FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Is anyone else having points taken off them in BAP Online for nothing?

I make a pass and i'll get +Pass... Then a while later it will flash up -PASS then -POSITION then -DEFENCE despire me being in position, not making any passes and the other team not even attacking us so i cant defend.
I haven't had that, but I have had it where it randomly stops giving me + points when I do something good but will give me - points when I do something wrong.

God, I changed my controls so that I now have shooting on semi...BLOODY HELL it's hard!

I think I make it harder because I use the D-pad to move, so my aim is more or less always outside the post.

Not too sure what to do tbh.

God, I changed my controls so that I now have shooting on semi...BLOODY HELL it's hard!

I think I make it harder because I use the D-pad to move, so my aim is more or less always outside the post.

I'm learning semi too - and I think that's the key. It's a learning process and it's not immediately obvious how to do it, so the temptation is to give up and go back to assisted, because it's already known and comfortable. But I'm determined to make a go of using semi, and in time full manual.

For what it's worth, my early impressions of the semi-manual shooting mechanic could be boiled down to the simple formula:

semi-manual aim is effective in direct proportion to the length of time you press in the direction you wish to shoot

which I think most people already know, but re-educating your gaming muscles to obey after a lifetime of assisted shooting is another matter.

It IS possible to get shots on target with semi-manual, but you have to 'feather' the direction whilst shooting, i.e. release the direction button a lot quicker, otherwise the ball flies wide. A brief tap to dink it past the keeper; a slightly longer press (and release) to find the corner. That kind of thing. Of course there are a myriad other factors in play as well - all the usual ones of angle, speed, momentum, footedness,defensive pressure, etc.

Yeah, well there's nothing we can do about it though is there?

These are the choices we have for 1v1 online:

1) Just play a quick match, and 99% of the time play against some Man United whore who just passes the ball up the pitch to Ronaldo, runs, then just does an outside of the boot shot into the top corner or something.
2) Try and search for or create a fully manual match, and either have nobody join yours or not find another manual room
3) Play mates, but if they're not online or don't want to play at that time then you're stuck with 1 and 2.

As somebody else said - on assisted, this is just a kids game and PES probably beats it as a fully assisted game. 4 one touch passes up the pitch from defender to striker, then a 20 yard sprint, then a shot across the keeper, followed by a robot or backflip is just for kids and I find no fun in that whatsoever.

Assisted should be done away with in all football games forever - you wouldn't have a first-person shooter online with auto-aim, you wouldn't play a flight simulator with auto-pilot etc. It's the same thing really, there's no football brain or anything required with assisted, it's a joke.

You say about it not being realistic because it's your fingers, not your feet. Does that mean that no video game is ever realistic as you don't use the body parts you would do in real life? Pretty silly thing to say really.

PERFECT POST.

:RANT:

What happened to the keeper rush function - so frustrating!!!!. I sit there squeezing the triangle button in ample time and the keeper just stays there like a lemon fixed on his line. He never comes out even if he's one on one. So many goals conceded because of this offline and online.

I'm on the verge of declaring FIFA 09 online redundant for me. Every game is so unresponsive. Even 10v10 is becoming an issue with the lag, numerous bugs and constant cut-offs from the EA servers. There are also numerous bugs online that I encounter in almost every game e.g. changing kits randomly at the ready screen even though I select a particular kit, not responding to any subs I make - even when the ball goes out of play, the STUPID advantage rule in general and not to mention the bug where my formations are changed at random and players put in random positions e.g. my midfielder being in goal when it's a penalty kick and my striker being moved to a LB position, I mean wtf.

Why is this happening to my most anticipated game... :CURSE:

Last edited:
EA did it on purpose is my only conclusion, If these bugs werent in the game then (if you didnt care for MM) why would you buy 2010?

m8 i tried... semi shooting on the d-pad is impossible..the angles the d-pad offer u are just too few...so there will be ocasions like running straing foward to the goal, that the d-pad wont offer u directions to aim at the far side of the goal...

so i suggest if u wanna use semi shooting , u must use the analog stick.

:RANT:

What happened to the keeper rush function - so frustrating!!!!. I sit there squeezing the triangle button in ample time and the keeper just stays there like a lemon fixed on his line. He never comes out even if he's one on one. So many goals conceded because of this offline and online.

