FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

so maybe you guys've heard bout this but apparently the PES2009 demo is coming on the same day as FIFA09? Man, comparisons're gonna run amok in these parts

I thought that would be available in the same week of the full release.

Just been playing the nba liva 09 demo and say they have something called ''online team play clubs''

ranked be a pro matches so maybe there could be ranked be a pro games afterall with organised games :) for fifa 09! clutching at straws but I keep hoping

surely we are close enough for release to get the hype train going in regard of features, holding back on great features this late in the day when the release is only a month away would be silly i think.

i would be very, very suprised if there are anymore treats in fifa 09

i have to say fifa 09 without either of these features is easily good enough as an upgrade from fifa 08

i wouldn't be suprised if these or similar features are in place and are being worked on, just not for fifa 09

they need to hold back something for future releases i guess

just watching the vids on my tele.

the nets are sick and the new goalie and shooting animations are great.

there's a corner and the header misses by inches. looks so good.

also i noticed the goalies are more adept at saving previously cheap goals. (near post).

at the end you can hear sam sparro's Black & Gold. and man have they improved the nets!! the replays at the end (benzema's goal) highlights this!

watching the chelsea man utd vid now... lol @ gallas and terry arguing and lol @ the ref checking the nets. a dig @ the fans? ;)

nice camera angle for displaying the new slimmer player models btw.

btw there's a freekick early on and i see some weird tactics thing (block) being moved above players names... i'm betting it has something to do with custom tactics.

edit #879123: check 6:min 30 secs for an awesome hanging header in the chelsea game.

Last edited:

Well PES never hold back anything, they released the same game after PES 3 and still made big bucks.

It's as easy as time limits. They have less than a year to add new stuff and even if some things seems simple, they take a long time to create and to eliminate all possible bugs.

I don't know but I didn't really like the new vids. i think the attacking pace is way too slow, i mean its nice you can build up your attack slowly but it seems to me that it's still the same pace as you get closer to the goal, and i think this really will decrease the level of excitement when scoring a goal. It almost seems like the player aren't running at their full potential and concentration. There wer also a lot of chances created by the attackers intercepting a dumb ball from the defence.

i dunno, i really liked all the other vids

yes because he was playing the cpu.... when its player vs player and half decent players you won't see defenders standing still like they have just been frozen for life

yes because he was playing the cpu.... when its player vs player and half decent players you won't see defenders standing still like they have just been frozen for life

Thats really scared me, cause i play 90% of the time against the cpu.

Exactly, it was reported from GC that Amateur/SemiPro have been dumbed down even more to allow the noobs more chance to get into the game.

Played the AI (Legendary) for the first time in a few weeks, after playing online for the past couple months.

It feels good to actually have a proper match, where the opposition (AI) actually TRY to play football. Rather than the "Ronaldo Whore" style 90% people use online. Run, run, run, run, cut-backs, closing down with 3 players at once, cheating etc...

I think i might stick to offline on 2009. I know the AI cheat every now and then, but so do these f**kers online. Cut-back goals are cheats imo, as is holding down square/X to get 3+ players to quickly close you down.

Exactly, it was reported from GC that Amateur/SemiPro have been dumbed down even more to allow the noobs more chance to get into the game.

oh crap. i liked professional for just tooling about :(

looks like i'll be on world class now.

Well PES never hold back anything, they released the same game after PES 3 and still made big bucks.

It's as easy as time limits. They have less than a year to add new stuff and even if some things seems simple, they take a long time to create and to eliminate all possible bugs.

Lol, you don't know what you are talking about, PES3, PES4, PES5, PES6 and even PES2008 were totally different games regarding gameplay. IF you want to critisize a game, do it good, say the gameplay isn't good, that the graphics don't look good, but don't say things that arent' true.

It looked great to me, it was just played on a shit difficulty by shit players.

The ball seems to be much more free, you can teel that by the way pinged passes from short distance tend to bounce off players who try and control it.

Nets are just fantastic, you can see they are reactive all around the goal now rather than just the back and a swinging animation from side to side.

Looks great

I agree. Finally the physics are right! They now can add different shapes of nets for FIFA 10 (hopefully) Gameplay looks really awesome! You can see the difference comparing to EURO 2008 and that was very important for me. Also the camera-bug on dynamic camera is fixed. Thank you EA!

Lol, you don't know what you are talking about, PES3, PES4, PES5, PES6 and even PES2008 were totally different games regarding gameplay. IF you want to critisize a game, do it good, say the gameplay isn't good, that the graphics don't look good, but don't say things that arent' true.

Maybe you should take a look at what I was replying at. Sure gameplay was tweaked a little from version to version but basically no new features were added. THIS was the point of my post, but I'm not expecting a fanboy as yourself to understand this. :DOH:

No, they were not totally different...

There were just a few little changes to things like responsiveness, physics, animations, game speed and so on.
That's not "totally different", that would be like rewriting the whole game from scratch, which PES has not done since PES3 (or before, as the PS1 games still play very similarly to the new ones).

