FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

I think thats probably one of the faults of the game I can think of, The celebration feature is a good idea IMO but has been poorly put together, for example Drogba doing the robot isnt something realistic etc, I would like they added actual commands for celebrations and even "signature" celebrations for some (Nani flip, Keane tumble) but my main point was were when you actually play football and you score a goal depending on the situation you would celebrate in different ways for example if I score the 4th goal in our 4-0 win at home i wont celebrate to much, but if I score a last minute goal i would then have a more exciting spontanious celebration with my team mates for example, others would be for a away day at Anfield for example your 2-1 down and the Anfield crowd is rocking and you smash in a 30 yard strike the perfect celebration would be the ":SHHH:SHHH" while taunting the home fans. I think EA need to make commands for situations so you now which command to choose for each type of goal you score to make it feel genuine and realistic.

Last edited:

I think thats probably one of the faults of the game I can think of, The celebration feature is a good idea IMO but has been poorly put together, for example Drogba doing the robot isnt something realistic etc, I would like they added actual commands for celebrations and even "signature" celebrations for some (Nani flip, Keane tumble) but my main point was were when you actually play football and you score a goal depending on the situation you would celebrate in different ways for example if I score the 4th goal in our 4-0 win at home i wont celebrate to much, but if I score a last minute goal i would then have a more exciting spontanious celebration with my team mates for example, others would be for a away day at Anfield for example your 2-1 down and the Anfield crowd is rocking and you smash in a 30 yard strike the perfect celebration would be the ":SHHH:SHHH" while taunting the home fans. I think EA need to make commands for situations so you now which command to choose for each type of goal you score to make it feel genuine and realistic.

indeed :-!

i agree with that. but you can do the "Shhh" still on the run. i like doing that one most :lol:

They definately need more situation celebrations. Scoring a winner in the last minute for example. Totally agree with YoungGun

Played the AI (Legendary) for the first time in a few weeks, after playing online for the past couple months.

It feels good to actually have a proper match, where the opposition (AI) actually TRY to play football. Rather than the "Ronaldo Whore" style 90% people use online. Run, run, run, run, cut-backs, closing down with 3 players at once, cheating etc...

I think i might stick to offline on 2009. I know the AI cheat every now and then, but so do these f**kers online. Cut-back goals are cheats imo, as is holding down square/X to get 3+ players to quickly close you down.

the only thing i consider cheating in online matches is when a player quits seconds before the match ends. but what you mentioned to me are different types of teqniques

yeah indeed.

PES fans will prefer pes2009

those who preffered fifa 08 will prefer fifa 09!

simple as that really nothing to really make you switch imo!

pesfans are too stubborn :P they wouldn't change if fifa 09 was exactly like pes 2009 with fifa graphics and commentarry etc and
layout :P

thats not really true because i was a pes fanboy until they came out with pes next-gen and had no problem admitting that fifa 08 was way better than pes2008. i did not even get pes2008. so now i just support the better game but only after playing it

thats not really true because i was a pes fanboy until they came out with pes next-gen and had no problem admitting that fifa 08 was way better than pes2008. i did not even get pes2008. so now i just support the better game but only after playing it

I think what he's suggesting is that if someone is still a PES fanboy after PES2008 then absolutely nothing is going to shift them. If PES2009 consisted of a pong type game complete with farting sounds whenever the ball is 'kicked' then they'd still claim that it was more 'fun' than FIFA with it's unresponsive controls and licensed kits which 'aren't as important as gameplay'.

not only silly but annoying and stupid looking. worst new feature of the next gen fifa series so far.

They should just make it optional instead of forcing their gimmicky shite onto everyone. It killed my flow in Euro 08 when I scored and then had to move someone around on the pitch waving his arms then I skip it and then I'd still be shown a canned celebration animation - what's the point of that?

And they haven't even added anything to it for 09 - they've just lazily copy/pasted the coding across.

Next year they'll add in pre kick off control where you can run around the pitch kicking the ball at the fans, circle the referee during the coin toss and move into line for international matches during the national anthems. After the match control will then be added the following year where you can run over to other players to swap shirts and shake hands with them.

Speaking of pre kickoff control, anyone remember the coin toss in iss/iss98? I found that a worthwhile element actually, especially now that we have visible away fans. It could be fun online if you play liverpool and choose to play the 2nd half towards the kop. Or that away/home crowds have different levels of noise depending on which way you are playing. And it breaks up the constantly kicking off first which makes teh games more generic imo, especially when its at the les artes for the 28th time that season.

Just a small element.

I would like Younggun's celebrations aswell, but then just make them contextual with the d-pad/analog tactics changing to this after scoring. Like he said winning 3-0 and scoring another would give a muted celebration, unless its a hatrick. While scoring an injurytime winner could have you running towards the bench and stuff like that. The could even make it slightly more random instead of the "do the robot" / do a flip" as it is now. Just assign "moods" to each direction; Agressive/Calm/Arrogant/Team/Signature/etc. Depending when the goal was scored (like the above examples) or if playing a "rival" it would do a "Random celebration" to coincide with the choosen direction/mood.

