FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Really appreciate you clarifying this for me mate. I beleive you have the PS3 version. I will be playing the 360 version..Wonder if this still applies for 360 version. I certainly hope so since I would like for my edits to make it online as well.

Anyone 360 users can confirm this please?

yeh i have the ps3 version..but im confident its the same on 360, dont see a reason why it wouldnt be.

...might I suggest that there is no such enforcing whatsoever like "the EA people claim", and is just a lame excuse for EA to ship two games in the same year? ;)

Like, "the same EA people" who said that the player number feature was removed because it is a feature which was used by few people, and had a high maintenance cost?

Or "the same EA people" who claim that next-gen FIFA doesn't go to the PC market because "current PCs can't handle it", instead of admitting that EA doesn't really dedicate that much of their budget to PC because it doesn't sell as much as the console games? ;) This latter argument in particular angers me. I seem to be the only person with a technical background who can't believe that they are claiming this. They are turning their lack of effort budget-wise into a marketing hyperbole :LOL:

Honestly, this is by no means a criticism. What I want to point out is that, in the end, it's all just business and money.

I understand why they don't want to pour money into the PC version, as well as why they would want to release two games a year - Konami does the same in Japan (I remember when they even released three, so...).

I would totally understand that Konami would rather sell a UEFA CL game on the side, but then again, there will be that rumored DLC which people will have to pay for if they want to have it... Maybe that's their version of things this year.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

My sentiments exactly. I was actually just asking this question in the PES board to see if they would know more about Konami's decision to include it as a mode within' the game. Surely when EA get the license back they won't be able to try and release a separate game yeah? I wouldn't put it past them to try again, but maybe they're banking on all the little kids that buy the game not knowing what PES is and not knowing that they actually offer the mode in-game. It's really annoying though when you know that EA can do 100x better than Konami with the license and if they were to put that in the game as a part of Manager Mode even that would be amazing.

Do you only get 5 spaces to save replays on your EA account??
Yes. That is why it's a good idea to download the FLV file and then upload it to LiveLeak.com and share with us in the FIFA09 Video thread, and you can post as many as you like :)).

Yes. That is why it's a good idea to download the FLV file and then upload it to LiveLeak.com and share with us in the FIFA09 Video thread, and you can post as many as you like :)).
Yep, that's what I do as well now. I save all my video .flv files and only leave the best ones on EA Football World :)).

My cracking debut goal is definitely staying on there :D.

Yep, that's what I do as well now. I save all my video .flv files and only leave the best ones on EA Football World :)).

My cracking debut goal is definitely staying on there :D.

I am interested in performing this task. Would you be so kind to explain in detail how I would go about doing this straight off my 360 console?

BAPS pissing me off a bit!!

I am a attacking right mid - Yet whenever I get a first team start for Arsenal they put me in defensive midfielder!!

I just scored two goals from that position and got a 9 - I am back in the reserves. The manager said in the paper that i wasn't a reserve player I was too good - yet he keeps putting me back in the reserves!!!!

The objectives are shit aswell - first team match against man u - we had objectives of beat them by 3 goals. I was to have 4 shots on goal and get an 8. Keep in mind that I am a defensive midfielder - so In order to get the shots on goal I need to be out of position - so my rating of 8 is in danger.

Along with the fact that it stops recording succesful passes and stuff whenever it wants to!!!!

Its really frustrating - But I do love playing it. If only they sorted out all this little shit it would be fantastic.

Oh well, I guess I will have to put up with it :ROLL: the rest of BAP is really good.

Only one thing is annoying me at the minute and that's playing as Tranmere in MM. On "professional" I'll win every game 3-0, on "world class" Northampton play with unbelievable strength, they seem to have a man everywhere, half your passes are as weak as piss so that they can collect them all, and they end up winning 1-0 because of said intercepted passes.

It's so much more fun playing as Liverpool in MM, it's a totally different game. Play Stoke, win 2-0, play Everton, draw 1-1, play Arsenal, lose 2-0. So much variety, easy games mixed in with real challenges. Playing in League One there's very little variation between each team's strength - understandably, I suppose. But it's really frustrating trying to beat anybody.

I can understand why people never use lower-league teams online, the reactions are chopped in half (as if they don't take enough of a reduction when playing online) and every shot rises like a balloon attached to three other balloons. But I'm determined to stick with Tranmere and move to Liverpool at a later point in my career, seems stupid starting your career at the top - where else is there to go from there?

I've managed to win one game out of seven so far in my new save, and that was only because Yeovil have half a star less than us. I was jumping for joy though, hopefully I can win another one before I get the sack.

