FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Since I am in the US, dont have the game just yet. But I like to play on semi and manual. When playing online, can you see the other players controller set up? I remember asking if we could "force" the opposing player into our controller set up, but I think someone said you can just see their set up. So I was hoping one of you with the game can shed some light on this subject. Thanks.

Gagh! Played this all night again till the wee hours and still really liking it.

Still playing MM as Wycombe - even though the lack of play-offs will ruin it come the end of the season.

I can visibly see myself getting better each game and scored 2 goals in my last match for the first time in the season! (yea, I'm shite).

Still some annoyances for me:

1) Still not as 'free' as PES
2) Anyone who complains about PES run animations and not FIFAs is on crack! They are awful - but the other animations are good.
3) Anyone had a 'skating' player - the engine forces a player into a part of the pitch and their legs dont move, they just slide. Odd and if it was in PES, it would be ridiculed.
4) Still hard to score different types of goals.
5) The advantage rule is stupid.
6) The through ball bug

Aside from that - which I dont really mind too much, its a very good game.

I'm still going to get PES as I think its a better experience than FIFA, but I may well keep FIFA for the MM and BAPS which are very good.

Playoff's are in mate, there's even been a screenshot to confirm it.

You are kidding? Placebo - is this true????

If that is the case, then the game has just become a definite keeper as for all its faults, it means I can fully enjoy the lower leagues!!!

I haven't bought FIFA since 96, so forgive me for not knowing this kind of thing, but... if I got a US version of FIFA09 for the PS3, would I be able to play against people in Ireland/UK/rest of Europe? Basically, are there any differences in the online? Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Yep, playoffs are there I've seen a picture too.

The AI is mad in this game, unless I'm being exceptionally crap now. I did a MM with Spurs on World Class up to Matchday 12 and coasted really, I only found a Cup game hard and lost only that game. The AI was clever, had plenty of chances, hit the woodwork etc, but altering my tactics correctly mid-game and adjusting my own style of passing whilst actually on the pitch paid off a lot.

Since beginning a new World Class MM with Spurs however, every game was like FIFA08 yesterday, with 10-25 shots on target for me per game with a few touch woods, however I've lost a lot of games 0-1, to the CPU's only shot on goal. Often it's that daft God-mode where even a small frame midfielder can shrug off 3 or more of my defenders tackles at once and skip towards the net. Why such a change in AI.

You are kidding? Placebo - is this true????

If that is the case, then the game has just become a definite keeper as for all its faults, it means I can fully enjoy the lower leagues!!!

Unless it's a very elaborate fake ;)

p0410081150cf0.jpg

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...ion-3-microsoft-xbox-360/345731-playoffs.html

Very surprising as we were told by EA via the first FSB podcast that the playoffs were not in......

Although rumour is that the alleged "yes the AI now buy players and use them in their first team if better than what they have" may not be true :(

And another rumour I read was that someone got to the playoff final and it was at Ivy Lane not Wembley :(

But these two were read on the EA forums so I take them with a pinch of salt.

Playoff's are in mate, there's even been a screenshot to confirm it.
OMG That's awesome!!! I didn't know that! Wonder if they are in for BAP Seasons too?

I think I'm gonna have to start my manager mode again as Charlton now!!! :DANCE:

Edit: And you're a referee in the game Placebo? :SHOCK:

Last edited:
Indeed I am yes, League 2 ref Paul Statham would be me :)

placeborefyv9.jpg

There's me doing something refereeee :))

Ha! Thats quality - nice one :)

In all seriousness though, surely thats one of the next things for developers to get into games now refs are the norm. Licensed refs in FIFA 2010 would be cool and add to the immersive experience.

And another rumour I read was that someone got to the playoff final and it was at Ivy Lane not Wembley :(

Hmm seems this is already confirmed, just read this in a Fifa09 thread of an Owls forum "Also when i got to the play off final it wasn't at Wembley. It was a different place. But still quite big." So they put in neutral venues but not the right ones? That's a bit weird.

Is that actually your appearance/likeness?

Well it doesn't look like me, it's the equivalent of a generic lower league footballer ;) We were told to create ourselves in the EA database so you choose from one of 131 different premade heads, one from 97 hairstyles etc. etc.

Ha! Thats quality - nice one :)

In all seriousness though, surely thats one of the next things for developers to get into games now refs are the norm. Licensed refs in FIFA 2010 would be cool and add to the immersive experience.

Well yes it would be nice if refs are fully licensed, but personally I think there are far more important things to spend their limited budget on, we may think they have limitless resources every year but in truth the dev team is given a budget and they have to adhere to it, licensed refs could mean no licensed South American league or something, which offers more? To me 1 extra league (for example) offers far, far more than licensed refs :)

There's already a thread about getting Fifa09 this week from Morrisons on PS3 for £24.99? That's a very specific thread that I was unable to find by searching.

Is MM different enough from last years to bother with?

I did 13 seasons playing every game last year and really enjoyed playing as Cardiff and taking them to the top. But the annoyances like being stuck in that shitty stadium even at cup finals just ruined the experience. Have they changed enough of it this year so its worth having a go at it again?

Just played som BAP Season and the fucking rating meter bugged out completely. I could only get minus ratings so it just keeped dropping even when I assisted to a goal! Then for maybe 5 ingame minutes it worked again so I got plus marks for passes, josteling and so on. The cpu scored and it was broken again for the rest of the game. Ended up with a 6 rating when it should have been around 9. Going to write about this in official board. This is not the first time this happens to me but it's the first time it is almost the whole game... ruins the BAPS mode for me because you need the ratings do advance. I mean how the fuck can they not notice this when they test the game.

Edit: More people have reported this bug... amazing...

Just played som BAP Season and the fucking rating meter bugged out completely. I could only get minus ratings so it just keeped dropping even when I assisted to a goal! Then for maybe 5 ingame minutes it worked again so I got plus marks for passes, josteling and so on. The cpu scored and it was broken again for the rest of the game. Ended up with a 6 rating when it should have been around 9. Going to write about this in official board. This is not the first time this happens to me but it's the first time it is almost the whole game... ruins the BAPS mode for me because you need the ratings do advance.

I have noticed that sometimes the meter doesn't pick things up, though I haven't found a pattern for when it happens.

I thought MM was exactly the same?

Well it mostly is, some little additions:

Playoffs added.
Experience system improved (players who play well in a match get more XP than someone who comes on as a sub and gets sent off for example, the latter will get -XP points).

Not sure what else because I'm still waiting for my promo copy to arrive......

I have noticed that sometimes the meter doesn't pick things up, though I haven't found a pattern for when it happens.

Seems random.

When you have a high score, like 9, then it takes more passes and so on to register, this is good and how it should work. But then sometimes it just bug out and nothing is rewarded for. I hope EA figure it out soon so they can patch it...

Back
Top Bottom