FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I disagree, you shouldn't be punished for something you have no control over - there's no button to make your player intentionally handle the ball or one to try and move the hands out of the way, meaning a handball would not be your fault. Giving away penalties or dangerous free kicks which result in goals through them would be the most frustrating thing possible in a football game.

I agree Rob it was insanely annoying in the last Pro Evo I properly played, I think PES6? Unless there is a much more detailed body-reaction engine (which I doubt it because it'd be far too technical to include and far too hard to use in-game), and much better referee AI (knowing when strikes of the hand / arm are unavoidable and situation-changing or not), then it's a pointless addition to any football game in my opinion.

No it won't have included any of last nights or Tuesday nights match
(gameklip's spoiler and this spoiler are about last nights results)

Semi shooting is actually awesome. When I first played the game and went straight on semi, I found it extremely hard to control my shots, as the shooting on FIFA09 has had a complete overhaul from 08, so going back to assisted for the first 3 weeks let me get used to it and now I've gone back to semi, it really is awesome. So much more realistic and you have to think a bit more about your aiming and shooting.

:)).

yeh i've only just started using manual passing and shooting and manual crossing and it's so much better. many more situations arise. it just got too easy on assisted. crossing especially. shooting was just a formality before. but now 1-1's are thrilling :lol

infact i've even seen a few more new animations from trying to control ball's slightly out of the player's comfort zones.

this truly is a great engine. if they work on manager mode for next year, it will be the best football game bar none. ever.

I wish EA would sort out the non stop pressing people deploy. Its ridiculous that people can just keep pressing non stop without getting tired. At Eurogamer every game I watched of multiplayer Fifa everyone was using that tactic. You cant even pass the ball out from goal kicks.

i agree, you SHOULD get more tired from using pressing a lot

for example in the spurs arsenal game last night, spurs pressed arsenal high up the field all through the match but were visibly knackered as a result, conceding sloppy goals because of it

they way to counteract it is to use the 1-2-run. never try and control the ball with people pressing. 1-2 and over the top will undo them because they always leave space behind when they go so tight onto you. i have a team tactic of fast build-up and risky passing in the final third to undo the pressers. my defence just holds off and counters them so fast when they lose the ball.

it's the same for real life too.quick passing and movement ahead of you.

I saw someone posting a little while ago about people quitting near the end of matches and you not getting credit for the victory. I've had this happen at least 4 or 5 times now, and it's really pissing me off. I'm 10-8 and have been stuck there because these assholes quit in like the 80th minute, how is this allowed? I was winning 2-0 in the last game in the 80th min and the guy quits.... then has the audacity to invite me to another game!!!! Even worse than EA and not sorting out these bugs is that there are so many chumps out there who have 0 gaming honor! if that exists, which apparently it doesnt.

I really don't understand why some people (including me) would get an automatic 3-0 victory when the opponent quits on you while others don't. It makes no sense.

I hope they'll fix this with a patch for you guys. I know I would be pissed if that happened to me.

Last edited:
I think he means that if you play on semi/manual you will have to switch to assisted yourself to stand a chance against these people, because assisted passes/shots are so perfect. That's why I don't play ranked matches, your ranking on a video game means absolutely nothing yet some people take it so seriously.

Spot on. I was playing this Be A Pro Clubs crap. FIFA 09, online, is one of the worst football games I've ever played. EA took the progess made with FIFA 08 and completely fucked it up for this year's iteration. I wanna smash my keyboard right now just thinking about all the shit that I've experienced in the last two days (I've only had it for two days because I just got my 360 back) but it's seriously an assisted passing, assisted shooting, assisted throughball, Ronaldo, Fernando Torres, POS.

10 v 10 is a joke online even if your team plays it's position because it's SOOOOO easy to just press, press, press. Even in 1 v 1 matches a buddy of mine appears to be using some seriously high aggression and pressure tactics (like, the meters have to be close to 90) and I can do NOTHING. I have a tactic that I used against the CPU where Evra'll make bombing runs down the field, and players will actually show for passes and such. None of that matters when I play 1 v 1 though. Tactics are absolutely thrown out the window when playing someone who presses all the time.

