FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

and for me the most obvious thing was Ronaldinho and Rooney were not on the cover they always will be until their contracts run out!

judging by these videos players don't seem to have any inertia even when they're running at max speed, which is just mind-boggling and makes the graphics fall into a disappointing uncanny-valley'ish realm; they can just switch direction, swirl, stop or turn back pretty much instantly and with no repercussions whatsoever on their balance and ball control which shouldn't be allowed if they're aiming at keeping our disbelief effectively suspended. This is something that has always bugged me in sport "simulations" such as NBA Live, FIFA and the likes and what ultimately made games like J League Winning Eleven 9 Asia Championship and JWE6 the superior choices at the time they were released, at least for me.

Aside from that everything looks in place (besides faces 3D modeling but that's a given), I wonder why they haven't been able to get the inertia thing right yet considering they've been developing football inspired games for more than a decade.

Last edited:

judging by these videos players don't seem to have any inertia even when they're running at max speed, which is just mind-boggling and makes the graphics fall into a disappointing uncanny-valley'ish realm; they can just switch direction, swirl, stop or turn back pretty much instantly and with no repercussions whatsoever on their balance and ball control which shouldn't be allowed if they're aiming at keeping our disbelief effectively suspended. This is something that has always bugged me in sport "simulations" such as NBA Live, FIFA and the likes and what ultimately made games like J League Winning Eleven 9 Asia Championship and JWE6 the superior choices at the time they were released, at least for me.

Aside from that everything looks in place (besides faces 3D modeling but that's a given), I wonder why they haven't been able to get the inertia thing right yet considering they've been developing football inspired games for more than a decade.

Its a football game!!

Your asking for too much IMO.In effect what you want is the programmers and hardware to be able to calculate human biomechanics in real time.

Just stop and think about that for a moment....................

-The hardware is not powerful enough at the moment to be able to do this

-The programmers have limited time and budget to put something as complex as that together in a relatively short space of time.

-10 years has little to do with the dev cycle as PES & fIFA last gen have pretty much used the same calcs and animation across the PS2 for that time.

-I think it may well have an adverse effect on the fun factor, rather like the explanation as to why they do not include 360 degree movement, with players losing controls far too often.

Its just a step too far, there is no way they are at the stage to be able to implement such complex movement, where calculations are made in a split second dependant on the move implemented by the joypad, which is implemented as fast as proprioception in a human being.

Of course they could remove the cerebellum and plant it into a plastic box;))

In FIFA 08 the players don't just switch directions. Moving a player in 08 is like trying to navigate a big boat and it doesn't feel realistic at all to me. I think it's pretty good in Euro, it's only the response times that still are a little sluggish.

Are the different scoreboards available to us all or are the region specific so the German copy gets a scoreboard that sort of matches their own TV broadcast and the UK gets a sky sports lookalike one and so on?

The problem with them adding inertia as well would be response times would take a huge knock - if you're running and you wanted to change direction you'd press left then right and have to wait for them to slow down and then spin around.

Anyone know what features in Manager Mode will be improved?

I know EA have stated that they have not made any major changes, as they were focusing on general game-play. But does anyone know what changes there will be? if any at all?

Anyone know what features in Manager Mode will be improved?

I know EA have stated that they have not made any major changes, as they were focusing on general game-play. But does anyone know what changes there will be? if any at all?

I hope they have changed the transfer system.

I hate how you can buy any player for any team if you have the money.

Its a football game!!

Your asking for too much IMO.In effect what you want is the programmers and hardware to be able to calculate human biomechanics in real time.

Just stop and think about that for a moment....................

-The hardware is not powerful enough at the moment to be able to do this

-The programmers have limited time and budget to put something as complex as that together in a relatively short space of time.

-10 years has little to do with the dev cycle as PES & fIFA last gen have pretty much used the same calcs and animation across the PS2 for that time.

-I think it may well have an adverse effect on the fun factor, rather like the explanation as to why they do not include 360 degree movement, with players losing controls far too often.

Its just a step too far, there is no way they are at the stage to be able to implement such complex movement, where calculations are made in a split second dependant on the move implemented by the joypad, which is implemented as fast as proprioception in a human being.

Of course they could remove the cerebellum and plant it into a plastic box;))

Inertia was handled just fine in those 2 PS2 games mentioned above...

