FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Man you already played one season of MM? haha have you slept since the game was released?

Really cant wait to get home and play it some more. I am at work now - 10:15am here in Sydney. I feel the game really is something special, it has that feel to it I use to have with older PES games. You could feel it was something special when you first started playing it, you didnt quite have a grip of the controls totally yet - but you could just sense that the game was getting better and better as every game went by. I hope it's the same a few months down the track.
Anyone notice the free kick curl bug been fixed yet? In all my excitment I didnt test that out yesterday.

I got a question for the lucky few (actually alot now :| )

how is the BE A PRO season? is it objective based(like make 10 successful passes) or do you just play and if you perform well then you get promoted or whatever? do you play every single game of the season? is it like the manager mode but you only control one player?

MANAGER MODE BOLLOCKS

I've now completed a season on Manager Mode - David Villa was top goalscorer in the league with 28 goals and didn't make the team of the season.
I tell you who did make the team of the season: Hedwiges Maduro. "Who?", I hear you cry. Well, he's my midfield star of course. You know, the guy that played 45 minutes all season, obtained a score of 9 and also got player of the season!

OBVIOUSLY!

Anyways, I begin season 2. What do I see? Only the top scorers chart with Fredi Kanoute sitting pretty at the top with 4 goals. WOW, that's pretty impressive... given the fact he's played ZERO games.

Reminds me of FIFA 08 when Frazier Campbell made the team of the season from Man U (whom I was using). He played two games all season... sure, they were very good games, hat trick in one and 2 goals in the other, but come on, two bloody LEAGUE CUP games!

Obviously they do not take games played into factor and just go by highest ratings, period.

The best thing I've found about the game is destroying the countless Man Utd players as Villa, one long ball to Carew and their nice tippy tappy passing game is fucked.

I'm new to these forums and don't know what all the posting rules are here so if this is out of place or anything, just let me know. But I just got done playing the PES demo and just was wondering:

What is it about PES that people hold so dear? I just got done playing the demo a few times and can't figure out what it is about this game that people go so nuts over. I'm not trying to pick a fight or start a flamewar here, I just honestly don't get it.

The gameplay feels stiff, the ball has absolutely no physics to it that I saw, it certainly isn't anything special to look at. Doesn't seem to have nearly the intelligence that FIFA has (though that could have been the 'regular' difficulty setting I was playing on). FIFA seems miles ahead in every possible way. It must be a taste thing. I'm an avid EPL fan and think FIFA represents the real life game in far greater fashion that what the PES 2009 demo showed me.

Is there something in the days of old that made PES/WE great that people just can't seem to let go of? Because I gotta say, PES 2009 (in my eyes) certainly doesn't live up the reputation that so many people bestow upon the franchise.

What is it about PES that people hold so dear?

I honestly have no idea, I played ISS from PS1 days through to PES5 on PS2 which is longer than many here but the way some act you'd think they swore some kind of blood oath to always play PES no matter how much Konami crap on their support (And yes releasing the same version of the game since around PES3 with only minor tweaks is crapping on fan support).

Pretty good review, knowing what some of their users are like I'm sure no matter what there'll be those saying "PES > Fifa"......

Hmm this is weird:

Manager Mode, EA's attempt to compete with Konami's revered Master League, also returns in expanded form, even though it's not mentioned on the box or in the manual. It puts up another stern test, allowing you to play around with a transfer budget, field weakened teams in the cup and get turfed out by your board if you don't win enough games, which you control in standard fashion. Konami purists may feel it's a bit light next to their obsession

Wasn't it the IGN UK review that said those things as well with just slightly changed wording? Something very odd there:

Manager Mode is a little more fleshed out, and though it does falter under the weight of some cumbersome menus it offers an in-depth campaign where you'll be working your way through the boardrooms of various clubs. While it's still not as immersive as PES's Master League it's a weighty diversion nonetheless

Hmm maybe I'm just being paranoid? ;)

Last edited:
Just played the PES 2009 PC demo, and its exactly the same as 2008 just with a licensed Liverpool.

What a load of shambles, what have they done to PES, it is now a shadow of its former self. I'm a full Fifa convert now. Mind you i still play PES6 and PES6 is better than Fifa 08 for depth.

Yeah just read the eurogamer review, would have thought it was going to be a 9, considering 08 was an 8 score and how positive they were. Basicly they have scored it down because of a few niggles at the end and the subjective element of what kind of football you like to play = simulation or arcade.

As for MM, I think its just the new menu's and adding the finals stadiums. Havent read anything else.

Oh and sorry Placebo, I was a bit giddy after playing fifa for an hour.

@ Peter, I know, played the demo last night after playing fifa and it just felt so wrong. They seem to have gone backwards from pes360. And even more surprising to me was that player control felt more clunky and unresponsive then fifa's. To me, fifa's is now very close to perfect as they have adjusted the 1st touch from the demo, pes seemed to have the same 1st touch as the fifa demo.

Last edited:
can't believe people are excited over pes2009, i played the demo and then played the fifa demo afterwards and there is simply no contest...fifa is immense compared to pro evo....oh, how the mighty have fallen

Retail makes pes even worse. Its so far removed from the ps2 games that I coudl barely recognise it. It's not even amusing anymore, it's just sad.

