FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Does anyone know why Liverpool and Tottenham doesn't have sponsors on their kits? Licens issues? And if I remember correctly, Santiago Bernabeu used to be included in Fifa before 08, does anyone know if there's any license issues with that as well?

they do in the uk version. Tottenhams is a gambling company and liverpools is a alcohol compant so this causes a problem in some countries. What i dont get is why Celtic dont have a sponsor and Liverpool do as they are both breweries

guys plz any one can help me with playing tips ?

what i need to know that how to keep the ball and with your player body balance ?? while am playing online i use to take arsenal and all the other guys am playing with the Vs me with poor teams like stoke city or hull city but when the ball come to their CF or CAM the keep the ball and i cant get the ball from them i keep pressing [] & X all the time so i can get the ball but with no use !! also their players always faster then my CBs :/ and when i attack they catch my CFs even if i keep pressing the right analog sprint so plzz any help or tip plzz

A trick to do lower shots from outside the area is to press the shooting button twice. Get used to press it twice in different "rythms" to achieve different heights. It works wonders to me and allow me to control better the shots.

This is maybe because that way you prevent yourself of adding too much power to the bar (according to the graphic in the last page).

I want to try finesse headers, I never thought they would be in the game, nice!

About crossings, you have to really have in mind what kind of team you play. Playing barcelona, for example, won't be much rewarding, because no one is tall enough to win the position, so you're "forced" to play complicated 1-2s and take advantage of the pace of your players. Play using Carew and you'll notice the difference right away.

Another tip for crossings: if the area is really crowded, try to press R2 (sprint button) while crossing, it will make a kinf of "high arch" parabole to the area. If you have stronge and taller players, they have more time to gain position with the joggling button and connect a header. Specially useful for those last minutes where you're desperately crossing to the area and half your team is there, or even for set pieces.

One tip to win headers that I use often is by pressing down cancel right before you're going to head the ball so you move towards the ball and then press to head it. I used this all the time in PES to dominate headers and it works well in fifa too.

Because sometimes it might be very difficult to get in front of a defender by just josteling. So cancel your way to get in front just before so he don't have time to jostle himself infront of you again. Just watch it so you don't accidentally cancel your header.

Yeah, the RB on the 360 is the finesse shot. Makes it curve quite a bit, but it was damn near perfect in FIFA 08 and they've gone and taken it to a bit of an extreme this year. Last year a ball hit that hard and starting out that high, is going out of bounds.

RB doesn't do anything on freekicks as far as I know. I haven't done any extensive A-B-ing to make sure, but I would bet that over several freekicks from the same position with the swme4 player, there isn't going to be any discernable differences between freekicks struck with RB and without it.

A trick to do lower shots from outside the area is to press the shooting button twice. Get used to press it twice in different "rythms" to achieve different heights. It works wonders to me and allow me to control better the shots.

This is maybe because that way you prevent yourself of adding too much power to the bar (according to the graphic in the last page).

I actually did that in the demo. But, I think what happens is simply that every time you press the shot button, the shot bar simply restarts, but after the initial powerup of the bar, the following powerups aren't shown.

So, tapping shot several times simply means that only the last tap counts, and if the last button press was a tap on the shot button, you will get a low shot.

Like I said, I did that on the demo and noticed that the shots seemed both hard and low. But after some more testing, I noticed there was no difference between trajectories from several taps and just on short tap. Unless they changed it from the demo, which seems unlikely. ;)

RB doesn't do anything on freekicks as far as I know. I haven't done any extensive A-B-ing to make sure, but I would bet that over several freekicks from the same position with the swme4 player, there isn't going to be any discernable differences between freekicks struck with RB and without it.

RB is a finesse freekick. It's the one that puts the most curve on the ball. Hold LB and it'll drive it, and you can still put spin on it but it'll be more akin to the Ronaldo free kick. RB is for a curling shot. I think you could ask just about anyone familiar with FIFA 08 that messed around with free kicks often and they'd tell you the same thing. At least I can see a pretty large difference between a normal freekick, and one with the Right Bumper held down.

I am playing the demo still and there is one thing that bugs me but I'm pretty sure it must be something I'm doing wrong since I'm new to FIFA. When playing with manual lobs and through passes I cannot execute a one time pass properly. What I mean is if I press the lob or through pass button before my player receives the ball to one time the pass, the ball is hit as if I had just tapped the button, when in reality I can even see the power bar is all the way up. Anybody know why this is? And it only happens to me on manual controls.

Sorry if I didn't explain this well

RB is a finesse freekick. It's the one that puts the most curve on the ball. Hold LB and it'll drive it, and you can still put spin on it but it'll be more akin to the Ronaldo free kick. RB is for a curling shot. I think you could ask just about anyone familiar with FIFA 08 that messed around with free kicks often and they'd tell you the same thing. At least I can see a pretty large difference between a normal freekick, and one with the Right Bumper held down.

You cant finesse free kicks

all you can do is a normal shots with spin or a powerful shot with LB or RB depending on your config

you can curl them but it does not involve the finesse button it involves getting the top spin or back spin required with the left analog stick.

You cant finesse free kicks

all you can do is a normal shots with spin or a powerful shot with LB or RB depending on your config

That is my conclusion aswell. I've never heard RB Finesse freekicks mentioned in any context before, especially from Devs. Also the command list in FIFA for Freekicks mentions LB power kicks I believe, but nothing about RB.

Might be the same sort of thing as for PES where some people reported R2 changing the trajectory, when in fact it does nothing. It's a bit like placebo. You expect differences, and so you sort of pick up on nonexistant differences.

