FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Another great vid!

Guys, if you were thinking of getting a console just for this game, what would be the best/cheapest option? Would an Xbox Arcade be ok?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm not clued up on consoles (being a PC gamer *ducks*)

Yeah man, FROM AMAZON Arcades are are £150 nowadays but you may be better of getting a 60gb xbox 360 premiuim for £189

so for an extra £40 you get 60gb's of space (which will allow you to download fifa 09 demo :-pp

but you choice man, if you are buying it JUST for FIFA then arcade may be better for you

Im worryed about the game goals, I mean the Barcelona Arsenal video the goal the header that hit the bar then the rebound into the goals Ive seen that exact same goal like 5 times in different videos to date... headers seem to still be coded

Just saw FIFA09 being played on a portuguese tv show, United vs City. They did the "let the ball go through the legs" move a few times, I got the feeling it's done the same way as in PES.

It was nothing special, but if I find a video of the show, I'll post it here. :)

Every MM is daytime STILL? Lineups not changing? Lazy!

:TD:

EA's lazyness to rectify simple issue's is "mindboggoingley" frustrating.

As Jamezinho mentioned a simple option to assign the team's home stadium, would be absolutley perfect.

Yet EA can spend time on silly issues such as defining a players ankle tape colour!

Cant see how anyone can call EA lazy after all the effort and changes they have put into the AI and Gameplay of Fifa 09

No......lazy and EA just don't fit.

I still think the night time lighting on PES is miles better than FIFA.It's a small issue but I am struggling to find how the guys can keep fucking this up.

No......lazy and EA just don't fit.

I still think the night time lighting on PES is miles better than FIFA.It's a small issue but I am struggling to find how the guys can keep fucking this up.

The same as been asked a thousand times about Seabass and is team of jokers.

The problem there is they have fucked the whole thing up, and this year he is in for a very big shock.

Wow! i came on here tonight not really expecting to see much in the way of news but have just read that interview regarding the 10v10 and just watched that Fifa09 video and my appetite has just been truley sodden. Looks like the EvoWeb clan team will be up and running. Upto 50 players in 1 club, good stuff. And that video showed some awesome features. Cant wait til thursday. i have the whole day off which is just aswell as it will more than likely take a whole day to download. Im off to bed, have early start. Night all!!!

Just posted the following on the internal EA forums in a thread about manager mode........

Fifa 08 FAQ: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/fifa-08-next-gen/239046-update-06-09-fifa-08-faq.html

Will FA Cup games go to a replay if the game is drawn?
Unfortunately not. This is not a supported structure at this time but it is something we’re looking forward to implementing for the next iteration of FIFA.

Let me guess, it's not in?

Can keepers get sent off or injured this year?
Unfortunately we weren’t able to add this feature into the game this year but it’s on the list for next year.

50% there I believe? Keepers can be sent off but not injured, right? Let's hope we're not forced to name a keeper as one of the subs......

Will crucial games (cup-finals for example) be any different from other games?
Unfortunately not this year.

Nor this year.

Will it be possible to manage international teams? Unfortunately not this year.

Nor this year.

Will the MLS be structured realistically (two conferences and play-offs)?
Unfortunately not. This is not a supported structure at this time but it is something we’re looking forward to implementing for the next iteration of FIFA.

Not this year either.

Will the SPL be structured realistically (after 33 games, the top and bottom 6 “split”)?

Not this year either.

Will the Dutch leagues be structured realistically (with play-offs)?

Not this year either.

Lots of empty promises to fans of manager mode. And now we learn still no night midweek matches, still no AI squad rotation to combat fatigue, so again we will play matches against players at 10% fitness who can run around the pitch for 90 minutes as if they're fully fit :(

If you ever get a chance of asking the EA people why they only allow one player per team to jump up to head a ball, please do Placebo. It would be interesting to know if they plan to remove this script or if we should expect this unrealistic behaviour in years to come. Even old PES let many players jump and try to head the ball.

You mean players on your own team? You want the player under your control to jump for a header and other players in your team controlled by the AI to jump for the same ball at the same time? Wouldn't that get in the way? With Fifa09's new collision system I'd be seriously pissed off if the opponent scores because as I jumped up for a header one of my teammates under AI control jumped for the same ball and knocked me out of the way!

I c what evacuate is saying...99% of the time when u cross a ball only one player per team will jump to header while in real life usually its a lot more players, specially if the box is crowded.

Cant see how anyone can call EA lazy after all the effort and changes they have put into the AI and Gameplay of Fifa 09

Easily, when it is something so simple to produce.

I think you have took the word out of context, therefore I shall say EA have been a tad sloppy instead, in terms of leaving out something that has been brought to their attention a lot since the release of 08.

