FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I REALLY hate online 1v1 at the mo. The game is so unresponsive compared to offline, it takes a good 1-2 secs for my players to respond after pressing the button which results in players falling over randomly or running in the opposite direction as soon as I switch player. It's a shame really because online the little mistakes like running slightly out of position are punished heavily. Super cancel might aswell not be there, it doesn't work for me online, FACT. It's a shame as I planned on spending more time online playing tournaments etc.

How come 10v10 is super smooth whereas and a simple 1v1 is laggy and unresponsive?? Hope this gets sorted out in an update.

(And before some wise-ass says it's my connection it's not at all, 10v10 is as smooth as offline for me. Also it doesn't matter whether I host the 1v1 or not I still have the same experience :TD:).

I REALLY hate online 1v1 at the mo. The game is so unresponsive compared to offline, it takes a good 1-2 secs for my players to respond and little mistakes like running slightly out of position are punished heavily, e.g. players falling over randomly or running in the opposite direction as soon as I switch player. Super cancel might aswell not be there, it doesn't work for me online, FACT. It's a shame as I planned on spending more time online.

How come 10v10 is super smooth whereas and a simple 1v1 is laggy and unresponsive?? Hope this gets sorted out in an update.

(And before some wise-ass says it's my connection it's not at all, 10v10 is as smooth as offline for me. Also it doesn't matter whether I host the 1v1 or not I still have the same experience).

Great timing with this post, Feel the same way. Im loving all the offline modes and also loving FIFA Clubs online but 1v1 online is just not the same, you feel like your playing 08 again. :((

Okay I have some big problems with the game. When I try to play 1 on 1 matches with a friend (offline) the game suddenly freezes as soon as he presses a button. It does it every single time, no matter what I do. I even went back to the shop to change it as I thought the game was faulty.

I don't know if it's a coincidence, but today I downloaded the squad update (general one) and the Adidas Live update for the PL. It used to work fine a few days ago, before I got those.

Can someone who downloaded both these updates try to play a 1 on 1 game with 2 controlers? Please, I'd really like to know if my Xbox's at fault. I'd really appreciate your help.

It has to be on the 360 by the way.

choose what part of the ball to strike wtf?

thats exactly what im thinking...
sounds like a fifa2001 thing for me, when we had that little ball marker on FKs and u could actually aim what part u wanted to hit the ball...

now if thats for real...its a pretty cool thing i imagine. ill give it a try right now...
Lets go Arteta!

EDIT: Ok just tested it out, RS does nothing for me on FK...

Last edited:
I REALLY hate online 1v1 at the mo. The game is so unresponsive compared to offline, it takes a good 1-2 secs for my players to respond after pressing the button which results in players falling over randomly or running in the opposite direction as soon as I switch player. It's a shame really because online the little mistakes like running slightly out of position are punished heavily. Super cancel might aswell not be there, it doesn't work for me online, FACT. It's a shame as I planned on spending more time online playing tournaments etc.

(And before some wise-ass says it's my connection it's not at all, 10v10 is as smooth as offline for me. Also it doesn't matter whether I host the 1v1 or not I still have the same experience :TD:).

i think its barely impossible for a game to play with the same reaction times offline and online...due to simple fact that u have a internet response.

every game i play online has its response time worst than offline, no matter the kind of game, shooting, sports, etc..

thats exactly what im thinking...
sounds like a fifa2001 thing for me, when we had that little ball marker on FKs and u could actually aim what part u wanted to hit the ball...

now if thats for real...its a pretty cool thing i imagine. ill give it a try right now...
Lets go Arteta!

EDIT: Ok just tested it out, RS does nothing for me on FK...

RS does sweet FA mate

Hmm was playing FA cup as Man Utd drew Pompey in 5th Round lead 1-0 and at the 90th Minute Pompey get a corner it showed a cut scene where David James came up for the corner and he was fully controllable as an outfield player weird huh?

Can we all get back to the Right Stick now please. :)

If it is indeed a part of the shooting/crossing mechanics, then we should clear it up now. Seriously, I've been waiting since ISS98 for some type of curl or strike control.

OK, so judging from the post that came from someone on "OperationSports", the RS does nothing during Freekicks (since we all know that we curl using the Left Analog Stick).

But, has anyone heard or seen an actual dev report this, or someone who can confirm that this info is correct (and not just, I own a forum/website, therefore I am an authority on this).

What I find weird is that the "FIFA09 guide", that had the nice graph for the shooting power/height, didn't at all mention you could change the way the player strikes the ball. You'd think that would have been sort of important, right? As in, "don't put too much power on it or it will fly over... except for if you use the Right Analog Stick to keep the shot down by striking the upper portion of the ball", that sort of thing.

