FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

I think I'm right in saying that to dummy the ball you hold down the finesse button,which is the same as the close control button, right? If this is right how do I do a first time finesse shot or control the ball closely without dummying the ball. Can anyone help?

I think I'm right in saying that to dummy the ball you hold down the finesse button,which is the same as the close control button, right? If this is right how do I do a first time finesse shot or control the ball closely without dummying the ball. Can anyone help?

No, the finesse and close control buttons are different - L2/LT is the default close control button, R1/RB is the default finesse button.

Back to the through-ball bug, what platforms/modes/settings are everyone who hasn't seen it so much playing on? I'm on PS3, in Manager Mode, using semi-manual, and believe me it's a plague.

Last edited:
no close control is same as hard shot, LT on alternative. Finesse shot is the button you hold down when you want a high through ball (RB alternative).

Edit: late as usual.

I'm on 360 and I haven't seen much of the through ball things you talk about. I did see it in videos (the cpu vs cpu ones that were posted a couple of days before release) but I can't recall seeing it myself while playing.

Last edited:
Left trigger is close control, it's not the same as the finesse button. Finesse shot is finesse button and shoot. Dummy is finesse button and no direction pressed.

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that LT on 360 pad is for powerful shots?

The poweful shots I've done have been with RT. I have to try it with LT now to see if there is any difference. It sounds awkward to pul the LT while shooting though. Will have to try it.

Also, I have shot powerful shots while running with no problems. Don't know, but I need a tips guide on shooting.

Using the skill button for shooting is a "laces" power shot isn't it?

According to the official guide, a direct shot (ie. just press the shoot button) is hit with the boot laces, whereas the finesse shot is usually taken with the side of the foot.

Not sure the skill button makes any difference.

This chart is supposed to reveal how to achieve the type of shot you want.

"...there is a direct correlation between shot speed and ball elevation based just on the how much you power up the shot meter. Also keep in mind that your player’s accuracy is greatly diminished if he is on a full sprint while shooting, as well as his lateral momentum at the time. A really good tip here is to let go of the sprint button, control your pace to gain composure, get the ball on your player’s preferred foot, and then let it rip. "

Wait a minute, you mean to tell me that LT on 360 pad is for powerful shots?

The poweful shots I've done have been with RT. I have to try it with LT now to see if there is any difference. It sounds awkward to pul the LT while shooting though. Will have to try it.

Also, I have shot powerful shots while running with no problems. Don't know, but I need a tips guide on shooting.

L2/LT (player switch button) on freekicks only. RT/R2 (speed) for in-game shooting.

I use L2 to keep shots under control

Really? I'm confused.

I have not been using LT/L2. I will have to experiment. As I've said before, I have scored some screemers just outside the box by using RT/R2 immediately after pressing the shoot button without having to run. Also, try letting go of the RT while on the run just before you strike the ball, to slow the player down and then quickly squeeze the RT again as your player hits the ball for power.

This is so confusing as I play alternate, I think super cancel is going to be something so random I will never find it

I had the same, except it was pulled back for a penalty. Which I then proceeded to miss, and then went on to lose the game.

As I said earlier, I think this bug (which crops up at least three times in every game) is far worse than "player numbers in manager mode" which people are actually petitioning EA about.

They really need to release a patch to fix this and the through ball bug.

Happened to me as well. I scored that pen. Yeah they need to fix this!!

huge favor here..
can someone please set a game palmeiras x cruzeiro(both brazilian teams) at the default palmeiras stadium in day time...
i just had a terrible framerate issue in this macth...it was like 20fps...

nevermind...someone confirmed it on EA forums...its an issue with the 23 maj stadium

Last edited:
"...there is a direct correlation between shot speed and ball elevation based just on the how much you power up the shot meter. Also keep in mind that your player’s accuracy is greatly diminished if he is on a full sprint while shooting, as well as his lateral momentum at the time. A really good tip here is to let go of the sprint button, control your pace to gain composure, get the ball on your player’s preferred foot, and then let it rip. "

:LOL: Yea right... do all of that in a split second to get your shot off.

No wonder I cannot hit a cows arse with a banjo :(

Have some sympathy for me then! I've used the same key config for PES since the SNES days - which I think I originally set up because NHL'94 used it...

Triangle - Shoot
Square - Dash
Circle - Lob
X - Pass
L1 - Through Ball
R1 - Switch Player
L2 - Skills
R2 - Finisse

Thank god FIFA09 lets you edit the keys HOWEVER you want! :LOL:

how do i hit a finness free kick? i dont know if its with the regular finness shot because every time i hold it i hit canoon shots...i want a placed shot that dips after passing the wall.

I play alternate but switch sprint and finesse around so I'm fucked!

I do the same thing but only on PS3. When i play with the 360 pad I prefer the default alternate set up. The PS3 triggers mess me up so much. I have ordered the replacement triggers, hopefully that helps

Have some sympathy for me then! I've used the same key config for PES since the SNES days - which I think I originally set up because NHL'94 used it...