Last edited:
Just got my 360 back yesterday, thankfully (I thought) in time for FIFA 09 next week here in the U.S. I'm playing FIFA 08 today and in the middle of a BAP match i get the message "disc is unreadable." I try to open the tray, doesn't open. I turn the system off and then on again, tray doesn't open. Call MS, system needs to be sent in again. 2 weeks. What the f*ck?

One question for the game.Important for me.
How good is the online mode (1 vs 1) compared to multiplayer offline (1 vs 1)?
I ask this because of my experience on previous pro-evo games i played (mostly pes5, the last good pes game). I mean when i played online it was not as responsive as offline and feel a little scripted. I remember also that in online mode there was no crowd in the stands.
Is fifa online that way or somethink similar?

After my above moan at how impossibly hard it is to be Tranmere on "world class", I had to play Leeds United in the Carling Cup at home. Tranmere are 1.5 stars, Leeds United are 2.5 stars. I was thinking it would be my last game of the night.

I edited the formation to bring the entire midfield back four or five "notches", changed the defensive arrow of the CMs to "high", and created a new bunch of tactics; modified counter-attack to be more defensive. On top of that, I switched my through-passing onto manual, to try and stop the constant interceptions.

I won 2-1 with a penalty in the last minute of extra time. I have never, ever gone that beserk over a game before in my life, there is a big scrape across the wallpaper opposite me from some retarded side-kick/flop/roll I performed. I used to think PES was satisfying when you beat the "cheating bastard arsehole shitting computer" - didn't come close to that.

Half-time I was 1-0 up, I intercepted one of their passes (the irony) and knocked it to Ian Moore who knocked it on twice, knocked it to the opposite side of the keeper and in it went. Within ten minutes of the second half starting they scored, a cross was headed away straight onto their winger's foot again, who crossed it in for a second time and someone popped up to head it in despite heavy pressure (it felt like one of those goals you could do nothing to stop).

Michalik got sent off for an awful tackle from behind - it was a terrible challenge - and so I went onto the default "counter-attack" tactic, thinking "stuff the defence". From that point on we had more possession but couldn't get the ball into the box (never mind into the net). Last minute of extra time, I hit a fantastic manual through-ball right onto Craig Curran's foot, and the Leeds CB had to make the tackle or else I would have buried it. He mistimed it and the referee pointed to the spot. Bang, 2-1, next round here we come.

What a game.

One question for the game.Important for me.
How good is the online mode (1 vs 1) compared to multiplayer offline (1 vs 1)?
I ask this because of my experience on previous pro-evo games i played (mostly pes5, the last good pes game). I mean when i played online it was not as responsive as offline and feel a little scripted. I remember also that in online mode there was no crowd in the stands.
Is fifa online that way or somethink similar?
It's slightly less responsive online but it's not so bad if you play someone in the same country. It's a noticeable difference but it won't ever be perfect, it's as good as you can sensibly hope for IMO.

EDIT: I've just noticed an option in the online menu of the game that allows you to restrict ranked and unranked matches to players within your "area" (I'm presuming that means country) - it's switched off by default, I've just switched it on. You can restrict it to similarly-ranked players as well.

Last edited:
After my above moan at how impossibly hard it is to be Tranmere on "world class", I had to play Leeds United in the Carling Cup at home. Tranmere are 1.5 stars, Leeds United are 2.5 stars. I was thinking it would be my last game of the night.

I edited the formation to bring the entire midfield back four or five "notches", changed the defensive arrow of the CMs to "high", and created a new bunch of tactics; modified counter-attack to be more defensive. On top of that, I switched my through-passing onto manual, to try and stop the constant interceptions.

I won 2-1 with a penalty in the last minute of extra time. I have never, ever gone that beserk over a game before in my life, there is a big scrape across the wallpaper opposite me from some retarded side-kick/flop/roll I performed. I used to think PES was satisfying when you beat the "cheating bastard arsehole shitting computer" - didn't come close to that.

Half-time I was 1-0 up, I intercepted one of their passes (the irony) and knocked it to Ian Moore who knocked it on twice, knocked it to the opposite side of the keeper and in it went. Within ten minutes of the second half starting they scored, a cross was headed away straight onto their winger's foot again, who crossed it in for a second time and someone popped up to head it in despite heavy pressure (it felt like one of those goals you could do nothing to stop).

