FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Mate all I can say is you're not palying it properly. I've never had a footy game flow so well. Had my mate over last night , a true hard core PES , D-Pad player. He was blown away and is now considering getting a 360 just for FIFA. The more I play the more I learn, I'm still a bit crap at dribbling and shielding but once I get those 2 sorted this game has no limits.

I think you are right - its a massive adjustment to PES and when you've been as used to PES as people like me have (every version since the first ISS), it takes a while.

That said, I'm at half-time at the moment in a friendly between Wycombe (me) and Port Vale and must say, I've really enjoyed this game and something feels like its clicking.

I've had to put most settings to at least semi and some to assisted to get it to feel more PES like, but this is a flowing game full of chances.

1-0 to Wycombe, the "Ginger Pele" Matt Harrold netting for the Chairboys!

FIFA seems to be creating a new sort of 'football gaming fan' - one that believes "you have to be a hardcore football fan to enjoy it". Its gaming snobbery.

I absolutely agree that FIFA is more realistic and I'm sure EA have an incredibly complicated physics engine chugging away underneath all the pretty graphics.

But I still maintain - and this is true across ALL games, there comes a point when realism = less fun. Just because something is realistic, doesnt automatically make it a good game.

You used GRID as an example...

Gran Turismo is more realistic (and admitedly superb), but GRID is 'more fun' to play.

Tiger Woods is more realistic than Everybody's Golf - but Everybody's Golf is more fun to play.

And I feel the same about FIFA and PES. And its not just a case of having FIFA a few days and chucking it in - it has very much the same feel of 08, which I became bored of after prolonged play.

With PES, I've never really had all the problems most of Evo Web have. AI cheats, on rails passing etc etc - to me, it just plays a more enjoyable game of football where it feels like anything can happen and every goal/game has the potential to be different.

I will keep trying with FIFA as it has 'something' and believe me, I do WANT it to be great and I do want to enjoy it as I feel with like 5% more tweaking, it could become an absolutely awesome on pitch experience.

But I'm glad so many people like it - and its a shame that PES and FIFA fans cannot appreciate that the other may like another style of game.

Well if these are the kinds of games you prefer then that's fine. I personally prefer tiger woods to everybody's golf and I also prefer GT to Grid (although I do like Grid). I find that I get 'more fun' from playing these games as they have much more depth, aren't as simplistic and have more to show me the more I play.

Yesterday and today I played my first "official" tournament with friends. It was impressive. 2 of my friends never played Fifa before and at the end they were going to buy it.

It was amazing and most of all: FUN. This game is so much fun on offline multiplayer it's just insane. From physics to the tactical sliders (Winston, I've put a long time on tactical sliders and they are really good, the most important innovation in 09 for me and something I had been expecting in PES for years).

Some negatives later, now I just want to relax...

Edit: Oh, and BTW, I won the torunament playing Manchester City. I began poorly until I found a way to exploit the fast strikers and the quality of Elano And Jo, so at the end I was an attacking machine and beated Juventus on the final (3-1). Manchester City is a very good team to taste the many aspects and depth of play of the game. You have quick players, but they are weak and you have to adjust your play and protect midfield, never giving the way for free and trying to end the plays shooting or crossing even if you don't have a very good position, just to not let the opponents exploit your weaknesses. Ace!

Last edited:
i have found out that this game cant be played at 100mph like PES

Use the run button at the wrong time and your gonna take a massive touch and have the ball taken off you. If you slow the game down you see how good the AI really is and how realistic teams play

Arsenal for example i was shocking with them when i held run down all the time then i stopped doing it and was using short sharp passes (you can find out how teams play by looking at there custom tactics) and the players always try to find space for you off the ball

So in short don't rush it take your time like in real life and you will love it

I had 4 injuries in the first 10 games in MM but my players didn't miss more than 1 match until now. I upgraded the fitness bar to 8/10 and now i don't have injuries and players recover their stamina everytime after a game :| I guess i will not upgrade the fitness bar next time too see if i get more injuries and tired players.
I have mine still on 3 and I've yet to have one, it really needs addressing badly...

What difficulty level are you guys playing with in MM? I´m having a good time playing in World Class but i´m getting a bit annoyed with the goals scored by the cpu ai , always headers :|

From physics to the tactical sliders (Winston, I've put a long time on tactical sliders and they are really good, the most important innovation in 09 for me and something I had been expecting in PES for years).

True, they are a fantastic innovation. They have such a dramatic effect on how your team plays which makes me think about just how complex the AI model must be.

It's not just a case of AI players passing to each other in a join-the-dots fashion, with the occassional scripted run by a winger, cross into the box when they get within 20 yards, shot when within 18 yards.

It's so varied. It's like they are little people with their own minds. The "1000 decisions a second" line they came out with last year starts to seem more credible now that they've developed the engine further.

The physics model is equally impressive. Again, you can see they've developed it further from last year and there's just so much that can happen.

The level of control you have is good but I'd still like to see the control system overhauled with some real innovation in future years (Trance_Allstar documents this brilliantly), but it's still as good as there's ever been.

10v10 on-line is a mighty technical achievement, again, much tighter and more responsive than last year, despite doubling the number of participants. I've yet to have any serious lag on my meagre 2mb connection.

I tried another match of the PES09 demo last night and it's just unbearable to play. It's so far behind that you just know Seabass is crapping himself.

