FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Still waiting for my basturd (different every day) postie's. if it doesn't come today going out and buying it, had enough (fucking Play!)

So have they fixed things in the past with prev games, with patches ?
(not used to that as been a Pes player)

No....not really. They added Be A Pro in a patch last year but that was a promised feature that just never made release date.

yeh EA are bastards... that's why David Rutter was posting on the EA's Forums last night gathering info for FiFa10 along with other EA Sports Staff right? lol

i'm positive that manager mode will be sorted by then. it was something he mentioned a few times in his media round without provocation.

EA Forums are completely fucked right now (400 Bad Request
nginx/0.6.32) so can't check, did he make comments about the manager mode?

No....not really. They added Be A Pro in a patch last year but that was a promised feature that just never made release date.

The 5v5 update also included a couple of fixes/tweaks:

Ronaldihno bug where if you didn't have him as your arena player you had to download the squad update everytime you played online.

Fixed Toronto's name to be FC Toronto instead of Toronto FC (or vice versa can't remember which).

Lowered AI accuracy from free kicks at Professional and below.

There were more I am certain of it but EA never released a full list.

Some people have been having the same problem as me:

Fifa / Xbox Live crashes after the update. Its possible we've also found the problem. It seems that if your downloading the PES2009 demo whilst playing fifa, it completley breaks your xbox live.

The only solution is to either reformat the HDD / delete the cache.

I wonder if its EA or Konami's fault for this. It could also be that any download gets affected and not only the pes demo, its just that everyone who's reporting rpoblems is downloading PES.

The 5v5 update also included a couple of fixes/tweaks:

Ronaldihno bug where if you didn't have him as your arena player you had to download the squad update everytime you played online.

Fixed Toronto's name to be FC Toronto instead of Toronto FC (or vice versa can't remember which).

Lowered AI accuracy from free kicks at Professional and below.

There were more I am certain of it but EA never released a full list.

Well at least they do something, so thats encouraging, Konami have never been too keen to do anything significant.

Some people have been having the same problem as me:

Fifa / Xbox Live crashes after the update. Its possible we've also found the problem. It seems that if your downloading the PES2009 demo whilst playing fifa, it completley breaks your xbox live.

The only solution is to either reformat the HDD / delete the cache.

I wonder if its EA or Konami's fault for this. It could also be that any download gets affected and not only the pes demo, its just that everyone who's reporting rpoblems is downloading PES.

I don't think FIFA copes well with downloads in the background. The demo crashed for me whenever the 'download completed' notification was due to come up. And FIFA09 has just crashed on loading under the same circumstances.

do we know if ea is aware of the "can't change squad number" bug in manager mode? and any idea if it will be possible to fix this via a downloadable patch?

After my first night with FIFA 09, I'm really impressed for all the reasons already pointed out here. Few things I don't like though:

- Way too many penalties.
- What's the game speed setting for? I don't notice any difference between slow, normal and fast.
- Advantage rule is ridiculous. Ref waves play on, opponent loses the ball in a fair duel some ten seconds later and they still get a free kick for the previous foul.
- I can't upload any replays. It says that the website is currently not available. At first I thought it wasn't active until today, the official release date, but I just checked and it still doesn't work. And there are replays on the site. Is this a known problem?

Other than that, great game.

Last edited:
do we know if ea is aware of the "can't change squad number" bug in manager mode? and any idea if it will be possible to fix this via a downloadable patch?

It's not a bug, it's a completely removed feature so I can't believe they don't know about it, and don't see it being "fixed" via an update, sadly :(

Have been playing the game for three consecutive days now...
I like it very much.
The penalties that are mentioned on this page, that's strange...i've been playing at least 30 matches and i haven't seen a single one...

There is only one thing that i don't like and fortunately it just happened two or three times...there's a sort of "stutter" when i score goal now and then...i shoot on goal and it turns out i have scored, but i haven't seen the actual goal. I can see it perfectly well in the replays...and like i said i've only had it two or three times...did anyone notice anything similar (i have the PS3 version).

Oh and i still think that the differences between individual players and teams are marginal...that's what i always liked in the other game.

I don't think FIFA copes well with downloads in the background. The demo crashed for me whenever the 'download completed' notification was due to come up. And FIFA09 has just crashed on loading under the same circumstances.

problem is, it just doesn't cause fifa to crash anymore. Once its messed up then as soon as you try and sign into live, it crashes

Finally the postie came good so I've played 4 matches thus far.

The first was a regular exhibition me v cpu match. Manual player switching is terrible, virtually never goes to the man you want. Using the RAS to point to which man as often as not switches to a guy in the opposite direction. Probably won't play that mode ever again.

I then tried 3 Be-a-pro matches. Absolutely brilliant! A joy to play. The reponsiveness is excellent. The close control, the first time passes/shots, it's all feels so tight and so right. Even using the tricks have a tightness to them so you're not waiting for some clumsy anuimation to unfold, by which time you've lost the ball.

You can jump early for balls, stretch late to make a last ditch challenge.You seem to control your guy all the time. I keep forgetting at goal kicks that the cpu is no longer forcing my guy run to his "position"...I'm actually still controlling him.

The AI plays with such intelligence. Your team-mates tackle and jostle like you would want them to. They vary the play. They play some amazing one-touch stuff, show great imagination. They create chances and score goals all by themselves without you having to be at the heart of everything. And when you do get involved, the don't feed you useless passes which the cpu invariably intercept, or delay unitl the moment has passed. They even "see" when you're in space or making a good run and pass to you without you even having to ask for it. Even from 60 yards.