Obviously you can't just take 2 freekicks without RB and 2 with and draw conclusions. You need to strike several, ideally from the exact same spot on the pitch, and from there you can aim on the same spot for example on the wall behind the goal, and then take 20 freekicks and note how the ball curls and how far from goal it goes and how much bend it gets etc. Then you do the same only you change 1 variable, and hold RB. Then you take another 20-ish freekicks from the same exact spot and gauge the curl and such.

Didn't someone just write that in freekick mode the "change player" button (LB alternative) was the finesse shot and it added unrealistic curl to the ball? Maybe I'm hallucinating. Maybe it was another thread... it was videos that showed the ridiculous curl too.

sorry if i missed it somewhere, but what are the different audio commentaries included in the UK version? are they selectable in-game, or do you have to change language settings in the console?

basically i'd like to play with english GUI + portuguese (brasilian portuguese?) commentators.

That is my conclusion aswell. I've never heard RB Finesse freekicks mentioned in any context before, especially from Devs. Also the command list in FIFA for Freekicks mentions LB power kicks I believe, but nothing about RB.

Might be the same sort of thing as for PES where some people reported R2 changing the trajectory, when in fact it does nothing. It's a bit like placebo. You expect differences, and so you sort of pick up on nonexistant differences.

Obviously you can't just take 2 freekicks without RB and 2 with and draw conclusions. You need to strike several, ideally from the exact same spot on the pitch, and from there you can aim on the same spot for example on the wall behind the goal, and then take 20 freekicks and note how the ball curls and how far from goal it goes and how much bend it gets etc. Then you do the same only you change 1 variable, and hold RB. Then you take another 20-ish freekicks from the same exact spot and gauge the curl and such.

LOL, my bad. Disregard the RB comment, I saw it in youtube vid of some guy giving a tutorial on free kicks and have been holding the RB ever since. I wasn't calling it a finesse free kick, just in order to make it easier for other people to remember I noted that it was the same button as the finesse kick. Either way, I never knew that all along it was just the analog that was making it curve for me. I actually hadn't even found out that you could curve the ball on a free kick until months after I'd gotten the game, lol. Now that I think about it, it may have been one of my friends who told me about it and told me to hold the RB down. I never tried it without it.

Just played a brilliant game in manager mode. Accrington vs Luton Town (me). Went 1-0 down in the first half. Scored an equaliser in the 64th minute. Done a beautiful cross into the box from the right wing and the striker dived and headed it into the back of the net. Then in the 90 minute I break free from the tired defenders and put it in the back of the goal! 2-1 final score. :)

anyone using the PS3, manage to have the squads updated like the ones used for online games??

to check this, if u didnt edit enything, check if Fellaini is number 25 and is in the starting 11 of the Everton squad...if thats the case please post your squad file here so we can spread it, becasue the online update stoped working for some reason...

i was playing fifa 09 with my mates today...inter milan are a beast of a team they have got javier zanetti who has good pace and control and he runs the wings...then you have got ricardo Q who is just briliant at the crosses...my mate was just demolishing me using intermilan and i was arsenal....what he will do was work the ball up to zlatan and that was it, he was onto goal.
i eventually won the match 4:3, this was because i played with aresenals strenght which is the passing game
even though the score line was high it was a very tense match i was making sure galas was alwayz marking zlata...but then he brought on Adriano and i had to change my tactics and so did he
he is now a converted pesfan because he said and i quote "this plays the closest thing to football ever".
i personally love this game...i started a manager mode with plymouth i wanted a to have that sense of achievement when i get them to the top league and bring in great players that improve the team...i also have a be a pro seasons with arsenal because i created my own player for them

i think the beasts in fifa 09 are Zlatan, messi, C.Ronlado, Zanetti, walcott even though he is weak when he gets past you that is it, what do yuo guys think?

all these point that occured in th game are the same as what happens in real football and this why i beleive that fifa 09 will be and is the best game out there...if pes2009 can top this and i doubt it that that will be the best game....but now fifa09 is king....
i am off to play me be a pro seasons got liverpool next, going to be a hard game hope i get a draw or a win

Last edited:
Anybody here has bought the PS3 version in Greece? If so, which version do they get, the UK one? or a Greek one? Which commentaries? I have a friend in Athens right now who can pick up the game for me.

thanks

I am playing the demo still and there is one thing that bugs me but I'm pretty sure it must be something I'm doing wrong since I'm new to FIFA. When playing with manual lobs and through passes I cannot execute a one time pass properly. What I mean is if I press the lob or through pass button before my player receives the ball to one time the pass, the ball is hit as if I had just tapped the button, when in reality I can even see the power bar is all the way up. Anybody know why this is? And it only happens to me on manual controls.

Sorry if I didn't explain this well

Has this not happened to anybody else but me?

thanks

I indent to get a ps3 during the month of octomber mainly for this brilliant fifa 09(i never played it). I have a question.What is the best controller to play the game. Is sisaxis any accurate(for fifa)?Whats best the ps3 controller or 360's for fifa?

Has this not happened to anybody else but me?

thanks

can't say it has happened to me, but it sounds like it's doing a 1-2 passback. was L1 pressed while you did the first pass?

sorry if i missed it somewhere, but what are the different audio commentaries included in the UK version? are they selectable in-game, or do you have to change language settings in the console?

basically i'd like to play with english GUI + portuguese (brasilian portuguese?) commentators.

anybody, please?

Back
Top Bottom