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe you should take a look at what I was replying at. Sure gameplay was tweaked a little from version to version but basically no new features were added. THIS was the point of my post, but I'm not expecting a fanboy as yourself to understand this. :DOH:

Well, you have been critising PES for a while now, and you're calling me a fanboy, that's funny. Especially when you consider that I own all copys of PES and FIFA since FIFA 98'. What's more funny is that EA hasn't done much good with their FIFA games until FIFA 2008. You even haven't played FIFA 2009 or PES2009, how can you even suggest one is better than another? Please wait till both games are available and then judge.

(Yea, you will probably now you say to me that you haven't said any of the things I think you said, but well, we have different opinions about that then)

No, they were not totally different...

There were just a few little changes to things like responsiveness, physics, animations, game speed and so on.
That's not "totally different", that would be like rewriting the whole game from scratch, which PES has not done since PES3 (or before, as the PS1 games still play very similarly to the new ones).

Ok, I agree, but I was referring more to the fact they just play differently, it's not that if you are very good at PES4 you wouldn't need to relearn how to play the game, you still needed to do that which indicates the gameplay is different.

What I like alot is that they've added the 2-foot feint to the analog stick. That and the Drop Shoulder variations that were in PES5/6 etc were a big part of the gameplay, since the moves are not really moves that belong on the trick stick because of their nature, being a body feint and a quick ball shuffle.

For me the only really nice feature in PES2008 is the R2 dribbling system, which is very realistic in the way the player moves the ball with his feet when you change directions and such. You can do little shimmies and such with a natural flow.

I hope FIFA in the future, besides the 2-foot feint, also adds a drop-shoulder move executed similarly to in PES (where you just move the analog stick back and forth quickly to simulate the player starting to change direction but then moves in the other direction instead).

Similarly I would like it if they treated LT, apart from activating the trick stick, as a "dribble mode" like in PES2008. THat way if you hold Lt and move 90 degrees sideways, the player would automatically perform for example the sole drag to the side. That move is so easy to perform it doesn't really warrant a trick stick entry. Also it isn't really a trick per se, it is just moving the ball in a different manner, sidestepping rather than turning.

I would really like to see the team players approach the goal scorer and celebrate with him by jumping on top of him or something. I don't like how they just stand there. Also, the headers in all this vids still don't convince me. I hope that you actually feel the power of the headers as you do in PES. Oh well, everything else looks good though.

just watched the french video. Looks very sweet. That bit with Terry and Gallas in the tunnel, Terry looks amazing. Some nice footage of the custom tactic screens.

I would really like to see the team players approach the goal scorer and celebrate with him by jumping on top of him or something. I don't like how they just stand there. Also, the headers in all this vids still don't convince me. I hope that you actually feel the power of the headers as you do in PES. Oh well, everything else looks good though.

Right. The celebrations look really poor. There's no excitemen to them. EA needs to do away with the cutscenes and interactive celebrations and just have the guys mob each other after a score or pump their fists to the crowd...just something more exciting.

It looked great to me, it was just played on a shit difficulty by shit players.

The ball seems to be much more free, you can teel that by the way pinged passes from short distance tend to bounce off players who try and control it.

Nets are just fantastic, you can see they are reactive all around the goal now rather than just the back and a swinging animation from side to side.

Looks great

hehe yeh the nets are definitely much improved and a welcome edition. i like how the ball comes out and settles realistically on hard shots. no ones has tried the finesse shot yet though. would like to see that.

check out the crossing animation too. there's new ones! they pull right back and follow through with effort. looks quality.

(just noticing all the little details cause i'm watching it on my HDtv. hah

hehe yeh the nets are definitely much improved and a welcome edition. i like how the ball comes out and settles realistically on hard shots. no ones has tried the finesse shot yet though. would like to see that.

check out the crossing animation too. there's new ones! they pull right back and follow through with effort. looks quality.

(just noticing all the little details cause i'm watching it on my HDtv. hah

Yes, finally the Nets are improved. They look beautiful!

And that Dynamic cam in the Chelsey vs Arsenal cam is also beautiful. I hope you can adjust it to pull it back a little more. That Drogba run and finish was very lifelike, and ofcourse, the realistic net animation together with the Cam angle and crowd behind the goal just made it look like a real match on TV.

Very nice!

I see everyone is going crazy due to pro evo getting th CL license with Arsenal being licensed in that mode.

come again? that dont make any sense. arsenal licence only if you play CL mode? so arsenal aint licenced when playing master league, online, and exibition mode

CL teams are licensed within the mode. So Arsenal become North London again when not playing the CL. Same for the other teams

That is so piss poor..but oh well, at least you will have all CL licensed teams.

Thank goodness we have an alternative with great gameplay and fully licensed clubs this year.

One question, so when you speed up Fifa 09 with the sliders, does this also speed up the animations of the players in-game?

The reason I ask this is because in that Chelsey/Arsenal vid, I noticed some animations such as trapping the ball, heading, etc..look very sluggish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom