FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

look what i found. i like this cover alot
3755692.jpg

Rooney looks like he's telling his old flame Ethel Openbottom to "oh fuck off", as he puts the key in the door, much to Dinho's amusement.

For the life of me I cannot understand Dinho being on the cover....AGAIN! Guess it's a contract thing because he totally fell off the radar, had controversy and imo, doesn't have the work ethic or qualities needed to be on the cover. But oh well. I would have chosen Fernando Torres and Casillas

well it must be good if it got a 9/10 anyways.

it's clear to me that fifa09 will be the real deal this year. not flawless, then again not many footy games are.

ie. none

i predict pro evo will get a 7.5-8.0 btw

I predict 9 -9.5 for pes simply cause it has too many blind fanboy rev iwrs

I want Chris Kamara on there mid-speech, with Jeff Sterling in an inset circle looking stunned.

FIFA 09
"There's just no decision regarding this amazing game. Except on whether to buy it."

For the life of me I cannot understand Dinho being on the cover....AGAIN! Guess it's a contract thing because he totally fell off the radar, had controversy and imo, doesn't have the work ethic or qualities needed to be on the cover. But oh well. I would have chosen Fernando Torres and Casillas

I think Rooney and Ronaldinho were signed in to 4 or 5 year deals by EA.

That 2nd opinion guy is ajoke! 6/10 for fifa 08? LOL! There will be people who, no matter how disappointed they are deep down inside with PES, will give it 9's. Deep down they are hurting but cannot let their emotions show, then they rate each PES iteration as "the best", and so on. It's quite pathetic. I played both PES 2008 and Fifa 2008 and rate PES a 6/10 and Fifa an 8.3/10. I predicted 9's for Fifa 2009 and so far, so good. There will be some who give it obvious biased reviews (ign, which I predict will give it from a 7.5 - 8.0).

Anyway, Im waiting till the day that Konami burn a copy of Atari 5200 soccer and package that as PES 2010. Then you'd hear all the "it's amazing" reviews. LOL! Some people are a riot.

How the hell did u rate Fifa as 8.3 out of 10?? Are you sure PES wasnt 5.995 /10 ?:LOL:

That review mentioned a few things that I hadn't really heard before, like how passes are now often just slightly misplaced or overhit rather than being scritped to go straight to a man or some other pre-determined destination (I'm assuming he's not playing on full manual control).

I'll be intrigued to see how it plays out. None of the videos seemed to show it, although I wasn't particularly looking for it.

It might make a lot of matches more scrappy, but that's what a lot of real matches are like. Here's hoping...

Also great to hear the tactical sliders and stuff comes into play most in Be-A-Pro mode. I can see that being the main mode I play off-line so I'll be intrigued to see if the long-ball game can be truly effective.

All in all, it sounds like they've made improvements in all the right areas (except manager mode - there's always next year, Placebo), but I reckon this game is going to be tremendously addictive.

That review mentioned a few things that I hadn't really heard before, like how passes are now often just slightly misplaced or overhit rather than being scritped to go straight to a man or some other pre-determined destination (I'm assuming he's not playing on full manual control).

I'll be intrigued to see how it plays out. None of the videos seemed to show it, although I wasn't particularly looking for it.

The way I read it was that because of the analog settings, passes are never exactly on target, and just passing and trapping are bigger parts of the game than the automatic PES ones.

The way I read it was that because of the analog settings, passes are never exactly on target, and just passing and trapping are bigger parts of the game than the automatic PES ones.

Still not sure I follow what's going on here. If he was playing on manual controls, then fine, I can understand passes being regularly misplaced or weighted incorrectly.

But if he was playing on auto, then what causes all these misplaced passes? Is it first time passes that are less on target (which would be great, as it's too easy on auto to play perfect one-touch football), so you need to trap the ball first, and then, when you've got the ball under control, play your pass as you'll now have more chance of it going exactly where you want?

I'd really like to see a game where lots of the players with lesser passing stas are far more likely to slightly misplace passes, so the passing stats really start to mean something, but somehow, I don't think that's what going on here, otherwise EA would have been blowing trumpets about it.