I c what evacuate is saying...99% of the time when u cross a ball only one player per team will jump to header while in real life usually its a lot more players, specially if the box is crowded.

the thing with fifa atleast for me it always locks on the player who is going to win/lose the ball everytime so its fine by me...

Sort of. If you play BAP or CYC you'll see what I mean easier. Because if you're trying to head a ball, that you're in perfect positions for, but for some reason another player in your team is locked on to the ball you can't head the ball. It will result in you yelling to the other player to head the ball.

But it's not only in BAP this ruins the game for me. It's the same if you're defending a corner in normal singleplayer and you stand in front of an attacker and try to head the ball away. Often the game will lock the ball to your teammate that is behind the attacker, even if you could head it. And because you don't have time to change player and the fact that in FIFA you teammates doesn't do actions (head, clear the ball and so on) it will result in only the attacker trying to head the ball.

It's the same if there is a cut back and the player you are controlling just can't reach the ball. Even if there is another defender that could take the ball he wont to it because you were locked on to the ball, and only when the "lock on" changes to him, he can try to take the ball.

I hope that made sense. This was never a problem in PES because first off all there is no restriction in PES on how many people can try to attack the ball. And secondly in PES your own team AI will try to head/reach the ball even if you're not controlling them and are locked to the ball with your own player. That is if they are so close to the ball that they CAN reach it.

Last edited:

the thing with fifa atleast for me it always locks on the player who is going to win/lose the ball everytime so its fine by me...

The problem is when you have a crap defender meeting someone like Toni you will lose every challenge. But if more defenders attacked the ball you would have bigger chance of winning the header/push Toni/get Toni's header in your face when jumping up, stopping the ball.

With this new physics system I get the feeling that the Kollers and Tonis will be unstoppable in the air. It was already hard in 08/Euro without them being strong. If you ever play against Serbia in Euro 08 you know what I mean. They have a mediocre team but one of the attackers win every header, it's pretty much impossible to defend against. I guess it's also because every cross from the AI or people playing on semi/auto will reach the player in the box.

Last edited:

Yeah, and Placebo is saying that EA said things that would be included for FIFA08, aren't even included in FIFA09! In terms of manager mode they are mugging us right off.

I didn't really expect anything else, to be honest.

It seems that online is the be-all and end-all for developers at the moment, which is very much to the detriment of the single player game in this case. I enjoy online gaming as much as the next man, but any game should be based around a deep and solid single player mode as a priority. I wouldn't say EA have been lazy as such - the amount of work they've put into the gameplay is clear for all to see - but it's frustrating that such simple issues in the Manager Mode are not addressed (issues that should be easy to correct for a company of EA's stature).

Also, the editor needs to be greatly expanded as well, partly because Fifa is not a fully licensed game, but more so because the editing aspect is what helped make PES such a cult game. I just feel some of the basics are being neglected in favour of flashy online modes.

Just saw FIFA09 being played on a portuguese tv show, United vs City. They did the "let the ball go through the legs" move a few times, I got the feeling it's done the same way as in PES.

It was nothing special, but if I find a video of the show, I'll post it here. :)

Curto Circuito :-pp

It was pretty cool by the way

there are a few little things with manager mode that would have taken an afternoon to fix - that would have made such a big difference. Like the playoffs.

I think they could have easily sorted the little things out - they just didn't want to.

But they have added alot to this game so it can get overlooked - just so frustrating when you know they could have done it and they didn't.

Does Shopto.net have a good record for delivering early?

I've decided to pre-order with them for the first time. I usually use play.com but just recently their delivery times have got longer and longer.

Does Shopto.net have a good record for delivering early?

I've decided to pre-order with them for the first time. I usually use play.com but just recently their delivery times have got longer and longer.
Every time I have ordered with ShopTo they have been quick, I haven't preordered anything from them before though.

I agree about Play.com getting worse - they used to have great service but as you said, their deliveries get later and later as well as them sending me the wrong game a couple of times :((.

Every time I have ordered with ShopTo they have been quick, I haven't preordered anything from them before though.

I agree about Play.com getting worse - they used to have great service but as you said, their deliveries get later and later as well as them sending me the wrong game a couple of times :((.

Play.com has become a victim of it's own success. They've become a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. Their delivery times were brilliant when all they offered was DVDs, games and CDs.

The more I think about it, the more I hate this 'same attributes' feature in club mode. So every player is exactly the same and has no individuality? What's the point of choosing a specific player if they don't have their own strengths and weaknesses?

Surely a better way of doing it would've just been to award more league points if you beat a better team, rating wise?

Back
Top Bottom