FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

What should I try, moving the CBs back or the whole back four?

Do I move the strikers forward as well so that they're always there?

This is why I asked, I've got no idea and I get the feeling they're all using the same tactics (i.e. glitches)...

Can you load custom formations during the match in online? In offline you can so I have custom formations I use in my club matches :)

After feeling like a cunt having bought a few packs off the marketplace, I deleted that team and started fresh. I'm so glad I did :) Played 8, won 6 drew 1 and lost 1. Awesome stuff :D

Yep if you are top four in the Prem... :SMUG: Plus the League cup too, it's just as you would in real life, or the UEFA if your top 6, just the CL name differs... :PIRATE:
But I´m playing a premier league with Liverpool and i´ve never had the chance to play a a game off the Fa Cup or Champions League, or is it that you can play them after the first season ?

The new mode is ok but im still a bit undecided. What spoils it for me is all the assisted people who play. If you are a manual player you have dont have much chance against assisted. Currently Ive played 4 Lost 1 Won 1 and drawn 2 against all assisted people. EA need to sort this out somehow. This is not a dig at assisted people at the end of the day you bought the game so you should play how you want. It does bug though when people think they are something playing as MAN U on fully assisted.

One question I have is when you purchase the game can you use the alternative commentary in the offline manager mode? Also do any of the other features go intothe manager mode like when the name flashes up with a red card or extra celebrations and so on.....

One question I have is when you purchase the game can you use the alternative commentary in the offline manager mode? Also do any of the other features go intothe manager mode like when the name flashes up with a red card or extra celebrations and so on.....

Sadly no x2

Also noticed the bug where sometimes a player is booked and you don't get told about it is still in UT :(

Thanks for the quick reply on that too bad its negative on both counts :). After playing this although I think its a great addition for some players the assisted/manual controls thing is an issue for me so I don't think ill purchase it and stick to my manual league :)

The new mode is ok but im still a bit undecided. What spoils it for me is all the assisted people who play. If you are a manual player you have dont have much chance against assisted. Currently Ive played 4 Lost 1 Won 1 and drawn 2 against all assisted people. EA need to sort this out somehow. This is not a dig at assisted people at the end of the day you bought the game so you should play how you want. It does bug though when people think they are something playing as MAN U on fully assisted.

I've been playing on Manual passing and if you work it around the field you can really tear apart people who play on assisted.

Whats the point of adding a player to your collection? Also if Buy a pack will it replace my current players and how do I now which ones it will replace?

Collection is stiker book you get like 10-20 points each time u add.

Everyone wants to fill the sticker book! :D

You get to chose who to replace :D

UT has broken for everyone now it seems. No one can even get into the mode with FIFA just hanging when you go to ultimate team from the menu.

Ok something major has happened to the gameplay through the UT download, as well as lots of little changes in the interface (check the font in the player bar while playing, and the "accessing" box in the arena when a match is loading) and its BRILLIANT. Ive been playing on professional for ages now in several MM's (anything above has blatant CPU cheats) and something has definitely changed. The AI are SO much smarter not in a CPU cheats way, but in a football intelligence way - the kind they were lacking before. Snappy first time shots and volleys are now way more common (where they should be though, not all the time), the CPU actually tries long shots now (and boy can they hit them :|), they are swinging in early crosses, using clever first touches to their advantage, plus more. The most noticeable thing is that instead of running towards the touchline and getting 'lost' like they used to and start running back along the line, they swing it in in the proper crossing zone now. They are MUCH stronger defensively as well, with defenders anticipating passes better and nipping in front of strikers to reach it, as well as being way more physical when it comes to heading contests or the like, or simply running. On the same difficulty level, in the same manager mode, the CPU are now badgering and pressuring my strikers at every level, pushing them over whereas before I would have breezed right past them. The bug in professional where they seemingly go brain dead and run straight into you with the ball is still present,but much less so. They are even showing desperation, attempting flying headers and the like. Whereas in my custom man utd manager mode (as in, entirely different team from scratch only chose united for old trafford) i was having 20 shots to 3, its now 10 vs 8 or 8 v 9. My two legged UCL tie against bayern has played out brilliantly. (they were the first games i played with this 'update' on). The first match, at allianz, ended 1-1 (before i would have won easily), with bayern snatching a goal at the death. The return leg at old trafford ended 2-2, meaning i was out on away goals. They even took a 2-0 lead (something that has NEVER happened to me on professional before) including a sharp klose volley in a situation where they never would have before. I managed to get level but couldnt find a third.

