FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I can't believe it was like that in 08 and they didn't sort it out for 09, as I've been saying, for me it ruins the game because the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" saying doesn't apply to me, I couldn't care less if I beat people I just want to play a realistic game. In the games I played on assisted I got no satisfaction from scoring whatsoever, sometimes I would press a random selection of buttons in my own area and it would result in a perfect 30 yard through ball to my wingers. I mean it's worse than Pro Evo like that.

My only hope is that given the fun I had in 2 minute games on the demo, maybe the offline modes will offer some kind of consolation.

I'm just really fucked off that they seem to be oblivious to this problem, I've posted on EA but if they didn't sort it out this year I hardly think it's going to be changed next year.

Anyway, as it seems I can't refund my xbox given it's been used now, where can I find you lots gamertags etc?

I'm the same as you mate, I don't really get any satisfaction from scoring a goal from an assisted shot, or one set up by an assisted pass.

I just find it even less satisfying getting annihilated by some cunt who thinks they are great at the game when the CPU does all the work for them and then run around for ages celebrating, then watch all their replays. I have offline and some mates to play against still though, but this against random people is no fun at all for me now.

Oh and the fact that EA fucked up the manual through balls, on 08 they were more effective than the assisted ones, with them powering up fairly quickly and the assisted ones usually being easy to intercept. Now, the manual through balls take forever to power up, meaning you have had the ball taken from you when in the process of powering up the pass and the assisted ones being much more accurate, harder to intercept and even curling round your defenders when the best passers play them.

Last edited by a moderator:
about the whole team situation with wales not been in it, i noticed this with last fifa that japan weren't in last one nor this one, people may wonder what im doing going japan. well its either south korea or japan, there like nigerians, with technique and 70's hair cuts

Haha :PP.

Nobody I have played has used manual, and I think most have been using assisted rather than semi too because every single pass seems to have been straight to feet. I use semi and quite a few passes get misplaced (probs because im Stoke).
As I don't know if the other person is using manual or not, I can't really take the risk of playing them with manual myself, as the advantage they get from it drives me insane. I have all but given up trying to beat people who use assisted on manual settings, it's pretty much impossible on 09. On 08 it was a bit easier.

If I get an AI teammate to pressure the opposition while I try and block a passing lane, the AI teammate doesn't tackle properly.
If I try and tackle the opponent with a player i'm controlling, the AI teammates don't block passing lanes and sometimes watch the ball roll right in front of them instead of taking it.

That means that in 3 or 4 passes, they can be from their keeper to their striker, with a one-on-one with a defender, and if they have a bit of pace then almost every time it's a goal (especially from assisted finesse shots across the keeper).

As the saying goes:
"If you can't beat them, join them"
I'm afraid I am having to do that now and play on mostly assisted myself, and it's a shame as FIFA is at it's best and most realistic when it's played on manual.

I may start up another league, with fully manual controls only, so we get some fairly realistic games and see who the best player really is :)).

I use semi and manual on everything :DD

Semi on passing, shooting and crossing and manual on the other ones - which I cant remember now?

I am not going to join them on using assisted - I am sticking with it! YEE HAA!!!

I just had a couple of matches against my bro on semi and it was absolute class, perfection almost. It makes it even harder to swallow. I have good tolerance but will I sit there why some cunt presses through ball three times to Torres, "outside of the boots" it into the top corner and then runs about doing the robot, no thanks. Like that, it's a game for kids and nothing more.

If anyone who plays semi can post there gamer tags or something I will add you, have added mine to my profile.

I was theorising a little, and I think the reason they've not allowed a semi option is because there is no way to set all options to semi. Through balls and lob passes can only be manual or assisted. This is just really stupid imo, either add semi for those options or just create another control settings "type" that is semi everything and manual for anything that doesn't have semi.