When you started running very fast the ball would get pushed progressively further away from your feet as your speed increased (up to a point, of course, giving your adversaries a chance to get it off you with a perfectly timed tackle or contrast) whilst switching direction, let alone turning back, would get increasingly harder and could require pretty large portions of field especially if you were cruising at max speed.

Needless to say that controlling both ball and players in these games was extremely challenging and very rewarding and dribbling could get done only with perfect timing and skill, as opposed to these special move-happy, so called "simulations" characterized by dumbed down controls and sketchy physics software houses are handing out these days and no, I don't think hardware is a limiting factor in this instance.

Last edited:

Haven't played FIFA for many years but I'm more and more impressed with every video I see. Chelsea/Arsenal game, even though the player was a complete nub, was enough to make me believe that this year could be the turning point and the final nail in the coffin for PES. Just hope it plays as well as it looks on screen and I'll certainly be trying the demo next week if it arrives.

My biggest gripe is still the nets, why do the posts have that shadow behind them, looks wrong, and the animation is a bit better but not realistic at all, it doesn't ripple correctly and as it returns to it's default state it does so too quickly making it look very fake.

Imagine how great different modes would be if they all had different teams assigned to it. So it would be like an internal battle in the whole FIFA team to make the best and most liked mode.

It feels like no one is working on MM at the moment.

chriscrocker look at the nets Chelsea have, they pretty much behave like the ones in FIFA, they are very tight. So it's not unrealistic to me, but that doesn't mean you can't prefer loose style nets.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1521440/
http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/1521468/

Last edited:

Well that is true but the point about the animation not being smooth enough I think is still a problem. For example if you look at the chelsea nets, even though the main net reaction which you can see from a distance is very short, there is a slower secondary ripple effect as the net loses it's energy and returns to default state.

I am slightly compulsive about that and it ruins the feeling of scoring somewhat. I think I could live with that small problem though if the game is high quality. Also, at least they have listened and made improvements where as Konami came out and said the nets would have a more "european feel" which turned out to be a load of bollocks.

Last edited:

Well that is true but the point about the animation not being smooth enough I think is still a problem. For example if you look at the chelsea nets, even though the main net reaction which you can see from a distance is very short, there is a slower secondary ripple effect as the net loses it's energy and returns to default state.

After examining the nets on Drogba's second goal, I see exactly what you mean. The net abruptly goes back to default where the ball hits instead of a more slower reaction. It's very minor and hardly unnoticable. Don't worry, besides, this might just be on certain stadiums/nets only.

EA dramatically improved the nets in my opinion. Having them go back and tweak them again might lead to a screw up that will leave us net freaks very unsatisfied.

Relax mate, the nets are much improved and fine the way they are.

;-)

Yes I agree, as I said if the game is as good as it seems it could be, then these nets are fine and at least they are the right shape!!!

After examining the nets on Drogba's second goal, I see exactly what you mean. The net abruptly goes back to default where the ball hits instead of a more slower reaction. It's very minor and hardly unnoticable. Don't worry, besides, this might just be on certain stadiums/nets only.

EA dramatically improved the nets in my opinion. Having them go back and tweak them again might lead to a screw up that will leave us net freaks very unsatisfied.

Relax mate, the nets are much improved and fine the way they are.

;-)

Agreed

For the first time In FIFA's history the actual sides of the nets move realistically:DD

It gives the impression that the ball is now not hitting a heavy duty carpet covered in wall paper paste. the ball behaves at it should when you hit the net also so the whole thing is vastly improved on 08 & Euro 08.:SMOKIN:

I think the nets look decent in Fifa09. Ok, maybe they return to their original shape a little too quickly, and they could be a bit looser, but it's an improvement on last year.

Also, from the recent clips I've seen I have to say I'm impressed with the player faces (Gallas and Terry look fantastic). Dare I say it, but in some instances the faces look better than in PES? They are full 3D which gives them a more real look in my opinion, although they are not brilliant across the board.

I still think Football Kingdom's nets are better but FIFA 09's are not that bad now.

12 posts in a row about nets.

If EA released a game called "net physics 2009", consisting of only a net and a ball, maybe some people here would buy it instead of buying Fifa 09. :)

just kidding

I think the nets on FIFA 09 look superb, not perfect but it is the best net in FIFA's history :|

also LOOKS better then PES09's nets, on PES09 the design is just awful

Back
Top Bottom