I sincerely hope that Manager Mode is playable with the tactics because I really, really, really, don't like this game. It may just be like this online, but i can't tell you how many times I've seen either myself, or a teammate of mine, in the face of relentless pressure have Berbatov just get knocked flat on his ass by someone like Xavi. This is physicality? It's just people falling all over the place every 5 seconds. Free kicks are next to impossible to take now (I was pretty good at them in 08) and it just looks like everything that they built on with FIFA 08 has been pushed aside for super fast arcade football. Maybe being able to put the game on "Slow" would work, but we'll never know because they don't give the option to do it online for 10 v 10.

I've only played 8 1 v 1 ranked games and won 5 of them but none were any fun. Slowing the game down and passing around isn't possible with fools running at you non-stop (when will they get tired?).

I had a guy, from the kick-off, run straight through my entire team with Ronaldo. Each time i selected a player he would just jump back before starting to run and i couldn't catch him. He only scored off this one time and I won the game 3-2 but it's the mere fact that EA thinks that this should be possible that pisses me off. I have to worry more about stopping one man from running through my team than I do about the other 9 guys running the field. And 10 v 10, if I haven't already complained enough, is just about passing it to the fastest guy and running through the defense (all the while using assisted passing and throughballing).

THIS GAME DOES NOT REWARD PLAYING REAL SOCCER.

Last edited:
Well, I've just played the PS3 version of my friends (I own the 360 version) and had some comments... note that my friend had changed the control scheme to D-pad for moving instead of the analog stick (which frankly if I had the PS3 version, I'd do too, I hate those sticks).

- First, graphics... man, much worse than the 360's. Of course, it's 720p opposed to 1080i that I use but the difference was immense.

- The slowdowns blow. I hardly noticed slowdowns on the 360 version but for PS3 it is evident on every goal kick up the field.

- I changed the controls to semi/manual (semi for shot/pass, manual everything else) that I use for my 360 right away and... I found that it was absolutely NO different from playing on assisted! It was most likely because of the D-pad scheme to move and aim, but I did not miss a single pass, nor did I skew a single shot. I overpowered some of the shots of course, but the ones that had the right amount of power hit the target EVERY time. Through balls also seemed to hit the target more and long balls, too (saw the dreaded through ball bug, however). Crosses were VERY easy to hit, instead of the 360 version where most of my crosses go awry. Basically, accuracy of everything increased tenfold using the D-pad. It was almost like playing WE/PES. How odd...

- Dribbling and using the trick stick seemed MUCH more responsive on PS3. I was able to pull off some trick moves that actually worked for a change.

- Because of these things, the games were ridiculously easy, even on WC. Could not believe how much of a difference a D-pad can make as opposed to the analog stick. I'd actually try this for the 360 and see if it works the same way, if the D-pad wasn't so horrendous and I don't want to make things any simpler...

Well,

- I changed the controls to semi/manual (semi for shot/pass, manual everything else) that I use for my 360 right away and... I found that it was absolutely NO different from playing on assisted! It was most likely because of the D-pad scheme to move and aim, but I did not miss a single pass, nor did I skew a single shot. I overpowered some of the shots of course, but the ones that had the right amount of power hit the target EVERY time. Through balls also seemed to hit the target more and long balls, too (saw the dreaded through ball bug, however). Crosses were VERY easy to hit, instead of the 360 version where most of my crosses go awry. Basically, accuracy of everything increased tenfold using the D-pad. It was almost like playing WE/PES. How odd...

- Dribbling and using the trick stick seemed MUCH more responsive on PS3. I was able to pull off some trick moves that actually worked for a change.

Hmmm I'm going to check this out, I have never played with the D pad on a footy title...

Anyone else tried or plays with the pad back this up?...

Last edited:

+ 87435603876756317865784036

this game doesn't feel rewarding at all.

first, you have to play against inter, united or chelsea ALL THE TIME.
These teams are SO overpowered that make MILAN look like a bunch of sissies falling all over the place.

I've almost had it with this game... and it's a shame, for it's potential, and me having spent 70 euros for it

:/

i have played with the d-pad but went back to analog, because using r2+analog in fifa is what keeps my sanity when going back to r1+d-pad in pes.

I never use assisted, even online and I never use Man U , Inter < Barca etc. But my record is about 70% wins. If people use assisted it's just more of a challange for me and it makes me a better player.

