FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Looking at both games, I'm not that impressed. I'm yet to see a great next-gen football game. The wait til next year begins..

did you notice the traits taking effect in the games? for instance did you feel close control was better when controlling berba? :)

did he have a different free kick stance? (if you saw it).

can you use jut LT to dribble expertly with the players that are good at dribbling? (aaron lennon, dos santos etc)

nice write-up btw.

this is the best bit!

Rooney blasted the ball and it hit the cross bar and bounced on the line Ronaldo was coming in for the tab in Cech was on the floor Ronaldo was closing in and what do I see, I see Cech scramble across goal on his knees and just punch it away before Ronaldo gets there this was probably the most exciting thing I saw all day as Goal keepers actually had a life like animation for that situation I had never ever seen before in fifa game or any sports game for that matter.

:o

did you notice the traits taking effect in the games? for instance did you feel close control was better when controlling berba? :)

did he have a different free kick stance? (if you saw it).

can you use jut LT to dribble expertly with the players that are good at dribbling? (aaron lennon, dos santos etc)

nice write-up btw.

this is the best bit!

:o
Berbatov had better control 100% but it was more about the close touch dribbling of the better players there was no need for skill moves with the top players as you could just shimmy with the ball :) if you are using the left analog stick and changing direction quickly this will be a new effective way of dribbling

Free kick stances were pretty similar except for Juninho and C.Ronaldo and Lampard

Berbatov had better control 100% but it was more about the close touch dribbling of the better players there was no need for skill moves with the top players as you could just shimmy with the ball :) if you are using the left analog stick and changing direction quickly this will be a new effective way of dribbling

Free kick stances were pretty similar except for Juninho and C.Ronaldo and Lampard

i like the sound of that, top players don't need to or do trick fests to beat players all the time...

I ain't paying for it... And if you are going to do it surely you have to have it so the players who are injured are out?

Q: What happens to seriously injured or suspended players?
When players are seriously injured, they may get a poor or bad form rating to reflect the fact they aren’t able to play up to their rating in the database. We are not making players unavailable due to suspension or injury for the service this year.

Thanks a lot for nice review/preview sweetkilla.

Would have two questions:

1)Can you set which players are up in corners or anything like that? Or is it still just offensive players and CB's sitting back in your own half.

2)Minor issue, but does left footed GK's start play with their right foot(when having ball in their hands that's)? Like Cech, Julio Cesar, Casillas, etc. did in FIFA 08.

All I know is if you have all attack on you definetly see taller players in the box I didn't see any manual controls for calling up certain players.

Sorry didn't think to notice which foot they kicked with :) will be able to tell you tomorrow

When players are seriously injured, they may get a poor or bad form rating to reflect the fact they aren’t able to play up to their rating in the database. We are not making players unavailable due to suspension or injury for the service this year.
Err yes I know, I think they have to be... ;))

The whole reason of having it is to make it realistic, to mirror real life, you can't then pick and choose what you add or don't, at the very least have an override option!...

INFO ON LIVE SEASON

2008-08-20
FIFA 09 Live Season Q&A Q: What is adidas Live Season?
adidas Live Season is a premium service for FIFA 09 PS3, Xbox 360 and PC that will update in-game player form each and every week. The service will run from the launch of the game to the end of the 08/09 season and is based on how real players performed in the most recent real-world matches. FIFA 09 will feel different every week throughout the entire season matching the weekly rhythm of football.

Q: Which leagues are included?
Barclay’s Premier League, La Liga BBVA, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, Serie A and Mexican Primera Division.

Q: Why aren’t all leagues of FIFA 09 included?
This is the first year of the service and a completely unique feature that has never been attempted before for football videogames. As a result, we made a decision to provide the best service by limiting the service to the six leagues that have the biggest global reach that match the same lifecycle of FIFA 09. This enables us to provide the best possible service, and effectively anticipate and manage any unknown variables that might appear with a new online service of this scope and size.

Q: How much will your charge for the Live Season service?
We’ll be announcing the costs nearer to the launch of FIFA 09 this fall. However, we are going to be giving everyone who buys FIFA 09 on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC a free trial of one league of their choice from the moment they activate it to the end of the 08/09 season.

Q: What stats will change on a weekly basis?
The only data that changes on a weekly basis is the form of a player. No other data will be changed weekly; we will however be making adjustments to the data with the ‘Day 1’ update and the winter update where necessary based on player performances.

On a weekly basis, players will be assigned a “player form” rating, which can be one of five ratings: bad, poor, neutral (no change), good, and excellent. For the four non-neutral form settings, we update a variety of that player’s attributes based on what position the player plays and what form setting they were assigned. Form is relative to how players are rated in our player database.

Q: When does the form get released?
The update will be available every Wednesday. The exact time of the upload will be decided in the near future.

