FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Just started my second season on BAP: Seasons. Still noticing a lot fot he old "FIFAristics" i.e making my player stall so the CPU can take the ball from me.

Feels like the gameplay has been masked by the new animations, perhaps i need to give 08 a quick blast before i say that though.

Still, not knocking, more 'knit picking'... enjoying it a lot.

Oh yea, one slight downside:

In BAP everytime you ask for a pass, if the CPU decides not to pass it to you, you get marked down. I think, rather than encouraging you to pick and choose when you ask for the ball, its encouraging you not to get yourself involved in the game as, ultimately, its the CPU who has the final say no whether you call is "worthy" of response.

Quite a few times i've made a run from midfield to break through the opposition defence, or made myself space for a team mate under pressure and they've ignored my call and either lost the ball or passed to another player who is in no position to accept the pass and the ball is turned over.

Small i know but it really is annoying and imo not right. Along the same lines as; "Cross, teammate misses, -Pass"

Last edited:
One question to those who have the game already. Is the night lighting bad as it looked on past vids?

It's not improved on Fifa08. It depends on the stadium, though. I played a night game at the Allianz Arena and the whole pitch was lit, but at the Mestalla there was still darkness around the edges of the pitch. It's a shame as the lighting was nailed in the Euro game, as was the weather.

It's infuriating how EA can produce such a brilliant game, yet fuck-up on so many of the basics.:brick:

Aha yeah that's the exact video I was thinking of! It was you playing? Can you give any more details please, what kind of match were you playing? It was a through ball you played to your attacker? Manual/Semi/Assisted through ball? Thanks.

I'll convert it to wmv, brighten it a bit and send it to Suff to pass on to EA :)

that's what annoys me the most at the moment
it happens to the CPU basically in any match i make, no matter if BAP, MM oder friendlies
happens with through balls as well as with long passes
i think I can stop it with a super cancel but it really is frustrating

the gameplay is so fluid and great, i hope this will be fixed, but you know EA Sports attitude with patching :((

thanks for your efforts, maybe you can achieve something

Placebo I'll write up my post and PM it to you tomorrow, thanks again.

Spent all day playing MM and i absolutely love it but there are some things i would like to report:

-Teams celebrating draws/losses in the end of the game cut scene , (how weird is that?)
-In the start of a new season you can see players with scored goals but the teams they play for have zero games
-Adidas live season update overwrites all edited data

I think I remember seeing a picture of this in the game, but does anyone know if they have Manchester United with their red top and black shorts in the game?

sorry to ask again...

I would think the people that is high on ea leaderboards are playing on assisted, maybe some settings on semi. Because those settings make everything so much easier.

If you want a challange and play realistic then you should go with manual and some on semi. When I play BAP Season I have manual on everything but semi on normal passes so it is possible to hit longer passes without taking a second to fill up the meter. However when playing BAP online I will probably use some more on semi because I would assume that everyone else play ass/semi in that mode.

Really hate the through balls on manual, was perfect in euro and I can't use them at all now. takes forever to fill up the meter... Probably the one thing I hate the most with 09.

Last edited:

No, I haven't been able to upload either and I'd love to know the answer.

I'd also like to know if any other PS3 owners have been able to set up online games against specific other players.

I can join Quick matches against random bods fine, but when I try to set up or join a room to play someone in particular, it doesn't work. Tried last night and tonight to set up games against two friends We get to the team selection screen, and it freezes and kicks us out a few seconds later. None of our connections are at fault. I think... Anyone got any suggestions? The official EA forums are pretty silent about this, so I assume it's not a widespread issue.

Last edited:
I think I remember seeing a picture of this in the game, but does anyone know if they have Manchester United with their red top and black shorts in the game?

Not trying to clog up the thread, but I'm sure that somebody has played with or against Man United in the game. Do they have their red top and black short combination or is it only the red and white?

can't understand why they've changed night lihting from euro either - was perfect whereas now it doesn't resemble any stadium i've ever seen. Stadium europa, which seems to be wankdorf unlicensed has good night lighting.

anyone know how to get snow?

Guys I've been playing FIFA09 this weekend (Xbox360) and it's everything I expected.

However, I am finding online play shockingly bad.