I implore you all to play some offline matches with the ultimate team installed (note: my UT isnt even working i cant get into it it just freezes on the menu, but these changes still apply) and see if you can see what im seeing.

Its been the best couple of AI matches ive had on any FIFA yet - and back to the days of pes3/4

Someone, please give me some advice before I throw my Xbox out the window. I'm getting really pissed off with this now, I'm going to give myself a hemorrhage.

Have you tried putting your mentality to "Ultra defensive" with the old direction buttons? When playing just press left on it twice. Also you can set your defenders arrows to back.

i am yet to try UT. do u have to pay for it? i keep hearing about people wanting to purchase something related to UT mode?

if im not mistake, UT mode is like football manager but with cards? how does the card system work? why not just make it like football manager instead of using cards to play it?

umm i gotta try it myself i suppose if its free

i am yet to try UT. do u have to pay for it? i keep hearing about people wanting to purchase something related to UT mode?

if im not mistake, UT mode is like football manager but with cards? how does the card system work? why not just make it like football manager instead of using cards to play it?

umm i gotta try it myself i suppose if its free

Firstly, its not free - 800 points on 360 (around 4.99 on PS3??).

But you can get a 5 match trial before having to pay.

Basically, you have to build up your 'Ultimate Team' using player cards (think Pannini Stickers!) brought using 'Coins' won by playing matches.

You create a new team and a BAP style captain that will be the best player.

There are LOADS of options that make it more complex - like loads of different types of card (players, managers, coaching, kits, stadiums, training, contracts, special power ups for in games etc) and laying your cards out in the formation allows you to work on your team chemistry (i.e. play players of the same nationality near one another to get a boost etc).

The matches are played out in FIFA with points awarded after the game for skill and coins depending on the result, skill level, home or away etc.

Between matches, you can buy bronze, silver or gold card packs with your coins (or for real money in XBL) each pack level containing better cards. I.e. bronze packs are lower league players and gold are like Ronaldo, Gerrard etc.

You can then trade cards you dont want in a virtual marketplace with other people - ebay style with a start price and a buy it now price to build up your team further.

Aaaaalso, you get a virtual sticker book for cards you dont need or dont want to trade. Pretty much everything in FIFA 09 has a card - so players, kits, boots etc can go in your sticker book. Fill a page (a team for example) and you get loads of coins. Fill all the teams in that league for even more coins... fill all the leagues in that country... well, you get the idea.

Its just massive and really addictive! The feeling of getting a shit deck of cards is just like 20 years ago when you'd get a rubbish 10p pack from the corner shop :LOL:

===

Oh, and there are video tutorials showing you how to play and new commentary for the matches from Tyldesley and Beaky Townsend.

