FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

Really, I could almost weep to hear about Manager Mode being the same. I rarely play any game online and frankly I resent all the attention that developers lavish upon it. To the extent that in MM once again there are no night matches. How hard would it have been to insert one fucking line of code that'd run something like (in my best 1980s-style BASIC):

7000 IF dayofmatch=weekday THEN LET timeofday=night

Unbelievable. 5 minutes. Just 5 minutes, and it's sorted. Jesus H. Christ.

It's quite something when bleedin' Master League can outmuscle FIFA's equivalent.

Last edited:
Ok my rentals from Lovefilm arrived today and have spent couple of hours playing on both the 360 and PS3 versions.

First thing to report is that there is no differenece to me in either version, they look graphically almost identical and both have a solid framerate. That is good news as I felt last year FIFA 08 played better on the 360.

I played the demo a lot and again am pleased to report that if you like the demo then you will love the final version. It is without doubt the best football game that I have ever played, it looks great, plays great and gives you as sort of emotional attachement. I have also found playing as different teams gives a unique feel to the match, for example played with my friend and first we played Bolton v Blackburn, both the teams don't have the most technically gifted players and therefore possesion was lost frequently and the game was very franatic, also both teams had "big men" up front so it resulted in a more direct approach. After battling it out I managed to win 1-0 with a late goal.

Next we played Madrid v Barcelona and again it was a different kind of experience. Both teams have better players so the game was less franatic and passing was much better and the game was much less direct as the ability of the players gives you more options, I also found that the better quality of the strikers meant that they made more intelligent runs. This again was a tight affair which my friend edged 2-1.

I have to say that I am very impressed by this, never played a football game with this kind of depth and am really looking forward to playing it over the coming months. The bad news is that I have played 12 matches in MM and they have all been played in daylight and the weather was sunny for all of them. This is very disappointing and takes away from MM for me, I was led to believe that in MM there would various weather conditions and matches would be played and different times of the day. I also found that just occassionally players did random things that you could not control (ie through ball puts them one on one with the keeper and for some reason they decide to run in the opposite direction).

These few niggles aside have to say that EA have done a superb job. This game takes not just football gaming but sports gaming to another level, the gaming experience is very immersive and multi-player is going to make this game really shine and we are going to see some very competitive online leagues.

I am also looking forward to PES2009, if they can get rid of the bugs and make online work properly then PES will give me a different kind of gaming experience and that for me is a positive, what would be the point of having 2 identical games on the market.

Yet 14 days to go for me :(:(:(

Really, I could almost weep to hear about Manager Mode being the same. I rarely play any game online and frankly I resent all the attention that developers lavish upon it. To the extent that in MM once again there are no night matches. How hard would it have been to insert one fucking line of code that'd run something like (in my best 1980s-style BASIC):

It's quite something when bleedin' Master League can outmuscle FIFA's equivalent.

It's FUCKING annoying.

I'm now waiting for Fifa 10, and 09 isn't in even in the bloody shops yet.

I have also found playing as different teams gives a unique feel to the match, for example played with my friend and first we played Bolton v Blackburn, both the teams don't have the most technically gifted players and therefore possesion was lost frequently and the game was very franatic, also both teams had "big men" up front so it resulted in a more direct approach. After battling it out I managed to win 1-0 with a late goal.

Next we played Madrid v Barcelona and again it was a different kind of experience. Both teams have better players so the game was less franatic and passing was much better and the game was much less direct as the ability of the players gives you more options, I also found that the better quality of the strikers meant that they made more intelligent runs. This again was a tight affair which my friend edged 2-1.

I have to say that I am very impressed by this, never played a football game with this kind of depth and am really looking forward to playing it over the coming months.

Well, not wishing to pour cold water on things but the same is true of FIFA08. Playing Wycombe v Chester was a very different type of match to Man U v Barca in FIFA08, just as you described above for FIFA09.

Every year, people used to wax lyrical about PES too, about how this years verison was light years ahead of last years, that real football was finally realised on a console, that never before had such realism been achieved.

Then I play it for myself and find it's pretty much the same as last years.

Not having a go at you personally, just a general comment about how there is invariably a certain amount of over zealous fervour during the first few macthes of the new game, people describing "amazing" passages of play that were more realistic than real life, yet if they took the time to think about it, would realise that these exact same passges of play were in last years game too (in the case if PES, the year before that, and the year before that, too), but because people are in a more receptive and analytical mood at the release of the new game, spot things that have just passed them by for the past 10 months of playing last years game.

To those who have played games online can you save replays/goals?

To those who have played games online can you save replays/goals?

Good point, haven't checked.

1 thing I did notice though, is during cut-scenes and replays, there are 2 little boxes in the top left, and if you want to skip, the your box gets a tick, so you can watch the goals if you wish, but also can see whether your opponent does or doesn't.

There's a quick rematch too.

It's FUCKING annoying.

I'm now waiting for Fifa 10, and 09 isn't in even in the bloody shops yet.

I know how you feel. I was checking my credit card every hour over the past few days to see if the money had been taken yet. I think I'll be able to stop checking it now and if I don't get the game early (as I'd been hoping) that's fine by me.

I really am that keen on single player. I grew up playing ML on PES games, and now with FIFA09 we have an unprecedentedly high level of football gameplay hitched to a mid-1990s single-player mode. I mean, for God's sake. We've had dynamic weather effects in football games for TEN FUCKING YEARS now. I can remember it thundering and lightning in FIFA99.