Love it.

Just beat a guy online who was ranked in the top 900. He used Man U and I used Villa I won 3-2 away.

Spot on. I was playing this Be A Pro Clubs crap. FIFA 09, online, is one of the worst football games I've ever played. EA took the progess made with FIFA 08 and completely fucked it up for this year's iteration. I wanna smash my keyboard right now just thinking about all the shit that I've experienced in the last two days (I've only had it for two days because I just got my 360 back) but it's seriously an assisted passing, assisted shooting, assisted throughball, Ronaldo, Fernando Torres, POS.

10 v 10 is a joke online even if your team plays it's position because it's SOOOOO easy to just press, press, press. Even in 1 v 1 matches a buddy of mine appears to be using some seriously high aggression and pressure tactics (like, the meters have to be close to 90) and I can do NOTHING. I have a tactic that I used against the CPU where Evra'll make bombing runs down the field, and players will actually show for passes and such. None of that matters when I play 1 v 1 though. Tactics are absolutely thrown out the window when playing someone who presses all the time.

I sincerely hope that Manager Mode is playable with the tactics because I really, really, really, don't like this game. It may just be like this online, but i can't tell you how many times I've seen either myself, or a teammate of mine, in the face of relentless pressure have Berbatov just get knocked flat on his ass by someone like Xavi. This is physicality? It's just people falling all over the place every 5 seconds. Free kicks are next to impossible to take now (I was pretty good at them in 08) and it just looks like everything that they built on with FIFA 08 has been pushed aside for super fast arcade football. Maybe being able to put the game on "Slow" would work, but we'll never know because they don't give the option to do it online for 10 v 10.

I've only played 8 1 v 1 ranked games and won 5 of them but none were any fun. Slowing the game down and passing around isn't possible with fools running at you non-stop (when will they get tired?).

I had a guy, from the kick-off, run straight through my entire team with Ronaldo. Each time i selected a player he would just jump back before starting to run and i couldn't catch him. He only scored off this one time and I won the game 3-2 but it's the mere fact that EA thinks that this should be possible that pisses me off. I have to worry more about stopping one man from running through my team than I do about the other 9 guys running the field. And 10 v 10, if I haven't already complained enough, is just about passing it to the fastest guy and running through the defense (all the while using assisted passing and throughballing).

i have to agree about the on-line ranked and 10 v 10.. MM is pretty good for me so far, especially with two vs the cpu, and 2 v 2 local is pretty good, but online ranked matches are shit. i think assisted is really shit in this game.. the pace is too fast as well, i liked the speed of 08

Anyone else put FIFA in today and noticed the new option in Xbox Live > Online Game Modes?

"Champions of Gaming Tournament" - interesting...

I saw someone posting a little while ago about people quitting near the end of matches and you not getting credit for the victory. I've had this happen at least 4 or 5 times now, and it's really pissing me off. I'm 10-8 and have been stuck there because these assholes quit in like the 80th minute, how is this allowed? I was winning 2-0 in the last game in the 80th min and the guy quits.... then has the audacity to invite me to another game!!!! Even worse than EA and not sorting out these bugs is that there are so many chumps out there who have 0 gaming honor! if that exists, which apparently it doesnt.

I actually finished a game winning 2 - 0 and the guy quit AFTER the final whistle. No record of the game in my stats.
I'm not overly fussed about stats but it should have been acknowledged as a win.

Played a few exhibition matches last night, legendary difficulty. I must say, CPU makes unrealistic, impossible passes, scores impossible goals, it's really hard to defend as my players are just unresponsive like they need CPR or something. Every attack is intercepted by the opposite side. Really frustrating. The gameplay is fluid but CPU makes some impossible plays down the line, very unrealistic. Also, sometimes CPU makes many odd, weird mistakes that a 4 yerold wouldn't make. The more I play FIFA 09 the more I don't like it. I won't even talk about PES 09.

GUYS I NEED SERIOUS HELP (and not coz im a gooner)

I have lost Fifa09. I was playing a be a pro match when suddenly the screen went black and the game crashed. Had to turn off the ps3 and now i have re booted my ps3 does not recognize the disc. Its not showing up at all. Have tried another disc and it works fine. Its just the fifa09 disc. Any help or where can i go to get this sorted.

