FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

No, it's for the guys like me who watch Match of the Day and put FIFA on straight afterwards to play online. It's purely for online games and nothing else, mainly ranked matches. I'm really, really looking forward to it; it's something I've wanted to see in a football game for yonks.

You can't get any closer to "playing" Match of the Day than that.

Do you really think it will be that quick to update? The cynic in me doubts that very much.

I also worry that this feature depends entirely on the judgement of the people who score the players each week.

For example, take the Liverpool match at the weekend - Torres is man of the match and takes all the plaudits but there were a hell of a lot of good performances in red for that game so I think it'll be just based on goals scored and not much else.

Perhaps Placebo has a view on this - as an original stat man for the release maybe he's also to keep on an eye on "his" teams too?

I hope it's not like the Euro 2008 BAP ratings on CYC. If a player scores then he gets a great score, even though the player didn't do anything else.

this is a myth that London has recieved copys of this game. I have rung several game shops (independant) within a 10 mile radius to me and they all say hopefully Thursday. So it looks like Walthamstow is the only place. Im in SE London. And i have just popped in to my local Blockbuster and they WONT break release date even when i said ill come just before closing on thursday night. Damn!

Mate you will be suprised by Newcastle,the defenders get stuck in Taylor is a monster in the air, Duff keeps the ball stuck to his feet and Martins just runs at defenders.

this is a myth that London has recieved copys of this game. I have rung several game shops (independant) within a 10 mile radius to me and they all say hopefully Thursday. So it looks like Walthamstow is the only place. Im in SE London. And i have just popped in to my local Blockbuster and they WONT break release date even when i said ill come just before closing on thursday night. Damn!

Same here in Belgium m8. I'm gutted...

Do you really think it will be that quick to update? The cynic in me doubts that very much.

I also worry that this feature depends entirely on the judgement of the people who score the players each week.

For example, take the Liverpool match at the weekend - Torres is man of the match and takes all the plaudits but there were a hell of a lot of good performances in red for that game so I think it'll be just based on goals scored and not much else.

Perhaps Placebo has a view on this - as an original stat man for the release maybe he's also to keep on an eye on "his" teams too?
I'm hoping it will be Saturday night but of course that's probably hoping a bit too much, so I'm guessing it will be Sunday or Monday at some point. But it's once a week, so there's no point in doing it mid-week for example. You might as well do it as close to Saturday as possible.

You worry about the judgement of the people doing it but the data so far has been very good, even Milanista (who is very good when it comes to Italian football, he downloads the FM updates and fixes all of the Italian problems himself) said that there's some stats in there EA have done well to get right.

At the level the Live Season updates are (Premier League etc. only), they have very experienced people who have done this kind of thing before, whereas below that they will look for anyone to help because the guys who are the best at this line of work aren't going to go and watch Chester v Grimsby, and it's harder to find fans of those clubs.

All the data I've seen in FIFA 09 is sound - certainly more accurate than in PES2009 from the screenshots I've seen of the stats in that - so I'm certain the Live Season updates will be sound as well. I cannot wait, it's one of the features I'm looking forward to the most.

Last edited:
new vid, great passing:

YouTube - starsbourg metz

Trance: all i know is i'm able to adjust the amount of curl with consistency on my free kicks and corners. that seemed to be the main complaint. for me it's perfect. i've not nailed it each time. but i've not been far off many times.

i was just pointing out that the ridiculous curl you get is from taking freekicks the same way as 08. it's definitely been redone more like how ou aim while charging you serve in top spin 3. that drew criticism too as it varies from player to player how long you hold the curl/dip/backspin down.

To be honest I've not had any problems getting consistency on my curling, and I've not seen anyone complain about it. ;)

Also, FIFA08 had no problems with huge amounts of curl. In fact, curling in FIFA08, especially with the better players like Ronaldinho and such, needed to be more to be realistic. Also FIFA08 had no problems with the curl amount reacting so much to the pace of the ball. In FIFA09 the ball starts curling more as the ball looses pace, which is realistic, but it is way too exaggerated. You'll instead see the ball have almost no curl until suddenly it will whip to the side. There are also cases where the ball will not curl at all for 25 meters, even though the ball is spinning like crazy, and sometimes you can even see a hint of the ball curling slightly slightly in the opposite direction at first, to suddenly after 25 meters start suddenly move in the proper direction.

So there are alot of problems with curl and freekicking.

Also, I've struck several freekicks, and I see no indication that they've changed the system from 08 in terms of how to operate the curl stick. I will power up for the shot, and immediately press the stick in the direction I want the ball to curl, and then just hold it there until the player shoots. It gets alot of curl, and I don't see why you would feel the need to let go of the stick in a certain timing, and what you feel you achieve with this?

Until I see a dev or official guide/manual describing the system, I've got a hard time thinking that they've suddenly changed one thing to be completely different.

Also, you don't mention corners, so does that mean that you feel they aren't using the same system? That would be highly inconsistent, since a corner is a freekick from the corner flag essentially. :)

And again, I've struck alot of corners, and there is no need to let go of the stick at any point go get a good strike with lots of curl. The "timing" thing they had in 08 was that you had to press the curl direction as soon as possible after the powering up had started, to get the most curl.

Once I can play the game, I will take lots of freekicks and compare the trajectories with various timings and releases of the stick.

If you've played the full game, does in fact the curling still have the same problems as the demo in terms of the programing of the curl and the inconsistent flight paths that are very unrealistic? :)

Doesn't interest me much, I think it'll be used online too much and we'll have to play the team of the week constantly each week.

Still, better than Barca/Chelsea all year :ROLL:

Mate you will be suprised by Newcastle,the defenders get stuck in Taylor is a monster in the air, Duff keeps the ball stuck to his feet and Martins just runs at defenders.

Sounds canny

Have they included Taylors 'Ya got me' animation when he handles the ball on the line?

Btw the players faces good as well? Also is there an option to create new players and mess around with facial creation for them?

I've been a PES fan for years but went and bought the 360 as it was cheap and have taken friday afternoon off so not played the demo so will be more excited when I kick off for the first time.

The last time I was this excited about a fifa was Fifa 98 RTTWC on ps1

find a 24hour tesco they will sell it midnight thursday.

can you construct the face, i.e hair eyes nose etc?

Yes.

;))

One of the 8,000 videos released by the Korean website has him creating his Be a Pro character, that's essentially the exact same system you use to create your own footballers which can then be transferred directly into a team or made available as a "free transfer" for you or other teams to sign :)

This one: http://evoweb.thewarppipe.net/Ruliweb_Fifa09_PS3.part1.rar

Skip to about half way in and he starts creating his Be a Pro footballer, menus are of course in Korean but you can easily get the drift as to what's possible :)

Last edited:
Yes.

;))

One of the 8,000 videos released by the Korean website has him creating his Be a Pro character, that's essentially the exact same system you use to create your own footballers which can then be transferred directly into a team or made available as a "free transfer" for you or other teams to sign :)

Back of the net! :w00t:

Adidas live season is updated Midweek... on a Wednesday morning so It won't be sunday/monday for updates.

meaning if your team has a stinker you can still use them for 2-3 more days with their form of the previous week :)

Adidas live season is updated Midweek... on a Wednesday morning so It won't be sunday/monday for updates.

meaning if your team has a stinker you can still use them for 2-3 more days with their form of the previous week :)

Wednesday's a rubbish day. Surely Sunday evening would be better? Bad move by EA there.

Back
Top Bottom