FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Been away from the forums since the 1st, Overall this game is epic :)) Shame with the 250 improvements there seems to be 250 bugs this year :((

Yeah QA seems to have slacked but i think its due to shear amount of work put into game this year from many different areas in game.

Is this happening to anyone else? I still haven't decided if I will buy the PS3 or 360 version. If this is indeed the case, I might stick with 360

looks beaultifull in my 32" 720p lcd...
i did have a 360 pluged through VGA a while back, and i cant differ the quality of both images, and just to mention, im very picky with image quality(dont have a 1080p tv casue theuyre super expensive here in brazil)

my adivice for u: pick the one u like the controller best, or if ure a big online player, pick the one where your friends(online or not) are at.

a few too many posts and crossbars still in the MM but a minor complaint given the fun it's being, some doggy off sides and penalties almost replicating real life is keeping the MM very much alive at the mo...

m8, how is your league table?
im loving the game so far too..but im 18 games into the season and the EPL table looks very unrealistic with Tottenham leading followed by Blackburn, me(everton), manchester utd and newcastle...Chelsea is at 8th place,Livepool stands at 10th and arsenal is at a pitfull 15th place...

i just hope things gets sorted by the end of the season, with at least 3 of the top 4 in the top of the table.

btw, when im playing the game it just feels perfect...i have the thoughest time to play against the top 4 teams while i can quite dominate the lower teams and play confortably against lower div. teams. thats all at world class level.

looks beaultifull in my 32" 720p lcd...
i did have a 360 pluged through VGA a while back, and i cant differ the quality of both images, and just to mention, im very picky with image quality(dont have a 1080p tv casue theuyre super expensive here in brazil)

my adivice for u: pick the one u like the controller best, or if ure a big online player, pick the one where your friends(online or not) are at.

Thanks for the advice. Well right now I'm picking whichever one I can get my hands on first. I like using the dpad on the ps3 better, but I hate the triggers. So did your french copy have more than just the french commentary? which ones?

Had the game for a week now which has given me time to formulate some views.
Loving the game, plays superb. I've played more ps3 footy this week then in the last year, my friends all love it and have gone out a bought it(and yes we've been playing ISS since PS1).
Tactics are great, so are the diff playing styles, AI plays a very good game and multi player is fantastic.
Tried to tell one of my friends brothers who responded; 'playing fifa is like turning muslim'. The way i see it neither EA or Konami are my friends they both want my money. Me personally im going to invest mine in the best game whoever makes it. If 2k come out with a better football game i'll buy that. Times are hard and games are expensive, not buying something cause of its history is highly stupid.

Improvements me and the boys have thought of;
1:The jogging with the through balls need fixing
2:Player switchings a bit mad sometimes, closest player please
3:Random stadium/weather condtions option
4:When having a rematch the game should return to the formation screen so starting line up can be edited
5:Replay saving to hard drive
6:Easier way to sub/change kicker in game ala pro

Thats all we've come up with, each one quite minor but we always strive for perfection.

Prime example of ultra super duper stupidity...to the fourth power!:R1 People are missing out because they see PES as a religion, basically. :SHOCK:

Prime example of ultra super duper stupidity...to the fourth power!:R1 People are missing out because they see PES as a religion, basically. :SHOCK:

agreed, but for our muslim friends its like turning into a christian.:D

People need to face the reality that its just a game, and blind loyalty only hinders you from enjoying new things. It should be freedom of choice for both sets of games.

I have a problem with the BAP 10 on 10.
Everytime I join this game, my connection with host lost when the game is about to begin (already on the stadium).
Someone has this problem?

agreed, but for our muslim friends its like turning into a christian.:D

People need to face the reality that its just a game, and blind loyalty only hinders you from enjoying new things. It should be freedom of choice for both sets of games.

I could not agree more, but both FIFA and PES fanboys are guilty of this.