I'm on the verge of declaring FIFA 09 online redundant for me. Every game is so unresponsive. Even 10v10 is becoming an issue with the lag, numerous bugs and constant cut-offs from the EA servers. There are also numerous bugs online that I encounter in almost every game e.g. changing kits randomly at the ready screen even though I select a particular kit, not responding to any subs I make - even when the ball goes out of play, the STUPID advantage rule in general and not to mention the bug where my formations are changed at random and players put in random positions e.g. my midfielder being in goal when it's a penalty kick and my striker being moved to a LB position, I mean wtf.

Why is this happening to my most anticipated game... :CURSE:

This is happening to you online in 10 v 10 and 1 v 1? I have to wait until my 360 gets repaired (just broke again the day after I got it replaced for the 3 red lights) but reading these comments are making me want the game less and less. I'm a soccer junkie and I couldn't imagine a situation where I wouldn't be buying FIFA (I have all of the next-gen FIFA games so far) but given it's lackluster MM, online 10 v 10 would be the only place I would play the game. This is really disheartening to hear. I'll definitely still end up buying the game, probably on launch, and of course wait until my 360 is fixed but damn, so many problems.

This is the first time that I've gotten on the message boards to gauge people's opinions though so maybe these sort of bug complaints are part and parcel. I have noticed the for EA though, '09 seems to be the year of extremely buggy and rushed games. Features thrown in just to have something to print on the back of the box in bold text and not very fleshed out. I know for Madden people in particular it's almost assumed that once the game comes out there will need to be a patch. It's kind of ridiculous.

I could already kind of tell that this game might not be so hot when I noticed the cartoonish running styles and the first touch and turning that seemed to be a bit too responsive. I hope it doesn't ruin the game but I really wasn't feeling the demo too much and thought that they may have made a few too many tweaks to the gameplay engine this time around.

But now of course we've got 2010 to look forward too. It'll surely be the best FIFA yet...right?

Yeah, well there's nothing we can do about it though is there?

These are the choices we have for 1v1 online:

1) Just play a quick match, and 99% of the time play against some Man United whore who just passes the ball up the pitch to Ronaldo, runs, then just does an outside of the boot shot into the top corner or something.
2) Try and search for or create a fully manual match, and either have nobody join yours or not find another manual room
3) Play mates, but if they're not online or don't want to play at that time then you're stuck with 1 and 2.

As somebody else said - on assisted, this is just a kids game and PES probably beats it as a fully assisted game. 4 one touch passes up the pitch from defender to striker, then a 20 yard sprint, then a shot across the keeper, followed by a robot or backflip is just for kids and I find no fun in that whatsoever.

Assisted should be done away with in all football games forever - you wouldn't have a first-person shooter online with auto-aim, you wouldn't play a flight simulator with auto-pilot etc. It's the same thing really, there's no football brain or anything required with assisted, it's a joke.

You say about it not being realistic because it's your fingers, not your feet. Does that mean that no video game is ever realistic as you don't use the body parts you would do in real life? Pretty silly thing to say really.

Good post. Although, regarding the auto-aim for a FPS, I do believe GTA IV incorporated this, and it was deemed a blessing by the countless reviewers and gameplayers, and the majority of them actually paying particular mention to it and how it was far better being able to automatically target enemies/public than mess about with it manually. So it does work to help and aid gameplay, sometimes ;)

I'm still on assisted at the moment on Fifa, too. I will move on to Semi, but as I'm a PES addict, I'm still getting used to everything "Fifa". Loving it at the moment, though.

Last edited:
It isn't auto aim in GTA though is it? I believe it's assisted aim (which thankfully can be turned off) same as many other games.

Assisted shooting to my mind is the same as playing an FPS with an aimbot running in the background, and gloating about an assisted screamer is that same as using an aimbot and gloating that you got 5 headshots in a row.........

i use semi on most things but i disagree with comparing assited shooting to auto aim. Auto aim you lock on to a target and always hit..in FIFA assissted doesnt mean u hit the target every time or it goes in every time there are too many other factors that can effect the shot...? I play on assissted with my PES mates on fast for a good old fasion arcade game of football..and i enjoy it just as much :O) ..