I guess time will tell. Time will also tell if cpu players are equally afflicted by less accurate passing and weaker ball control. Somehow, I suspect not.

That annoys me that you can have a passing stat of 50 and still somehow manage to make a pixel perfect long ball pass right onto the foot on a striker the other end of the pitch.

Still not sure I follow what's going on here. If he was playing on manual controls, then fine, I can understand passes being regularly misplaced or weighted incorrectly.

But if he was playing on auto, then what causes all these misplaced passes? Is it first time passes that are less on target (which would be great, as it's too easy on auto to play perfect one-touch football), so you need to trap the ball first, and then, when you've got the ball under control, play your pass as you'll now have more chance of it going exactly where you want?

I'd really like to see a game where lots of the players with lesser passing stas are far more likely to slightly misplace passes, so the passing stats really start to mean something, but somehow, I don't think that's what going on here, otherwise EA would have been blowing trumpets about it.

I guess time will tell. Time will also tell if cpu players are equally afflicted by less accurate passing and weaker ball control. Somehow, I suspect not.

It would surely be great if they had implemented some randomization features, aswell as enhanced (or should I say implemented) the importance of the stats for passing and such.

I really don't see why it should be so difficult, you just need to make players with better stats play more accurate passes.
And that way the advantage of "Assisted" vs. "Manual" passing would be further diminished, since both would suffer from the same level of inaccuracy (obviously assisted passes would always be intended to end up exactly at players so technically it might be slightly more accurate (the dispersion of the inaccuracy of the player is always centered bull's eye on a teammate), but the difference would be less, and "assisted" players would also have to suffer botched passes and more difficult trapping due to unpredictable passes).

I think I just repeated myself again. ;)

All in all, it sounds like they've made improvements in all the right areas (except manager mode - there's always next year, Placebo)

Indeed, but still I'm really excited now, can't wait for it to arrive :)

Just ordered a HDD enclosure off Ebay so I can add a 160gb hard drive that I have to my wife's laptop for capturing Fifa09 video footage!

That annoys me that you can have a passing stat of 50 and still somehow manage to make a pixel perfect long ball pass right onto the foot on a striker the other end of the pitch.

remember that it is not only about the accuracy of the pass but also the speed. players with more passing stats give better through balls on the ground and in the air. also imagine if the reviewers gave fifa 08 a 6/10 and everybody agrees that 08 was very good how good fifa 09 is that they gave it a 9/10

i hope that star does'nt apper over you player heads as i haven't checked it. the thing reminded me of the sims when i was playing euro 2008 i just wish i could remove all radars player names etc if i wanted to.

I'm really happy with the PSM review. Especially the part that said even though build up play is excellent, goals are hard to come by because the keepers are well positioned. This was a big worry of mine because in all the video's i've seen the keepers hardly dive and looked crap. Ps only 12 until the demo i can't wait also does anyone know how much time the halves will be in the demo?

few questions in regards to fifa 09

what is the fifa 09 equivalent of special abilities in pes? is it similar as in star attributes to dribbling, long distance shooting, marking, scoring, 1 vs 1 etc?

does nakamura and ronaldinho have their own unique free kick motion?

are unlicensed kits patchable/editable?

they don't really have special abilities they're just way better at certain things than the rest . ronaldo and ronaldinho have their own freekick animations and a few other players have as well as penalties but anyway that was in 08 so im not if they will be more personalised this time round but i haven't seen or read anything that says otherwise.

actually they do have traits like the ones you mentioned but i personally didn't see any visual differences.

ps2 verion casual controls is a joke
YouTube - FIFA 09 - PS2 Gameplay - Casual Controls Tutorial (29th Aug 08)

Last edited:

casual controls for noobs...
its good for those who r shite for example my 5 yr old brother would actually be able to play tht lol

Does anyone else in here prefer the way PES handles pauses in online games...when you press START the menu doesn't appear until a break in play.

It can be annoying in Fifa when your opponent pauses the game suddenly especially if it ends up their favour and you lose momentum.

Is it still like this in 09?

Back
Top Bottom