I have been playing PES for ages and I am seriously contemplating a switch to FIFA this year. I preferred PES, and let's be honest, until the last couple of iterations, FIFA's gameplay was not on par with PES. FIFA is now equal in gameplay and I am sick and goddamn tired of jumping through a million flaming hoops to get PES updated with all the uniforms and leagues. I have been doing it for years and it's time to stop. As a consumer, it is your duty to exercise your freedom of choice, that's what drives the free market. Competition is the heart of capitalism. PES has rested on its laurels and it won't get better until people start talking with their wallets. I guarantee you, a mass exodus to FIFA this year is the SUREST way to slap some sense into Konami. I'm not a PES fanboy, but I supported PES because I just want to play the best footy game I can get my hands. Now, it seems, PES has dropped the ball, and FIFA has picked it up.

OMG the menu's suck big time in this game!!! i spend most my time browsing the menu's then playing the damm game!!
lol what i mean is that if you want to find something from within the menus its a nightmare. last night me and 19 other people tried to setup a private BAP session and we took nearly half an hour to sort it out and at the end of it all me and others gave up.

its difficul to setup BAP sessions with friends on it:SS other then that, this game is golden

Can anyone help us out please?

I've been invited into a club team, i joined...however it was the wrong one...how on earth do i leave the bloody thing to join another?!? it's doing my nut in, i can't figure it out!

cheers!

Arrggghhhh all the little bugs are really starting to annoy me, there are so many of them that it is taking away from the experience now. Last night I managed to finally break into the first team on BAP. Really chuffed. Played 2 games had an rating above 8 in those games scored 2 goals in each of the games and then I am chucked back into the reserves.

Really annoying, why have EA created such a superb game and then QA missed out all the little stuff that could have been easily eradicated. I really hope they bring out a patch.

Yeah that happened to me at Real Madrid kamy, played in the first team and scored 3 in 3 then got dropped :LOL:. I just got my head down in the reserves and now I'm a first team regular :)).

I could not agree more, but both FIFA and PES fanboys are guilty of this.

I have been playing PES for ages and I am seriously contemplating a switch to FIFA this year. I preferred PES, and let's be honest, until the last couple of iterations, FIFA's gameplay was not on par with PES. FIFA is now equal in gameplay and I am sick and goddamn tired of jumping through a million flaming hoops to get PES updated with all the uniforms and leagues. I have been doing it for years and it's time to stop. As a consumer, it is your duty to exercise your freedom of choice, that's what drives the free market. Competition is the heart of capitalism. PES has rested on its laurels and it won't get better until people start talking with their wallets. I guarantee you, a mass exodus to FIFA this year is the SUREST way to slap some sense into Konami. I'm not a PES fanboy, but I supported PES because I just want to play the best footy game I can get my hands. Now, it seems, PES has dropped the ball, and FIFA has picked it up.

Would that really be enough though. It could be argued that Fifa never improved due to people leaving the series as Fifa has always sold well hasnt it? I think what would really help is reviewers being honest and actually pointing out the flaws to the PES games. Last year the game was a mess yet if u went by the gaming media u would never of thought so. This year it seems that just because the problems from last year are sorted the game is now the 'true next gen experience' people have waited for.

I mean now to avoid saying Fifa is better many are saying 'it really depends on if u want a realistic game or something less simulation'. If roles were reversed this would never be said as the better simulation would always come out on top.

I've managed to get some time in over the weekend to sit down for a proper play test of 09, conculsion...I love it. I have spent most of that time creating a player (me) and starting a BAP career with Southampton (I know, don't go there!).

It is great fun, I have played 9 matches so far, performed well in all of them but I am yet to make it into the First Team. I'm enjoying the fact that you know whether you are having an impact on the game, at an individual level. Sometimes I totally dominate the match, other times I am a bit part player.

Tis a great game, just wish I had more time to play it.