Triangle - Shoot
Square - Dash
Circle - Lob
X - Pass
L1 - Through Ball
R1 - Switch Player
L2 - Skills
R2 - Finisse

Thank god FIFA09 lets you edit the keys HOWEVER you want! :LOL:

What the hell? Square for dash and triangle to shoot???

how do i hit a finness free kick? i dont know if its with the regular finness shot because every time i hold it i hit canoon shots...i want a placed shot that dips after passing the wall.

Unlike the normal "match" control scheme, Freekicks are "finesse" by default. Holding LB (player switching button) delivers a power freekick.

To have the ball dip behind the wall, you need to get lots of topspin, and just the right amount of power to that the ball clears the wall but dips under the bar.

THe Freekick system is kind of weak since they only use the power gauge as a control for both power and height. While more power usually gives more height, I feel this system robs the player of alot of detailed control over the shape of the freekickers foot and such.

Basically, in real life, just by changing the shape of the foot, you can get a variety of different heights for shots with identical power. In FIFA you basically only have 2 height possibilities for any amount of power (1 higher arch for finesse freekicks, and 1 lower arch for power freekicks.

PES, by using both the d-pad (up, down or center) and additional buttons (Y, X) for each d-pad possibility, allows for 9 different trajectories at all times.

FIFA really needs a new system, so that freekicking can be made both more complex, and easier to use (in the sense that you'd have more control).

Unlike the normal "match" control scheme, Freekicks are "finesse" by default. Holding LB (player switching button) delivers a power freekick.

To have the ball dip behind the wall, you need to get lots of topspin, and just the right amount of power to that the ball clears the wall but dips under the bar.

THe Freekick system is kind of weak since they only use the power gauge as a control for both power and height. While more power usually gives more height, I feel this system robs the player of alot of detailed control over the shape of the freekickers foot and such.

Basically, in real life, just by changing the shape of the foot, you can get a variety of different heights for shots with identical power. In FIFA you basically only have 2 height possibilities for any amount of power (1 higher arch for finesse freekicks, and 1 lower arch for power freekicks.

PES, by using both the d-pad (up, down or center) and additional buttons (Y, X) for each d-pad possibility, allows for 9 different trajectories at all times.

FIFA really needs a new system, so that freekicking can be made both more complex, and easier to use (in the sense that you'd have more control).

thanx a lot for the explanation m8
ill give it a try ;)

I just wanna post a couple of these videos that I found and ask if anyone else is as disappointed with what EA have done to the free kicks this year? The motion of the ball in the air was incredibly realistic last season and maybe only needed to be tweaked a tad. Really I would have liked it if they'd made it possible to actually shoot over the wall and still be able to dip it below the bar with a driven shot ala Cristiano Ronaldo. This season though, as with a couple of other things, they appear to have tweaked the game too much in some aspects and nowhere is it more evident, in my opinion, than in these ridiculous free kicks that start on a line, and whip violently at the very end. Who saw this and thought that it was even slightly realistic? Not to mention the curlers that look like they're traveling along some sort of rail or being sucked into a vortex. Just take a look.

http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/1003759

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/1065655

I keep getting random commentary about somebody being injured when nothing has happened. :LOL:

Still at least they have got rid of "Shaun Wright Thicklips He's a real bundle of energy"

I just wanna post a couple of these videos that I found and ask if anyone else is as disappointed with what EA have done to the free kicks this year? The motion of the ball in the air was incredibly realistic last season and maybe only needed to be tweaked a tad. Really I would have liked it if they'd made it possible to actually shoot over the wall and still be able to dip it below the bar with a driven shot ala Cristiano Ronaldo. This season though, as with a couple of other things, they appear to have tweaked the game too much in some aspects and nowhere is it more evident, in my opinion, than in these ridiculous free kicks that start on a line, and whip violently at the very end. Who saw this and thought that it was even slightly realistic? Not to mention the curlers that look like they're traveling along some sort of rail or being sucked into a vortex. Just take a look.

http://www.eafootballworld.com/en_GB/video/1003759

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/1065655

Oh Geez.. :-\ They really do need to fix those FK's.

What button do you press to curl the ball that way, finesse button?

Oh Geez.. :-\ They really do need to fix those FK's.

What button do you press to curl the ball that way, finesse button?

Yeah, the RB on the 360 is the finesse shot. Makes it curve quite a bit, but it was damn near perfect in FIFA 08 and they've gone and taken it to a bit of an extreme this year. Last year a ball hit that hard and starting out that high, is going out of bounds.

Does anyone know why Liverpool and Tottenham doesn't have sponsors on their kits? Licens issues? And if I remember correctly, Santiago Bernabeu used to be included in Fifa before 08, does anyone know if there's any license issues with that as well?

Back
Top Bottom