FIFA 09 PS3/360 Discussion Thread

What has that got to do with Fifa09? Thank you for spoiling the match for me. Not everyone has games aired live in their region so have to watch them on delay (or watch match of the day in the evening and prefer to have it untainted by knowing results).

shit, sorry Placebo, didnt think. Ill remember next time, my apologies.

-response is still average
I don't find this at all, seems fine, the player momentum may make it seem unresponsive but that's just realistic. Also, if you're sprinting then the player will obviously perform the action after you press the button as they need to reach the ball

-Animation cycle still makes it feel clunky
Not that sure what you mean, but if you mean that animations can't be interrupted then what's bad about that? I'd rather have that than ugly animations which can be "cancelled" at almost any point, making them look even worse ala PES

-headers still lack power
I have done some very powerful headers, with players steaming in with late runs and powering it in and defensive headers seem to go a fair distance with X/B, but I agree about standing headers being a bit weak

-ball still feels floaty and light with passing and crossing
That's too vague, the passing seems very realistic and the crossing has been especially improved for 09, they can really be whipped in Beckham-esque now
I think some people's views on how heavy/light/floaty a football is is blurred by what it was like in PES, with the ball knocking players over etc. A football is light and hangs in the air for some time when played long.

-shooting is improved but just never gives me the same satisfaction as any PES ever......still feels weightless
Again, the weight/floatiness of a football issue here.
I think the shots get too much backspin, but apart from that they seem just as good as they have in PES
I think the fact that the keepers are fairly realistic in 09 makes shooting frustrating to some people because in PES the keepers would let shots in from anywhere, on FIFA you need to think more about when to shoot/where to shoot from. Finesse shots very impressive to me on 09, their trajectory seems very realistic.
PES "controlled shots" (essentially the same concept as FIFA "finesse shots") never impressed me, and you never felt like the player was trying to wrap their foot around the ball to bend it into the corners, it just felt like a less powerful shot with a bit more accuracy.
Replies in bold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, sorry to be a dick about it but sometimes you can be looking forward to a match and someone spoils it so I try to pre-empt that by whinging about any leaks ;)

no ur right, i have been here long enough to know not to post the results. Guess i was frustrated and wasnt thinking. Watched it over the comp see and had this sited already loaded up. Again apologies.

Placebo needs some premiership anger management or a way of getting the games live! :P

made the same mistake a few weeks back to wildster when spurs lost lol felt the placebo rant :)

I wasn't trying to be an arse, I'm just pointing out what happened last year with a lot of people and that's what was ruining it. It's no offence to you, any game gets worse when you play it so often that you start seeing the same things. I played FIFA non-stop, I played it longer than I've played PES for since I was in college (which was a long old time ago), but a couple of months before Euro 2008 was released it was starting to grate, and by the time Euro 2008 was released I'd had enough.

I was just putting it there more as a reminder to myself really, so that when people start saying this time next week "LET'S START THE LEAGUE NOW YOU MISERABLE BASTARD!", I can point to that and say "let's just play around with it for a while first and enjoy it". :)

I appreciate that Chris but I dont really like being refered to as flip flopper which may well have been a reminder to you but not very well conveyed.

By seabass's own admission, PES has become an arcade game, still very enjoyable in my book and still more satisfying to bag one, but when you see Drogba celebrating for London blues it kinda just detracts from the whole experience.

FIFA is at least authentic and attempts to simualte the game very well. Is it more fun....well thats questionable for me
although i would not like to miss out on competitive, fair play games wher it may well excel.

I dunno, I get the feeling if your not 150% behind it then your not worthy of joining in. (please exscue my English, i was shocking at school and nothings changed)

Negatives:
- first touch control is not really good, the ball bounces of the players' foot way too often

Not good, or not realistic is what I wanna know. :SS

Also, I'd rather the first touch is too bad than too good. I always prefer things being worse than real life rather than the opposite (superhuman, exaggerated etc).

Looking forward to trying this, Despite the niggles I had with the demo when I first tried it, I've sort of gotten used to it, and me and my brother have had some very nice (tho short) demo games both versus each other and against the CPU on Pro difficulty. It's great that I've noticed the important change in AI behavior, now you can beat teams on PRO difficulty aswell, and so far no 3-minute solo runs from the CPU players.

I'm surprised actually, my brother and I sat and played for a really long time, and he usually doesn't want to play against anyone, just against the CPU. We both had that "just one more game" thing. :)

Picked up a copy today from that shop in walthamstow (long journey!), and after playing it for a couple of hours with a mate can say that it is a SERIOUS game, my mate and myself have been proper PES nuts over the previous years and used to hate on fifa, but I gotta say this is soooo much better than PES, even my mate who was the biggest pes enthusiast was saying how he loved fifa 09.

Played 5-6 games, first one was portsmouth vs my mate as barcelona, n I beat him 3-2, Defoe is really good on the game, very pacey.

Played as tottenham man city n liverpool aswel from the prem, liverpool by far the best, man city were quite good aswell, but tottenham were just like real life tottenham, full of promise but quite poor!

Will try get some screenshots up for those doubters out there, so if you lot have any requests I'll try put em up.

I can't believe how much they suck at this game. Pass - run - run - run - shoot the ball hell out of the field. Pass - run - run - run - run - run - run ....... run - run ..... shoot ..... GOOOO ... Oh no sorry.

The game looks so bad when they play it like that. They play it like it was PES they have put in their console. You need to play decent build up play. That's what this game is all about.

you really have to play this like a real game of footy. i used the shield on the edge of the box in combination with the right stick with drogba. un-fucking-touchable. people make serious runs around you when you do that.

also freekick curl is fine. hold your desired curl when the bar is charging. you don't hold it for the whole time. it's kinda like serving in top spin 3. it's really good.

more skill required.

Im hoping and praying Leeds have the right fecking kits this season, last season was just so depressing with EA installing the wrong kits into the game.

Maybe Fernandez can confirm for me? :))

my little girl goes in hospital for a minor op on thursday so wont have time to hunt for it so will just have to settle for getting it friday. Unless my local blockbuster will break release date late thursday night for me. Anyone know if blockbuster do this?

It's Blockbuster policy that even staff cannot purchase games before release date. Though you could always ask since it's down to the member of staff whether they want to risk being disciplined over it.

Back
Top Bottom