Ok something major has happened to the gameplay through the UT download, as well as lots of little changes in the interface (check the font in the player bar while playing, and the "accessing" box in the arena when a match is loading) and its BRILLIANT. Ive been playing on professional for ages now in several MM's (anything above has blatant CPU cheats) and something has definitely changed. The AI are SO much smarter not in a CPU cheats way, but in a football intelligence way - the kind they were lacking before. Snappy first time shots and volleys are now way more common (where they should be though, not all the time), the CPU actually tries long shots now (and boy can they hit them :|), they are swinging in early crosses, using clever first touches to their advantage, plus more. The most noticeable thing is that instead of running towards the touchline and getting 'lost' like they used to and start running back along the line, they swing it in in the proper crossing zone now. They are MUCH stronger defensively as well, with defenders anticipating passes better and nipping in front of strikers to reach it, as well as being way more physical when it comes to heading contests or the like, or simply running. On the same difficulty level, in the same manager mode, the CPU are now badgering and pressuring my strikers at every level, pushing them over whereas before I would have breezed right past them. The bug in professional where they seemingly go brain dead and run straight into you with the ball is still present,but much less so. They are even showing desperation, attempting flying headers and the like. Whereas in my custom man utd manager mode (as in, entirely different team from scratch only chose united for old trafford) i was having 20 shots to 3, its now 10 vs 8 or 8 v 9. My two legged UCL tie against bayern has played out brilliantly. (they were the first games i played with this 'update' on). The first match, at allianz, ended 1-1 (before i would have won easily), with bayern snatching a goal at the death. The return leg at old trafford ended 2-2, meaning i was out on away goals. They even took a 2-0 lead (something that has NEVER happened to me on professional before) including a sharp klose volley in a situation where they never would have before. I managed to get level but couldnt find a third.

Please break up sentences, that was horrible to read, are you saying UT's improved gameplay has made it into MM for you? Weird I'm not seeing that myself, would have been very happy if it were the case as it's hard playing UT then going back to the old AI in MM :(

Paul if I see anything Southend I'll let you know, after all the Sheff Wednesday kit/badge/players myself.

Anyone got a new ball yet? I hate the default ball :(

Latest Update:
Sunday March 22, 23:15 PST / Monday March 23, 06:15 GMT

The 360 game has been redeployed and is now up and running.

The redeployment contains just the trading optimisation.

A further fix has not been deployed as we want to get more time testing it. Code has been written so that queries sent to the database that will time out before being processed will not be sent. So this will result in error pop-ups during busy times, but should make the experience faster for successful queries.

End of update

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...ate-team-updates-installation-assistance.html

There's also a bunch of info about the current problems and what can be done so worth reading.

Please break up sentences, that was horrible to read, are you saying UT's improved gameplay has made it into MM for you? Weird I'm not seeing that myself, would have been very happy if it were the case as it's hard playing UT then going back to the old AI in MM :(

Paul if I see anything Southend I'll let you know, after all the Sheff Wednesday kit/badge/players myself.

Haha sorry mate - I was excited.

Yeh I can confirm now that my UT is working again its the same gameplay thats gone into my MM and exhibition modes.

Lovin' it. My brother can see the difference in the AI as well, its not just me

Weird, I shall have to try an MM match again to see if it's the same, shame we can't also choose the new commentary, I like Tyler/Gray but being able to switch it up would be nice, one for home the other for away would be perfect!

Just saw this on the EA forums.......

SDC11755.jpg

SDC11760.jpg

SDC11758.jpg

Maybe taking things a bit too far........

Cheers - and thanks for the update link. Not had many probs with UT myself (though my created player disappeared today, but going in and out of edit mode brought him back).

Know what you mean about the ball - must be cards for new ones?

Best way to find each others cards for sale folks is: -

Post here with what you are selling the price you are looking to get.

We can then search for this player by narrowing down his club, price and rating and we can find your player :)

They do it on the FIFA forums and it works a treat.

If you search properly there are some REAL bargains out there!!!

Best thing is though, you have to buy players who fit your team and not just buy great players for the sake of it becauase team chemistry is V important :)

Makes for 10x more exciting games

Do you want to start a new thread for that then Kev so that the card trades don't get lost amongst the rest of the FIFA chat?

Post here with what you are selling the price you are looking to get.

Great idea, wrong place, IMO we should start up a trading thread instead, this thread should be kept to purely Fifa/UT talk in terms of gameplay/bugs/lag etc, in fact I'll go knock up a trading thread right now!

I'm just selling a load of shite at the moment as I only have bronze players.

I thought it was worth putting them up for sale as some fans of lower league clubs might want them - the same as I have put bids in for Southend player cards for now - till I get the Gerrards and Rooneys!

Back
Top Bottom