FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Yes but you can throw all the money and effort in the world at it, but it still doesn't guarantee success. Before anyone has a go, I will be buying both games, so I am not siding with any game, and I agree EA are making the bigger effort to improve the game (not hard as Konami doing fuck all). So they deserve to come out on top.

But what worries me is that EA have really been cranking up there effort for a good number of years now, and I cannot believe the standard were still at, it should be better, and obvious flaws should have been corrected by now. I mean how long is it going to take before we get realistic headers. Thats if the game allows us to head the ball, because on most crossers were you want to head it, the player instead will try and chest the ball, even at an un-chestable (new word) height, how many years has this gone on for, this is worrying, it seems they improve in areas not so important.

Pes has its faults and they certainly grew with 2008, but Pes has been years ahead of Fifa, and although a lot believe Fifa 08 took over as the best footy game, I am not so sure. Shooting, Heading, Player motion and reaction still edge it for me in Pes, you just never feel you are in total control with Fifa, and when you pull something off, you just dont feel 100% responsible.

So I hope the reported improvement in control is true, just hope its enough of an improvement though as it really needs to be.

totally agree on everything
that's what u always feel when u playng fifa, u have no contoll over the player, especially with the players un responsivne, made it even worst for me to enjoy fifa08, i really hope they had fix the responsivnes this time around. plus i also hope the game it's as fun to play with friends, as it was in pes. that's something pes does better, other then that fifa09 look promesing game this year

guys!guys! Has different weather actually been confirmed yet (overcast, rain, snow) ?? I remember a lot of talk from EA after 08 that this is where their next effort would be. If so then how come there has been absolutely no gameplay footage of different waether??
P.S. Its one of those things I have reallly been looking forward to.

Yes.

totally agree on everything
that's what u always feel when u playng fifa, u have no contoll over the player, especially with the players un responsivne, made it even worst for me to enjoy fifa08, i really hope they had fix the responsivnes this time around. plus i also hope the game it's as fun to play with friends, as it was in pes. that's something pes does better, other then that fifa09 look promesing game this year

You must be playing a different version to me, I control my players fine, can pass, can shoot, can tackle, can dribble, better than the shite Euro2008 where you can't tackle, can't score, can't compete against teams that are lesser than you........

I hope the day/night matches and weather effects are available at all stadia. For instance, in Fifa 08 you couldn't play a night match at the San Siro or Stadio Olimpico - only a day or dusk match - and weather effects and match times varied in Euro 2008 also(e.g. you couldn't play a rainy night match at some grounds, or a sunny day match at others).

I always thought this was a bit strange.

i know Placebo, it's difficult to explaing, but to me the gameplay it's not as responsiv and fluid as pes in general, (apart from pes08 that version was shit) and for me that is a very importand part of the gameplay, i really wanna feel i am in controll, i am that player on the pitch, but in fifa i never feelt that way, i know some people will not agree, but that's my opinion

Has anything been mentioned about the spanish commentators in the game? I remember the Campus Day videos had spanish commentary that sounded too good to be true. Where these actual commentary from the game or just some people commentating at the event? Thanks.

Has anything been mentioned about the spanish commentators in the game? I remember the Campus Day videos had spanish commentary that sounded too good to be true. Where these actual commentary from the game or just some people commentating at the event? Thanks.

I am also wondering about the commentators in FIFA09. Thought that Placebo might have heard something since we are both from Sweden. In FIFA08 we couldn't choose english commentators here in Sweden. We were stuck with either swedish, dutch or spanish commentators(!). Believe me, you don't want to listen to the horrible swedish commentators no matter if it is your native language. This was for the 360 by the way.

dont you guys think that it would be a good idea for another company to make a soccer game. for example 2ksports. to bring out a whole new engine. it might come out to be a good game, then there would be more than 2 choices when buying a soccer game

You know what would be great about the Live Season feature?

Not only a stats adjustment, but also a weekly adjustment on the players appearance. I mean suppouse Ronaldo changes his hair completely, wouldn't it be awesome to have that reflected in-game as well?

In fact, I think I'd prefer that kind of changes over the stats changes. Because seriously, players can have bad matches but when you play on YOUR computer you will hate it if Rooney misses easy shots over and over again just like the one from the video. I mean it would be like your own timing, pace and accuracy to take a shot has no influence on the game.

I wonder if that isn't a dangerous thing...

Yeah, they could also have weekly downloads to keep up to date the colour of the players' pants.

They could also allow us to download the actual weather conditions for that weekend, so if it was wet and windy, then that's what you have to play in. Can't be that hard to do as the weather is factual, rather than the more subjective player form.

i know Placebo, it's difficult to explaing, but to me the gameplay it's not as responsiv and fluid as pes in general, (apart from pes08 that version was shit) and for me that is a very importand part of the gameplay, i really wanna feel i am in controll, i am that player on the pitch, but in fifa i never feelt that way, i know some people will not agree, but that's my opinion

Yes but comparing PES to Fifa08 is a fallacy, PES is an arcade game, that's why it has super fast responses to accentuate the super fast dribbling, look at the way PES moves, it's not realistic, look at the way it pingpong passes around, it's not realistic, Fifa08 is realism based, that's why it's much, much slower, maybe too slow for some, but I play far better realistic football with Fifa08 than I ever did in my years playing PES.