What difficulty level are you guys playing with in MM? I´m having a good time playing in World Class but i´m getting a bit annoyed with the goals scored by the cpu ai , always headers :|
We play a 2 v AI which is always harder than 1 v AI don't know why, and we play a different setting for home games against teams in the bottom half of the table to the rest of the games, just so you don't get the same type of play and goals all season... :TU:

Mine's on 10/10 and I've had 1 injury in the first 4 games. A one-weeker as always. It's a shame the injury or discipline side isn't more in-depth. Call me cruel but I'd love to learn in the build up to my weekend match with Chelsea, the untouchable Didier Drogba was struck down with a Joey Barton tackle leaving him wheelchair-bound for 6 months, with Barton banned for 6 matches...

Might be false hope but I think the more people who like myself will be emailing EA as early as possible, the more chance we'll have of something happening next year. Something has to be done and I can't see any other option.

On a different note, I must say I'm impressed with the AI much more this year, it is so much better in my opinion. Might be different for people with different styles from mine but for the 4 games of my MM last night I could tell very little difference from the 4 or 5 online 1-vs-1 matches I'd played just before I started MM. I play on World Class by the way, as Spurs. Might start posting in the MM topic

"On a different note, I must say I'm impressed with the AI much more this year, it is so much better in my opinion."

I totally agree. The AI cheats from last year seem to have been run out of town.

^ Yea, the better teams that keep the ball, such as Arsenal, actually keep the ball because they usually have a man in space to pass to, not because they just do ridiculous dribbles and are untouchable!

"On a different note, I must say I'm impressed with the AI much more this year, it is so much better in my opinion."

I totally agree. The AI cheats from last year seem to have been run out of town.

Definitely, in world class i can score 2-3 goals against weaker teams and dominate the entire match with possesion football, this was very hard to achieve in 08.

guys im loving the game like u...
but can anyone help me to improve my crossing, i just cant get it right...
im using semi, and seems the defense AWAYS get the ball...and evan when i do get to header , all my headers go wide, and i have great headers like cahill, fellaini....

any help would be appreciated.

thanx

guys im loving the game like u...
but can anyone help me to improve my crossing, i just cant get it right...
im using semi, and seems the defense AWAYS get the ball...and evan when i do get to header , all my headers go wide, and i have great headers like cahill, fellaini....

any help would be appreciated.

thanx

Try pressing LB while crossing, it makes the ball more tense and tricky for defenders , don't forget to adjust the player position before crossing too, every little detail counts (player preferred foot / body position / speed / momentum / opposition pressure).

Try pressing LB while crossing, it makes the ball more tense and tricky for defenders , don't forget to adjust the player position before crossing too, every little detail counts (player preferred foot / body position / speed / momentum / opposition pressure).

thanx for the tip m8, what about the header??
mine awys go too high, evan with great headers like cahill
does it work like the shooting bar??

Is this the button that you use to put in an early cross from a deeper position? Just wanted to check coz I've customised my buttons!

You have to jostle and battle in the area for a good position, this is more important than the shooting bar i think.

I wonder why the shooting in the arena before a game is assisted. Annoying really because I use manual shooting but before the game in the arena every shot hits the goal no matter how much to the side I aim.

Placebo I'll write up my post and PM it to you tomorrow, thanks again.

No worries.

-Adidas live season update overwrites all edited data

Didn't you save a couple of copies of your edited data? If you played Fifa08 you'd have learned very quickly to save at least two copies because when you quit certain modes like manager mode it resets your rosters to default and then overwrites them! I keep one copy called Manager which is my edited ones and one called Online (for the 3 times a year I play online!) ;)

sorry to ask again...

The "best players" will play all on assisted because it's easier and they're all leaderboard whores who have the sole goal of being top of some meaningless online leaderboard.

WTF 3-5 man utd players have disappeared like Rooney, berbatov

WTF EA!!!! such an awesome game ruined by glitches

anyway to fix it and does anyone know what causes it

Have you signed up and are already using Adidas Live Season?

I better get some injuries soon in MM or I'm getting placebo to make sure they sort it in a patch...

I've had one so far in my GTFC MM game but I'm only a few matches in, was still only for a week sadly.

I had 4 injuries in the first 10 games in MM but my players didn't miss more than 1 match until now. I upgraded the fitness bar to 8/10 and now i don't have injuries and players recover their stamina everytime after a game :| I guess i will not upgrade the fitness bar next time too see if i get more injuries and tired players.

In Fifa08 I never liked to upgrade the fitness coach to more than around 5 or 6 because I like being "forced" to rotate my squad, anything 7 and a above and you can pretty much play the same 11 for every match, even midweek ones. That said in my League2 manager mode I'm having really bad fitness problems, I've already upgraded the fitness coach to 4 (he starts at 1) and for the following match my most fit players are on about 70% and have yellow fitness bars and some are on red (10% fit or something), challenging in the lower leagues!

Nah...In real football the ref will blow as soon as a player in an offside positon makes a genuine attempt to go for the ball. They rarely wait until the player has touched it.

The rule is when an offside player becomes active (ie moves towards the ball, blocks off a defender or interferes with the view of the goalkeeper) the ref should then call the offside.

I play on Professional, yes it's wuss mode to some but I play on all manual controls (except shooting) which makes it harder so I don't need to play on a higher level which can make the AI cheat more to compete.

Yes it works like the shooting bar, it also works on timing, jump under the ball and it will go over for example, try using the finesse button when heading.

Back
Top Bottom