FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I gotta say I'm finally getting the hang of pulling off the dribbles in-game in the demo. Yes, I'm still playing the demo due to the delayed release. Anyhow, using the RS on crosses/corners really adds zip and curl to the ball. Scored a beauty of a header with Ballack last night after sending in a venomous cross with Cole that curled right into Ballack's path who slammed it in for a score.

That's bollocks, mate. You add the curl with the LeftStick before your player kicks the ball. And how much curl you get on the ball, is determined how long your hold the stick in the desired direction.

it's official, i really enjoy the 360 version (compared to my experience with ps3 one)

i know it's probably crazy...

it's official, i really enjoy the 360 version (compared to my experience with ps3 one)

i know it's probably crazy...

For one I, and this i just from playing the demo, the graphics don't seem to be up to par with the 360 and I don't really like how loose the analog sticks feel on the Playstation's controllers. I was seriously considering getting FIFA 09 for the PS3 this time just because it's getting to the point where the game is identical on both systems but for some reason it just feels "right" on the 360. Just the right amount of tension in the analog sticks, and for me the PS3's picture is really washed out.

the PS controller wasnt desing to use the stick that much imho...
the position of it just dont fell right, specially for a football game where u have lots of movment.
so im playin with the d-pad..if i was playing in the 360 iwould certanly use the analog stick...

For one I, and this i just from playing the demo, the graphics don't seem to be up to par with the 360 and I don't really like how loose the analog sticks feel on the Playstation's controllers. I was seriously considering getting FIFA 09 for the PS3 this time just because it's getting to the point where the game is identical on both systems but for some reason it just feels "right" on the 360. Just the right amount of tension in the analog sticks, and for me the PS3's picture is really washed out.

Same here, even though the graphical problems of the PS3 demo have been corrected, or so they say. My main problem is that when I try to play a football game with a Playstation controller, my mind immediately thinks PES and i cannot seem to get it out of my head. I changed the layout to be able to sprint with the R1 ala PES and move my player with the dpad but I still confuse the buttons, I never let go of the sprint and using the LS for tactics doesnt work well for me, its like it doesnt register.

the PS controller wasnt desing to use the stick that much imho...
the position of it just dont fell right, specially for a football game where u have lots of movment.
so im playin with the d-pad..if i was playing in the 360 iwould certanly use the analog stick...

are you using the LS for tactics? is it working ok for you?

are you using the LS for tactics? is it working ok for you?

It doesn't seem to be working properly in the demo. I was thinking it was a demo bug though. Pushing down on the left stick brings up the menu but pushing left or right to choose say "counter-attacking" or "possession" respectively, does not work. It results in the other tactic (ultra-defensive -> ultra-offensive) being activated instead.

Anyone has this working ok?

Earlier today I was playing against a mate and had a free kick with Ronaldo over 30m away from goal. I held LB and powered up the shot to about 3/4. It flew to goal with a nice Ronaldo-like curl and I was already up from my seat ready to celebrate when it hit the post. It was very wonderfull and disappointing at the same time...

:LOL:

The funny thing is I kept replaying it on my mind all day long, I have FIFA fever. :)

I'm not sure to be honest - i'm stuck at work. I will try what you suggested when I get home though. I would like to know of a consistent way to beat players - like sidestepping in PES.

don't know if it'll beat players consistently, but as far as animations,
it's the closest to the PES sidestep.
so don't kill me if it doesn't help. lol

but you, or anyone for that matter, should wean yourself from the PES style of play.
luckily i was able to do that with FIFA08, and it took at least three weeks to come to grips with it!
for example, does anyone (besides me) play with the classic/default FIFA controller/button configurations,
or just adjust ala PES configurations.

Last edited:
don't know if it'll beat players consistently, but as far as animations,
it's the closest to the PES sidestep.
so don't kill me if it doesn't help. lol

but you, or anyone for that matter, should wean yourself from the PES style of play.
luckily i was able to do that with FIFA08, and it took at least three weeks to come to grips with it!
for example, does anyone (besides me) play with the classic/default FIFA controller/button configurations,
or just adjust ala PES configurations.

I have only played the demos but on the 360 I use alternate and on the PS3 I switch R1 and R2 and put the player movement on the dpad

It has always been the same with past WE games as well. You kick the ball on a Free-kick and twist the controller-pad in the direction you want the ball to curve as it leaves the players feet. The same thing applies here with Fifa09. It's not as bad as you think.

No, in PES you hold the d-pad/analog stick left or right before the player kicks the ball.

Is there anyway to sidestep in the game, which you can use to beat players? There is a "ball roll" move, which you can execute by holding the pace control button and then holding the right-stick left or right but it doesn't beat a soul.

Thanks in advance.

It seems you get different animations when turning if you turn holding to the side, or merely tap once to the side.

Tapping to the side seems to usually get a sidestep animation, whilst holding to the side makes the player turn his body 90 degrees.

Haven't found the sidestep animation very useful though, you can't really quickly shimmy back or move quickly like that. It seems to be just for show. :)

Sorry to hear that, because for me, it does wonders. The curls are noticeable on crosses/Free kicks/PK's etc... You have to bend the stick as soon as the ball gets air time. The zip on the ball depends on the power you apply together with RB.

I'm not crazy, I do this all the time with the Demo and have even managed to score some beautiful headers by curling the ball over the defense and into my striker's path. You have to quickly bend the stick after the kick and immediately let go of it to control your striker for the header. It's awkward, but very rewarding.

OK, so do one of these RAS curl shots/crosses. Then go into replay mode, and see if the ball changes curl direction after it leaves the boot. If it is aftertouch curl the ball should be seen changing curl direction after it leaves the boot when you apply the curl.