While I agree that EA have done a wonderful job with FIFA 09 and it a superb game, there are so many little bugs (non gameplaying ones) just takes away from the experience, why do EA create such a good game but leave in annoying bugs which could have quite easily been iorned out.

I got a question for the lucky few (actually alot now :| )

how is the BE A PRO season? is it objective based(like make 10 successful passes) or do you just play and if you perform well then you get promoted or whatever? do you play every single game of the season? is it like the manager mode but you only control one player?

At the start of the season you get set three objectives like having a goal difference of +10, top three finish etc.

At the start of each match you get objectives. My BAP is a CAM so mine are nearly always a) Take two shots or b) Score a goal, win the game, win by two goals.

While I agree that EA have done a wonderful job with FIFA 09 and it a superb game, there are so many little bugs (non gameplaying ones) just takes away from the experience, why do EA create such a good game but leave in annoying bugs which could have quite easily been iorned out.

So we buy their next game in the hope that they fix it.

EA are bastards like that. Honestly, it might seem cynical but its the only explanation as to why they've 'forgot' to do simple things like let you change jobs in MM mode, or random weather and day/night cycles in tournaments.

If they don't fix these simple things in a small patch then I won't be happy, heck I'd be happy to do it for them, I know a bit of programming, how hard can it be?:-ll:LOL:

EA are bastards like that. Honestly, it might seem cynical but its the only explanation as to why they've 'forgot' to do simple things like let you change jobs in MM mode, or random weather and day/night cycles in tournaments.

If they don't fix these simple things in a small patch then I won't be happy, heck I'd be happy to do it for them, I know a bit of programming, how hard can it be?:-ll:LOL:

oh and frigging hurry up postie!!!

Hmm I'm going to get more games in before I post my review for what it's worth. I must say I'm not enamoured with it so far, though I have jumped straight into MM. There are a few annoying bugs in play and the shooting and crossing seem off to me, the MM has had things taken out while some things have been tweaked and improved it's still not as user friendly and PES used to be, why can't we compare players FFS?...
I still have seen no weather or how I could set it before starting the MM and I have had no injuries either, anyhow this is turning into the review I said I'd wait to post so that's it for now...

You can :)) Press the "Back" button on the controller (the one to the left of the big Xbox button) and then the camera focuses on your player, if you want it to focus on the ball again then just press the button again.

Really? That's awesome, thanks for telling me mate.

oh and frigging hurry up postie!!!

yeh EA are bastards... that's why David Rutter was posting on the EA's Forums last night gathering info for FiFa10 along with other EA Sports Staff right? lol

i'm positive that manager mode will be sorted by then. it was something he mentioned a few times in his media round without provocation.

I honestly have no idea, I played ISS from PS1 days through to PES5 on PS2 which is longer than many here but the way some act you'd think they swore some kind of blood oath to always play PES no matter how much Konami crap on their support (And yes releasing the same version of the game since around PES3 with only minor tweaks is crapping on fan support).

Pretty good review, knowing what some of their users are like I'm sure no matter what there'll be those saying "PES > Fifa"......

Hmm this is weird:

Wasn't it the IGN UK review that said those things as well with just slightly changed wording? Something very odd there:

Hmm maybe I'm just being paranoid? ;)

I had a chat with Tom via PM and he actually fixed his review because of the information I provided!

New text:

Manager Mode, EA's attempt to compete with Konami's revered Master League, also returns in tweaked but not expanded form, even though it's not mentioned on the box or in the manual. It puts up another stern test, allowing you to play around with a transfer budget, field weakened teams in the cup and get turfed out by your board if you don't win enough games, which you control in standard fashion. Konami purists may feel it's a bit light next to their obsession, but it's buckets more shiny water in a vast, vast well here, which also includes licensed leagues from across the world (Premier League, Championship, League 1 and 2 and FA Cup from England), albeit with randomised fixture lists.

yeh EA are bastards... that's why David Rutter was posting on the EA's Forums last night gathering info for FiFa10 along with other EA Sports Staff right? lol

i'm positive that manager mode will be sorted by then. it was something he mentioned a few times in his media round without provocation.

Still waiting for my basturd (different every day) postie's. if it doesn't come today going out and buying it, had enough (fucking Play!)

So have they fixed things in the past with prev games, with patches ?
(not used to that as been a Pes player)

A gushing review posted on C&VG

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198561

For those complaining about some things not being fixed from last year.....it's worth remembering the wealth of things that have been fixed. They can't do everything in 12 months and imo, this game has moved on remarkably in that time. Yeah, things like the manager mode are a bit frustrating but for me it's all about the gameplay and this has moved on immeasurably. They've also added in a few ground breaking features such as 10 v 10 online. Hopefully, next year manager mode will be fixed. I can guarantee though that not absolutely everything everyone wants improved from FIFA09 will be implemented because that never really happens in a 12 month development cycle. In any game

Anyone have problems with Live Season? I bought the Prem and have Serie A as my free leagues. I purchased La Liga but it doesnt say I have, but it gives me the option to download it again.... but the game itself doesnt recognize it!!!

Back
Top Bottom