FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

If we continue to post enough Im sure we will be able to manipulate SB into saying the following:

This year's next gen versions still seem very much based on the PS2 version of the game. Will we see a big overhaul in graphics and game engine over the next couple of years in the next gen versions?

Seabass: Well I can already promise you that next year's version of PES will have a lot more new nets as you would expect because we're already working on these new nets right now. With the release of the PS3 we now have all the basic nets of the next gen at a starting stage finally. Now I don't have to worry about creating the basic nets for the next gen versions for next year, meaning I have already been able to start working on new nets. Now I'm able to promise new nets and a complete overhaul in every aspect of the nets.

We haven't seen many changes in PES's game modes for a while - are you planning new game modes for next year's version?

Seabass: For the game modes I understand that we haven't added many new nets which is quite problematic for us, even within the team. But actually all the new nets which we are going to put in the game for next season are already finished. Obviously I'd like to be able to tell you what these are, but you'll understand I can't tell you about the new nets for next season, when we haven't even released PES 2009 yet!
But it's not just the new nets which are important, but changes to the breezeblocks are even more crucial, so I don't want to forget about that aspect as well.

judging by these videos players don't seem to have any inertia even when they're running at max speed, which is just mind-boggling and makes the graphics fall into a disappointing uncanny-valley'ish realm; they can just switch direction, swirl, stop or turn back pretty much instantly and with no repercussions whatsoever on their balance and ball control which shouldn't be allowed if they're aiming at keeping our disbelief effectively suspended. This is something that has always bugged me in sport "simulations" such as NBA Live, FIFA and the likes and what ultimately made games like J League Winning Eleven 9 Asia Championship and JWE6 the superior choices at the time they were released, at least for me.

Aside from that everything looks in place (besides faces 3D modeling but that's a given), I wonder why they haven't been able to get the inertia thing right yet considering they've been developing football inspired games for more than a decade.

you do realise that is what caused the delay in fifa 08 right? they just spent all their time taking that stuff out due to everyone complaining. lol

the whole inertia thing would work if the pitches were bigger. the space is far too tight to run and stop, then pull a trick or turn.

Was that Vid against CPU or Human? if it was CPU then I gotta say they played some good football in that video.

Plus I see misplaced passes.. :)

Last edited:

That guy actually makes the game look bad. He made it look so boring. I was thinking to myself that this kind of person must hate the new FIFA and love PES.

kobashi he was playing against the cpu, probably semi pro or lower because the cpu was really bad and so was the player.

That guy actually makes the game look bad. He made it look so boring. I was thinking to myself that this kind of person must hate the new FIFA and love PES.

He was terrible.

There are two instances in the Italy vs Argentina clip (both in the first 30 seconds) that concern me; where a ball is not going to the player with the cursor above his head - instead, it's going right to the feet of a cpu controlled teammate, yet they just stand there like lemons. It happened in FIFA 08 as well.

In the video the guy confirm that we will have the option to choose the speed of the game!!!! Thats brilliant!!!!

im never again going watch fifa 09 gameplay videos because the people that play are so fucking ass

Great vid again, very impressive. Guy playing as Italy was a bit of a dick though...yeh let's get from within shooting distance every time then pass to a defender, because that's what people want to see on a recording!

Really need to try this for myself now. Any of you guys that moved from PES to FIFA have any tips? Like I know it will take a bit of patience, is it best to dive straight into full manual?

I tried full manual with 08 but it was just too much/hard. I think it was also due to the reaction speeds but I found it hard just to pass the ball about in an accepted manner. A lot in here think its the way to play and to have full control, but for me the challenge should be the AI / opposition, not your own lack of control. Although one of the main reasons Im really looking forward to 09 (having enjoyed both 08 and euro) is the comeback of the d-pad control. Played fifa05 (poor game, but 07 kept locking up) on the ps2 at a mates the other week and being able to use the d-pad again made me feel in so much more control. Im a bit of a dinosaur in that regard so for me having assisted makes the game mroe playable and enjoyable. Ive also always played pes with d-pad.

So with that I went assisted passing, assisted/semi shooting, semi crossing, assisted throughball and manuel long ball.

That allowed me to play with the speed I wanted and to help me with my analog handicap :D

But probably more then the controls is how you play the game. One bsic difference Ive noticed was that in PES you determine what you teammates do, i.e. you pass/throughpass and they run towards/after the ball. In fifa its the other way around, you have to look for the runs your teammates make and then pass. That makes a huge difference.

chrisrocker if you want to play the game as you play PES you should play assisted. If you're up for a challenge and want a feeling of simulating real football you should go manual. If you do man up and play manual I would suggest you might go semi on normal passes to be able to hit quick and longer passes without the need to fill up a meter. This way you can use through balls for most of your passes and only use semi passes when you're under heavy pressure.

It takes time to master fully manual because we're used to just aim at the side and let the cpu do all the work for us. It's really rewarding when you get the hang of it though. Almost a feeling of total freedom.

1) Anyone got a video of Football Kingdoms nets?

2) How can you say using the d-pad gives you more control! :LOL: What actually happens is that the CPU does all the work for you and for me, takes any enjoyment out of passing / attacking.

If they would have worked on that Football Kingdom game then I reckon they would have had a PES and FIFA beater - some of the passes and goals look very realistic and the nets look real.

It's a shame there hasn't been and there won't be a sequel to it :((.

If they would have worked on that Football Kingdom game then I reckon they would have had a PES and FIFA beater - some of the passes and goals look very realistic and the nets look real.

I wouldn't say it would have been a FIFA beater, because it's very arcade like in its gameplay. Could probably have been better than PES though because the tempo is pretty much the same but as far as I understand they have some sort of free passing system that's not on rails like PES has.

The nets are so beautiful :CRY:

just watched that football kingdom video, wow! that really does look a good game. When was it out and who made it? Maybe the developers should think about making a new, next gen version. More competition can only have a positive effect.

Regards to that Multiplayer video from Leipzig: Why is it that Adrian Mutu never has the correct name? It was the same in Euro2008. Is it coz he is a druggie?
If Fiorentina was AI controlled, which i think it was, that was the best AI ive seen so far on all the videos shown. Not perfect by a long way but at least they 1)make mistakes, and 2) can be tackled, unlike on Euro2008 when even San Marino play like Brazil. There was a situation where the human controlling the Milan player had a chance to hit a volley, just inside the area and for some reason he passed it straight to a defender. Moron! When the ball sits nice for you like that, which is rare, you have to go for it. I scored a belter on Euro the other day. Outside of the area, just inside from the sideline, i chested the ball down past the defende and on the bounce hit a volley which swerved over the keeper and nestled in the top left corner. Cue the dancing round the living room. Wish i could show you proof but i was playing online and of course EA DONT LET YOU SAVE TO THE HDD, AAAGGGGHHH!!!! What a goal though! God i need Fifa09. Have 4 days off work from Thursday so will be able to get some good Fifa time in plus i booked the 3rd of October off work to play this bad boy.

So true, Football Kingdom was the 1st game where you could play long ball football effectivly

Football Kingdom was great. Some of its features such as 360 degree motion contro and net physics are still to be fully acheived with either football game this generation.

Back
Top Bottom