FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

doina be a pro seasons with pacheco for LFC.

15 games in lfc bottom of league and we never score and get hammered everygame.

whats up with that?

ok let me answer u in parts
4-corinthians(who is in the rest of the world), palmeiras, sao paulo have real chants!

5-Corinthians and cruzeiro have 3rd kits

6- internacional and goias are not licensed :(

7-we have the 20 teams from the serie A in the brazilian league plus 6 serie B teams in the rest of the world.

i hope this helps
Sucks about no English and Portuguese in the same version, guess I'll just get the N.A version.

Awesome to know that we got our actual chants, last Saturday I went to watch Corinthians vs Marilia aqui em Londrina no estadio do Cafe, and it was just beautiful with the stadium full and everybody chanting!
Good to know that we have our purple alternate kit.

Thanks for all the info! :APPLAUD:

Just played an awful run of MM games, seemed as though all the little "cheats" from 08 were back, AI doing impossible turns at full speed, my players slowing up letting AI get the ball same old crap. This is Just in the MM, I fear it's been totally untouched bar a few menu tweaks...

um that sucks...

is it just me or is the fact you can't actually run at anyone with the ball really starting to piss you off.

I have ronaldo right, probably the quickest player with quality ball control in the world, i'm 15 yards away but driving at richard dunne and without the slightest worry as i try to jink past him he sticks out a leg and wins the ball.

I loved 08 and I am liking 09 but i'm just not having fun. Is there something wrong with me?

What you describe is a part of the game that needs some reworking in my opinion.

The basic "problem" is that defenders always seem to have a leg available to kick the ball away when you get close enough. It seems impossible to wrongfoot an opponent, and there doesn't seem to be any system in place for calculating which leg the player has his weight on, and thus wouldn't be available to just throw out to get the ball.
When doing tricks, you can get some distance from your defender, but that seems like a pretty simplistic system where the defending player's reaction time is simply delayed, to simulate him being tricked temporarily by a feint.

I described this just earlier today in a detailed post on the EA sports forums: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/5882629-post711.html

It would be great is this was reworked so that defenders cannot always get a leg out, and also it would be great to put some skill and timing into defending, so that pressing X does a stab tackle, and if you time the button press wrong when you are defending, for example if the opponent does a stepover and then moves in the other direction, the player would try and stab tackle at the stepover, so to speak, and the opponent could move past on the other side. Committing to a stabtackle as a defender should have consequences if not properly timed. You could implement a feature so that the stab tackle needs to be aimed with the analog stick in the direction it should be performed. Thus if the opponent does an elastico/flip flap, you could be fooled into reacting/committing to the initial move by the opponent, and your defender would stick the wrong leg out, and thus his bodyweight would be supported on the leg on the opposite side, where the opponent moves past the helpless defender.

In turn to balance things back, defenders need to be slightly more responsive and "defined" in their movements, so that it is easier to contain attackers using your body rather than attackers being able to move past you just because your defender is difficult to manouver into the path of the attacker.

So, defenders should be easier to react to movement, but have less success when it comes to actually intercepting the ball stab-tackle style from quick opponents. More focus would then be moved into simply trying to stay between skilled opponents and the goal, and keeping constant pressure on them.

In real life, you almost always see Ronaldo having the upper hand when 1 on 1 with an opponent. A couple of stepovers, he picked a side and moves past. The defender has almost no chance to stop him if he commits to a stab tackle, his only objective is to stay in the close proximity of Ronaldo and not give him too much space. Trying to steal the ball and committing to a tackle is extremely risky, much more so than in FIFA (because of the unrealistic ability of defenders to always snap the ball up when close to an opponent).

With less skilled opponents, they would move slower and have more predictable movements, and thus defending wouldn't always be as tricky as against Ronaldo and the like. Still stab tackling should always require timing, and not be the "hold-button" affair it is today.