Played a few exhibition matches last night, legendary difficulty. I must say, CPU makes unrealistic, impossible passes, scores impossible goals, it's really hard to defend as my players are just unresponsive like they need CPR or something. Every attack is intercepted by the opposite side. Really frustrating. The gameplay is fluid but CPU makes some impossible plays down the line, very unrealistic. Also, sometimes CPU makes many odd, weird mistakes that a 4 yerold wouldn't make. The more I play FIFA 09 the more I don't like it. I won't even talk about PES 09.

I think no game will be realistic at a highest level difficulty. There is a limit to how well an AI can play realistically against a human opponent I think. The AI has to compensate by raising the stats and minimize the margin of error and all that. Every game is the same, whether it is FPS, Sports, Fighting, or whatever.

With that said, it's good for a challenge once in a while. I just tried a legendary game against the CPU on semi/manual settings and I can definitely still hang with them (tied 1-1 but lost in shootout) but for sure they don't play realistically. It has more to do with their attacks than defense, which I can still penetrate. If I used asissted then I'd still be able to cream them. :D I wouldn't mind teams like Chelsea, Man U, Barca play that way but I'd obviously won't want championship teams play that way. What I do for my Manager Mode is adjust the difficulty level to the level my opponent's team plays. So League 2 teams would play at Semi-pro difficulty, Championship/lower rank premiership teams on Professional, and best teams on World Class/legendary, with difficulty going up a notch if the opponent is playing at home. I find that things are quite realistic this way.

More things I've noticed when playing with the D-pad...

- I find that the CPU fouls/cards have gone down significantly, where as when I play with the analogue they'd get 6-7 fouls and 2-3 cards a game. I've played about 10 games now on the D-pad setting and I've gotten fouled maybe 3-4 times with NO good free kick opportunities. Most of the times, I'd get muscled off the ball with no foul called.

- It can be very difficult to play defense. I'd go in for a tackle that would work when I use the analog and the tackle would totally miss.

These two things probably show the limitations of using the D-pad, where there are only 8 possible directions. Most likely, the CPU only fouls or gets tackled at a certain angle that is very difficult to achieve with the D-pad. Same with the passing and shooting; with limited number of directions, the game most likely automatically chooses the best available direction for you. Overall, I believe that the D-pad oversimplified the engine and makes the game play more like WE/PES, which takes away from the true FIFA feeling.

Last edited:
The devs must be playing a different version of this game, in every game I have situations where players are just being stupid. I just lost a 1 nil to Chelski but with a few minutes to go in the game I fed Bent a through ball and his pace got him past Terry as he was running onto the ball, he takes a few strides and then decides to change direction and run away from the fucking ball. He would have been clean through on goal and I could have got a point he wasn't being a dick!

Simple things would have been spotted if they did proper QA testing.

Well, I've just played the PS3 version of my friends (I own the 360 version) and had some comments... note that my friend had changed the control scheme to D-pad for moving instead of the analog stick (which frankly if I had the PS3 version, I'd do too, I hate those sticks).

- First, graphics... man, much worse than the 360's. Of course, it's 720p opposed to 1080i that I use but the difference was immense.

- The slowdowns blow. I hardly noticed slowdowns on the 360 version but for PS3 it is evident on every goal kick up the field.

- Because of these things, the games were ridiculously easy, even on WC. Could not believe how much of a difference a D-pad can make as opposed to the analog stick. I'd actually try this for the 360 and see if it works the same way, if the D-pad wasn't so horrendous and I don't want to make things any simpler...

i said all this when the demo was out.

the PS3 version is almost like a different game. 360 version is bloody hard to pull the tricks and shots off. i think it has to do with the controller though. they've tailor made the game to the DS3. it's the only explanation. dunno what's up with the visuals though. stll a great game on PS3 however.

Love it.

Just beat a guy online who was ranked in the top 900. He used Man U and I used Villa I won 3-2 away.

ahaha nice one. i used Man city most of the time and beat people using Man utd and Barca.. tbh i use decent teams (arsenal AC milan, Man city). my record is something like 8wins and 7losses. i lost some stupid games though (silly errors. i need a weekend to just plough into online. i work weekends though. :(

Back
Top Bottom