IMO EA will never take this feature away as they will lose the less hardcore gamers as manual and sometimes semi if your not used to it are frustrating as hell and not everybody has got hours and hours to dedicate to mastering it. At least by having this option in place FIFA is not only a superb football simulator but also a superb pick up a play straight out ot the box for novices or newbies to the franchise ( like me :O) )

I'm learning semi too - and I think that's the key. It's a learning process and it's not immediately obvious how to do it, so the temptation is to give up and go back to assisted, because it's already known and comfortable. But I'm determined to make a go of using semi, and in time full manual.

For what it's worth, my early impressions of the semi-manual shooting mechanic could be boiled down to the simple formula:

semi-manual aim is effective in direct proportion to the length of time you press in the direction you wish to shoot

which I think most people already know, but re-educating your gaming muscles to obey after a lifetime of assisted shooting is another matter.

It IS possible to get shots on target with semi-manual, but you have to 'feather' the direction whilst shooting, i.e. release the direction button a lot quicker, otherwise the ball flies wide. A brief tap to dink it past the keeper; a slightly longer press (and release) to find the corner. That kind of thing. Of course there are a myriad other factors in play as well - all the usual ones of angle, speed, momentum, footedness,defensive pressure, etc.

I am not sure I agree that this is how the gameplay mechanics are programmed.

I don't think it matters whether or not you release the analog stick during semi manual aiming.

If you release the stick before the player shoots, I think 1 of 2 things will happen.

1. You release the stick before the game freezes your aim direction (there is a certain point before the player shoots where you can no longer aiming in another direction). This results in a shot down the middle save for inaccuracy from the player.

2. You release the stick sometime after the game freezes the aiming, and you releasing the stick does not change anything, since you releasing the aim stick has no effect on the aiming since it's already been frozen.

Having some kind of weird "hold in a direction for a certain amount of time to nudge the aiming more and more towards the post" doesn't make any sense. Especially since you can easily tell that quickly changing direction of the aiming (from say, left post ro right post), before the point in time where the aiming is frozen, allows for full control, as opposed to the "inertia" type thing you describe. If what you describe is how it works, then a quick 180 reversal of the aiming just befor teh shot is taken wouldn't be possible.

If you want to aim with the analog stick on semi, just aim it in the right direction, not really that complicated. If you for some reason play with D-pad, then there might be other dynamics involved (though I saw no mention of the d-pad in your post).

on the question of semi/assisted/manual controls i have no problem with anyone using whichever they enjoy - all i want is for EA to give the option to search for people on the same settings.

I suspect the reason EA have only put the option to select all manual or all assisted in is that they believe to allow anything else would leave too many possible combinations and no-one would ever find a game but as far as i can see from reading this and other forums a majority of people play using semi on everything except through and long balls which are on manual.

I would have thought it would be possible to have a couple of other options available to choose from to make games more even.

I like to think i am not bad at fifa - not great by any stretch of the imagination but at the moment i play semi for everything except through/long balls both of which are manual. More often than not i lose online. I wouldn't mind overly but most of the time i dominate the match, have many more shots on goal and lose to very obviously assisted opponents.

2 other things that annoy me at the moment are that occasionally it feels to me that in online matches the outcomem is decided before a ball is kicked - i know that sounds like sour grapes and probably i'm just being paranoid but eg last night i played a game - the other player was very reckless. He had 2 players sent off in the first half. I took the lead early in the second half - over the course of the match i hit the bar/post 9 times - 9 times in match ffs. In injury time despite me setting the attack/defence control to one notch down from neutral he intercepts a ball on the halfway line and my defence are totally absent - no-one behind the ball. He shot from fully 35 yards as i was chasing him down and the ball flew into the top corner like a laser guided rocket.

Into extra time and i hit the bar/post another 4 times - that's 13 times in the course of one match! On to penalties and of the 4 i took he saved 3! (i accept that the penalties were fair - i was just rubbish at them)
Overall it just felt like there was nothing i could have done to win the match. The stats at the end showed i had over 60% possession and about 18 shots on goal. My opponent had 3 shots in the whole match including extra time.
If this happened once in a blue moon then fair enough - as a Partick Thistle supporter i have seen real life games where we have lost despite playing the other team off the park!! But this has already happened a good few times since i got 09.