First time I've managed to play Fifa 09 at a mates house. Its really good! I only got to play 3-4 games but the animations are so fluid and crisp, its a joy to watch being played as well as playing the game itself. Slide tackles are great I must say! I love the fact the ball can end up anywhere depending on how cleanly you win the tackle. One time I slid in on my mate and he fell over a few yards away, but the ball carried with his body so he was in a perfect position to stand up and carry on with the ball. Just a small thing like that can really impress your experience when playing the game. Passing is spot on and timing & pulling out a weighted through ball can be nearly be as satisfying as scoring.

Some minor response times that niggled me after playing with the very response PES over the years but as i said, only niggles and nothing I couldn't overcome with practice and getting used to the game.

I'm not sure if you can edit players individual stats but if you can't then thats a major let down for me after editing and tweaking players attributes over the years on PES. I suppose you have to judge the developers judgment if that is the case.

I hardly got to experience the game as a whole including the BAP mode and manager mode (this is surely better than master league?) so I look forward to playing more at my mates house in the future :P

I'm the same as you mate, I don't really get any satisfaction from scoring a goal from an assisted shot, or one set up by an assisted pass.

I just find it even less satisfying getting annihilated by some cunt who thinks they are great at the game when the CPU does all the work for them and then run around for ages celebrating, then watch all their replays. I have offline and some mates to play against still though, but this against random people is no fun at all for me now.

Oh and the fact that EA fucked up the manual through balls, on 08 they were more effective than the assisted ones, with them powering up fairly quickly and the assisted ones usually being easy to intercept. Now, the manual through balls take forever to power up, meaning you have had the ball taken from you when in the process of powering up the pass and the assisted ones being much more accurate, harder to intercept and even curling round your defenders when the best passers play them.
i cant believe that you guys are getting so upset for this reason. i mean you say that you get mad because someone who uses assisted beats you, but you know that it was your choice playing him on manual. im actually trying to play on manual for the last few days trying to feel the satisfaction and the realism that everyone is talking about and i have lost every singlegame but i feeel no satisfaction when i score. i mean if i was controlling the player or passing or shooting with my leg i would say there is more realisn but its just your fingers. anyways all it takes is time to master the skill

i cant believe that you guys are getting so upset for this reason. i mean you say that you get mad because someone who uses assisted beats you, but you know that it was your choice playing him on manual. im actually trying to play on manual for the last few days trying to feel the satisfaction and the realism that everyone is talking about and i have lost every singlegame but i feeel no satisfaction when i score. i mean if i was controlling the player or passing or shooting with my leg i would say there is more realisn but its just your fingers. anyways all it takes is time to master the skill
Yeah, well there's nothing we can do about it though is there?

These are the choices we have for 1v1 online:

1) Just play a quick match, and 99% of the time play against some Man United whore who just passes the ball up the pitch to Ronaldo, runs, then just does an outside of the boot shot into the top corner or something.
2) Try and search for or create a fully manual match, and either have nobody join yours or not find another manual room
3) Play mates, but if they're not online or don't want to play at that time then you're stuck with 1 and 2.

As somebody else said - on assisted, this is just a kids game and PES probably beats it as a fully assisted game. 4 one touch passes up the pitch from defender to striker, then a 20 yard sprint, then a shot across the keeper, followed by a robot or backflip is just for kids and I find no fun in that whatsoever.

Assisted should be done away with in all football games forever - you wouldn't have a first-person shooter online with auto-aim, you wouldn't play a flight simulator with auto-pilot etc. It's the same thing really, there's no football brain or anything required with assisted, it's a joke.

