FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Was it your last day today Sweetkilla or are you going everyday until Monday. ?

What was your best moment today and did you see any new stuff animations etc.

I am here until Saturday so 2 more days of fifa :)

my fave moment today was my goal on www.eafootballworld.com the 5th goal where Ronaldo stretched for the ball and managed to get it before anyone else and poke it in!

and the nets are different from ground to ground not the design but the actual strength or weakness of the net

i think im being converted, some of these videos are mind boggling

Having said that ive just never got on with the controls

in this day and age you can change them ;))

Last edited:

I am here until Saturday so 2 more days of fifa :)

my fave moment today was my goal on www.eafootballworld.com the 5th goal where Ronaldo stretched for the ball and managed to get it before anyone else and poke it in!

and the nets are different from ground to ground not the design but the actual strength or weakness of the net

Ah but that was yesterday (Day 1) but will let you off :-pp ye was good stretch really like new animations like this.

I got a couple of PM questions about why there are no licenses on certain kits sorry I don't know the answer to that my only guess is they are getting added now on the main build...

I read somewhere that is was on kits that advertised betting companies which is prohibited in Germany...

Sweetkilla, did you check out left footed goalies starting game from hands? Just curious while it's small thing.

i take it you don't know anymore about the bap player creation offline and then taking him online, like nhl and nba?

any hint of it?

are we likely to have any more announcements or is that it?

cheers

All I got told was EA Sports League should be in the game but you would be using real life pro's and that was from a journalist I was playing with so sketchy atm!

For the most part I am happy. But watching these video's I notice something which I think should be allot more focus on. It is the way passes are received. In real life football it takes allot of skill to control a fast paced pass, or a high ball. Whereas in FIFA(or WE for that matter) players control almost every pass instantly, no matter the pace or the height.

Receiving a pass should take a certain amount of timing and positioning, especially when under pressure. If made so, the whole game would become miles more realistic. The same goes for direct pass; the more difficult the pass is to control, all the more crucial will be the timing when performing a one-touch pass. When you do not master the timing, balls will bounce of your feet more easily while one touch passes will go wrong in many ways. They might go to soft or too hard, perhaps under your feet and other times the direction is just off.

When you want to control the ball you might want to choose for a close or long control. So in some cases a bad control is a good one, and visa versa. Naturally, when a player has bad first control, like Babel for instance, timing will do only so much when you want to control a fast ball very close to you. The defender can react to this by stepping in, also depending on timing. So instead of trying to intercept the pass or cover your zone, as a defender you have some middle ground where you can wait for the pass to be received and then get in.
On the other hand, with the right timing, tapping the run button after a bad reception might give Babel just enough momentum to still get the ball under his control.

This fierce battle in the first two/three second when in possession, a battle I experience time and again on the pitch, I have yet not seen successfully translated to any football game.

It is the cause that the gamespeed can never feel quite right. It is the cause that the ball does not feel loose. It is the cause that you can button smash your way to the goal. It is the reason why their NBA/NHL/NFL games are better in their field.

So no matter how difficult to program, it is crucial and if they can pull it off for FIFA10, ..and only then, they have got a winner.

Last edited:

Custom Formations

one of the biggest addition to the game is the ability to change your formations yes it was in last year but not to the depth of this years version I will explain. You can now use this online and set 4 formations for use in game like Pro Evo did so wonderfully well but theres also 1 more addition player roaming you can set which areas of the field each of your players either risk going into or strictly stay in so if you want your wingbacks to stay back the whole game and provide no attacking width/assitance and only mark Robinho/Robben you can do so.

If you want Gerrard and Lampard to roam incase theres a luck bounce you can do so this was easy to notice also! for example I had 4-2-4 formation but I wanted my wing backs to push forward and my Defensive midfielders to cover the space left by each wing back when I lost the ball and my wing backs where in my attacking 3rd what did I see I saw Cambiasso and Vieira occupying the Left back and Right Back positions I thought this was a great addition to the dynamic of the game as player arrows never did thier job in pes and previous fifa aswell as they should have.

Now you feel like you are the manager of your team and decide what you players do in the game of course I could have also had vieira and cambiasso attacking like CAM and putting immesne pressure on my opponents but defence is the most importing part of winning in fifa as far as I am concerned! this is a massive addition to the game and those who use it right will have massive winning percentages aswell as having an impact on what the A.I does there were a few occasions when vieira and cambiasso were not in position however and were occupying their DM roles but if this is something that is not totally perfected it is still an interesting addidition that can be improved on in the future! it is still a very useful form of attacking/defending without losing one...

