FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Re: FIFA 09 - Discussion Thread

Adam said that the build played at I34 was more recent than the one suff played in vancouver either way they will be at the PES Stand more than the fifa stand and I embark on my journey to leipzig on monday the no.1 thing I want to check out is now response times! after it been a mixed bag of opinions @ 134!

Yeh I now, the build I played was newer then the build Suff played, I wanted to now if Adam was going to go to Leipzig since he also played the same build as me and it would have been nice to hear his views on a newer build. (But since I now know he isnt going its irrelevant) :((

why is there a severe lack of info coming out of FSB. Thought we would have seen some more footage or pics. Suff did say he was going to post stills of the improved player likenesses but i have yet to see any. Maybe its because there has been news on Pro Evo and after all thats where their loyalties lie so Fifa09 has been put behing in the priority department. Its been all about the logo comp for the past few days.

I think Placebo has already given a reason.

I'm not sure if they've all been posted yet, but Suff has to receive them from Adam, edit and convert them, then upload to my FTP and then I have to mirror them and post them with hugely entertaining and fantastic blog posts, it's quite time consuming you know ;)

Also considering Adam works at Ubisoft and is no doubt in the midst of GC preparations.
Suff is in the midst of doing his PHD.
I'm working for Bohemia Interactive in the midst of GC preparations, plus I'm way behind schedule on my Fifa09 data editing tasks (due in no small part by getting zero help from Sheffield Utd fans).

So there's my list of excuses, pretty decent I'm sure you agree ;)

Last edited:

Yeh I now, the build I played was newer then the build Suff played, I wanted to now if Adam was going to go to Leipzig since he also played the same build as me and it would have been nice to hear his views on a newer build. (But since I now know he isnt going its irrelevant) :((

BUMP

Honestly i cant wait for FIFA 09 now! After being given a taste and now not having a footie game is just unbearable :((

did you notice any super cancel in this game..

on the pes series you could cancel out of scripted runs, which would allow you to let the ball run across your body, redirect an attackers scripted run, stop running after a ball that is going out of play, and this worked really well on pes giving near total control of the player

fifa 08 had a cancel, which allowed you to stop running towards a ball going out of play, but it was far from ideal for letting the ball run across your body or stopping scripted runs

wondering if there is an improvement on this in fifa 09?

I think I remember suff saying if you ran in the direction you wanted to quick enough you could break out of those scripted runs well hopefully that is the case will be able to tell you later on this week and as for the nets I think they will be the same as 08

From the collision it looks like they are using some kind of engine though

From the collision it looks like they are using some kind of engine though

what are you talking about ? fifa 09 they made a collision system for it but it would be 10x more impressive with euphoria each tackle been different... as they would be buying NaturalMotion also...

and if EA start to use Euphoria in their Sports Games (if they are not already in fifa 09) it will be ridiculously amazing! every tackle been different to the other just brings endless possibilities to a game like Madden and NHL

Last edited:

There would also be no more clipping. If a player was shooting but a leg got in between he would hit the leg (and probably fall over) since animations are dynamic. One can only dream.

Even if they buy the technology it would take a couple of years I think before they manage to fully implement it. I guess they could use it in small amounts in the beginning like when players get tackled. But to fully implement it would probably be pretty hard to get it realistic. In GTA 4 and from what I have seen from the Indy and Star Wars games everyone seems to have really bad balance. If you touch someone in GTA they start wobbling around trying not to fall to the ground.

Oh well, it's always fun with rumours like this.

This evening I've played FIFA 08 again, this time with manual controls. It took 2 à 3 matches to learn it, but my last match (Arsenal - Rome) was the best i've ever played. The trough passes are just brilliant. Now it's very hard to wait until FIFA 09 comes out !

I'll put this in here because I'm genuinely worried about putting it in the PES thread for fear of being called a fanboy or God knows what...

I've been playing PES2008 on the PC and PSP this week, with the PC version edited to slow the players' speed and acceleration down 35%, and the PSP version being a decent speed straight out of the box.