You say about it not being realistic because it's your fingers, not your feet. Does that mean that no video game is ever realistic as you don't use the body parts you would do in real life? Pretty silly thing to say really.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeh but for me realistic is something lake for example a driving game where you drive with a steering wheel. this is my personal opinion and i dont think many people support it, but i also respect your opinion

i kinda get both sides but i must admit that i feel alot better on manual, took a bit of time getting used to but when i score really nicely worked goal, gives you satisfaction like, yeah, i scored that bad boy of a goal all myself.
only thing im still trying to get used to is when on manuel, u like direct everythin where fifa 08 mine was default which was automatic im sure, like in 08, throwing the ball out to the player seems really simple? well like getting grips with manual everything, i always throw the ball out. its a challange but i like a challange, this way it'll improve how good i play :)

All these gripes about the online are really starting to get me down, lol. Is it really that bad. I usually only play 10 v 10 anyway for the same reasons I think that most of you dislike 1 v 1, but on that topic, does the 10 v 10 mode devolve once again into the opposition choosing two ANYs and just using the 2nd defender press all over the pitch?

i have one question...
what is that small rectangular box in the upper left hand corner, in a 1 v 1 online match?
inside, it has like a fast-forward symbol, followed by a "1/2" and a tick-box.

it show up at the opening cutscene, and usually on cornerkicks, and offside calls.

rob, with all do respect, what if u play with the d-pad like me??

i mean, when i had the 360, i aways used semi or manual settings because the controler was perfect to play with the analog stick, now im playing in a ps3...i just cant use the PS controler analog, so i gotta use the d-pad....if i set semi shooting or manual all my shots will go wide because of the simple fact that the d-pad only has 8 directions..so when aiming at the goal its either strainght at the middle os wide...

im currently using all assisted setting except crosses, and i see no otherway of playing the game using the d-pad, and im loving the game atm, i just dont like the way the AI attacks, they force the arial play(crosses) too much, and 95% of their goals are scored by headers...i would like to see the cpu more dangerous from outside the box.

rob, with all do respect, what if u play with the d-pad like me??

i mean, when i had the 360, i aways used semi or manual settings because the controler was perfect to play with the analog stick, now im playing in a ps3...i just cant use the PS controler analog, so i gotta use the d-pad....if i set semi shooting or manual all my shots will go wide because of the simple fact that the d-pad only has 8 directions..so when aiming at the goal its either strainght at the middle os wide...

im currently using all assisted setting except crosses, and i see no otherway of playing the game using the d-pad, and im loving the game atm......

Agreed. I also use the d-pad to play and assisted is a must. Keep it in the game. If you don't like playing against assisted players, then don't. Why all this fuss?

Tell you what, start a thread and call it "Manual Players Only," add those people to your friend's list and play with them online.

i have one question...
what is that small rectangular box in the upper left hand corner, in a 1 v 1 online match?
inside, it has like a fast-forward symbol, followed by a "1/2" and a tick-box.

it show up at the opening cutscene, and usually on cornerkicks, and offside calls.
It means your opponent has pressed A and wants to skip that cutscene/replay.

i still annoy with the sidestep whenever my player or cpu player going to receive a pass...it just a step to just throw his legs to stop the ball,but instead he turn and face the passer,and look the ball gone out... :TD:

Online 1 vs 1 was shitting me out of it's arse last night.

First game, I select Spurs, then my opponent changes from West Ham to Barcelona. Game starts well, plenty of dangerous play. However, my goalkeeper throws the ball straight forward at Eto when I selected to throw to Corluka on the wing. Goalie was stranded, 0-1. I dominate play, hit post and have a shot actually trickle onto the line. He gets a massive deflection in the centre circle and Eto runs free to do the usual curl shot into the top right corner. I get the game back to 2-2 with hard work, then just after I've equalized the game freezes for 2 seconds. Upon "unfreeze", I see Messi is through on goal and my keeper is out of position. Easy tap-in, 89th minute. I lose 2-3.

Then set up a game against a guy using Man City. I was 3-0 up within 20 minutes then he quit after the third goal. He was getting no joy with my custom tactic. One of the goals was mad as fuck, a chip on the turn from inside the box, felt like slow-motion all the way.

I go for another Create Ranked Match. Again I'm Spurs and the opponent sets up Barcelona. Fuck it, I thought. This guy's going down.

