FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

it's PS3 and the nets are crap.
ball has too much power, when leaving the net. It's like the nets are made of gum

Thank you sweetkilla. Next version of fifa i want pitches to mark as you tackle. Tell the bastards please.:-pp

We Love Sweetkilla!!!!!

I want to have his babies - There I said it first, I've got dibs on his babies - YEE HAA!!!!

The nets look fine to me. In real life, not all nets are the same...not all nets are like Football Kingdom.

A bit disappointing that there's still that delay between the goal being scored and the crowd cheering.

Also, would be nice to have a better roar, like the "Gooooaaal!" cheer from Spanish and Portguese crowds.

The FIFA cheers still sound a bit like videos of Wembley crowds in the 1960s, a polite cheer, not enough venom. I almost expect to hear someone shout "Bravo. Good goal, old chap!"

oh damn PS3 ?? so the pc version nets are going to be crap again I guess :(

I gather that graphically, the PC is roughly the same as XBox and PS3, although the gameplay and feel are probably closer to PS2. At a guess.

From the little I have seen, it does look pretty good... hoping we will get more footage soon though.

Video 8 - wtf are the 2 centre-backs doing? It's as if neither of them are aware a striker is clean through on goal between them and they stick to their positions as they jog back, rather than urgently chasing down the striker. The left sided CB in particular. And EA are using these vids to show off how great their game is?

sweetkilla,

if you get a chance can you try saving a replay from the pause menu and see if you have the option of saving to disk?

Cheers
Shooto

boo-yah. watch your back seabass! :-pp

I still can't comprehend why EA and Konami spend x amount of time creating these supposedly fantastic, inch-perfect 3D models of the stadiums and then dump the same generic goals on every pitch.

You can recognise most grounds almost instantly purely from the look of the nets. I'm sure there was a crappy game on the Dreamcast that featured varying styles of nets...

Hey SweetKilla, the build i played had the same response times as Euro08, have they been improved or are they the same? Also I had the same issue as you when players were missing sitters but i found this was fixed if you used a finness shot instead :))

Keep enjoying the game mate as I think its definetly the best football game thats been made to date!

Video 8 - wtf are the 2 centre-backs doing? It's as if neither of them are aware a striker is clean through on goal between them and they stick to their positions as they jog back, rather than urgently chasing down the striker. The left sided CB in particular. And EA are using these vids to show off how great their game is?

Looks to me like the player controlling them switched to the right CB first and ran him in the wrong direction, then it switched to the left and he did the same thing. Some of the players have been pretty rubbish so far i wouldn't take to much stock in that :)

I still can't comprehend why EA and Konami spend x amount of time creating these supposedly fantastic, inch-perfect 3D models of the stadiums and then dump the same generic goals on every pitch.

You can recognise most grounds almost instantly purely from the look of the nets. I'm sure there was a crappy game on the Dreamcast that featured varying styles of nets...
apparently fifa09 has it aswell

the PC version looks awful.
In the chelsea manchester HD video on jeuxvideo (360/PS3), tevez does a deliberate outside of the foot shot at the start with reverse curl!

Last edited:

Controls for New Stuff in FIFA 09

Call for a teammate on Corners
-Press LT/L2 when you get a corner to bring a teammate close for a short pass
Call for a layoff man
-Press LT/L2 when you get a Free Kick in shooting range to bring in a layoff player
Shoot with the layoff man
-Hold LT/L2 and the shoot button when taking a free kick
Pass with the layoff man to a third player
-Hold LT/L2 and the pass button when taking a free kick
Wall Jump
-Press Y/Triangle during the Free Kick run up when defending a free kick with a wall to make the wall jump.
Bullet Man
-Press X/Square during the Free Kick run up when defending a free kick with a wall to have the player on the end of the wall charge the shooter
Jockey Press
-Hold LT/R2 and A/X to maintain a few yards distance from the dribbler and contain
-Release LT/R2 to go in for the tackle at the right moment
Running Jockey
-Hold LT/L2 and RT/R2 to use the running jockey.
-This is a faster paced jockey that will allow you to better position your defender without having to plant and turn.
Custom Team Tactics on the D-Pad
-Press Down on the D-Pad and then select from the list.

