FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Sorry mate, did not read the whole thing... I'd have to question buying a PS3 just for one game unless money is no object or like me you play the thing to death, are you a big gamer, do you own a ps2 or Xbox?

Though if you like movies you have a good Blue Ray player too...

Or if you like Metal Gear Solid...

But for a sports game no.

LOL, does the game also allow you to alter nationalities as well? I remember last year that Kazim Kazim of Turkey (who's real name is Colin Kazim Richards as he is both Turkish and English but plays for the Turkish NT) was listed only as English for his nationality so I wasn't able to transfer him to the Turkish squad.

You can change nationality in Fifa09 yes, just changed Akpo from English to Nigerian :)

Quick question, is it possible to put the player's name over the head of the player as in PES? In the FIFA demo there was only the option for the arrow over the head of the player selected, can the name be over the head instead?

It's a big help for us blind folk who want to play zoomed out.

don't bother brunnoce, i bought mine here in france, as it came earlyer on tuesday, i had to give it back as the comentary and the text was ONLY in french, i ordered the english version from amazon two days ago, i hope it will arrive tomorrow, can't wait to play it again

REally are u sure?
Ps3?

Cause the guy who sold me told me that he is 100% sure theres portuguese Text(that will do for me)
he just couldnt confirm the commentaries that are in...if theres spannish ill be ok...althoug i would much prefer everything in english...

I'm wondering, does anyone know how to go about setting up a BAP Club match? Is there a separate menu choice or do you have to do something else. I'm in the U.S. and don't have the game yet but I've read something that I can't believe regarding the mode and I'm just trying to find out from those that have played it how you actually meet up with your Club members to play a game.

To play a game everyone meets up in the locker room or whatever it's called. Then when you have enough players you just press the button and it starts to search for another team to play against. That is how it works on NHL 09 and it looks exactly the same in fifa, so I guess it's like that.

To play a game everyone meets up in the locker room or whatever it's called. Then when you have enough players you just press the button and it starts to search for another team to play against. That is how it works on NHL 09 and it looks exactly the same in fifa, so I guess it's like that.

Correct :TU:

just got to say fifa 09 is what a next gen game should be,it really is a special game. picked it up earlier and im hooked,this is the 1st first fifa game ive bought and i have to say i wont play anything else this side of xmas

Hey goalgerd Totally agree it really is top notch, I knew it would be good from playing the Demo but its even better than I hoped for. Your laughing anyway with shamrock rovers in there. Just hoping that the Irish league will be in it sometime Id love Linfield to be in it and it would be be great to play a type of Setanta cup.

Dammit, play asia won't ship the game i ordered until October 14th , i will not resist guys .I'ma do something very silly soon:OT:

all my 10v10 games tonight have been laggy

i guess it is to do with how many people are on the servers as lastnight it was fine

1v1 was fine tho

Hey goalgerd Totally agree it really is top notch, I knew it would be good from playing the Demo but its even better than I hoped for. Your laughing anyway with shamrock rovers in there. Just hoping that the Irish league will be in it sometime Id love Linfield to be in it and it would be be great to play a type of Setanta cup.

yeah i started a BAP with myself in the rovers team,i did the stats and im the best player in the league haha,scored a hatrick in my first game against bohs and then got sent off,the game is class:TU: they should have put Linfield in the other teams league considering they are the best team in the irish league

Last edited:
all my 10v10 games tonight have been laggy

i guess it is to do with how many people are on the servers as lastnight it was fine

1v1 was fine tho

It's usually a result of the host or someone within' the game. If their connection is very bad it'll lag up the game for the rest of you guys as well. At least that was the case in '08. I'm sure the same conditions apply to this one too though.

Got Fifa 09 today. Started Manager Mode as celtic and got to say the AI is great on this game. I played 4-3-3 with 2 wide strikers with no defensive duties, full backs pushed up always going forward and 2 centre midfield players also supporting the 3 strikers. Anyway every single side I played were taking advantage of the huge gaps in my side out wide and the fact that me defense had no protection at all.

Played a couple of be a pro matches with Ribery at Bayern. Quality!!!!

Got Fifa 09 today. Started Manager Mode as celtic and got to say the AI is great on this game. I played 4-3-3 with 2 wide strikers with no defensive duties, full backs pushed up always going forward and 2 centre midfield players also supporting the 3 strikers. Anyway every single side I played were taking advantage of the huge gaps in my side out wide and the fact that me defense had no protection at all.

