FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Smacks of bitterness personally. As Jamezinho said, PES was praised for its realism, and now FIFA is more realistic, realism isn't good enough? :ROLL:

These people are paid to just write pages about any game that is chosen for them to review - they aren't writing these things out of their passion for football (which they obviously don't have), they are just writing it up for a living.

However, if someone here was to write a review it would be out of their own will and their comments would reflect their passion for football - take CB's in-depth review of FM Live for example.

I would take any review from a major mag/site with a pinch of salt nowadays, some games get overrated (PES, GTA etc) while others get underrated (FIFA, Top Spin 3 etc.).

The whole idea of sports games is to be as realistic as possible aint it?

Some of the reviewers these days are absolutely clueless

There's a stutter when playing EURO 2008... When the ball crosses the line and it switches to celebration mode. All my hope is that this is sorted out, otherwise it's bollocks :(

One thing I hope is fixed in 09 is when playing Euro 08 CYC, if you pass a forward with a through ball he will always first fake a shot before trying to score. It's a really weird bug and I'm not making this up, since Euro 08 was releases CYC is the only mode I have played. And I've played it a lot. Pretty annoying bug because often the keeper than get close enough to take the ball. If you pass a normal pass the forward wont make a fake shot. Really weird.

What's the betting Fifa09 get's all round 8/10's, PES2009 gets all round 9/10's?
I'll take that bet.

The reviewers I see reviewing games are gamers who have played PES for years and never given FIFA more than five minutes. The one good review I saw (this month's OPM FIFA 09 review) still had a blotch on the side of it with a PES nut saying "FIFA is good but PES is still better" without really going into depth about why; you get the idea that his feelings are "PES is simpler, I've played it since day one, and FIFA is for poofs who only want to see a photo-realistic Beckham".

It's very much an old breed of gamer; so many of them aren't open to new things.

Last edited:

The whole idea of sports games is to be as realistic as possible aint it?

Some of the reviewers these days are absolutely clueless
Thats why i rather read a gamers point of view such has CB's review. these game magazines are dumb

Someone please clear one thing up for me. US launch date is 10/14/08, how is that some of you in the UK are getting it on 10/3/08?

Have I missed something?

I'll take that bet.

The reviewers I see reviewing games are gamers who have played PES for years and never given FIFA more than five minutes. The one good review I saw (this month's OPM FIFA 09 review) still had a blotch on the side of it with a PES nut saying "FIFA is good but PES is still better" without really going into depth about why; you get the idea that his feelings are "PES is simpler, I've played it since day one, and FIFA is for poofs who only want to see a photo-realistic Beckham".

It's very much an old breed of gamer; so many of them aren't open to new things.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, maybe not. But gaming magazines are usually in bed with alot of these gaming co....I'd rather see score by actual gamers along with their reviews of what is good or bad in the game. I would like to see review of both FIFA and PES on this site (with side-by-side comparisons of strengths and weakness).

Maybe the reviewer got that "Raiders of the lost ark" moment where FIFA09 just exposed him to so much divine beauty that his face was melted right off, and hence he felt it was a bit too good?

face-melt.jpg

Yep, that must be it.

If the only complaint from that review is that FIFA 09 is too realistic then im going to be very happy.

So we have two reviews for FIFA 09 currently:

OPM: 90/100
Xbox World: 81/100

90+81/2= 85.5 rounded up gives us a current average score of 86/100.

Im thinking about FIFA 09 too much...

cant wait to play it, sick and bastard of tired of FIFA 08 at the moment lol

You think they moaned about it being too realistic because it now means they can't sprint down the wings unchallenged and score a double somersault overhead kick in every game now? (Not that Fifa does that these days)

They now have to actually play the game like the real football that were all fans of instead of playing a VIDEO GAME that represents football.

Maybe they're just out of ideas? They can't call Fifa arcadey as that's now PES's role. So they'll have to pick on the realism as that's something the Fifa team have strived towards this year and it's the only insult they can throw at it that won't come back at them like a boomerang and also attack PES when they review that game.

Seems they'd much prefer to kick a ball and hear the noise of a cow being slapped across the arse with a shovel than the realistic tension of slow build up play, players battling for the ball with Defoe being pushed over by the gigantic brick shit house defender you've just signed from Germany on a loan as you couldn't afford to buy him. The kind of realistic action that draws you in and makes you forget you've been playing for 5 hours, the food in the oven is now burnt, the kitchen is on fire and your wife has left you... but you don't care because Martin Tyler has just told you that Shaun Wright Phillips is a Little Bundle of Energy and you're now determined to break his legs to shut Tyler up.

Then when you finally break through the defence, you square the ball and you're on the edge of your seat ....

You shoot....

...and it hits the post and the full time whistle goes!

And yet you're still happy with the 0 - 0 draw against Blackburn as it means you're now above Aston Villa in the league.

Or you tackle a giant with two dwarfs by just holding down square and X... shoot, hear the noise of that cow now being cracked over the back with a bag of sand ... and as its the final seconds of the game you know for a fact it's going to hit the bar... as it always hits the bar in the final few minutes. The whistle goes and you draw 0-0 and now you're 4th in the master league second division behind Yuventees, West London, and Namchelster Reds.

Who needs realism!

Last edited:

it's euro 2008 but listen to this guys voice, I would hate to play against him online as I would go nuts
[ul=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZI3h-jif1U&eurl=http://www.epltalk.com/fifa-09-preview/3114]YouTube - ★ ® FIFA 09 OFFICIAL EA SPORTS TRAILER ★[/url]

I'm 100% convinced that's faked, the proof being euthanasia is illegal in most countries of the world.

Before anyone says - i know SWP doesn't play for Blackburn - I just picked a team at random - let's say for arguments sake BB had bought him.

Oh man! and I thought EA Canada always released Fifa to us first here in the states. Now I have to wait an extra week. Bummer!

But, I'll be busy enjoying the demo though. Mehhh..what's another week anyway, it's not that long is it?
Why would they? We play football and you play SOCCER!:-pp England the home of football.:SMOKIN:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom