FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

advantage? only if you suck at Manual and still learning it ;)

there is clearly an advantage
besides that you have make no errors, on assisted you just need to tip pass button, where on manual you have to hold it for a while when you need more power
as time is crucial when getting attacked it is often the case that your pass won't get to the receiver when on asssited it would have worked
same goes for through passes, crosses, shots,...
therefore it is an uneven match!!!

there is clearly an advantage
besides that you have make no errors, on assisted you just need to tip pass button, where on manual you have to hold it for a while when you need more power
as time is crucial when getting attacked it is often the case that your pass won't get to the receiver when on asssited it would have worked
same goes for through passes, crosses, shots,...
therefore it is an uneven match!!!
Again let me repeat what i have said before. MANUAL IS HARDER THEN ASSIST. i am NOT DENYING THAT!!

BUT as you quoted from me. people who have mastered manual can play as good if not better then assisted players especialy shooting!

why in shooting? because on assist it is pre programed for you. you cant place the shot exactly where you want it whilst in manual you have full control of it much like in racing games where manual drivers do tend to accelerate better as they can change gears when it suits them whilst in auto driving you dont have the priviledge to do so,

why cant you lot understand this simple thing? you go on as if assist is harder then manual. all im pointing out is that its not cheating and to some extent depending on the manual's skill, its not an advantage either.

You cannot go off and call people who use assisted settings has 14 year old kids, people who don't understand how to play football, people who dont know their is a manual setting and people who cheat when playing assist because thats out of line and thats the part i am arguing about. Manual players constantly bashing us assist players.

lay off the bitterness towards teh assisted players here and go have fun with your manual settings and leave us be.

because on assist it is pre programed for you. you cant place the shot exactly where you want it
No, the CPU just places it in the top corner/bottom corner every shot and it's a goal :LOL:

you go on as if assist is harder then manual
No no, assist is waaaay easier than manual.

You cannot go off and call people who use assisted settings has 14 year old kids, people who don't understand how to play football, people who dont know their is a manual setting
I think you'll find we can :)).

haha u joka tim. anyways i wiill leave it has that, assist vs manual debate can go on forever really. i will try and practise manual again for a while and see if i can understand the fuss about it.

cheers and that will be the last i will debate on this matter for a while lol.

jonney mate seriously. If you cant see that Assisted Passes makes the game Easier and will give you an unfair advantage compared to someone who is using fully manual passes then I think you are playing the wrong game mate. Likewise with fully assisted shooting as Tim said the CPU does most of the hard work for you. I gave this a go last night with a mate of mine and it really highlights how scrappy and scruffy a game of football can be :) until you start getting used to it and play some nice passes that YOU actually controlled! :)

Not having a go mate but I thought I would give you my take on this.

im not denying that assist doesnt make things easier, it does. all im saying is that a person who has mastered manual doesnt gain much advantage imo againts an assisted player.

some manual players have over reacted though about assisted players though and really these manual players should be moaning about EA for putting assisted settings on ranked matches. Then again if they got rid of assisted in fifa10 i can guarantee you MORE people will be complaining then how it is now as most people play assist.

the only real solution to PLEASE everyone is to have both settings in the game unless you guys can come up with a better solution?

In terms of fulfillment Jonney a player who masters Manual Passing gets a fuller experience than someone who uses Assisted passing because of the fact the CPU does all the work for you on Assisted.

I still think Assisted should be in the game as not everyone is brilliant at football games.

im not denying that assist doesnt make things easier, it does. all im saying is that a person who has mastered manual doesnt gain much advantage imo againts an assisted player.

It is true that a player who has mastered manual controls can aim successfully and pass it in the same directions as an assisted player can, but even the top manual players are at a disadvantage because of one main reason:-

Each time they make a pass they have to power up their pass and its takes a split second to execute. This slows down their game and gives the opponent time to get a tackle in, no matter how skillful they are at manual passing. An assisted player can ping it about the pitch without any delay.

I can't see how you could argue about the above point

No, the CPU just places it in the top corner/bottom corner every shot and it's a goal :LOL:

this aint the case m8..at least from MY experience.
it all comes down to player stats... if i shoot with rooney, van nistelrooy, torres, berbatov or yakubu(overrated as hell) YEH, they do get top corner and great finnishing most of the time, if not well properly pressed, but when i play with brazilian teams or try shooting with fellaini, hibbert, piennar, etc for instance its really really hard to hit the corners evan if theyr are free to balance them selves before cracking it, mostly they shot in places where the keeper saves 99%...and thats why i still say stats make a huge impact on assisted shooting whereas on semi and manual it comes down a lot more on your aiming/powering skill.

now , said that i wish those players with worst shooting/finnishing rating were shooting a lot more outside instead of in places where the gk aways saves(abit more like PES).

Last edited:
It is true that a player who has mastered manual controls can aim successfully and pass it in the same directions as an assisted player can, but even the top manual players are at a disadvantage because of one main reason:-

Each time they make a pass they have to power up their pass and its takes a split second to execute. This slows down their game and gives the opponent time to get a tackle in, no matter how skillful they are at manual passing. An assisted player can ping it about the pitch without any delay.

Glad to see someone read my post. Jonney just glazed over :Y1

well said. now i see where it can possibly be an advantage over a manual player however its not the players fault that their playing assist in a ranked match, its EA's fault so blame them :)

thats the first actual reason where it is indeed an advantage over a manual player. the other reasons pointed out by others was not justified imo.

So who here a couple of months on is still loving FIFA 09? any comments you would like to make and any improvements you would like to see? jot them down and ill post them over at FIFA Soccer Blog.

i am still enjoying it. The patch has improved the game no end. But what i would like to see is;

1. improved match making as i get so frustrated when trying to find a game online. It can take more than 10 attempts to successfully find a game.

2. semi to be included in search criteria. Too many playing on full assists and its really cheesing me off.

3. a max star rating to be included in search criteria. If i play man utd one more time i will self harm.

4. the whole menu system to be easier to navigate. including the lobbys etc. I can get lost in there.

5. normal match view when in the arena.

6. fifa clubs to have a team creation feature where you can design your own strip and club badge and player models.

7. when in club dressing room, if there is a match going on when you enter it should make you aware instead of saying....awaiting players to enter.....so you dont sit there like a lemon wondering.

8. managers to be included in cut scenes like euro2008. Obviously as there are so many teams in the game it could just be included for the top teams. Wenger pointing at Fergie in disgust :)

9.10v10 be a pro countdown timer to be reduced. Can take ages til the match starts. And for it to be possible for the captains to boot those idiots who sit in the middle for ages and dont pick a side. How annoying is that?

10. For everybody who has paid for addidas live season and has had problems to get their mony back as i think that is scandalous.

there is my top ten. Most couls never be put in this years with a patch but i think some could.

i think i might be beating a dead horse but i would still like to see less gk "great" saves.

there are several ways to make this, but i think the main issue stil the GK AI..they still "foresee" too much(un-human) the shoots.

In addition to what you said about the menu system its an EA Sports thing in general, all their games have the same menus and its getting boring now and defiantly needs an overall.

- When I'm playing with manual cursor change I expect the cursor to change when I press the button, it pisses me of when the game refuses to allow me to change the cursor to the correct player for 2/3/4 seconds.

- Allow custom tactics to be renamed or have at least have a logo by the formation like in PES when you save a formation. It will make life easier.

- Redo the skill stick or rip off the R2 dribbling from PES, the skill stick isn't good in its current state.

- Scrap the Arena or give us a proper training mode, how are people supposed to practice corners, FK's, headers, passing moves etc with one player?

- When a game is loading and your in the arena with a player don't make that player a defender, in what way does it benefit players to go one on one with the keeper and be in control of Ledley King?

- There is no sense of achievement when a tournament has been won, the players jump up and down for a couple seconds and thats it, where are the trophy's?

I'll think of more later.

- When a game is loading and your in the arena with a player don't make that player a defender, in what way does it benefit players to go one on one with the keeper and be in control of Ledley King?

- There is no sense of achievement when a tournament has been won, the players jump up and down for a couple seconds and thats it, where are the trophy's?

These 2 in particular I whole heartedly agree on. 1st one yes what is the point of using a defender to take shots at the keeper? the only goals you are likely to score will be close range tap ins. Also likewise you win a tournament, players jump around and then you get a little newspaper article.... thats not good enough either they should do a proper trophy presentation for it.

In addition to what you said about the menu system its an EA Sports thing in general, all their games have the same menus and its getting boring now and defiantly needs an overall.

- When I'm playing with manual cursor change I expect the cursor to change when I press the button, it pisses me of when the game refuses to allow me to change the cursor to the correct player for 2/3/4 seconds.

- Scrap the Arena or give us a proper training mode, how are people supposed to practice corners, FK's, headers, passing moves etc with one player?

-Agreed with the above points. It erks me to not be able to switch players sometimes because of this "Lock" glitch.

-I also don't understand why we don't have a proper training mode. How the hell are we supposed to practice dribbles and other things if we don't have other players to try this things on. Oh wait...EA and other game developers are know to remove features to add them later. I say keep the arena mode and also give us a proper training mode.

- And I really don't understand why developers do this. You win a league or tourney and are left to see a short pathetic underwhelmed clip as a reward after all that you've achieved. Really sad. After winning an important competition, I want to see the players, coaches, staff, running around like crazy hugging each other and screaming at the fans, themselves and the camera. I want to see some players run around waving a flag or their own shirts in excitement. Heck, I even want to see random interviews of players, especially of the goal scorers. And lastly, make the trophy presentation like real it is in real life. All this things would really be a delight to behold after winning a League or Cup.

Take Note EA.

My critical improvements:

- Make tackling more difficult, having to be more skilful to take the ball to your opponent. Bad timing should lead to fouls and a player comitting 3 or 4 fouls should get a yellow card for accumulation.

- Decrease the accuracy of passing in general. A lot. Make passing very difficult for players without the required skill. Make technique a more important factor in the game (that relates to some of the following points). I want those straight passes from defense to striker out of the game if possible. I talk about those 30 meters long low passes that go to the feet. Oh, and have the defenders really DO MARK the strikers in midfield. You can always pass to the DC and he will always receive the ball. That makes gameplay too fast and breaks the midfield of any team.

- Do the changes in speed (pressing R2, pressing L2, pressing nothing) a bit more noticeable. Make things really difficult to perform according to the speed, EVEN for talented players (even Messi will fail at top speed most of the times).

- Make trapping the ball a matter of skill, so if you flick the right stick in the bad time, you can loose the control or make a bad touch.

- When doing knock-ons with the right stick, let the player change direction without "inertia penalisation" if he moves in an order of 45 degrees or so. Right now, you can't knock the ball 45º and run without being penalised. That would also make some nice driblings possible. Imagine knocking the ball one side and run the other.... just an example.

- Have the abbility to organize your team in set pieces. It's absurd that a corner is either a shot on goal or a dangerous counter EVERY time.

- IMPORTANT: When creating a torunament or league, LET US CONTROL THE CPU TEAMS!!!! That was possible years ago in ps2 and it's easy to do. I create a torunament and register 4 human players. But if one of the human players has to play against the CPU, let us take control of the CPU!!! It's 3 years already waiting for this addition.

- All the above posters have said things I would also like to have in the game.

- Oh, and multiplayer online Manager Mode.

hahahaha! couldnt have been me mate, I havent had the PS3 version since 2 days after launch day ;)

I notice that your defence is "I haven't had the PS3 version since 2 days after launch day" and not "I have never quit on anyone when they were winning" mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm interesting :D
Anyway I will believe you

I've put this in other threads but since your asking:

Pros from FIFA09:-

Custom Tactics
Need both players to agree to skip cutscenes/replays (love this)
Animations are awesome
Can see the crowd when playing (Tele - height down)
Collision System
Goalkeepers release ball quicker
Net Physics
Stadiums
Atmosphere
Faces (except eyes)
Ball Physics
Dipping volleys
Custom camera angles

Cons From FIFA09:-

Responsiveness (between button press and action happeneing)
Keepers dive dramatically when ball is trundling past them
Close control not as effective as 08
Through ball takes too long to charge up
Advantage rule flaws
Replay framerate
Replay angles (why always from below player?)
Those bloody "Lets FIFA09" signs next to goals (looks awful)
Super Cancel (player slows down when you pull out of run)
Weather issues (can't see rain, no weather in MM)
Players zombie eyes
Quick unranked match option (takes bout 5 mins to find in menu)
Player switching (can't switch to closest man quick enough)
Keepers still seem hesitant coming out when button pressed
Too many outside of the foot shots
Player movement doesn't seem free (still on rails)
MM mode issues
No replays of reason for booking after advantage has been played
First time shots (ball running toward oncoming player) should be far more powerful.
Tall defenders should not be marking posts at corners.
Half the team do the same stretching animation at the same time just before kick off.

Would like to see in FIFA10:-

Quick free kick
Real time cutscenes/celebrations/bookings etc
Longer replays
Highlights mode (ala Halo's Theater Mode)
Face Import (Tiger0 for all players (so I can put proper faces for generic faces or better faces for official faces - if possible)
Tall players automatically come up for corners
Choose whether to head the ball or volley it (it's fairly random just now)
Finesse button for outside of foot shots
Editing suite (PES)
Save replays to HD (EA Sportsworld sucks)
Quick select for set piece taker / lay off man
Set play creator
Correct fans celebrate goal (not just stand up and sit down)
If connection is lost during a game on live, say who disconnected/got cut off
The ability to save customs team line-ups and formations for online play.
Different net styles at different stadiums.
Be able to round the goalie.
The option to play online matches with specific settings (ie shooting semi and through balls manual etc) not just manual everything or assisted everything.
Create a celebration mode (I know some people hate the celebrations but i think they add something to the game)

Would love to see the cons sorted and the new ideas added

i would also like them to further expand the online club BAPs too ie 3d locker rooms integrated into Home where you can walk round a small room, discuss tactics via text or mic and also have some sort of whiteboard where the manager or captain can draw out tactics etc.

I would also like the ability to play unranked matches againts a specific BAP club(rival games),The ability to create your own player and their appearence and use that to help represent you in the BAP team.

Stats need to work from the get go for each member in the BAP club and to add new stat attributes such as number of goals scored and total minutes played in BAP

Also i would love to see the lobbies have some kind of seperate GUI that shows whats going on, on specific games being played inside that lobby ie score alerts and booking alerts much like the famous legendery mod on the first PES pc game that had online play.

I would like to scrap the sprint button and have the speed controlled fully with the leaning of the left stick, optional of course. People who likes the old way should be able to play like that. I would just like to see a lot of added options to customize the game.

* Like I said, option to walk slowly to sprint with only the left stick.
* Option to set the fill up speed of the different actions (pass, through pass, shoot and so on)
* Option to play the BAPS in normal mode like now or customized mode where you can choose options like: Manager can sub you out. If the manager wants you to be captain you should be able to say no or say yes but not play as the coach (unrealistic)

There are so many things they can add options to. Just hide it away in advaced tabs and the casual gamers wont be scared. Casual gamers have no idea that you can change to manual controls for example, this is a great example of customization that they should continue on.

I would also like to see a totally new optional control scheme that tries to follow the controls in other EA games like nhl and skate (also probably madded) where they try to eliminate the constant button mashing and focus on the sticks and shoulder buttons. Then have actions that you don't do as often on the normal buttons. Again, optional control layout. They already got foot-action on the right stick and I believe they should try to get everything that has to do with the feet to the right stick. A challenge but could revolutionize the controls of football games just like NHL did. But not force them to people who prefer the old ones.

And to top it of I'll just repeat some classic ones like:
* AI must be able to do skill tricks, as of now the AI doesn't simulate the right stick
* Save replays
* A realistic BAPS
* More than one player from each team should be able to lock on to the ball. For example in BAPS if you''re in perfect position to shoot/head the ball but the game decides that another player in your team are the one that are locked on your actions becomes screaming SHOOT! or PASS ME! which is stupid and another reason for a new design for the controls. You should never be able to press a button and get an action that you didn't expect. That is bad design and the FIFA controls are full of them. Wanna do a standing tackle? oops you passed away the ball instead, wanna slide to the ball? sorry I, the game, decided that you were in control of the ball and you now crossed the ball into the stands.

Edit: Oh and the most common one in BAPS is when you tell your team mate to pass the ball, but he already did a split second earlier and you either didn't have time to cancel the action or you didn't know you pressed after he passed, which results in you passing away the ball when it gets to you. Should not be able to happen with a good set of controls.

Last edited:
I am really miffed that we can not edit players to wear short sleeve shirts over long sleeve Under Armour tops, after all Rooney is wearing such a thing on the cover...boo EA just boo, LOL

I just wanted to give another tip to anyone who is attempting to move on to Manual passing...

At first, it is essential to turn your player switching to AT LEAST halfway up the bar. I figured out why I was having so much trouble getting used to manual before; it was because my player switching from semi setting was actually zero (all the way down). Playing manual passing with switching completely off is HELL. Even if you pass into space, the cursor won't be switching to your player in time for them to react to it properly... a way to get around this is to click L1 (player switch) as fast as you can after you pass, but this way, you'll get a lot of unintended 1-2 passing which is dangerous at times as it exposes space behind you. So, for your sanity's sake, if you are getting used to manual passing, pull player switching slider high. This will enable the pass receiver to react in time for you so you can actually move towards the ball. Now I'm able to pass as efficiently as I did in semi setting with player switching higher, and can't believe the difference this has made.

Definitely agree with the tele cam in the arena mode; how are we supposed to get better at the dribbling skills if we can only do them with the camera directly behind the player?

Definitely agree with the tele cam in the arena mode; how are we supposed to get better at the dribbling skills if we can only do them with the camera directly behind the player?
I remember saying in the review id like the Tele Cam back for the Arena mode, it was in FIFA 06 RTFWC on the 360 back in the day.

Ok when I get chance later ill look at some of these suggestions and post them over at FSB to see what people think :)

Back
Top Bottom