Would that really be enough though. It could be argued that Fifa never improved due to people leaving the series as Fifa has always sold well hasnt it? I think what would really help is reviewers being honest and actually pointing out the flaws to the PES games. Last year the game was a mess yet if u went by the gaming media u would never of thought so. This year it seems that just because the problems from last year are sorted the game is now the 'true next gen experience' people have waited for.

I mean now to avoid saying Fifa is better many are saying 'it really depends on if u want a realistic game or something less simulation'. If roles were reversed this would never be said as the better simulation would always come out on top.

I agree with you on that point as well, Liger. Reviewers should definitely have higher standards. It would certainly help.

I've managed to get some time in over the weekend to sit down for a proper play test of 09, conculsion...I love it. I have spent most of that time creating a player (me) and starting a BAP career with Southampton (I know, don't go there!).

It is great fun, I have played 9 matches so far, performed well in all of them but I am yet to make it into the First Team. I'm enjoying the fact that you know whether you are having an impact on the game, at an individual level. Sometimes I totally dominate the match, other times I am a bit part player.

Tis a great game, just wish I had more time to play it.

I have started with ribery at Bayern. First couple of games I didnt have much impact but now am really playing well. I love this mode so much!!!

m8, how is your league table?
im loving the game so far too..but im 18 games into the season and the EPL table looks very unrealistic with Tottenham leading followed by Blackburn, me(everton), manchester utd and newcastle...Chelsea is at 8th place,Livepool stands at 10th and arsenal is at a pitfull 15th place...

i just hope things gets sorted by the end of the season, with at least 3 of the top 4 in the top of the table.

btw, when im playing the game it just feels perfect...i have the thoughest time to play against the top 4 teams while i can quite dominate the lower teams and play confortably against lower div. teams. thats all at world class level.

I've started two, one 2 v AI with Arsenal sitting 4th, just had a bad loss to Middlesbrough at the Riverside 2-0, after a good run of 2 wins and 2 draws, not sure if it's a sign of thinks to come but Man City are five clear unbeaten at the top... :LOL:

My second is with Notts County 1 v AI in the lower reaches, almost plays a different game and finding goals a struggle, only played five games and lost both aways, sitting 11th so far but only three goals scored and two of those in one game.

Had an odd one last night, had a straight red after defending a shot at goal, got no replay of an off the ball or an earlier in the move incident. Their player was offside in the move and all my defenders were gesticulating the fact then after the ball went for a corner it cut to Diaby arguing with the ref who then pulled a straight red!... Dissent maybe?...

Arrggghhhh all the little bugs are really starting to annoy me, there are so many of them that it is taking away from the experience now. Last night I managed to finally break into the first team on BAP. Really chuffed. Played 2 games had an rating above 8 in those games scored 2 goals in each of the games and then I am chucked back into the reserves.

Really annoying, why have EA created such a superb game and then QA missed out all the little stuff that could have been easily eradicated. I really hope they bring out a patch.

That kind of thing happens in football. An player gets injured for example and a reserve player comes in and impresses. When the established pro recovers he often walks straight into the team.

I've started two, one 2 v AI with Arsenal sitting 4th, just had a bad loss to Middlesbrough at the Riverside 2-0, after a good run of 2 wins and 2 draws, not sure if it's a sign of thinks to come but Man City are five clear unbeaten at the top... :LOL:

My second is with Notts County 1 v AI in the lower reaches, almost plays a different game and finding goals a struggle, only played five games and lost both aways, sitting 11th so far but only three goals scored and two of those in one game.

Had an odd one last night, had a straight red after defending a shot at goal, got no replay of an off the ball or an earlier in the move incident. Their player was offside in the move and all my defenders were gesticulating the fact then after the ball went for a corner it cut to Diaby arguing with the ref who then pulled a straight red!... Dissent maybe?...

Probably a much earlier late challenge. It quite often doesn't show replays if some time has passed between the incident and play being stopped.