Can the people who have the Fifa 09 full game truly tell me if this game is still on "railroad tracks." I remember Fifa 08 felt like this, I felt really disappointed in the attacking aspect of the game, everything felt so predictable and restrictive. Does Fifa 09 disappoint in this aspect? I know you have customizable tactics, but how much does this really affect the positioning and movement of player? I hope this year is not like last year were both football games were crap.

Oh and just one more question brunnoce, do we have any good faces that resemble their real-life counterparts from the Brazilian league? Or are they mostly generic?

99.99999% of the faces are generic! lol, actually i only saw D'alessandro with real face...evan sorin and m.paraiba who had real faces in fifa07 and 08, dont have it anymore. :(

99.99999% of the faces are generic! lol, actually i only saw D'alessandro with real face...evan sorin and m.paraiba who had real faces in fifa07 and 08, dont have it anymore. :(
lol, oh well... Now if Fifa could just give us an edit system that would allow us to freely and fully edit player's stats and appearances, now that would be awesome.

Oh and would it be too much trouble to ask for a pic of Corinthians, just the screen that shows their lineup and overall rating for players? Could anyone do it? Corinthians is in the Rest Of The World section.

I have no idea when I'm getting my 360 back, thus I don't know when I'll get to play Fifa 09. :((

Anyboday with the PS3 having problems uploading their goals to the EA website? Always says cannot establish a connection to the EA website. Any ideas of a fix?

Just played an awful run of MM games, seemed as though all the little "cheats" from 08 were back, AI doing impossible turns at full speed, my players slowing up letting AI get the ball same old crap. This is Just in the MM, I fear it's been totally untouched bar a few menu tweaks...

I've deliberately avoided playing MM because it was inevitable the cheats would still be there. I even notice them on exhibition matches, where the cpu sometimes slows your guy down until the AI gets the ball, then you speed up again, or invisible barriers mysteriously appearing around some cpu players so you cannot get in close to tackle them. Euro08 was dreadful for this and it's much improved now, but still annoying when it happens.

It's not a new engine, so the cheats were bound to still be there. I've stuck to be-a-pro mode, so the cheats are far less prominent as your team-mates do a lot of the running and tackling for you...but they still conveniently act like muppets at times and just ignore balls played right to them, or go into spasms when supposedly running onto some through-balls.

Nah it's been lifted off ITV and dubbed over! Sounds good though. I've always wanted more than 2 commentators in one game.

Good tutorial too, thanks :)).

Didn't Fifa have a game where the commentary team changed in the games? I'm sure it was a world cup or Euro game and they had liniker chatting on the menu screens but im my head the in game team changed between games.

I hate the skill stick, its hit and miss. When I do mange to actually get past a fullback with Joaquin on another occasion I'll attempt to do the exact same thing that I did previoulsy but Joaquin does a completely different skill which obviously leads to him losing the bloody ball!

They should try to work out that some simple tricks are performed without the skill stick. Like PES had (have?) where you do diagonally up/down to perform drop shoulder feint. But in general I think the skill stick is good because it makes people not using skills too much. It shouldn't be too easy to pull tricks off, you should have to master it imho.

One thing I used to love in PES was the use of R2 "feints" where you pressed R2 and changed direction to just tap the ball just before an opponent was going to take it. Kind of like Messi use very often with his quick feet. This is pretty hard to do in FIFA because it has to time in with the animation of the players feet which you really don't have any control over. But I did notice that if you hold down LT (alternative) while running and hold to the side you get a similar effect where your player make an extra effort to tap the ball to the side. I used to just tap LT, but you really need to hold it down until he does the tap and then release it again. Still it is not as fluid as in PES and defenders seems to be able to just put out a leg and take the ball even if they take your legs first. I think the game favours defenders to much like trance_allstar said, it needs to be timing involved in defending and not just stick out a leg and take the ball everytime.

Didn't Fifa have a game where the commentary team changed in the games? I'm sure it was a world cup or Euro game and they had liniker chatting on the menu screens but im my head the in game team changed between games.

An older Fifa (somewhere around 98-00?) had different co-commentators, Chris Waddle was one and the other might have been Alan Hansen?

