FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

FIFA is not a game without frustration. Frankly, no game is... It's a lot less frustrating than FIFA, and winners are definitely decided more by skill than last time. It's just the downside of having a very complicated physical game, without having the same accuracy with the animations. Pretty much all problems come from players not reacting as well as they would in real life, either in AI decisions, or by lack of an animation which fits.

Honestly, though, if you are just failing to get the chances you want, you need to play more, or drop the difficulty level.

Last edited:
I got a groin strain, ahem, on Drogba but it only lasted a few days. Bah. I do hope we get injury's that last a few months because that would make MM much more interesting.

fuck no man, i sold alot of my defenders and wingers and couldnt replace them so i am stuck with a thin ass squad lolllolol so please FIFA NO INJURIES :P

there is also the offside rule needs to be changed in fifa ref blows before i even touch the ball..... should only get call once i touch the ball

Anybody who's played with Manchester United, do you know if they have the red top and black shorts combination for their kit at all. I know that they have the home, away, and third shirts, but I think I remember seeing a picture of the game with the United players in the red and black. Anyone?

fifa is great, you have to really carve out chances...which is what real football is all about....but some people are happy to have end to end action

played my brother last night online (he lives about 200 miles away), and the first two games finished as draws....which happens

Anybody who's played with Manchester United, do you know if they have the red top and black shorts combination for their kit at all. I know that they have the home, away, and third shirts, but I think I remember seeing a picture of the game with the United players in the red and black. Anyone?

No, they dont.

So you give up on FIFA after 2 days, love the PES demo and love GRID. I get the picture that you are not the sort of person who likes realistic games :-pp.

If you can't create chances:
1) Try manual controls for lob passes and through balls, really gives you the freedom to play killer passes.
2) Be more patient, playing the PES style is useless, keep the ball.
3) Mess around with the tactics until you find a combination which suits you.

If you still don't single player after trying that, then there's always BAP Seasons, a very good mode :)).

Getting frustrated after a couple of days and giving in and then going and playing an easy and arcadey game in PES seems a bit silly to me :-ll.

FIFA seems to be creating a new sort of 'football gaming fan' - one that believes "you have to be a hardcore football fan to enjoy it". Its gaming snobbery.

I absolutely agree that FIFA is more realistic and I'm sure EA have an incredibly complicated physics engine chugging away underneath all the pretty graphics.

But I still maintain - and this is true across ALL games, there comes a point when realism = less fun. Just because something is realistic, doesnt automatically make it a good game.

You used GRID as an example...

Gran Turismo is more realistic (and admitedly superb), but GRID is 'more fun' to play.

Tiger Woods is more realistic than Everybody's Golf - but Everybody's Golf is more fun to play.

And I feel the same about FIFA and PES. And its not just a case of having FIFA a few days and chucking it in - it has very much the same feel of 08, which I became bored of after prolonged play.

With PES, I've never really had all the problems most of Evo Web have. AI cheats, on rails passing etc etc - to me, it just plays a more enjoyable game of football where it feels like anything can happen and every goal/game has the potential to be different.

I will keep trying with FIFA as it has 'something' and believe me, I do WANT it to be great and I do want to enjoy it as I feel with like 5% more tweaking, it could become an absolutely awesome on pitch experience.

But I'm glad so many people like it - and its a shame that PES and FIFA fans cannot appreciate that the other may like another style of game.

Have you tried BAP anything? Personally I think normal singleplayer in FIFA is still pants because your own team AI are so bad and don't try to help you out. But in BAP the AI is amazing and there are no cpu cheats at all. I sometimes used to play with fixed player in PES and I can tell you that the AI in FIFA is miles better than PES. Can't even compare the two. Really amazing what EA has done there.

Have you tried BAP anything? Personally I think normal singleplayer in FIFA is still pants because your own team AI are so bad and don't try to help you out. But in BAP the AI is amazing and there are no cpu cheats at all. I sometimes used to play with fixed player in PES and I can tell you that the AI in FIFA is miles better than PES. Can't even compare the two. Really amazing what EA has done there.