I'm thinking about shooting David Rutter a PM on EASports forums, which is pointless since he would have so much PMs there it's probably not even a quantitative anymore.

So does anyone have any ideas about how we can confirm this. Placebo, maybe use your connections to bother someone real quick, or something like that? :)
Because this is something I need to know.

Again, because FIFA lacks a "Play Again feature" a la PES, we cannot repeat scenarios and situations, and thus A-B-ing isn't an option. So anyone saying "I did this and my show went low", it's pointless information since we cannot repeat situations to isolate and test single variables.

I am sort of excited now, despite clashing reporting on how and when it actually works.

FUCKING SCUMBAGS ONLINE STILL REIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WTF EA, come on sort this shite out, last year it happened, then it happened on Euro 2008, now again this, just played an Interactive League match, no one to take on my West Ham, so included Rivals, comes up, Chelsea v Villa, that'll do, I whipped a shite load of Chelsea scumbags last year in 08, let's see how we go, take the lead, then he does a Deco special down the line to equalise, take lead again, then he scores with Lampard after a rebound, and he watches it 3 times FFS, I take the lead for the 3rd and final time after Cech drops a cross, I watch the replay twice, the game ends and then up it comes: Connection has been lost with your opponent, I dont worry, that's a 3v0 win to me, but no it aint, its a game that doesnt exist, I mean can we ever stop this fooking shocking shite, why do people play online at all?

Think I may stay to unranked friendlies, cause its all shite this balls with people quitting, the fact the final whistle had gone makes it even more annoying.

I played the Interactive Leagues last year Nick, and no one quit, so hence I thought it was a safe bet, I beat Chelsea 5 times last year one week with West Ham, and it was a fun way of playing online, cause you were playing for your own team.

I'll be playing in the BAPS i think, but as for 1v1, I just get too wound up by all the tossers out there, it's the same with most games though unfortunately.
TBH I think any rankings and the whole trophy things make it worse I know a lot of people play fair and like those things but for every decent on liner there seems to be 10 idiots who just care about rankings and crap, more than enjoying the game...

Can we all get back to the Right Stick now please. :)

If it is indeed a part of the shooting/crossing mechanics, then we should clear it up now. Seriously, I've been waiting since ISS98 for some type of curl or strike control.

OK, so judging from the post that came from someone on "OperationSports", the RS does nothing during Freekicks (since we all know that we curl using the Left Analog Stick).

But, has anyone heard or seen an actual dev report this, or someone who can confirm that this info is correct (and not just, I own a forum/website, therefore I am an authority on this).

What I find weird is that the "FIFA09 guide", that had the nice graph for the shooting power/height, didn't at all mention you could change the way the player strikes the ball. You'd think that would have been sort of important, right? As in, "don't put too much power on it or it will fly over... except for if you use the Right Analog Stick to keep the shot down by striking the upper portion of the ball", that sort of thing.

I'm thinking about shooting David Rutter a PM on EASports forums, which is pointless since he would have so much PMs there it's probably not even a quantitative anymore.

So does anyone have any ideas about how we can confirm this. Placebo, maybe use your connections to bother someone real quick, or something like that? :)
Because this is something I need to know.

Again, because FIFA lacks a "Play Again feature" a la PES, we cannot repeat scenarios and situations, and thus A-B-ing isn't an option. So anyone saying "I did this and my show went low", it's pointless information since we cannot repeat situations to isolate and test single variables.

I am sort of excited now, despite clashing reporting on how and when it actually works.

Well in the Operation Sports FIFA guide it also says that when taking corner kicks, you can add swerve to the ball with the RS. I don't know if this guide is official from EA but it sure looks like it.

Yeah, but I am still not sure. Also it is only mentioned for crosses in the cross area of the pitch, which is kind of rubbish, since others have claimed it works for freekicks, shots etc.

I'll post in the official EA forums aswell and see what turns up.

i know fifa is working on a patch/update so hopefully it will fix the 1v1 online(fingers crossed).

also, is it just me or are free kicks alot easier this time round? like i scored one at most on last fifa, and this one, i've already double my tally in the matter of days lol. crossing is different, last year was really easy but this year its more realistic and a bit harder. can't wait to get my xbox back, thinken about fifa xD

i know fifa is working on a patch/update so hopefully it will fix the 1v1 online(fingers crossed).

also, is it just me or are free kicks alot easier this time round? like i scored one at most on last fifa, and this one, i've already double my tally in the matter of days lol. crossing is different, last year was really easy but this year its more realistic and a bit harder. can't wait to get my xbox back, thinken about fifa xD

I haven't scored a single free-kick. I blaze them over all the time. Any tips?

i practiced first in arena mode. (press up on d-pad to swap to free kicks)

i hold the RB button and hold the analog stick say left for swerve and try not hit it to hard or goes over. i know LB just hits power and hard to get swerve in it, i would stick with RB as it worked with me alright mate