THREE THINGS PES DOES BETTER

1) In PES I was under pressure from the defence so I just hit a hard low shot from miles outside the box in desperation. It went in (not because of poor goalkeeping or a bug, because it was a good hard shot), and for a second I was thinking "that shouldn't have gone in, that's not right" - because in FIFA it is impossible to score from certain angles, the keeper has it covered 100% of the time. Which obviously isn't realistic, and also means in PES practically every goal is different, whereas in FIFA practically every goal is the same.

2) Crosses in PES (on the PSP at least) are hard, well-struck crosses with venom, and if you get your head on it, you can really smack it into the net. On FIFA it's very hard to hit a hard cross, and bullet headers are very very rare.

3) The CPU AI in FIFA and Euro is terrible. PES does it so much better, not because it's particularly spectacular programming but because it's done properly. In FIFA, as any Premier League team, you beat every team on semi-pro and every team beats you on professional (obviously I'm generalising, some players will play on world class difficulty I'm sure, but this is based on what me and my friends all experience). So you choose Liverpool and against the likes of Wigan, or even Championship sides, you lose (not just "occasionally" or "most of the time", 99% of the time).

In PES I chose Portsmouth and I was drawing most games and winning/losing 1-0 on occasion. I chose Liverpool and I've won five in a row - on the same difficulty. THAT WOULD NEVER happen in FIFA. People say it's because the stats mean less in FIFA, and I agree - buy good players in PES and it makes a massive difference, in FIFA you might as well keep the same team forever. But I think the bigger problem is that the difficulty levels are only concerned with going easy on you or beating you, no matter what team is against you.

THREE THINGS FIFA DOES BETTER

1) The physics and the engine is stuck in last-gen territory. You can say "give them time" but Konami have said themselves that a new engine won't be around until PES2010 at least. It's not just a bit old-fashioned, it's very old fashioned, with passes dropping onto an invisible rail and being "sucked in" to players' feet, deflections magically dropping to the CPU over and over, and no chance of interrupting the script 90% of the time. What pisses me off the most is those situations where YOU KNOW what's coming. If the game lets you win a tackle in a certain area, the ball is going to deflect away to another CPU player. If it lets you win it again, it will do the same again. That's how the good teams win; because the game gives them the most luck compared to other teams. Against Wigan more tackles will result in you winning possession, against Arsenal it will take miraculously powerful deflections and land at another player's foot time and time again. FIFA is so much more realistic and so much more fun to play, IMO.

2) While the AI obviously has some kind of balance in PES, with good teams winning and bad teams losing, there are so many scripts that ruin the match, and limited controls that don't allow deviation. In PES, if you try to pass to a teammate and the game decides the CPU is going to get it, rather than go slightly off-course and the CPU player intercept it, it goes straight to the CPU player - which is not only infuriating but it looks ridiculous, as if your players have all been bunged.

3) I've missed six open goals in PES within a couple of games, all because when I tap the shoot button (as lightly as is humanly possible, honestly), it flies over the bar. Now I know stats mean more in PES than they do in FIFA and you need fantastic players; but if Peter Crouch, a Premier League striker, can't roll a ball into the back of an empty net, then something is wrong.

This is about the controls though; everything is so automatic and after playing FIFA/Euro for 12 months and going back to PES, it's like stepping back in time. Everything is decided for you. Now depending on your point of view, that could be a realistic thing or totally unrealistic; you could argue that a Premier League footballer is good enough to do everything "automatically", it's not the same process as Sunday League footballer, and perhaps that's how FIFA feels when you take on a team like my beloved Tranmere and you occasionally misplace a pass or put too much weight on a ball and kick it off the pitch. But personally I prefer that because it's MY fault the pass went wrong, MY fault I just knocked someone in row Z's teeth out. Not because the CPU decided it was "fate".

THREE THINGS NEITHER DOES BETTER

1) When the CPU needs to cheat, both games give invisible barriers to opposition players and drug your defenders. You can stand next to a player, press the stab-tackle button, and he will either bounce off like he's ran into a wall or run in the opposite direction. If you play another human, it doesn't do this.

2) The Master League in PES hardly represents a real league structure; you can't buy players in your first pre-season, the finances ("points") are fake and don't mirror a real currency which makes it difficult to know just how much you're paying, you can only play in the first or second division (whereas I like to take teams from the lower league to the top league in FIFA and Football Manager), the teams that come up from the lower league aren't teams from the country you're playing in meaning you have a Premier League with French/German/Scottish etc. teams in, you can only manage one club in your career etc...