However... He played really poorly. Struggling to pass around his own half, the ball was constantly going out for a throw-in or corner to me, and I can't believe I only scored two. However, the fact was he got one of those massive deflections in midfield leading to a breakaway goal. He also benefited from a convenient uber lag around the edge of my box and then equalized with his second shot of the match. Then as I was passing on the halfway line, Woodgate decides to de-attach himself from the ball and float away up field. Eto arrives, Eto fucks off towards goal. Eto curls ball into top right hand corner. 2-3 loss. Again.

I turned the thing off.

If you use dpad/assisted that's fine, it's your decision and you should be able to play like that. That is not the problem, the problem is that people who prefer semi/manual are forced to play against you and have no ability to choose games where people are using the same settings as them.

If you use dpad/assisted that's fine, it's your decision and you should be able to play like that. That is not the problem, the problem is that people who prefer semi/manual are forced to play against you and have no ability to choose games where people are using the same settings as them.

It is really annoying - I played a guy who went Man United. I was Arsenal and it was so blatant he was on all assisted.

I passed him off the park - but I am still hit and miss with my semi shooting so I missed every chance I had - hit the post a couple of times.

His tactic was to get it to Ronaldo and just charge at my defenders and hopefully he comes out with the ball after it. He got 3 goals this way - just steaming at my defence and then luckily the ball bouncing to him after the challenge. So he is one on one and with assisted shooting you just need to go a bit diagonal run at the last minute. This fucks up the keeper coming out as the keepers coming out are shit and he finishes easily.

I lost 3-0 even though I had superior possession and shots on goal.

Now I know I need to improve my shooting - but it takes a certain amount of skill to finish with semi.

It just gets a bit disheartening when you come up against people like this.

Although - I am finding at the moment for every one of these people, I get a couple of great games. So it is evening itself out at the moment.

It is a shame people always pick Barca or Man-Utd. I have Villa as my profile team,and before that it was Forrest and the amount of people who ended session is staggering,but if you are say Man-utd they want to play but expect you to change teams and also keep flashing the " Ready " button. They shouldn't cancel really because i would"ve been the easiest win they'll get.:D

Haha :PP.

Nobody I have played has used manual, and I think most have been using assisted rather than semi too because every single pass seems to have been straight to feet. I use semi and quite a few passes get misplaced (probs because im Stoke).
As I don't know if the other person is using manual or not, I can't really take the risk of playing them with manual myself, as the advantage they get from it drives me insane. I have all but given up trying to beat people who use assisted on manual settings, it's pretty much impossible on 09. On 08 it was a bit easier.

If I get an AI teammate to pressure the opposition while I try and block a passing lane, the AI teammate doesn't tackle properly.
If I try and tackle the opponent with a player i'm controlling, the AI teammates don't block passing lanes and sometimes watch the ball roll right in front of them instead of taking it.

That means that in 3 or 4 passes, they can be from their keeper to their striker, with a one-on-one with a defender, and if they have a bit of pace then almost every time it's a goal (especially from assisted finesse shots across the keeper).

As the saying goes:
"If you can't beat them, join them"
I'm afraid I am having to do that now and play on mostly assisted myself, and it's a shame as FIFA is at it's best and most realistic when it's played on manual.

I may start up another league, with fully manual controls only, so we get some fairly realistic games and see who the best player really is :)).

I'm on semi everything apart from shooting

and thats only because you cant win against people online when they have assisted shooting on

I'm surprised but after a week of Fifa 09 I'm actually enjoying playing the cpu in this game. The cpu AI and tactics is much improved over 08. Playing the Bundesliga on world class is a real challenge.

My online experiences so far have been mixed. 10 v 10 against randoms is a joke (10 CF's, no-one can play a position, no-one passes, kids shrieking in your ear, etc...). 10 v 10 against friends is better but even then some people can only pass forward rather than knocking the ball about and keeping possesion. Playing as a LB or RB can mean being neglected the whole game. 1v1 is where it's at for me.

Back
Top Bottom