I am also wondering about the commentators in FIFA09. Thought that Placebo might have heard something since we are both from Sweden. In FIFA08 we couldn't choose english commentators here in Sweden. We were stuck with either swedish, dutch or spanish commentators(!). Believe me, you don't want to listen to the horrible swedish commentators no matter if it is your native language. This was for the 360 by the way.

I'll be getting the Pal version with English commentary that's for sure ;)

dont you guys think that it would be a good idea for another company to make a soccer game. for example 2ksports. to bring out a whole new engine. it might come out to be a good game, then there would be more than 2 choices when buying a soccer game

You have to be joking, you clearly haven't seen Prizefighter in action, that was the whole "I wish a company like 2k made a boxing game so it would be a simulation and challenge EA to make Fight Night better".......

Prizefighter was an ugly, buggy, glitchy game and they just announced there'll be no update to fix the countless problems with it.

You have to be joking, you clearly haven't seen Prizefighter in action, that was the whole "I wish a company like 2k made a boxing game so it would be a simulation and challenge EA to make Fight Night better".......

Prizefighter was an ugly, buggy, glitchy game and they just announced there'll be no update to fix the countless problems with it.

yes and that game was the exception not the rule man... there other games are superb

that does not mean that if they ever make a soccer game it will but stupid like prize fighter

off topic!- i wanna get a console for this decent game. may anyone advice me which to get! :LOL:
thanks!

I think a lot of people here will point out the 360 cos there seems to be more people playing it online...and lets face it, the 360's online capabilities are somewhat unmatched (though maybe not for long if Sony bucks up)...plus you might wanna consider the 360's Dashboard Update coming this fall that features seamless party play (makes it so much easier for up to 8 players to form a party and jump from one game to another)...

Yes but comparing PES to Fifa08 is a fallacy, PES is an arcade game, that's why it has super fast responses to accentuate the super fast dribbling, look at the way PES moves, it's not realistic, look at the way it pingpong passes around, it's not realistic, Fifa08 is realism based, that's why it's much, much slower, maybe too slow for some, but I play far better realistic football with Fifa08 than I ever did in my years playing PES.

I'll be getting the Pal version with English commentary that's for sure ;)

exactly!

360 is the cheaper console - PS3 online is free - other than that look at some exclusives see which you prefer.

360 is the cheaper console - PS3 online is free - other than that look at some exclusives see which you prefer.

ps3 online is free and shite when home comes out then I will consider using a PS3 for my online play again.

And even then if the system works really well I can see them charging for it...

They said about a week ago at Leipzig they have no plans to charge for PSN even when HOME comes out.

A few games have had troubles online - GTA had a server problem for about 2 weeks after launch and BF Bad Company was laggy on launch and laggy when they launched conquest... but they run on the EA servers so isn't Sony's fault.

Can't say I've had the problems I had on the 360 with lag, racists, singers, dumb kids shouting throughout the game and those people who whip their cocks on when the game has camera support like Uno, Burnout and C&C3. The only problems I have ran into are a few nob head players on BF Bad Company who team killed or cheated to rank up.

I think PSN is awesome for playing online.

I dont think Pes 2009 will be a huge step forward, I can only see it advancing once/if they make a new engine for it. Makes me think though PES is running on a 5 yr engine and still Fifa hasn't really took over from it like it should have done. Roll on the Fifa demo anyway, maybe the control is much much better, heres hoping. . . .

They said about a week ago at Leipzig they have no plans to charge for PSN even when HOME comes out.

A few games have had troubles online - GTA had a server problem for about 2 weeks after launch and BF Bad Company was laggy on launch and laggy when they launched conquest... but they run on the EA servers so isn't Sony's fault.

Can't say I've had the problems I had on the 360 with lag, racists, singers, dumb kids shouting throughout the game and those people who whip their cocks on when the game has camera support like Uno, Burnout and C&C3. The only problems I have ran into are a few nob head players on BF Bad Company who team killed or cheated to rank up.

I think PSN is awesome for playing online.

thats because you actually have to go out and buy a headset not every 10-13 year old will do that for their ps3...

emm. will i need to pay to even play fifa online with xbox360?

Yes you have to pay for a gold membership (About £35 for the year) to be able to play online - you probably will get a free XBL Gold trial that will last 24 hours with fifa but don't quote me on that.

The first time you create your Gamertag on the 360 you'll get given 1 months free gold membership and if you want to you could create a new tag 2 more times after that and get 2 more months free. But you can't carry over any achievements or friends across - you'll have to start from scratch each time (though re adding your friends isn't too difficult)

So you could try that and play online for 3 months for free - if you're bored of the online after that then you can pay for a membership - I'm sure they do monthly, 6 month and yearly options ... not sure if any other combinations are available.

-

On the PS3 you create your Playstation Network name (PSN) and then boot up fifa and you can play. If you want to use any of the EA sports features you'll have to create an EA sports account on their site and then put those details into the game

Last edited:

emm. will i need to pay to even play fifa online with xbox360?

You need a Gold live account to play 360 games online or to download certain content (such as the free squad updates). considering live only costs $60US and includes:

* 12-month Xbox Live® Gold membership
* $20 Xbox 360 Game Rebate Coupon*
* Xbox 360™ Headset
* Xbox Live Arcade game: Bankshot Billiards 2™
* 200 Microsoft® Points

It seems like a bargain to me, or you can get just the Gold code itself from Ebay for around 25%-50% less :)

Uhm, did anyone buy the Official Playstation magazine UK? It came out yesterday and has reviewed Fifa 09.

If so, scans would be much appreciated... :D

Back
Top Bottom