Now they can enable 10 vs 10 online but they can't make it rain occasionally in single-player, they can't have midweek matches at night, they can't have a proper transfer market, they can't design competent AI managers, and they can't have playoffs in leagues where they have playoffs? I'm disgusted by this, really I am.

No doubt I'll calm down and still love FIFA09. But I won't love it nearly as much as I could and should have.

As for that much-trumpeted 10 vs 10 mode, I doubt I'll ever even try it. I got WipeoutHD the other day and I have played that online a bit. Sometimes the game hosts can take a few seconds to press start and it annoys me so much that I quit. So no, I'm not really an online kind of guy...

The thing with online is, you can't beat the feeling (for me as a Toffee) of beating somebody with a user ID like L1V3RP00L4EVR1753.

Smashing a few past an ardent fan of the red shite couldn't possibly be beaten by any AI.

:)

The bad news is that I have played 12 matches in MM and they have all been played in daylight and the weather was sunny for all of them. This is very disappointing and takes away from MM for me, I was led to believe that in MM there would various weather conditions and matches would be played and different times of the day.

The MM games are always played in daylight, even if you set the match to night in the friendly menu?

The thing with online is, you can't beat the feeling (for me as a Toffee) of beating somebody with a user ID like L1V3RP00L4EVR1753.

Smashing a few past an ardent fan of the red shite couldn't possibly be beaten by any AI.

:)

I guess you've gotta enjoy your wins against us however you can get them eh? ;))

Sadly I do not know how to check for that either, maybe Placebo knows?? thanks and sorry for the trouble

Unless EA announce it, which they seem apparently reluctant to do, the only way that I'm aware of is to create an image of the actual game and analyse it with a piece of software which tells you what the regions are locked (or not) to. It's not something the average joe in the street can do themselves.

I guess you've gotta enjoy your wins against us however you can get them eh? ;))
Much like when I beat Chelsea & Arsenal on FIFA08 EVERY time I played them, I knew it was completely and utterly real and things were changing round for the Yids, we were a world force. Until I held in the PS button and selected Turn Off System.

Unless EA announce it, which they seem apparently reluctant to do, the only way that I'm aware of is to create an image of the actual game and analyse it with a piece of software which tells you what the regions are locked (or not) to. It's not something the average joe in the street can do themselves.

Oh well guess we'll have to wait. Thanks anyways :thumbup:

its not as simple as that because AS THE DEVELOPERS SAID not all stadiums have night mode

Well, not wishing to pour cold water on things but the same is true of FIFA08. Playing Wycombe v Chester was a very different type of match to Man U v Barca in FIFA08, just as you described above for FIFA09.

Every year, people used to wax lyrical about PES too, about how this years verison was light years ahead of last years, that real football was finally realised on a console, that never before had such realism been achieved.

Then I play it for myself and find it's pretty much the same as last years.

Not having a go at you personally, just a general comment about how there is invariably a certain amount of over zealous fervour during the first few macthes of the new game, people describing "amazing" passages of play that were more realistic than real life, yet if they took the time to think about it, would realise that these exact same passges of play were in last years game too (in the case if PES, the year before that, and the year before that, too), but because people are in a more receptive and analytical mood at the release of the new game, spot things that have just passed them by for the past 10 months of playing last years game.

Totally agree.

The same old same old starts to appear after a few weeks, especially against the CPU. Only buying football games for the online, the rest is pretty much scripted crap, especially when you get to the higher levels.

I've read that it is definitely region locked on the EA forums.

They're just speculating, they don't know for certain.

its not as simple as that because AS THE DEVELOPERS SAID not all stadiums have night mode

It's not about simple/difficult, according to their answer they made a decision not to implement it because of "inconsistencies".

Paste of a comment I made on the EA forums:
The excuse is that because not all stadiums have night versions created it would be "inconsistent" to have some midweek matches at night, and some midweek matches in day, depending on which stadium the match was at. But the simple fact is that I can pretty much guarantee that 99.999999% of people who care about manager mode would rather 2 out of 20 stadiums have midweek night matches rather than 0 out of 20.

yeah inconsistent because not all stadiums have night mode :SS so if a night fixture was played at a stadium with NO night mode then it would be weird

What's more surprising is they've had in Madden for f*cking donkey's years - snow at Lambeau since PSX I'm pretty sure...

Pretty piss poor, wonder if they can fix that with a patch if enough people complain?

Won't be end of world for me, but is dissapointing.

dont worry, you will get it thrusday

my order from GAME (even though they had stock monday) is still not dispatched!!! the assholes kept the game(like they did with HALO 3) so that i dont get it too early, should still get it thursday though :D better then friday ey

Can anyone confirm (i doubt at this early stage, but meh) if the football league have play-offs this year.

If not, this is going up for sale as soon as it arrives from game as the manager mode will be ruined for me (again).

yeah inconsistent because not all stadiums have night mode :SS so if a night fixture was played at a stadium with NO night mode then it would be weird

How would it be weird? If you have a midweek match at a stadium with no night mode then the match is in daylight, if there is a night/dusk mode then it's in that, certainly far less weird an option than midweek matches in winter in perfect daylight........

Back
Top Bottom