Last edited:

they just need to copy pro evo2008's celo's.

the ones from PES2008 are perfect.

and why do they insist on having every cut scene film from below the player? are they trying to catch a glimpse of their nobs? that's the weirdest thing about fifas i swear..

Id like to hear a different goal chant from the home fans and the away fans. At the minute if you score a goal away from home, you can hear a pin drop.

Instead it should be a feint (but noticeable) "yeaaaaaaah"

After that we should hear the away team chanting, whilst the home fans are more quiet.

Obviously this would all depend on the scoreline etc. but it could work.

Something small but it would be a welcome addition, to create more atmosphere.

Last edited:

Id like to hear a different goal chant from the home fans and the away fans. At the minute if you score a goal away from home, you can hear a pin drop.

Instead it should be a feint (but noticeable) "yeaaaaaaah"

After that we should hear the away team chanting, whilst the home fans are more quiet.

Obviously this would all depend on the scoreline etc. but it could work.

Something small but it would be a welcome addition, to create more atmosphere.

Wasn't that already in Fifa08? I seem to remember a quieter cheer when you score away from home, maybe it needs to be made a smidge more subtle though.......

I'd like to see a dynamic crowd that can react to the game as it happens.
Booing players who have injured one of their team or done a few too many nasty tackles. Quick example - Ferdinand hacks down Torres in the first 10 minutes of the match... for the rest of that game the liverpool fans would boo the crap out of him every time he has the ball.

I don't think it would be too hard to add - just add a simple positive or negative rating for each player that changed depending on what they do during the game.

not only silly but annoying and stupid looking. worst new feature of the next gen fifa series so far.

I totally agree. I'm a dynamic camera fan and it was superb in FIFA 08. In EURO 2008 with the celebration mode there were some bugs after score a goal. That is so annoying! In FIFA 09 that bug is fixed, but the camera still turns when hitting the net. It's painfull for me :((

I'd like to see a dynamic crowd that can react to the game as it happens.
Booing players who have injured one of their team or done a few too many nasty tackles. Quick example - Ferdinand hacks down Torres in the first 10 minutes of the match... for the rest of that game the liverpool fans would boo the crap out of him every time he has the ball.

I don't think it would be too hard to add - just add a simple positive or negative rating for each player that changed depending on what they do during the game.

I'd much prefer time was spent on audio aspects like this as opposed to commentary, so much more atmosphere could be generated with decent quality crowd audio that reacts realistically to events on the pitch.

Crowd noises are also more easily blended to sound organic unlike commentary, which can jar if the wrong intonation or trigger is used.

That celebrations thing is swinging me towards PES.

That's how much I hate the feature.

LOL I wouldn't go that far, but I do hope that after the 10th time of pressing LB+RB immediately after I score the game will get the message that I want the user celebrations turning off permanently :)

one feature i would like is a seamless footy match where say if the ball goes out of play, instead of the screen going blank and all of a sudden all the players are in position to receive the ball from a throw in, why not have an animation where the player gets the ball from the croud or from the ball boy and then imedietly give u the option to do a quick throw in to keep the pace of the game the same?

NBA games have a seamless game of basketball with hardly any pauses during play and it makes the match more intense

one feature i would like is a seamless footy match where say if the ball goes out of play, instead of the screen going blank and all of a sudden all the players are in position to receive the ball from a throw in, why not have an animation where the player gets the ball from the croud or from the ball boy and then imedietly give u the option to do a quick throw in to keep the pace of the game the same?

NBA games have a seamless game of basketball with hardly any pauses during play and it makes the match more intense

that would be gd nothing annoys me more than a break away and then your fouled and if it just went in real time I could take a quick free kick... and still be a threat to my opponent! resetting every players position is just BS

Its true - it would add alot to the game. Hopefully it will be in future ones.

They definately need more situation celebrations. Scoring a winner in the last minute for example. Totally agree with YoungGun

Yeah man I agree. If you score in the last minute in a cup final the scorer should be able to fire lightning from his hand while fireworks shoot out across the stadium. Then by rotating the right analog stick you can make a young Chinese girl sing the club anthem but it will all be fake ala Beijing 2008. ;)

few questions for anyone who can answer, would be appreciated..

i cant remember of the top of my head if you can do quick free kicks in fifa 08, or also will this be possible in 09, like basically similar to what you can do in pro evo.

and the one im desperate to have answered, when it says that you can play 2v2 online, is this 2 people on the same console, or can you play with a mate who is miles away, so your both on the same team against 2 other people in the same situation?

Back
Top Bottom