If you are using the RAS just before/as the player kicks, then you couldn't know what trajectory it would have gotten had you not interfered, which means that you can't know that the same trajectory and curl wouldn't have been applied to the ball had you not interfered.

So, either you can clearly see on the replay that the ball changes curl according to what you are pressing after the ball is kicked (proof that it works), or you use the RAS before or just as the player kicks, in which case you can't know if you actually did anyhting, since you can't know what the trajectory would have looked like without the RAS input.

Let me know. :)

I scored 2 free kicks. One with Nakumera from about 30 yards. Hit the bar bounced down and hit the keeper on the floor and went in. It was luck more than anything as I just hit it.

Yesterday though I scored one from like 20 yards and got much more satisfaction as I hit it over the wall and curled it away from the keeper. Not to much curl just a slight amount taking it away from the fully stecthed keeper. Looked dope!!!

Can someone please help me? How do you set up a match against a friend on the PS3 version. On the xbox there is an option to "play a friend" or you can create a private match, but I can't find either option in the PS3 version. Anybody know how to do this?

Well been playing Fifa 09 since day before release day (PS3), and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement:

- Anyone having trouble with 'ranked play now'? ie it keeps freezing on the team selection page

- The 08 lag has been improved but is still there. There is even lag on the f***ing menus which is unacceptable for a next-gen console/game.

- Who the f*** is INRAHIMOVIC??? (back of his shirt) - minor point I know.

- Why are Man City player names in lower case on the back of the shirts (except first letter)??? It just looks cr*p and unrealistic, a bit like PES.

- BAP Online 10v10 is less enjoyable than the 5v5, it takes longer to get all players to press 'ready' for a start, then everyone runs round like a headless chicken.

Overall hugely disappointed with this game, I was hoping for real improvements over 08. Guess I'll have to wait for Fifa 10....

Can someone please help me? How do you set up a match against a friend on the PS3 version. On the xbox there is an option to "play a friend" or you can create a private match, but I can't find either option in the PS3 version. Anybody know how to do this?

The only way I've found to do this is to:

- create a league,
- invite your mate to join that league (by messaging him on the PS3 out of fifa)
- press x on their name once you're both signed into the league
- choose invite to game

- then get well and truly F****d off as the screen freezes, you try again, it freezes again, they invite you, it freezes again, you give up and go to bed.

If you are LUCKY, it will work. But in my experience it is completely random chance.

my mate invited me into a 1 vs 1 game last night - im stumped what he did to set it up as ive not tried myself but he said seconds earlier he had no idsea what to do... then suddenly i had an invite come up on the screen.

Well been playing Fifa 09 since day before release day (PS3), and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement:

- Anyone having trouble with 'ranked play now'? ie it keeps freezing on the team selection page

- The 08 lag has been improved but is still there. There is even lag on the f***ing menus which is unacceptable for a next-gen console/game.

- Who the f*** is INRAHIMOVIC??? (back of his shirt) - minor point I know.

- Why are Man City player names in lower case on the back of the shirts (except first letter)??? It just looks cr*p and unrealistic, a bit like PES.

- BAP Online 10v10 is less enjoyable than the 5v5, it takes longer to get all players to press 'ready' for a start, then everyone runs round like a headless chicken.

Overall hugely disappointed with this game, I was hoping for real improvements over 08. Guess I'll have to wait for Fifa 10....
I don't see you mentioning anything about the gameplay...
How can you be greatly disappointed with the game if you just listed some minor flaws and bugs?

Doesn't the improved gameplay count for anything? Last I knew the gameplay was the most important aspect of a game.

Perhaps you were expecting a completely perfect football game, which I'm sorry to tell you doesn't exist. No game is or will ever be perfect.

^^ It's alright to admit that you were wrong man. I wouldn't recommend continuing to dig a hole though. Unless you somehow switched the functions of the left and right analog sticks, I'm 100% certain that the right analog stick doesn't do anything at all. I've tried it a number of times.

Okay, wearing my mod hat, let's stop the name calling and bickering. Now as a fan, LS will aim the shot on Semi. To put your spin on the ball use the RS. Now free kicks are different. You use the LS to aim standing, then you use the LS to put your spin in the ball. Up for top, down for backspin. You can also decide what part of the ball to strike using the RS, as well. But in real-time on the move shooting you want to remember to use both the LS to aim where you want the shot and the RS to place where you strike the ball. Hope this helps... Brian

This is from Brian a MOD from Operation Sports. He posted up the FIFA players guide. So I would say jflores is correct

Radiation said:
my mate invited me into a 1 vs 1 game last night - im stumped what he did to set it up as ive not tried myself but he said seconds earlier he had no idsea what to do... then suddenly i had an invite come up on the screen.

Setting up matches is easy on the PS3 once you know how. There are two ways that I set up matches for 1v1.

1) If you are part of the same club, enter the 'My Club' option and highlight the player you want to play and press 'x'. It'll then give you a series of options, the first one being 'invite to game'.

2) Or if you just want to play someone you know, both of you enter an online lobby such as Europe#1. Lobbies are in Online Game Modes. Then you'll come across a list with a bunch of people who have also selected that lobby. Then scroll down the list and highlight your friend's PSN ID (you can actually sort the list alphabetically if that helps by pressing triangle). Once you've highlighted your friend press 'x' again and it'll give you similar options to those in clubs, again one of them being 'invite to game'.

Then just wait for the other person to accept your invite and your cooking on gas.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
For now and I hope it continues, I am getting the feeling that when I concede a goal or a match, it is actually my fault and not the CPU cheating me & I like it

Back
Top Bottom