The cpu team actually makes mistakes, quite often. They even sometimes just hoof clearances into the stands, rather than every defensive clearance being an impossible 180 degrees turn/60 yard pixel perfect pass all in one move.

The refs are actually sometimes fair. The cpu team will tackle you and the ref will actually award you a free-kick (shock horror!). And your defenders can make challeneges/tackles without it automatically being a free-kick to the cpu team. What are EA playing at here? Surely the whole point of computer refs is to be 100% biased in favour of the cpu team.

Played one be-a-pro match, Arsenal (me) against Grimsby. No faulty underdog logic at play here. We won 8-0. Grimbsy hardly touched the ball first half. 2nd half, they managed to pump a few long balls forward and create a couple of scrappy half-chances from set-pieces, but the Arsenal defence was generally far too strong and jostled them off the ball. The Grimbsy defence weakened towards the end and we easily opened them up to pick off a few late goal and rub in the misery. And Grimsby weren't given that traditional last 5 minutes cpu boost with a scripted goal. The game just played out fair until the final whistle. Bizarre!

One nice moment during my first Be-a-pro match, Wycombe (me) v Barnet. We'd had a corner which end up in their keepers hands. All the players went back up field ready for the kick from the keeper, but one of our strikers remained up to hustle the Barnet keeper. As the keeper went to take the drop-kick from his hands, he stumbled under pressure from the striker, swung his leg but the ball hit his knee and rolled out beyond the edge of the 18 yard box. The striker made as dash for it, as did a Barnet defender dashing back to help. The striker just got there first and tried to hit a shot on the turn, but fired it well wide. Was nice to see such detailed moments unfold all by themselves as I just sat and watched.

On the negative side, still moments when you need super-cancel and there are still times when it doesn't have any effect. Also, you still get marked down for getting in a cross but it not going straight to a team-mates head.

Haven't played be-a-pro career yet so perhaps cpu cheats-a-plenty await, but so far, it's the best single-player footy experience I've ever played, and by a long chalk.

And the mighty 10v10 online beckons.

Last edited:
Early days, Dags...early days. ;)

It's the new modes that do it (on-line and be-a-pro). If this game was still just the old school 1-player game (ie. you control all 10 players against a cheating cpu), I wouldn't be impressed. But I'm not going to dwell on that mode as I feel it has nothing to offer any more.

I love the fact that you can play the game your way.

So if you are somebody like Bolton you can hoof long balls up front to Davies and you can have some success.

Hi guys...

I'm buying a new Ps3 this afternoon and i'm thinking of buying FIFA 2009 too...

Since i haven't played the demo,i'd like to ask you if it's possible to

a)To aim you pass at a specific spot in the field like in the pc version (using the mouse).

b)Make an 1-2 pass,giving the ball to your teamate and then run FREE in the field before deciding to request it back.
(that's it...not just running automatically a few yards in a straight line..)

Yhank you very much in advance.

I like that fact, that you can actually play football on the ground in the football league. Times in the lower league's have changed and I think FIFA 09 has adpated to that quite well.

Certain teams still feel the same, but the difference between the best teams in the division and the weakest teams in the division, as well as throwing up the odd suprise results, which happens from time to time, is noticeable this series.

I'm really enjoying how the CPU teams clearly play with different styles. You can see how some teams sit deep and try and hit you on the counter, others play with a high line and press you the whole game, some play wide, some narrow. It's brilliant.

My best game so far has been Wigan (me) 2 Boro 2. It felt like a real end-to-end Premier League match, not pretty but very physical and a great game to watch.

Hi guys...

I'm buying a new Ps3 this afternoon and i'm thinking of buying FIFA 2009 too...

Since i haven't played the demo,i'd like to ask you if it's possible to

a)To aim you pass at a specific spot in the field like in the pc version (using the mouse).

b)Make an 1-2 pass,giving the ball to your teamate and then run FREE in the field before deciding to request it back.
(that's it...not just running automatically a few yards in a straight line..)

Yhank you very much in advance.

There's no way to aim at a certain spot per se. You need to pick out a spot in your mind and then use the analog stick and power bar to make sure it ends up there. Just like FIFA08. :)

I don't think there is a way to prevent cursor change when passing like you mention.

I really recommend doing BAP Seasons as an established player - I have just started one with Rooney and you really feel as if you are Rooney, with the strength, control, shots etc. and the United team play some really good, realistic passing football.
I may have a few saves with different types of players at different teams, such as Drogba, Gerrard, Kaka, Owen etc.

Teams definitely do not play the same way now - When I play BAP Seasons at Coventry with my created player, they really are bad compared to when you play as a good team.

There's no way to aim at a certain spot per se. You need to pick out a spot in your mind and then use the analog stick and power bar to make sure it ends up there. Just like FIFA08. :)

I don't think there is a way to prevent cursor change when passing like you mention.

thank you very much for your detailed reply.
:))

I really recommend doing BAP Seasons as an established player - I have just started one with Rooney and you really feel as if you are Rooney, with the strength, control, shots etc. and the United team play some really good, realistic passing football.
I may have a few saves with different types of players at different teams, such as Drogba, Gerrard, Kaka, Owen etc.

Teams definitely do not play the same way now - When I play BAP Seasons at Coventry with my created player, they really are bad compared to when you play as a good team.

Spoken like a true sky blue...

Spoken like a true sky blue...
:LOL:

I am telling the truth though, I know we are not very good, and when I say "good team", I meant "top team". The players around you give you so many more options as a top side, it's realistic.

First game as Rooney just then I won 3-0, scored 2 goals and won a penalty (which Ronaldo missed), giving me a rating of 9.5.

Back
Top Bottom