Michalik got sent off for an awful tackle from behind - it was a terrible challenge - and so I went onto the default "counter-attack" tactic, thinking "stuff the defence". From that point on we had more possession but couldn't get the ball into the box (never mind into the net). Last minute of extra time, I hit a fantastic manual through-ball right onto Craig Curran's foot, and the Leeds CB had to make the tackle or else I would have buried it. He mistimed it and the referee pointed to the spot. Bang, 2-1, next round here we come.

What a game.

tweaking the position of players from the default tactics seems to be a necessity - especially for the weaker teams.

After getting Wigan in the 360 league I tried a few games and got humped by people choosing Barca, Liverpool etc etc

Then I went in and put my defense back a bit and pulled the full backs inwards a bit - to tighten up the defence. I also changed a few attacking arrows etc.

I played again with my new set up and It was completely different - everyone I played found it hard to get past my defence. I beat a guy who was atletico Madrid 2-0 but I totally dominated the whole game. He didn't even get a sniff!!

(I know that people in the league will be better than the people I played - but still, it was such a difference)

So it makes a big difference setting up your team - especially defensively.

Just got my 360 back yesterday, thankfully (I thought) in time for FIFA 09 next week here in the U.S. I'm playing FIFA 08 today and in the middle of a BAP match i get the message "disc is unreadable." I try to open the tray, doesn't open. I turn the system off and then on again, tray doesn't open. Call MS, system needs to be sent in again. 2 weeks. What the f*ck?

Tell me about it man.. My PS3 got the YLOD just over 2 weeks ago so i sent it into Sony.. Got the new exchanged one on tuesday and low and behold it messed up after half an hour of playing.. Theres no picture displayed and when it does it just freezes after 20 secs.. So there sending me another box that'll arrive on monday so i wont get another one till the week after.. Luckily i have another PS3 but its pretty crappy of Sony to be honest.. :CRY:

Tell me about it man.. My PS3 got the YLOD just over 2 weeks ago so i sent it into Sony.. Got the new exchanged one on tuesday and low and behold it messed up after half an hour of playing.. Theres no picture displayed and when it does it just freezes after 20 secs.. So there sending me another box that'll arrive on monday so i wont get another one till the week after.. Luckily i have another PS3 but its pretty crappy of Sony to be honest.. :CRY:
Well I voided my 360's warranty, it's from the US and I'm in Brazil so it doesn't matter cuz the warranty doesn't count in other countries. So I have to pay for it to get repaired.

So I got some error on graphics card, I was lazy to bring it to the local shop so I kept it for 3 weeks collecting dust. After I brought it there, they were able to fix it in a couple of days and they left it on testing for 3 days, but then it crapped out on the day that I went to pick it up. Now it's been like a month and they said that they're having trouble fixing it... :RANT:

So I haven't even played the Fifa 09 demo yet! :CURSE: And there's just a dozen of great games coming out in September-October-November! I'm missing out on all of them!!!! AHHHHH

It's ridiculous. My brother has a 360 as well here at the house and his broke about a week ago. It's like all of this happened specifically so that I couldn't play FIFA 09, lol.

Anyone else randomly lost connection to the EA servers during a match online? I just did and it handed the game to him, ffs. Well annoyed, had a great winning streak.

Hello guys!
I have the ps3 version of the game and I was wondering what level does everybody play the game on?
I play on Legendary and the only thing I find annoying is that alsmost every shot that the CPU controlled team makes goes into the hands of my GK. And it doesn't matter if it is a long shot or a close one.
They result in having about 15 shots in a 6 min game and most times they don't even score once...
What's your opinion?

Hello guys!
I have the ps3 version of the game and I was wondering what level does everybody play the game on?
I play on Legendary and the only thing I find annoying is that alsmost every shot that the CPU controlled team makes goes into the hands of my GK. And it doesn't matter if it is a long shot or a close one.
They result in having about 15 shots in a 6 min game and most times they don't even score once...
What's your opinion?

What control settings do you use? I personally prefer all manual (shooting on semi) to synthetically increase the game's difficulty which allows for playing in a lower overall difficulty setting.

I am trying to set my avatar up via EA Sports Football World and have matched everything up but its not showing on my ps3 and none of my results are showing on the football world site. Can anyone advise are there any extra steps to take. Thanks

I was having trouble with EASW last night, my avatar wasn't showing up on the game either. Also when I'd completed an online match no usernames showed up or any points totals. I imagine EA are tweaking some shit.

I was having trouble with EASW last night, my avatar wasn't showing up on the game either. Also when I'd completed an online match no usernames showed up or any points totals. I imagine EA are tweaking some shit.

I set mine up last week but it has never shown :CRY:

Back
Top Bottom