Did some reading up on the sliders yesterday and tried out a few "extreme" custom tactics and set them to my Quick Tactics buttons to switch between them during a match.

I'm genuinely surprised at how well they work. I was a bit sceptical when I fiirst read about them but they really are effective in recreating different styles of football.

I read the offical EA guide on the sliders which gives detailed descriptions of every aspect of the tactics and switching from tactic to tactic, you can immediately see the effect it has on all he players in your team (I was in be-a-pro mode so all my team-mates were cpu controlled), the runs they make, the positions the take up, the types of passing, the speed of play the type of defending.

I was trying a very short passing game with a "safe" attacking approach, and non-agressive, deep defedning. But my team was toiling (I was Norwich). So I switched to high tempo long-ball with aggressive defending, and the game totally changed. It was great to see them play lots of balls over the top and create chances, with Sibierski causing havoc, and the midfield and defence really hustle the other team off the ball.

Very impressed! Never expected it to be so good. Another break-through by EA.

A separate sliders thread would be a good idea. Too bad we can't share files ala PES option files (or can we?).

Yep, I've been trying different things and it defo makes a HUGE difference.

Even man-marking; I man marked two everton players who were causing me issues in mid-way thru the first half then by 60 odd minutes they'd both been subbed due to their lack of involvement I guess.

Quality.

Originally Posted by danhammer
the ps3 graphics issue is pissing me off aswell, playing fifa on a 40" hd sony bravia and the blurred picture is getting on my tits...i'm always fiddling with the picture to get it right but i just can't

when i previously owned a 360, i used the vga cable and the graphics were fucking brilliant...so pin sharp but the ps3 version is a big let down graphics wise for me, and it really shouldn't be the case

Is this happening to anyone else? I still haven't decided if I will buy the PS3 or 360 version. If this is indeed the case, I might stick with 360

You need to make sure your PS3 is set to output 720p, not 1080p - that helps with the blurring a LOT.

Also, on my Bravia, I have to have Theatre mode on, and sharpness set to 0 - it looks fantastic then.

BUT, it doesn't look nearly as good as the 360 version. It looks far lower res in comparison, and I'm convinced it's only 630p or 680p upscalled to help the frame rates. The 360 replays are smoother too.

The PS3 version feels nippier to me, and is definitely faster (and has full half replays).

Not sure which I prefer, as I like them both for different reasons, but I've only played the 360 version for an hour or so. Hoping to give it a good go tonight.

Damn you all!

After advice to not give up on it yet, I took a well earned break at the weekend and pretty much played FIFA constantly when I had gaming time.

And.... its growing on me! Once I tried to stop playing like PES and tried to think about it a bit more, the matches started opening up.

One of the things thats helping to save the game for me, is so simple. Its the 'shield' button (let go of left stick and hold down 'dash'). That way you can get a bit of time for yourself - even 1 second, without having the AI nip the ball off your toes.

And I'll also admit, I've had to really change the controller settings to make it more enjoyable and PES-like. Got most things on either 'Assisted' or 'Semi' now, with only lobs on manual (like PES). I even had to turn the shots to Assisted today as it was really annoying me making chances and then the shot dribbling wide of the post each time - not only did it look silly, it also meant most games are finishing 0-0 or 0-1.

I dont care that I suck at it and have to have some help, if it makes me enjoy the game more and have more fun with it - then its worth £37.

I'm Wycombe in my manager mode and I'm really enjoying the way teams play now and I'm getting some fun matches, where last year, it was all a bit of a dull grind in the lower leagues.

I could be changing my mind and keeping this now (and getting PES)...

I'm afraid that the through-ball bug is now getting bigger for me than the game itself. I mainly play offline in Manager mode and I'm seeing it in every game. Perfectly timed and weighted through-balls just cause my players to go mental, spinning around and shimmying. I spend my time braced for it to happen again, rather than enjoying the game. Talk about a turd in the punchbowl! Was this bug in the demo?

Back
Top Bottom