Yea, I've got a BAP Season running, which is ok and I've done some online BAP which is very good.

Thats one of the factors I'll consider if I'm going to keep it, but the PES BAL mode interests me alot, so that could fill that hole come the 17th.

Guys I've been playing FIFA09 this weekend (Xbox360) and it's everything I expected.

However, I am finding online play shockingly bad.

- Every game is against some Inter/Barca/Brazil faggot.
- I play on all semi and some manual controls, but many people I've played against are surely using fully assisted controls and scoring some stupid goals, it's completely killing the realism for me.
- There is no way to force people to play semi, it's "any", "assisted" or full manual which no one seems to be playing with anyway. This is a really stupid move on EA's part as you are basically forced to play on any the whole time.
- You can't see the control settings of the other person, I want to at least know if the opponent is using auto shooting so I can switch it on to make it fair.
- The host should be able to set the game speed, is it all on normal? Because I swear I've played a few matches that have been running at warp speed.

I've been playing some multiplayer games with my bro on slow game speed with all semi or manual controls and it's been phenomenal, a true representation of football. I then go online and it's a bunch of gimps that want to play the game "arcade style".

Anyone annoyed by this, or are there options there that I am missing perhaps.

Cheers.
You can choose to have the control settings for yourself and opponent when you create a game,then you have to wait and see if anyone excepts your rules.

I better get some injuries soon in MM or I'm getting placebo to make sure they sort it in a patch...

I had 4 injuries in the first 10 games in MM but my players didn't miss more than 1 match until now. I upgraded the fitness bar to 8/10 and now i don't have injuries and players recover their stamina everytime after a game :| I guess i will not upgrade the fitness bar next time too see if i get more injuries and tired players.

Yeah I was waiting to see how high I should upgrade my fitness to, in 08 I went to level ten asap but then I ended up playing the same team for the whole season Ive got it at level 6 or 7 now so will have to see how tired or not everybody gets as I want to have to rotate.

Why does Anfield always look like a sack of shit? I play as Liverpool and never look forward to playing there because it looks nothing like it. The crowd are too far away from the pitch. The red/brown 'track' around the pitch is nowhere to be seen and the turf pattern isn't right at all : (

I can sense a sub-thread coming up with everyone's tactical slider adjustments......

Did some reading up on the sliders yesterday and tried out a few "extreme" custom tactics and set them to my Quick Tactics buttons to switch between them during a match.

I'm genuinely surprised at how well they work. I was a bit sceptical when I fiirst read about them but they really are effective in recreating different styles of football.

I read the offical EA guide on the sliders which gives detailed descriptions of every aspect of the tactics and switching from tactic to tactic, you can immediately see the effect it has on all he players in your team (I was in be-a-pro mode so all my team-mates were cpu controlled), the runs they make, the positions the take up, the types of passing, the speed of play the type of defending.

I was trying a very short passing game with a "safe" attacking approach, and non-agressive, deep defedning. But my team was toiling (I was Norwich). So I switched to high tempo long-ball with aggressive defending, and the game totally changed. It was great to see them play lots of balls over the top and create chances, with Sibierski causing havoc, and the midfield and defence really hustle the other team off the ball.

Very impressed! Never expected it to be so good. Another break-through by EA.

A separate sliders thread would be a good idea. Too bad we can't share files ala PES option files (or can we?).

Did some reading up on the sliders yesterday and tried out a few "extreme" custom tactics and set them to my Quick Tactics buttons to switch between them during a match.

I'm genuinely surprised at how well they work. I was a bit sceptical when I fiirst read about them but they really are effective in recreating different styles of football.

I read the offical EA guide on the sliders which gives detailed descriptions of every aspect of the tactics and switching from tactic to tactic, you can immediately see the effect it has on all he players in your team (I was in be-a-pro mode so all my team-mates were cpu controlled), the runs they make, the positions the take up, the types of passing, the speed of play the type of defending.