Controls for things that people may not know about

Driven Shot from Free Kick
-Hold LB/L1 to hit a lower driven shot from Free Kicks
How to add curl to a free kick
-During power up of the power bar hold a direction on the left stick to add spin
-Left or Right for Max Sidespin (Up and Down are minimum)
-Diagonal Up Left or Diagonal Up Right for maximum Topspin (Up and sides are minimum)
-Down for Max backspin (Left and Right are minimum)
Jockey
-Hold LT/L2 when defending to jockey the dribbler
Team Mentality
-Press Right on the D-Pad to bring up the Mentality menu, then press right or left to adjust your team’s mentality.
-All the way Left is very defensive, and all the way right is Very Attacking.
Skill Moves
-Hold LT/L2 and use the right stick to do skill moves when dribbling.
Fake Shot
-While powering up a Shot or Lob pass, quickly press the pass button before you release the Shot or Lob to do a Fake shot. (Fake Shot’s with the shot button can only be triggered in the oppositions half.)
Penalty Aiming
-The longer you hold down the shot button, the further out towards the post the shot will go.
Move On-field player in Throw In situations
-Press LB/L2 to take control of a player on field during a throw in. (No icon will appear so that your opponent won’t know who you are throwing to)
-Press the short or long throw button to throw it to that player
-Press LB/L2 a second time if you want to switch back to the thrower.
Hard Stop Face Goal
-When dribbling, press LB/L2 with no direction on the left stick to stop the ball and face toward the goal.
Hard Stop Face Away
-When dribbling, press RT/R1 with no direction on the left stick to stop the ball and face away from the closest opponent.
08.21.08.16.48.47.jpg

08.21.08.16.48.23.jpg

08.21.08.16.48.11.jpg

08.21.08.16.48.04.jpg

http://www.sportsgamer.com/content/2123/exclusive-fifa-09-screens-and-new-controls-breakdown/

Looks like if you're a PC gamer you have no other choice but to stick with PES, which is quite a shame. Why EA didn't bother to make the PC version on par with the consoles version I have no idea, all they did was up the gfx and add a few different controlling methods.

Graphically, the PC version sucks so so much.

PLAYER MODELS ARE IDENTICAL TO THE ONES IN FIFA 08.
Except for the lightning and the somehow better textures (although the kits remain glued to the model). Hell, they still have that horrible gap between the legs, like they were GI JOE toys. And their horrible big heads are still there to remind us EA doesn't care about PC.
3d grass is another joke. I bet it won't be noticed in the standart camera views.

I wonder... would it be possible to play this game under a PS3 emulator or something like that?

Although the Konami saga continues having the same gameplay logic as their first Playstation 1 games (in terms of gameplay architecture, the game has been playing absolutely the same since then), konami may at least give us the same product they are releasing for xbox and ps3. It will be boring, yes. But we'll be sure they tried the best they could.

Last edited:

Graphically, the PC version sucks so so much.

PLAYER MODELS ARE IDENTICAL TO THE ONES IN FIFA 08.
Except for the lightning and the somehow better textures (although the kits remain glued to the model). Hell, they still have that horrible gap between the legs, like they were GI JOE toys. And their horrible big heads are still there to remind us EA doesn't care about PC.
3d grass is another joke. I bet it won't be noticed in the standart camera views.

I wonder... would it be possible to play this game under a PS3 emulator or something like that?

You kidding? There is no such thing as a PS3 emu lol. You would need a a monster of a computer to run a PS3 emu, & it would still suck.

EA should learn from Rockstar, they're making GTA4 PC the better version, yeah it's late but I sure wouldn't mind waiting.

Although the Konami saga continues having the same gameplay logic as their first Playstation 1 games (in terms of gameplay architecture, the game been playing absolutely the same since then), konami may at least give us the same product they are releasing xbox and ps3. It will be boring, yes. But we'll be sure they tried the best they could.

Yeah, that's the only thing I can hand to Konami. For how long EA will be doing this I don't know. They said they've been listening to the PC community, and this is the result?

Back
Top Bottom