They should try to work out that some simple tricks are performed without the skill stick. Like PES had (have?) where you do diagonally up/down to perform drop shoulder feint. But in general I think the skill stick is good because it makes people not using skills too much. It shouldn't be too easy to pull tricks off, you should have to master it imho.

One thing I used to love in PES was the use of R2 "feints" where you pressed R2 and changed direction to just tap the ball just before an opponent was going to take it. Kind of like Messi use very often with his quick feet. This is pretty hard to do in FIFA because it has to time in with the animation of the players feet which you really don't have any control over. But I did notice that if you hold down LT (alternative) while running and hold to the side you get a similar effect where your player make an extra effort to tap the ball to the side. I used to just tap LT, but you really need to hold it down until he does the tap and then release it again. Still it is not as fluid as in PES and defenders seems to be able to just put out a leg and take the ball even if they take your legs first. I think the game favours defenders to much like trance_allstar said, it needs to be timing involved in defending and not just stick out a leg and take the ball everytime.

I agree with the tricks.
As much as I like the trickstick, some tricks, especially simple bodyfeints, are extremely easy to do consistently in real life (since there isn't really any ball skill involved), and putting them on the trickstick makes them unrealistically bothersome to perform, especially when you try and perform several in a row after you change directions while dribbling and simultaneously trying to avoid alot of defenders.

They have a 2-foot feint on the left stick if you move it back and forth quickly when moving. But they should also add drop shoulder moves a la PES to the left stick, and perhaps some other context-sensitive easy-to-do body feints.

PES had several variations of the drop shoulder move, about 3 or 4 of them, depending on the player you were controlling (like Edman of Sweden having a couple of odd ones). They should reflect this, adds variety, BUT they shouldn't give players just one, they should design several variations, and then have players perform them dynamically, just so that it doesn't look stiff stilted or repetitive if you do several bodyfeints in a row. You could map these tricks so that you need to hold LT to perform them, but they should be able to be performed, in different variations, at any speed, even from standstill by pressing diagonally front and then quickly diagonally in the other front direction. :)

I hate the skill stick, its hit and miss. When I do mange to actually get past a fullback with Joaquin on another occasion I'll attempt to do the exact same thing that I did previoulsy but Joaquin does a completely different skill which obviously leads to him losing the bloody ball!

Yeah, it is certainly hit and miss. I find even in the arena, sometimes you perform a trick, then try the exact same movement and it just doesn't register and nothing happens, or it does a different trick altogether.

This is even more problematic in game where sometimes you go to do the trick movement with a player you know is capable of doing that trick, and nothing happens and the defender just barges into you and gets the ball.

That said, I'm glad all tricks are only on the stick and I'm glad they're hard to pull off in match. Hardly any footballers ever try any tricks, even basic things like body feints, during a match, let alone actually pull them off. They're all too scared of looking like an arse to even attempt it in front of thousands of spectators (millions, if it's on TV).

As for the defenders having the advantage with tackling, again, I actually think that with AI as it currently is (ie. still pretty early stages of development), it's necessary to have it this way as otherwise, defending would be a non-event, like it was in Euro08.

And for what it's worth, I really like the number of cards being dished out in the game for slide tackles. On-line, there's red cards a-plenty because people still just lunge in all the time with slide tackles. They just don't seem to learn you have to time it perfectly and play only the ball, otherwise the ref takes a very dim view....just like real life.

I just use the stick to knock the ball ahead on the wings when i'm sprinting down. Seem to get a lot of free kicks and cards for the other team doing this as they hack you down without the ball.

I downloaded the latest Adidas update today and the Spurs players have come back home I'm glad to report but the game is still getting on my nerves.

I can now start a Manager Mode season (as in get to the front page) but when I clicked on Play Match the screen goes black and the game freezes on me again! The in game XMB still comes up so I quit the game and it restarts my PS3, wonderful!

I can't do anything with Spurs in this game and that sucks.

Back
Top Bottom