I was trying a very short passing game with a "safe" attacking approach, and non-agressive, deep defedning. But my team was toiling (I was Norwich). So I switched to high tempo long-ball with aggressive defending, and the game totally changed. It was great to see them play lots of balls over the top and create chances, with Sibierski causing havoc, and the midfield and defence really hustle the other team off the ball.

A separate sliders thread would be a good idea. Too bad we can't share files ala PES option files (or can we?).

I'm not sure, but I think you can share sliders with your friends within the game. You have an 'EA Locker' where you can save sliders, screenshots etc and then friends can browse you Locker within the game and I assume, download your files...

As I say, not tested it, but thats what it looked like to me.

Sliders can be shared online. Shame your on PS3.

Bah! Its no good, I cannot kid myself to like FIFA. :(

I find it dull, frustrating and it doesnt flow like FIFA.

The manager mode is just as dull as nothing happens to your team, no injuries, no point in doing transfers.

The gameplay is 'ok'. I can see they have busted a gut and they are so NEARLY there for me.

What finally made my mind up is sitting here playing a MM game and each time a match kicks off I instantly think "wow, this is great. Looks fab, sounds fab - cannot wait to play the match" - but every game is the same grind, trying to create the same openings etc. I can barely get any shots off - and I know I dont like it as I'm not very good at the game (how you guys play on World Class I'll never know).

I'll be listing this for sale next week methinks.

Sorry FIFA, I tried to love you!

Mate all I can say is you're not palying it properly. I've never had a footy game flow so well. Had my mate over last night , a true hard core PES , D-Pad player. He was blown away and is now considering getting a 360 just for FIFA. The more I play the more I learn, I'm still a bit crap at dribbling and shielding but once I get those 2 sorted this game has no limits.

The crossing is absolutley horrible, its like watching Jermaine Pennant cross a ball filled with Helium.

I also hate the crossing in general, even though you can occasionally whip out an absolute gem. I also find that ground passing inside the box to be incredibly awkward.

I don't like using assisted through balls or passing, but I detest the way in which [on manual] you have to hold a button for 1/2 seconds to get any amount of power on a pass, by which time you've lost the ball.

what settings do you use for crossing placebo? which do you find to be best, im loving the game, but like others im not to keen on the crosses, the headers are good when they happen, but my crossing has been shockingly bad. do u hold the left bumper when you cross, my crosses always seem to go behind everyone like i cross and am trying to cross to the middle but it crosses to the edge of the box.

any detailed crossing tips would be much appreciated.

thanx

All you need to do with crossing is get at a decent angle hold LB and get some power on it

i have delivered some stunning crosses by doing that, ill post a video later showing a whipped ball in

actually i have some already

Dailymotion - Fifa 09 Header 3, a video from Coopz08. fifa, header, 3

Dailymotion - Fifa 09 Header 2, a video from Coopz08. fifa, header, 2

BTW they are fast crosses but as you can see the replays are in slow motion

I changed my arena player to Ronaldo last night and then got Ronaldinho in a Utd shirt.
Haha that sort of thing happens to me quite a lot, it's when I come out of a mode like a tournament or BAP Seasons.
I had Carlos as my arena player when I started a tournament, but switched him to Rooney once I came out of that tournament, then the next time I went into and quit the tournament I had Carlos in a United shirt.
The same thing happened with Cantona when I leave the BAP Seasons mode, that was pretty cool though having Cantona in a United shirt :DD.

It's uses the arena player you had at the start of the tournament but puts them in the kit of the team your current arena player plays in.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is also the offside rule needs to be changed in fifa ref blows before i even touch the ball..... should only get call once i touch the ball

Nah...In real football the ref will blow as soon as a player in an offside positon makes a genuine attempt to go for the ball. They rarely wait until the player has touched it.

Back
Top Bottom