- Every game is against some Inter/Barca/Brazil faggot.
- I play on all semi and some manual controls, but many people I've played against are surely using fully assisted controls and scoring some stupid goals, it's completely killing the realism for me.
- There is no way to force people to play semi, it's "any", "assisted" or full manual which no one seems to be playing with anyway. This is a really stupid move on EA's part as you are basically forced to play on any the whole time.
- You can't see the control settings of the other person, I want to at least know if the opponent is using auto shooting so I can switch it on to make it fair.
- The host should be able to set the game speed, is it all on normal? Because I swear I've played a few matches that have been running at warp speed.

I've been playing some multiplayer games with my bro on slow game speed with all semi or manual controls and it's been phenomenal, a true representation of football. I then go online and it's a bunch of gimps that want to play the game "arcade style".

Anyone annoyed by this, or are there options there that I am missing perhaps.

Cheers.

I just played a manager mode game at night. It was night for that match and then back to day again for the next. I hadn't adjusted my exhibition match settings either as I'd just loaded the game up. Are there any stadiums which only allow night matches?

WTF 3-5 man utd players have disappeared like Rooney, berbatov

WTF EA!!!! such an awesome game ruined by glitches

anyway to fix it and does anyone know what causes it

I play online but I've yet to see anyone play as Inter or Brazil, everyone seems to be Manchester United, I must've played over 20 different Man Utds, and loads of Chelsea's and Madrid's.

It makes it sweeter when I hammer them all as Villa, with them quitting once I get 3.

They all seem to play on assisted everything, then give the ball to Ronaldo and attempt to skin my whole back four, which isn't happening.

So what can you do about these noobs just whoring top teams with assisted controls? Nothing it seems? What the hell are EA playing at? This has totally ruined the online experience for me and I'm now in two minds as to whether I should shell out on a 360.

Bah! Its no good, I cannot kid myself to like FIFA. :(

I find it dull, frustrating and it doesnt flow like FIFA.

The manager mode is just as dull as nothing happens to your team, no injuries, no point in doing transfers.

The gameplay is 'ok'. I can see they have busted a gut and they are so NEARLY there for me.

What finally made my mind up is sitting here playing a MM game and each time a match kicks off I instantly think "wow, this is great. Looks fab, sounds fab - cannot wait to play the match" - but every game is the same grind, trying to create the same openings etc. I can barely get any shots off - and I know I dont like it as I'm not very good at the game (how you guys play on World Class I'll never know).

I'll be listing this for sale next week methinks.

Sorry FIFA, I tried to love you!

Bah! Its no good, I cannot kid myself to like FIFA. :(

I find it dull, frustrating and it doesnt flow like FIFA.

The manager mode is just as dull as nothing happens to your team, no injuries, no point in doing transfers.

The gameplay is 'ok'. I can see they have busted a gut and they are so NEARLY there for me.

What finally made my mind up is sitting here playing a MM game and each time a match kicks off I instantly think "wow, this is great. Looks fab, sounds fab - cannot wait to play the match" - but every game is the same grind, trying to create the same openings etc. I can barely get any shots off - and I know I dont like it as I'm not very good at the game (how you guys play on World Class I'll never know).

I'll be listing this for sale next week methinks.

Sorry FIFA, I tried to love you!
So you give up on FIFA after 2 days, love the PES demo and love GRID. I get the picture that you are not the sort of person who likes realistic games :-pp.

If you can't create chances:
1) Try manual controls for lob passes and through balls, really gives you the freedom to play killer passes.
2) Be more patient, playing the PES style is useless, keep the ball.
3) Mess around with the tactics until you find a combination which suits you.

If you still don't single player after trying that, then there's always BAP Seasons, a very good mode :)).

Getting frustrated after a couple of days and giving in and then going and playing an easy and arcadey game in PES seems a bit silly to me :-ll.

I still get frustrated with FIFA sometimes, I think everyone does, but god trading it in already for PES? Noooo don't do it!

I am loving BAP online at the moment, really good. I'm also into my 6th day on manager mode, bit annoyed that you can't manually change kit numbers but oh well, the gameplay is great. Going to start a BAP offline seasons session soon, not sure whether to make a whole new player or an existing one.

Back
Top Bottom