Played a couple of be a pro matches with Ribery at Bayern. Quality!!!!

So you're actually able to alter your tactics to tell specific players to push up. Like can you tell your LB or your RB push up or does it have to be both of the fullbacks?

LOL, had to share this bit: A bunch of people on the EA community boards were asking David Rutter and really any EA rep that was on the boards if there was going to be a patch later on to allow us to edit the kit numbers in Manager Mode. Here was Mr. Rutter's response [Note: the response addressed a number of issues, this is just the part pertaining the Manager Mode question]:

"...The changing numbers in MM was removed this year. I've been told it's because a tiny fraction of users used this fairly expensive to maintain feature. It seems from the voices on here that was a mistake, but we'll not be able to fix this in a patch for 09 by the sounds of things..."

^ Seriously? :SS How do they know how many people used an offline feature? And how is that expensive to maintain?

Last edited:
Come live here for 5 years, then I'll let you in the England team ;)

That would benefit England! They need all the help they can get playerwise. IMO. Not insulting, just saying...I'm honest. Spain too...we weren't that good until the run leading up to the Euro Cup title.

what a wonderful game :P am on level 4 in online mode
played: 24 matches W:20 L:4

but am waitting for addidas live season to update my arsenal stats after today match with sunderland :P

PSN ID: NshNsh
if any one wanna be my next Target :P

Got FIFA09 on Thursday and decided to play it as much as possible before giving my opinion. Overall I am enjoying it, lots of options and so far ahead of PES it's unbelievable but IMO it's not as good as the demo. The responsiveness seems closer to FIFA08 than the demo which I'm sure I'll get used to but i gotta say my heart sank when i found myself pressing buttons and having to wait a second before the action took place and I just can't seem to turn sharply at all. I'm not talking 180 degrees here. I'm talking 45 and 90 degrees, just seems sluggish. I feel like I am crushing the control pad during the game trying to get my players to move. Now don't get me wrong although this is a major issue for me, I got used to it in FIFA 08 and this version is a big enough improvement in other areas to keep me busy for a while.

Here's my thoughts:

Pros:-

Custom Tactics
Need both players to agree to skip cutscenes/replays (love this)
Animations are awesome
Can see the crowd when playing (Tele - height down)
Collision System
Goalkeepers release ball quicker
Net Physics
Stadiums
Atmosphere
Faces (except eyes)
Ball Physics
Dipping volleys
Custom camera angles

Cons:-

Responsiveness (still too sluggish)
Keepers dive dramatically when ball is trundling past them
Close control not as effective as 08
Through ball takes too long to charge up
Advantage rule flaws
Replay framerate
Replay angles (why always from below player?)
Hold button for close control and player dummies ball
Those bloody "Lets FIFA09" signs next to goals (looks awful)
Super Cancel (player slows down when you pull out of run)
Weather issues (as previously mentioned)
Players zombie eyes
Quick unranked match option (takes bout 5 mins to find in menu)
Player switching (as previously mentioned)
Keepers still seem hesitant coming out when button pressed
Too many outside of the foot shots
Player movement doesn't seem free (still on rails)
MM mode issues (as previously mentioned)
No replays of reason for booking after advantage has been played
First time finesse shots are sometimes dummied
High passes cant be knocked forward first time (with chest or head) when pushing right stick

Would like to see in FIFA10:-

Quick free kick
Real time cutscenes/celebrations/bookings etc
Longer replays
Highlights mode (ala Halo's Theater Mode)
Face Import (Tiger08) for all players (so I can put proper faces for generic faces or better faces for official faces - if possible)
Tall players automatically come up for corners
Choose whether to head the ball or volley it (it's fairly random just now)
Editing suite (PES)
Save replays to HD (EA Sportsworld sucks)
Quick select for set piece taker / lay off man
Set play creator
Correct fans celebrate goal (not just stand up and sit down)
If connection is lost during a game on live, say who disconnected/got cut off

Sort the cons and implement the wish list, not much to ask is it Rutter?;))

Adidas Live Season is definitely messing up my game, I can't play with Spurs until its sorted. This morning more players have disappeared.

2910927291_01412b6dec.jpg

:brick:

Back
Top Bottom