Sliders
brief as I only changed this one or two times I can see this been used in the last 20 minutes of games when you need to pile on the pressure on your opponent with the mix of custom formations! as I didn't really find it that important but you could definetly see every one push up when I put chance creation all the way up but expect to be countered very easily if you dare turn up all the sliders :)

Thanks for you extensive review of the game.

The tactical side of the game sounds like it could be quite interesting. Perhaps off-line play will be decent after all.

sweetkilla, I'm assuming you've played both FIFA08 and Euro08. One major problem I had with Euro08 was defending - it was just awful. You couldn't get close to the opposition players (even of the minnows like Faroes) because they'd be scripted to skip away with the ball as soon as you tried to close in. Imo, in gameplay terms, defending did not exist.

Is this significantly improved for FIFA09? From your descriptions of the collision system, it sounds like you were able to get stuck right into Ronaldo, so defending is now a decent part of the gameplay?

Cheers, bud!

sorry PESv that was how fifa 08 was and it made the game so sloppy people want alot more instant control/trapping so they can get on with their next move it may not make it as realistic but it makes it alot less fun when it takes 3-4 touches for the player to take control of the ball and alot more frustrating that was one of my biggest gripes with 08 and afterall with the clubs their using instant control is what you expect from

Chelsea/Man Utd/Barca...

Winston the A.I is as frustrating in FIFA 09 as in Euro 2008 and FIFA 08 you can't win the ball for massive periods at a time as for defending yes the collision system is majorly improved although players do go to ground a little to easily at times I do like it alot!

In FIFA08, the defending trademark was the "run straight into the attacker head on and win the ball everytime" move. Surely everyone knows what I'm talking about? It was ubiquitous, both off-line and on-line. It was just about the main feature of every match. Is it still like that in FIFA09?

Was there any sense of the ball being a more free object, with the you or the AI misplacing passes or passing into space for players to run onto, or is it still a bit of a script-fest with the ball pinging straight from player to player in pixel-perfect fashion, ala PES?

Are you incredibly excited about the release of FIFA09, simply can't wait for it's release, or now that you know how the game feels, are you secretly a little bit uninspired, that it's perhaps not that much better than FIFA08 or Euro08?

yeah the 1st bit your talking about is the jocky straight at the striker that doesn't work as well now and your better off wiping out strikers side on... but the jockey straight at players is still effective as long as their not a skillful player.

The ball is a bit more free but you can still ping passes as its always going to be scripted if you dont set your passing to manual i had it as semi!

I am not incredibly excited but I will be when it comes closer to release atm I am getting to play the game on a daily basis so its just more of enjoying the game day by day and when you have to go back to your hotely you just wanna go back on it!

Cool, although it took you 5 whole minutes to answer that time. What gives? :-pp many thanks again for you time and opinion.

Anyway, having just watched the new PES gameplay videos, all I can say is "thank God for FIFA".

Also, good news to read that the EA have been very sensible with their Live Season feature in that on-line players can still play against each other, even if one has subscribed and the other has not.

Isn't it nice to have a developer that shows common sense as well as innovation, and seems to be in touch with what the buyers want?

If they add the ability to boot/vote off these guys that hang around the lobby in 5v5, refusing to pick a side so we can't start a match, then it will be further evidence of them understanding what is required to make a good on-line experience and a good game.

sweetkilla;1417564and the nets are different from ground to ground not the design but the actual strength or weakness of the net[/QUOTE said:
Sweetkilla your becoming a EVOWEB legend:DD That sentance is just fantastic news:DANCE: the more i look at what they have put together here, the more it becomes blindingly obvious that EA have produced a superb game this year.

The nets give it real feeling and the fact they are different at all the grounds give you the atmosphere that pulls you into the experience.

Brilliant:w00t:

FIFA 09 and PES 09 look that far apart in terms of quality that they look like games from completely different generations! This game is shaping up to be the best football game ever, can't wait.

New to the board but saw your review on FSB sweetkilla and I was wondering if you noticed in the play select screen the ability to mix and match shirts and shorts (ie., Utd's red top and black shorts).

Sweetkilla what are the weather conditions like? Do the kits get dirty? And can you challenge the keepers,early fifa you could give the keepers a good old boot.

Yeah I remember being able to walk up and practically punch goalkeepers! :lmao:

Sweetkilla what are the weather conditions like? Do the kits get dirty? And can you challenge the keepers,early fifa you could give the keepers a good old boot.

I only played in day/dusk/night matches with no weather effects but kits did get dirty.

I didn't try it out lol but my guess would be no however you can no dribble keepers and they actually take you out in fifa 09

In one of the most recent official EA trailers they show the game from the perspective of a couple different players but I remember I think watching Rosicky and in the trailer there was snow falling. I don't think they'd put that in an official trailer if it weren't in the game, but then again you never know.

And thanks for the quick reply sweetkilla.

Back
Top Bottom