This brings me on to the other thing annoying me. I have set the game to send me emails of the results so i can see how i am doing in terms of points etc. When i looked at that match it told me the score and that it was ranked and that i am level 1 and my opponent was level 4. It also told me that i lost 42 points due to the loss.

In my next game it was a pretty scrappy affair - i edged it 1-0 after a fairly dull match.
I checked the email - i am still level 1 - my opponent this time was again level 4. Only difference being that for winning this match i was awarded a measly 23 points. I have seen this a lot in the points system - generally i get significantly fewer points for winning than i lose for losing. Why is this - at the rate i'm going i think i need to win my next 20 matches just to get back to the 500 points you start with - lol

Sorry for the rant.

Cheers

Had some of my most fun online matches yesterday. Two against FreMM which were both decided by penalties after exciting footie for 120 minutes. He defends like beavers!

Had some randoms to play aswell and it was much fun. Beat Man Utd, Lyon & Villa before some chap with a strange name (icecreamandahug2) decided to wipe the floor with me as Villa, 4-0! Every Villa player was stronger, faster, taller etc. I know it probably resembles real-life haha. I think quite a few folk go for them as it's long balls up to Carew all the time, knocking down to a pacey support winger. Four curling finesse goals. I was crushed :DUMMY:

I don't think it matters whether or not you release the analog stick during semi manual aiming.

If you want to aim with the analog stick on semi, just aim it in the right direction, not really that complicated.

I disagree. When I press and hold the direction with semi-manual shooting, my shots skew wildly wide. When I 'feather' and release the direction whilst shooting, my shots are on target. (I use the analogue stick btw.)

If 'just aiming it in the right direction' were as unproblematic as you suggest, there'd be no real difference between semi-manual and full assisted aiming - and there's a world of difference.

Of course there are plenty of other factors in play, but I find the major one is the duration of directional pressing whilst shooting.

This is happening to you online in 10 v 10 and 1 v 1? I have to wait until my 360 gets repaired (just broke again the day after I got it replaced for the 3 red lights) but reading these comments are making me want the game less and less. I'm a soccer junkie and I couldn't imagine a situation where I wouldn't be buying FIFA (I have all of the next-gen FIFA games so far) but given it's lackluster MM, online 10 v 10 would be the only place I would play the game. This is really disheartening to hear. I'll definitely still end up buying the game, probably on launch, and of course wait until my 360 is fixed but damn, so many problems.

This is the first time that I've gotten on the message boards to gauge people's opinions though so maybe these sort of bug complaints are part and parcel. I have noticed the for EA though, '09 seems to be the year of extremely buggy and rushed games. Features thrown in just to have something to print on the back of the box in bold text and not very fleshed out. I know for Madden people in particular it's almost assumed that once the game comes out there will need to be a patch. It's kind of ridiculous.

I could already kind of tell that this game might not be so hot when I noticed the cartoonish running styles and the first touch and turning that seemed to be a bit too responsive. I hope it doesn't ruin the game but I really wasn't feeling the demo too much and thought that they may have made a few too many tweaks to the gameplay engine this time around.

But now of course we've got 2010 to look forward too. It'll surely be the best FIFA yet...right?

In essence both mate. 10v10 is great if you have a bunch of mates to play with, I advise you sign up to an online group. In the majority of games I don't have any lag problems at all. However when it does lag, it lags bad. Don't get me wrong I can live with a little bit of lag as I understand it's difficult in any online game to completely iron it out. The thing that really gripes me is those bugs that I outline above that spoil the game, especially when you want to make subs towards the latter stage of the match and some of your players are knackered. 10v10 is a lot of fun though, that alone is worth getting FIFA for.

Now 1v1 is a completely different kettle of fish, it is REALLY unresponsive, think FIFA 08+few seconds more to respond. Now that is unforgivable as it is worse than last years installment online.

Offline is where FIFA is great for me. Everything is fine really and I've had loads of fun on the manager mode. In general though FIFA offline is still riddled with bugs, which I hope get ironed out in a future patch. I can handle a few dodgy advantage decisions, but that goalkeeper rush function really kicks me in the balls.

