa10:

eeej.gif

EEE was using manual shooting there ;)

Last edited:
Nothing appearing above for me Placebo.

Playtest tomorrow, can't wait (but I'm going to be disappointed if we don't get to try the Gamescom build, otherwise half the stuff we get from the playtest might change come release day - then it'll be "I hope this is worked on" and "I hope this is added" for two months, and it's the hope that kills you).

Back
Top Bottom