But in FIFA, the manager mode is sterile, especially at a lower level. That level of player all feel the same as I've already mentioned, so you might as well not bring any new players in. Every team's stadium at this level is the same, so mix that in with the fact that every player feels the same, and you're left with the feeling of playing the exact same match over and over. Also, there's no playoffs, which is ridiculous in a fully-licensed game, and even though you can switch clubs, you can choose any team you want - so after a season with Chester City you can manage Chelsea.

3) Because of the above CPU frustrations you turn to online play. In PES players disappear and reappear all over the pitch, the netcode is awful, and lag is a big issue (looking at the problems Konami had with Metal Gear Online, this is something that is effecting all Konami games). Also, in PES, all you can do is one-off games. No leagues or competitions - the online leagues and Euro knockout cup in FIFA/Euro were things I have wanted to see in a football game for longer than I've been a member on Evo-Web.

In FIFA the reaction times are a waste of space, and the same (but to a lesser effect) in Euro, along with matches that last too long and ridiculous scorelines because of the attackers having too big of an advantage over the defenders.

This was all about gameplay, hence why lack of teams in PES, poor faces in FIFA etc. wasn't talked about; because gameplay comes first as far as I'm concerned

Bang on there CB! (Jack ;)))

Out of all three games (FIFA 08 (PS3), PES 2008 (PC), PES 2008 (PSP)), I preferred PES 2008 on the PSP. It seemed to have a good balance of those attributes you've identified. The only problem that stuck with me on the PSP was the d-pad/analogue stick... those damn controls.

Sorry for taking the thread out of context.

On the subject of 'Super cancel', has anyone seen/heard anything about dummies in Fifa 09? (i.e. letting the ball run through the players legs when receiving a pass)

This used to be a great feature in PES.

On the subject of 'Super cancel', has anyone seen/heard anything about dummies in Fifa 09? (i.e. letting the ball run through the players legs when receiving a pass)

This used to be a great feature in PES.

I seen to remember hearing something to this affect, together with a function for running along a pass rather than trapping (which you would do in PES by holding R1 and the same direction as that of the incoming pass.

Still haven't seen a video of it though so it is only theoretical at this point.

BUMP

did you notice any super cancel in this game..

on the pes series you could cancel out of scripted runs, which would allow you to let the ball run across your body, redirect an attackers scripted run, stop running after a ball that is going out of play, and this worked really well on pes giving near total control of the player

fifa 08 had a cancel, which allowed you to stop running towards a ball going out of play, but it was far from ideal for letting the ball run across your body or stopping scripted runs

wondering if there is an improvement on this in fifa 09?

Sorry man i forgot to reply earlier, I actually didnt try the supercancel if im honest, didnt really think of it when i was playing it, but what i did like was when someone passed you the ball if it was or or heavy they would slow down to get it or would stretch a leg to try and get it under control if it was over hit.

Bang on there CB! (Jack ;)))

Out of all three games (FIFA 08 (PS3), PES 2008 (PC), PES 2008 (PSP)), I preferred PES 2008 on the PSP. It seemed to have a good balance of those attributes you've identified. The only problem that stuck with me on the PSP was the d-pad/analogue stick... those damn controls.

Sorry for taking the thread out of context.
well said CB. totaly agree. psp imo is the best version of football.wish they could implement wifi online multiplayer.

everything CB said i totaly agree and cant add anything to it. well said

If it's a mode... it can't be something to do with HOME as that's not out yet - maybe it's a motion sensitive thing then where you tilt the pad left/right and do things like add curve to the ball or you pull the pad left/right to make the keeper dive around in a sort of goal keeper challenge.

Like those old PES challenges where you take free kicks and aim for the targets.
thats not realy a mode but more like a exclusive "feature" though.

LOL Jonney is dying for an exclusive PS3 mode but is trying to contain his excitment LMFAO.

its gonna be interactive league FFS

if anyone thinks it will be a mode that will add alot to the game then they are in crazy land

Back
Top Bottom