Last edited:
thanks for the quick reply.

also if i create players is there anyway of getting them into the classic or world xi's

and when playing online what are the two numbers that appear for instance - 4237 + 31 is that your online score and the amount of points you just won? if so how does it work as some timesyiou might beat a team even if you are a lower ranked as in a 3 star team beatuing a 4 star team and you get maybe one or two points more???

i am new to fifa and addicted, i have alwyas been a pes man but played the new demo and was disgusted. i thought id try fifa and havnt looked back. i cant believe it online got 8/9 in magazines i would give it about 95% its one of the most addictive games ive ever played!!

m8 i tried... semi shooting on the d-pad is impossible..the angles the d-pad offer u are just too few...so there will be ocasions like running straing foward to the goal, that the d-pad wont offer u directions to aim at the far side of the goal...

so i suggest if u wanna use semi shooting , u must use the analog stick.

I agree. Semi shooting is where it's at for me using the Analog stick. The margin for error is perfect and where you point is exactly where the ball goes if done right. I usually go with All Manual with Semi-Shooting. Works great for me.

I agree. Semi shooting is where it's at for me using the Analog stick. The margin for error is perfect and where you point is exactly where the ball goes if done right. I usually go with All Manual with Semi-Shooting. Works great for me.

im trieng to adapt to it too...

but one thing that is bugging me is if this will evan up all the players, making their attributs count for nothing...do u feel easier to hit shots with nistelrooy than mikel with semi shooting?

if thats the case and u can still differ players shooting attributes ill really try to adapt to the shitty PS controles analog...

My issue with assisted is that there are way too many shots on target, and the 1 on 1 situations are almost automatcly goals.. also, headers fell 100% scripted...its ugly.

Last edited:
Semi is perfect realism, it takes the game from a 7/10 to a 10/10 in my opinion, it really does transform the game into something completely different.

The argument reminds me a bit of web standards, you can't suddenly force everyone to use the newer browsers because there would be uproar. What you have to do is by default provide the newer more advanced features and give people the option to fall back to what they are used to, if desired. In FIFA terms that would mean having semi/manual enabled by default, therefore encouraging people to take on the challenge and realism it offers, but at the same time having assisted in there for the casual gamer, the person that only cares about winning at all costs, or people using dpad etc.

This argument regarding shooting on semi is really interesting. Personally I'm torn between the two, I can see what Trance is saying in that there is a cut off point, but it I suspect it is programatically possible to take the length of direction press into account -before- the cut off point and still allow a last second change.

It's difficult to know for sure without a proper training mode, but if feels to me like it takes both direction and length of direction into account, rather than one or the other. The other problem is this isn't documented in the manual or anywhere for that matter, which is further evidence of EA's refusal to make this style of playing more mainstream.

Sometimes I will hold the direction for too long/too far and it will drag miles wide, but then I have experimented by doing quick direction presses and still managed to miss the target when I would expect a shot closer to the keeper, so clearly there are multiple factors involved and I'm not any closer to figuring out exactly how it works.

Is there no adaptor to enable the use of 360 controllers on the PS3?

Personally I hated using analogue sticks for Fifa07 on 360 but it didn't take long to adapt, is it a case of old learned bad PES habits or are the PS3's analogue sticks really that bad? I've never held a PS3 controller in my life so wouldn't know ;)

Personally I hated using analogue sticks for Fifa07 on 360 but it didn't take long to adapt, is it a case of old learned bad PES habits or are the PS3's analogue sticks really that bad? I've never held a PS3 controller in my life so wouldn't know ;)

if there is an adapter please tell me, cause it will be a must buy for me....

its really bad to control the PS analog when u are on stress situations...the analog doesnt "stick" to your finger such as the 360 analag, not to mention the PS analog is in the secondary postition, the d-pad is at the main position, in the 360 its the oposite.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/ps3-hacked-to-accept-xbox-360-controller/

The PS3 accepts a lot of other 3rd party controllers but unfortunately doesn't recognise the 360 controller, you need a driver and have to access it through Fedora. I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2 working perfectly on my PS3 (without the rumble function). There's a clone for the 360 controller called a "Chillstream" that works great though. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Logitech-...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:
I really need to start a MM game off. I've gotten a bit bored of BAPS after my first season and don't have any desire to rush to FIFA and fire it up again.

In MM, if I start as Las Palmas, can I move jobs to Freiburg for example?

Back
Top Bottom