Q: How will that affect players and gameplay?
Players who are assigned non-neutral form will feel different as their actual attributes will be changed. Form affects various skills and mental attributes depending on the player’s position. Players on excellent form will feel better, more skilled in-game. The opposite goes for players on bad or poor form.

Q: How high and how low will individual players’s overall rating climb or fall?
This depends on what player form setting the player is assigned and what their attributes are set to in the database. A player who is rated 60 overall in the database and receives an “excellent” form rating will increase a lot (up to 70 or more), compared to a superstar who is rated 90 overall in our database, who would only increase to 92 or 93 on “excellent” form.

Q: Who decides on how the stats are changed?
We have a global network of football experts who work with us every year to make sure the FIFA franchise includes the most accurate player and team data. This same team of passionate experts monitor every player in the Live Season leagues to supply in-depth data each week.

Q: Can I turn the service off if I don’t want to play with the weekly data?
Gamers are free to turn off the service whenever they want: online or offline.

Q: Can I simply reset the service and get back to the stats from the start of the season?
Yes, you can reset your squads back to the same way when you first played the game. You can decide whether you want to play with the latest form, or with the default player database: offline and online. It’s your choice each time you play.

Q: Can I play against a player that doesn’t subscribe to this service?
In online matches, a gamer with Live Season can play against a gamer who doesn’t have Live Season but only the subscriber will be able to use the data for his team.

Q: Will gamers playing online be awarded additional points for playing with a Live Season team against and a gamer who plays with the default team, where that team is higher rated?
Not this year, something to look at for the future.

Q: How long will that service last?
Live Season is a premium service that will run from game launch until the end of the 08/09 seasons.

Q: What will happen next year?
We have a number of ideas we’re working on, we just can’t tell you about them now.

Q: Why is adidas the sponsor and what where the costs involved for adidas?
When we originally conceived the idea of Live Season we knew that we were taking football authenticity in videogames to the next level. We wanted to partner with a company who matched our own ambitions within the sport and who are also on the cutting edge of development of football products.

adidas are a truly global company and the foremost football brand for apparel and equipment. EA SPORTS™ is the leading football videogame brand delivering an interactive experience that enables gamers around the world to live out their dreams virtually and play with their favourite teams and players. The association offers both companies the opportunity to leverage a mutual passion for football and the desire to bring new, unique experiences to the consumer.

We are unable to disclose the details of the agreement between adidas and EA.

Q: Is Live Season similar to Dynamic DNA
While the concept is essentially the same, the execution of both features is very different. Please see NBA Live 09 literature for more information on Dynamic DNA.

I ain't paying for it... And if you are going to do it surely you have to have it so the players who are injured are out?

well there are only 6 leagues you can use it in I am sure you will just select the prem..

and it seems it will have a form based system like PES always had which is kinda cool but I agree I wouldn't pay for any bonus leagues!

though I may be tempted to also have la liga and serie a lol

All I know is if you have all attack on you definetly see taller players in the box I didn't see any manual controls for calling up certain players.

Sorry didn't think to notice which foot they kicked with :) will be able to tell you tomorrow

Thanks a lot. This rises one minor q:

1)Can you set "all attack" tactic/mentality fast and then back to "normal" fast as well?

And thanks in advance about tomorrow. I had to drop to ball every time I had in my hands with Casillas since I didn't wanted to kick it with his right foot(thank god they at least kicked every goalkick with left foot).

Now when the Spanish La Liga is exlusive licensed in fifa 09, do you know if bernabeu is in fifa 09?

Now when the Spanish La Liga is exlusive licensed in fifa 09, do you know if bernabeu is in fifa 09?

Don't think it is, mate, I've been wanting this for a while now. Seems a shame that the greatest club in the world doesn't have it's own stadium.

Regarding the Live updates: no way I'm paying for that. To be honest even if it was free for every team I probably wouldn't want it.

INFO ON LIVE SEASON

2008-08-20

Q: Can I turn the service off if I don’t want to play with the weekly data?
Gamers are free to turn off the service whenever they want: online or offline.

Q: Can I play against a player that doesn’t subscribe to this service?
In online matches, a gamer with Live Season can play against a gamer who doesn’t have Live Season but only the subscriber will be able to use the data for his team.

That's very nice... answer a lot of our questions.

i love the new presentation. the EA swish that comes between cutscenes looks better than the one on sky sports :o

thanks again for the new info guys. i just hope we get close ups of berba and pato hehe

Sweetkilla: I know that you told us stuff about goalkeepers but I don't think you have answered this question: Are the goalkeepers still too good in saving shots perfectly aimed at the corner? Or is it easier to score that way now?

grey, thats right i remember it from match of the day saturday night. Wasnt it a grey kit Man Utd wore when Ferguson claimed players couldnt spot each other?

EA have apparently upped the player likeneses this year but Nasri of Arsenal looks nothing like his real life counter-part.

Back
Top Bottom