Reviews that have come out:

Thunderbolt
9 out of 10
90.0%

VideoGamer
9 out of 10
90.0%

Console Monster
94 out of 100
94.0%

Gameplanet
9 out of 10
90.0%

WonderwallWeb
9.3 out of 10
93.0%

Official Xbox Magazine UK
9 out of 10
90.0%

Games Master UK
90 out of 100
90.0%

Some of you may know, some may not, but I found this to be excellent. David Rutter (head producer of fifa 09) and afew others from the dev. team have been active in the oficial fifa forums. They are discussing the game and listening to feedback. It's legit. This is brilliant. This is the way it should be. Feel free to sign up and post your impressions, suggestions for next years game. They are really listening to us.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...n-3-microsoft-xbox-360/344910-hello-team.html

Last edited:
I guess it can't hurt. Though last year I asked for a create a stadium (as in madden) an option for a 'random ball' before a match so you dont have to go out of your way to pick one each time. multiple players in the loading menu if you have more pads plugged in. So if you're playing offline with 1 friends you're both in there. If you're online then all of your team should be having a kick about.... and they didnt come about.

But then i did ask for players on the pitch to be more animated, previews of the balls on the menus just before a match and not just in the place you bought the balls and we now have them.

-

I think id just like them to expand on everything next year.

* Add an option to photo your face into the game like FaceBreaker.
* BAP online using yourself - add some bloody stats to the mode as well so you can track how well you are rated and are playing.
* BAP offline career more like winning eleven fantasia
* Saving replays
* A Manager Mode that is not being held back by other EA Sports manager games. Just look at how PES handled getting the champions league license. They easily could have brought a separate game out and cashed in on people who pick it up expecting the EA sports Fifa version again but they combined it into PES09.

Last edited:
No they could not have easily cashed in on another CL game... Why? Because not every team in that mode are licensed. They only have the license for graphics and music pretty much. How on earth would Konami be able to sell that as a separate game?

i think its barely impossible for a game to play with the same reaction times offline and online...due to simple fact that u have a internet response.

every game i play online has its response time worst than offline, no matter the kind of game, shooting, sports, etc..

Yeah but 10v10 online feels like an offline BAP match, same response times and everything.

Just out of interest is 1v1 P2P (peer to peer) and 10v10 server based? This could be the problem.

i have just had two games which gave me exactly what i like and hate about fifa

i played as liverpool v juventus against some guy and the build up and passing between both of us was like real football- both didn't have many chances and the chances we had came close.. the game made it to extra time where i smashed a ball into the top corner with gerrard from the edge of the box - it was quality

i won that game and got an achievement unlocked for beating a creator it said fever pitch(maybe he was a creator, but he deffo played it how i think the game should be played)

then my next game against someone who picked france and i was liverpool, didn't realise he went international, anyway he was assisted controls i could tell and there was no middle man passing, it was straight to his forwards and attack attack, kind of like euro 08 style (yuk)

anyway don't get me wrong he was good at what he did but that just isn't my cuppa tea, he scored and i scored straight after until the 87th minute when i was clean through with torres, and i fucking missed..

90th minute corner for him and i thought i had loads of time to clear it and should of hoofed it first time, instead i went to take a touch when he did the last ditch tackle thing and it roled into the net.. i lost..

Last edited:
No they could not have easily cashed in on another CL game... Why? Because not every team in that mode are licensed. They only have the license for graphics and music pretty much. How on earth would Konami be able to sell that as a separate game?

They sell PES without licenses.

Whatever happened to Fifa or Uefa forcing the devs to sell the champions league as a separate game as the EA people claimed? Why force fifa but not force Konami, and why let your licence go to konami if you want a separate game and the money from that?

I have a question guys:

How do I perform a lay-off at freekicks?! I've tried pressing LB to call for a team mate and that works fine. But when I then press LB+Shoot, the player who is supposed to lay off the ball takes the shot! Have anyone managed to do this correctly and is it any usefull?

They sell PES without licenses.

Whatever happened to Fifa or Uefa forcing the devs to sell the champions league as a separate game as the EA people claimed? Why force fifa but not force Konami, and why let your licence go to konami if you want a separate game and the money from that?

Did I miss when Konami said that they will not release a Champions League-game?:HAND:

Ozkar: Hold LB and press pass to lay off the ball.

I assumed they wouldn't release a PES:Champ League edition as they've put it into PES09 so it would seem daft to release a stand alone game with less features than PES09. I read that the reason they dont add it into fifa is because they HAD to release it as a stand alone game. But then PES get the license and use it in PES09.

Have they said they are going to release it separate?

Back
Top Bottom