FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Q: Can I play against a player that doesn’t subscribe to this service?
In online matches, a gamer with Live Season can play against a gamer who doesn’t have Live Season but only the subscriber will be able to use the data for his team."

Thanks for the info SPMC, thats good news :)

australian wii cover
boxart_fifa09_wii.jpg

at 0:44 seconds in the video of the stills on fsb they show a picture of the Emirates and the concrete has been replaced by red and white boardings with the canon.

Thats a PC pic of Emirates, not the same as the 360 or PS3 version! I think there is a diffrence between stadiums on PC and next gen...

The PC/PS2 versions always had red and white boards for Emirates. I'm pretty sure it's still concrete on the next gen versions

I hope TO GOD that the game ONLY pauses when the ball is DEAD..... The MOST annoying thing about 5vs5 is all the CRAZY pausing that goes on during the match. Now imagine what that would be like with 20 players all being able to pause the game. This really better be fixed.

Is there more excitement about 09 than there was about 08? I think so.

Definately, also considering that 09 is drawing a truckload of attention from the PES fans side (including myself, I've been a hardcore Winning Eleven fan for longer than a decade however I'm looking forward to FIFA this time around) whose expectations for the 2009 release were totally crushed by the terrible quality of PES latest release early builds showed at Leipzig and the likes.

I do believe a large chunk of the "core" PES userbase is now finally ready to jump ship after years of mediocre games, unkept promises, tiny sidegrades and unrewarded loyalty for that shithead that goes by the name of "Seabass" Takatsuka.

Last edited:

lol, easy there retri!

i was like you but i jumped on fifa with 07. i think seabass will redeem himself with 2010 edition.

i'll play fifa09 in the meantime though.

I hope TO GOD that the game ONLY pauses when the ball is DEAD..... The MOST annoying thing about 5vs5 is all the CRAZY pausing that goes on during the match. Now imagine what that would be like with 20 players all being able to pause the game. This really better be fixed.

I put into EA a long list of such issues about the 5v5 mode, including the pausing problem. I suggested there was no legitimate reason for anyone other than captains to be able to pause the game (so they can make subs, etc).

Anyone other than captains can be pausing for only 2 reasons:
1) to change settings such as camera/controls - but frankly, they should have the courtesy to sort that out before going on-line
2) to be annoying, which I'm sure is the reason 99% of the time

I also don't understand why the match has to pause for someone to quit.

I'll be disapopinted if they haven't addressed many of the administrative issues with 5v5, such as inability to boot those turds that won't go READY in the lobby, when both teams come out in the same coloured kits, inability to substitute/boot humans who deliberately wreck matches by scoring OGs, inability to see what players/formation the captain has chosen...so many stupid things that need sorted.

Last edited:

Definately, also considering that 09 is drawing a truckload of attention from the PES fans side (including myself, I've been a hardcore Winning Eleven fan for longer than a decade however I'm looking forward to FIFA this time around) whose expectations for the 2009 release were totally crushed by the terrible quality of PES latest release early builds showed at Leipzig and the likes.

I do believe a large chunk of the "core" PES userbase is now finally ready to jump ship after years of mediocre games, unkept promises, tiny sidegrades and unrewarded loyalty for that shithead that goes by the name of "Seabass" Takatsuka.

Is that not the truth.. Im definatley looking forward to Fifa more than PES for the first time in a decade or so..:w00t:

I think you should be able to pause the game in 10 vs 10, but it wouldn't pause the game for everyone. The game would move on and your player would just stand there on the pitch. Sure it would be annoying if a paused player got the ball but it beats pausing the game for everyone. Or they could make the player become COM while you're in pause mode. Both those solutions beats the current one.

I actually feel sad for the PES series. I remember how it used to wipe the floor with Fifa, now how things have changed. I'm so excited for Fifa 09 and I really only think PES is worth a rent these days.

I actually feel sad for the PES series. I remember how it used to wipe the floor with Fifa, now how things have changed. I'm so excited for Fifa 09 and I really only think PES is worth a rent these days.

I understand your feelings my friend, but there is a first time for everything in life and this might be the year that Seabass and company ultimately meet defeat.

I sure hope valuable lessons are learned from this.

The goal at the 4 min mark - Still have the stupid keepers i see who dive AFTER a ball has passed them. The keeper should have easily saved that but for some stupid reason the AI is set so he only dives at a ball that is on either side of him. So it's over the line before the trigger kicks in.

Pardon my shoddy paint drawing

fifakeepers.jpg

So if you shoot at a keeper on his line his triggers will be across the line and he will dive and stop shots. (I made a typo then and put SHITS :LOL:)

As soon as he's off his line and at an angle the trigger lines are in the back of the goals or further out from the box - so if the ball is heading to the trigger in the back of the goal he wont dive until the balls close which means it'll be over the line.

There's part of me still wants to see something good in the PES videos that will make me think "yeah, there's just enough there to tempt me to buy it afterall". But it just looks so bad. The ball physics is terrible, the player movements so ridiculous. It hasn't always been that bad, has it? Didn't PES used to be mind-blowing?

I sincerely hope there's a PES demo. I really want to play it, even it just once, just to know what it feels like, and there's not way I'm coughing up £40 for that privilege.

But the FIFA vids just get me more and more excited. Really love the worn look of the pitch in that vid above. Shame the ball doesn't bobble more along the rough looking surface.

i agree with what's been said. fifa09 doesn't look perfect (goalies and AI still look to need more tlc), but it's damn close to what i want.

PES09 in that comparison vid is not what i'm looking for. i think the main thing seabass needs to improve is the running animations. they run like they have the shits (pardon my french). we should have left that back last gen.

check out PES5 vids and i swear they have nearly the same animations. this whole system needs gutting and re-animating.

anyways, my main hope is for a more active ai on the attack in fifa. i want movement off the ball. it really shouldn't be that hard with all the processing power of next gen consoles. the new vid looks great tho.

But it just looks so bad. The ball physics is terrible, the player movements so ridiculous. It hasn't always been that bad, has it? Didn't PES used to be mind-blowing?

I think it always used to be like it is now, difference was there was no competition so it was the first choice and we thought it was great, it's like when you look back now at SWOS or Kick Off or Player Manager and the like, in their day they were awesome, you look back now and think WTF did I really play that? That to me is PES now that it stands against EA's new engine.

I think it always used to be like it is now, difference was there was no competition so it was the first choice and we thought it was great, it's like when you look back now at SWOS or Kick Off or Player Manager and the like, in their day they were awesome, you look back now and think WTF did I really play that? That to me is PES now that it stands against EA's new engine.

Then you have the people who jumped on the 'Pes is better than fifa' bandwagon and have yet to realise everyone has got off going around saying PES 08 was amazing, much better than fifa which is always the same. Or they'll say that PES is for real fans or that fifa 09 looks like it finally might give PES a run for its money.

I love reading the reviews of fifa or PES and you can clearly tell if they're a real fan of the games or just a journo who has heard PES beats fifa and fifa is always the same and so uses those lines in the review.

From the list of improvements i wanted to like this years PES - i was hoping to have 2 great football games to pick between and then i would have gone to PES this year over fifa as it would have been something new to me having skipped PES 08. But In my eyes PES hasn't got a chance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom